shape
carat
color
clarity

Catch all thread - talk or better yet show us

IslandBB

Shiny_Rock
Re: Catch all thread - talk or better yet show us

That's absolutely stunning! I have for most of my life been a dainty jewel girl... Your piece really makes me think twice though! It's so elegant and unique!

Vesper|1486774376|4127305 said:
Sungura|1486772952|4127297 said:
Vesper That mayan inspired Legrandite pendant is as awesome as I hoped it would be . I had really really high hopes. Pre-colombian designs are so interesting to me. I love there organic lines. So very happy for you. I would like to see it more and more. Maybe a neck shot!
I am completely in love. I started to look at legrandite because is oxidized arsenic and my Grandmother's favorite movie was " Arsenic and Old Lace." Then I really fell in love with it. One of the reasons my I appreciate my jeweler so much is he appreciates jewelry as an art and a science. When I met with him he would discuss the importance of the stone (something not everyone believes in) and he stressed how important it was to respect the stone and the Aztec images. The whole process was really beautiful and sounds silly when I write it. I just can't believe the time he put into it. He literally met with a geologist to make sure he was handlingthe stone.

img_20170210_194114.jpg

Vesper

Shiny_Rock
Premium

Well thank you! I really lucked out that my jeweler got it and actually pulled off what I wanted even better than I could have imagined.

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I also like roughs being set! I have some as well but not as uniquely designed as yours. Very unique necklace Vesper! Nice one!

S

SparkliesLuver

Thank you so much, austinj- yes, I did finally get some! :D They actually look incredibly close to what you see there. It's crazy. The vendor said they're not top quality cobalts but, to be totally honest with you, I'm keeping them anyway cause they're both super pretty blue spinels. And I didn't really pay cobalt pricing for them so I'm okay either way. I did, however, pay cobalt pricing for a .81ct top quality piece of rough. I plan to have it cut later this year, so we'll see how it turns out. Fun times!

This is the only picture I have so far of the big tourmaline. It's only a touch more pastel than what you see here but the hue is spot on. I couldn't be happier with how it turned out! I'll post more pictures in separate threads later. :)

Thank you, Acinom! :)

You're way too sweet and kind, Minou. And that compliment from you means so much to me. Thank you. Yes, Jeff White amazes me with his abilities. He's truly a master of his craft, and I love working with him. I also really enjoy his communication throughout the process, especially when he sends pictures of the rough. I love keeping that stuff! The big round completely stands on its own - if I didn't know it was from Afghanistan, I would potentially mistake it for a paraiba. I do want to take a picture of it with my paraiba sometime, just for comparison sake. That said, I'm beyond excited to get the Nigerian stone. Jeff said it's a bit more pastel than the big round but it has that glow about it. So we'll see! :appl:

_39142.jpg

Vesper

Shiny_Rock
Premium

Seaglow|1489134493|4138753 said:
I also like roughs being set! I have some as well but not as uniquely designed as yours. Very unique necklace Vesper! Nice one!
Thank you! With legrandite it normally only grows in very thin rods. This was the most clear specimen I have ever seen. It was part of an old collection and I lucked out finding it.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium

SparkliesLuver|1489151034|4138793 said:
Thank you so much, austinj- yes, I did finally get some! :D They actually look incredibly close to what you see there. It's crazy. The vendor said they're not top quality cobalts but, to be totally honest with you, I'm keeping them anyway cause they're both super pretty blue spinels. And I didn't really pay cobalt pricing for them so I'm okay either way. I did, however, pay cobalt pricing for a .81ct top quality piece of rough. I plan to have it cut later this year, so we'll see how it turns out. Fun times!

This is the only picture I have so far of the big tourmaline. It's only a touch more pastel than what you see here but the hue is spot on. I couldn't be happier with how it turned out! I'll post more pictures in separate threads later. :)

You're way too sweet and kind, Minou. And that compliment from you means so much to me. Thank you. Yes, Jeff White amazes me with his abilities. He's truly a master of his craft, and I love working with him. I also really enjoy his communication throughout the process, especially when he sends pictures of the rough. I love keeping that stuff! The big round completely stands on its own - if I didn't know it was from Afghanistan, I would potentially mistake it for a paraiba. I do want to take a picture of it with my paraiba sometime, just for comparison sake. That said, I'm beyond excited to get the Nigerian stone. Jeff said it's a bit more pastel than the big round but it has that glow about it. So we'll see! :appl:

Gosh, this tourmaline is seriously blowing my mind! :love: :love:
I can't wait to see what you do with it. And you know, if you ever decide to part ways with this beauty (yeah right..lol :lol: ), I'll be waiting in the sidelines.

S

SparkliesLuver

haha Thanks, elle. It definitely blew my mind and still does every time I look at it. I actually think I have a pretty solidified design in mind - it's just getting the piggy bank back up to where it should be. :wall: As soon as I saw it, it secured a spot in my "never sell" lineup; however, it doesn't hurt to put that out there. I know I've said it to others! :)

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

elle_71125|1489160819|4138869 said:
SparkliesLuver|1489151034|4138793 said:

Gosh, this tourmaline is seriously blowing my mind! :love: :love:
I can't wait to see what you do with it. And you know, if you ever decide to part ways with this beauty (yeah right..lol :lol: ), I'll be waiting in the sidelines.

I agree - that is a gorgeous, gorgeous, GORGEOUS color and phenomenal size!

S

SparkliesLuver

Thank you so much, Minou. I'm still in a bit of shock about the whole thing, to tell you the absolute truth. And I didn't expect it to end up so large or clean - it was the true definition of a pleasant surprise!

Vesper

Shiny_Rock
Premium

I want to post my birthday present from my husband. It is a coral necklace from around 1850 and has not been treated. I am in love with the clasp. (I am not sure if coral should go here on in the pearl section.)
unnamed__4__4.jpg
unnamed__3__4.jpg
unnamed__5_.jpg

S

SparkliesLuver

I received the trio of tourmalines today and I absolutely love them. I think they might become a 3-stone ring since they're so well matched in terms of color and cut. Just had to share! :oops:

bigtourm.jpg

smalltourm.jpg

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium

SparkliesLuver talk about gorgeous color. I would love to see those in a three stone ring. Great idea. :naughty:

Have you gotten the copper bearing tourmaline yet? Or did you send that straight to the lab.

S

SparkliesLuver

Thank you, elle! I don't have a 3-stone ring, so it seems perfect. I can't believe I finally found this color!

I have not. I never do that as I always want to get my grubby hands on them first. :lol: :naughty:

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium

SparkliesLuver|1489426156|4139732 said:
Thank you, elle! I don't have a 3-stone ring, so it seems perfect. I can't believe I finally found this color!

I have not. I never do that as I always want to get my grubby hands on them first. :lol: :naughty:

Who could blame you. :D I'm always so impressed by people that can send it straight to the lab or straight to be put in a setting. I'm far to impatient for that. Like you, I always want to play with it first. :lol:

S

SparkliesLuver

haha :) Same here - I could never do that! But I get that for some it makes (financial) sense to do it that way, especially when you're talking about international shipping and stuff. Alas, I'm picky, and I want to make sure I love it first.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Stunning new stones Sparkliesluver!! I am amazed by this selection and looking forward to see how you will set these. You have such an impressive collection. Hopefully you will treat us on a huge family pic once you have received your stones.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oh Lordy, those are phenomenal! I don't know how he does it, but man, that guy finds the best colors. SL, you are lucky to have such gorgeousness.

S

SparkliesLuver

I have no idea how he does it either, Minou. I really don't, but he consistently does! It's pretty incredible. Thank you again so much. I'm not usually a lucky person, but I do agree that I'm super lucky to have acquired these!

S

SparkliesLuver

Thank you, Acinom! Coming from you, that's a huge compliment! I'll try to take a family picture sometime. :)

S

SparkliesLuver

For those who asked, I did receive the JW copper-bearing tourmaline yesterday. While it was a pretty stone and very well cut, I did send it back. It just wasn't the stone for me at this time, but I'm sure it'll make someone else very happy. Please reach out to Jeff directly if you'd like information about it. :)

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Did you take any pictures? Did you find it lacking in some way, or just not comparable for the price?

S

SparkliesLuver

NKOTB said:
Did you take any pictures? Did you find it lacking in some way, or just not comparable for the price?

I did not. It wasn't lacking - it just didn't totally grab me like the big round and the 3-stone suite I just got did. Admittedly, it was up against some seriously stiff competition!

S

SparkliesLuver

I've had bad luck with sapphires - a couple have come back from AGL as synthetic. The only one I have came from rough I bought and had cut. I never thought I'd own a natural hot pink sapphire, so needless to say I'm over the moon with this. It was native cut and I had the pavilion tweaked. It finished at 1.23cts. It came back from AGL last week as natural and unheated. :D

Sapphire.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful sapphire Sparkliesluver! You are on a roll:D

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I broke out my blue spinel ring to study the shoulders for another project, and couldn't resist snapping a quick pic of it to share.
IMG_1582.JPG

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats SparkliesLuver. That hot pink sapphire is gorgeous. :love:

S

SparkliesLuver

Thank you, Acinom! haha I'm definitely done for awhile. A long while. :lol: It's time I start setting what I have.

Thanks, elle! :D I'll have to take better pictures of it sometime since that's just a crappy office picture. I'm still shocked it's really mine. Super thankful!

Vesper

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I wanted to share my Axinite! I am not sure exactly which it is (4 forums of it are in the same family and all called Axinite so I need to figure that out.) I am happy to have one this size, .75 cts, with good clarity.
unnamed (2).jpg
unnamed (3).jpg

livannie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone! I just wanted to brag about my new ring I have had for over a month now. I am so lucky Neil sold it to me and it really is my dream sapphire ring.

I have wanted a blue sapphire this size and this color for a long time now and was hoping to save up and find something as beautiful someday but it is more beautiful than anything I could have found and have had made myself. I love that it is vintage and from 1983. I am a huge fan of the 80’s, even though I was born in '85 and didn't live too long in that decade. 80’s music is my all time favorite.

Something else cool about the ring is that on the appraisal Neil sent with the ring, it has the date May 13, 1983. May 13, 2005 was the day I met my husband and the day we got married exactly one year later.

Anyways, the ring is very special and a ring I will keep forever. I wouldn't change one thing about it. I absolutely love it and think my obsession with colored stones might be over, for a while at least ;-)

I just wanted to share a few pics because I am obsessed with taking pictures of it.

IMG_0418.JPG

IMG_0669.JPG

IMG_0742.JPG

IMG_1058.JPG

IMG_0976.JPG

IMG_0615.JPG

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is beautiful Livannie!!! It looks great on you and what an amazimg coincidence! Congrats!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results