shape
carat
color
clarity

Catmom''s aqua

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bookworm240

Shiny_Rock
I was just drooling over Catmom''s ring in the solitaire thread. She said her stone has a gray modifier. What does that mean?

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi bookworm, thanks about my ring! If you look closely at the stone, there is a grey undertone to the blue. It''s not a clear blue. Most stones have some sort of modifier. Look at garnets that you usually see in a mall store and they almost always have a brown undertone. Hope this helps. Maybe one of the experts can explain it better.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I am no expert, but my aqua has a gray modifier too. As Catmom said, the color of the sapphire is blue, but it is not a pure blue, there is some gray mixed in. According to the experts, it is not a desirable thing to have in an aqua, and I see why, at certain angles, the gray does show up. However, it does make the color look darker without adding a lot of cost, and a pure blue darker aqua is expensive (believe me i have looked). It was a gift from my father who does not know gem stones. He saw a ton of light blue aquas, and than saw this one, and loved the overall color. When I eventually set my aqua (if I can ever win an auction on ebay), I will set it in a way to bring out the blue. I got a lot of great suggestions here.

Catmom, I need to find your aqua now.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
I tried to explain the grey modifiers to one poster (and hopefully I succeeded) on page 2 of THIS thread.

bookworm240

Shiny_Rock
Thanks all. I love the color of your stone, Catmom. I have been trying to figure out a way to describe the color I want. Maybe gray undertone is the term I need to use. My jeweler was pushing a very blue aqua. So blue it looks like a topaz....but I like a more sea foam color.

Just looked at your post Mr. Ma Ra, I think the color I want is the same as that tourmaline. Is it possible?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
"Knitwit" ( a PS'er ) has a gorgeous blue aquamarine without any grey modifier to my eye. You can see it in her avitar. It's a specialty concave cut by lapidary Richard Homer. However, some people do like the grey as it can sometimes look more like an aqua, but the grey actually gives the stone less value to varying degrees. Almost all aquas have varying shades of grey (check out the myriad of aquas on ParaibaInternational.com's website). It's rare to have one with extremely minimal grey, so you might want to consider that, however, you have to like it as well. Check out Raymond Yard's website for some of the most gorgeous vivid blue aquas you'll ever see.

Aquas also sometimes have more green in them, and a while back, it would make the stone less valuable, but now the green modifier is becoming "in" again. Tourmalines can be a green blue as well, but you have to be very careful about ones that go black in incandescent light. It's very difficult to find what is called an open blue green tourmaline, and they're getting very pricey.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/4/2009 8:24:43 AM
Author: bookworm240
Thanks all. I love the color of your stone, Catmom. I have been trying to figure out a way to describe the color I want. Maybe gray undertone is the term I need to use. My jeweler was pushing a very blue aqua. So blue it looks like a topaz....but I like a more sea foam color.

Just looked at your post Mr. Ma Ra, I think the color I want is the same as that tourmaline. Is it possible?
It is, but you should then look for an unheated aquamarine, as they exhibit this greenish blue color (except the most valuable pieces which are totally blue). You could also check out green beryl, as you might find something interesting among them too, and green beryl is basically the same thing as aquamarine but with a different element giving it color (so they''re like cousins as aquamarine is also a beryl, just like emerald, morganite and some others).

Your jeweller was suggesting stones which are more blue simply because:

a) they''re more sought after (considered better and there''s a higher demand for them)
b) they''re more expensive so he''ll probably make a bigger profit by selling you such a stone.

But if you like light blue with some green and grey to it, there''s no reason why you shouldn''t get yourself such an aqua.

HERE is a very useful link for a newbie to start understanding color in gemstones a bit better.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

bookworm. it sounds like you are describing an unheated aqua. Unheated aquas have a green tone to them that gives them that sea color. I much prefer an unheated aqua because I love that color tone. The heating process takes out the green. Here is a picture of my unheated pear aqua.

cmsaquapear01.jpg

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/4/2009 10:11:04 AM
Author: Catmom

bookworm. it sounds like you are describing an unheated aqua. Unheated aquas have a green tone to them that gives them that sea color. I much prefer an unheated aqua because I love that color tone. The heating process takes out the green. Here is a picture of my unheated pear aqua.
A pear aqua.....my mouth dropped when I saw that pic!
23.gif

Catmom, that stone is perfection! Have you decided if you are going to set this beauty?

bookworm240

Shiny_Rock
Catmom Why do you have all of the beautiful things??? Is there anything left for me???...hee, hee

While looking at knwit''s aqua (LOVELY) I noticed brown eyed girl''s tourmaline. That is the color I am going for. Both my children''s birthstone is Aqua, so for sentimental reasons, I was thinking of an aqua. But I like the seafoam color.

I have read that the blue color are more valuable, but I at 98% sure that would rather have the color I love then the one that is more valuable. Does that make sense???

Thanks for the links and education....I''ll keep you posted.

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is beautiful Michelle! ....and I enjoy all the info I just read, learning something new everyday!!!

bookworm240

Shiny_Rock
This is the color I would like....but not 12 carats; looking more like 1 carat and not for $1,200 :)

2Aqua.jpg

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aww thanks platrock and bookworm! bookworm, I agree....go for the color you love over someone elses idea of perfection.

Platrock, it has been set in a pendant. Here''s a pic........

cmsaquapendant016.jpg

knitwit

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/4/2009 8:34:01 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover
''Knitwit'' ( a PS''er ) has a gorgeous blue aquamarine without any grey modifier to my eye. You can see it in her avitar. It''s a specialty concave cut by lapidary Richard Homer.

TL thank you for the kind words about my aqua. I just wanted to say that my aqua was cut by Gene at Precision Gems who also does a spectacular job on concave cuts. Just wanted to give credit where credit is due.
2.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/4/2009 10:40:38 AM
Author: knitwit
''Knitwit'' ( a PS''er ) has a gorgeous blue aquamarine without any grey modifier to my eye. You can see it in her avitar. It''s a specialty concave cut by lapidary Richard Homer.

TL thank you for the kind words about my aqua. I just wanted to say that my aqua was cut by Gene at Precision Gems who also does a spectacular job on concave cuts. Just wanted to give credit where credit is due.
2.gif
My apologies. Gene does an awesome job with concave cutting, but he rarely cuts in that style. I had thought you once mentioned it was from Richard Homer. Well, it''s gorgeous no matter who cut it!!

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/4/2009 10:40:38 AM
Author: knitwit

2.gif

I had no idea that was an aqua in your avatar knitwit. I get so behind on threads in this forum that I can keep. It is just a fabulous!

...and Michelle.............SWOOON! I love your jewelry collection! That pendant is also fabulous!

Bookworm, I hope you can find a beautiful aqua in the color you desire. I think that is what is so fun about hunting for a gemstone.....getting the color that is your own personal preference!! I personally like Aquas to have a touch of green in them.
30.gif

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/4/2009 10:30:16 AM
Aww thanks platrock and bookworm! bookworm, I agree....go for the color you love over someone elses idea of perfection.

How in the world did I miss this???

I only have one word for this pendant.....see below:

wowzer.gif

bookworm240

Shiny_Rock
Here is another one I think is beautiful; but it''s 14 carats. Why are these stones so large? Can they be re-cut smaller? Does anyone specialize in smaller stones?

aquamarine6.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/4/2009 10:54:18 AM
Author: platinumrock

Date: 4/4/2009 10:30:16 AM

How in the world did I miss this???

I only have one word for this pendant.....see below:

wowzer.gif
I agree, and that is simply one of the most elegant and classy pendants I have seen. It reminds me of an Edwardian period piece.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks CCN, platrock and TL!

TL, that means a lot to me. The design was my own. I spent several afternoons at my jewelers saying "I want this and that", etc.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/4/2009 10:58:15 AM
Here is another one I think is beautiful; but it''s 14 carats. Why are these stones so large? Can they be re-cut smaller? Does anyone specialize in smaller stones?
The simplest answer would be - cause more depth (size) means a more saturated color. When there''s more material through which light passes, it''s "journey" takes longer so the light is able to capture and reflect more color; so as a result, the stone gets a richer color. God, this is anything but an expert explanation, but I think you get it. Think of a glass of drink (something colored, not water
9.gif
) - the less drink there is in a glass, it''s color is lighter; same thing. And all gemstone materials of lighter tones (aquamarines, morganites, kunzites etc.) are cut in larger sizes, so that the color turns out as saturated as possible. That also means that most small stones are rather pale, but there are exceptions.

BTW, you should definately get what YOU like, cause you''ll be the one wearing the stone.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Catmom,
That aquamarine pear looks almost like a Richard E stone. Is it? Who cut it?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Smaller stone = lighter looking stone unless the small stone naturally has a very saturated colour.

Not only that, 1 large stone sells for more than 2 little stones.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I purchased a small and nicely saturated aqua on ebay. It''s only one carat, but you can definitely see the blue!! I think that a top color small stone is worth more than a bazillion carat light stone. I much rather have the former as well. There are saturated aquas in small sizes, but they''re getting harder and harder to come by. Most aqua is very pale. Catmom''s aqua isn''t gigantic, but it''s nice because it has saturation of color, which also makes it more valuable.

bookworm240

Shiny_Rock
What does on do with a 14 carat stone? I guess I will just have to be on a quest to find the perfect (for me) stone. Thanks for explaining the color and supporting me to get what "I" want!!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/4/2009 1:45:06 PM
Author: Chrono
Catmom,
Not Richard E. The last time I mentioned who cut it I got smacked so I don''t think I can say. Just suffice it to say the "E" as a last initial is correct.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/4/2009 3:44:58 PM

Date: 4/4/2009 1:45:06 PM
Author: Chrono
Catmom,
Not Richard E. The last time I mentioned who cut it I got smacked so I don''t think I can say. Just suffice it to say the ''E'' as a last initial is correct.
Yes, that''s who I meant. Sorry. I know who it is now. Thanks.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Catmom - that pear is gorgeous! You have such good taste and such beautiful jewelry!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks tyty!!!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/4/2009 10:21:06 AM
Catmom Why do you have all of the beautiful things??? Is there anything left for me???...hee, hee

While looking at knwit''s aqua (LOVELY) I noticed brown eyed girl''s tourmaline. That is the color I am going for. Both my children''s birthstone is Aqua, so for sentimental reasons, I was thinking of an aqua. But I like the seafoam color.

I have read that the blue color are more valuable, but I at 98% sure that would rather have the color I love then the one that is more valuable. Does that make sense???

Thanks for the links and education....I''ll keep you posted.
Because, she put a jewelry hex on her hubby right after they got married. He''s been buying her beautiful baubles ever since.
11.gif
2.gif

I do so love that pear. *sigh*

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results