carat
color
clarity

Catch all thread - talk or better yet show us

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
Re: Catch all thread - talk or better yet show us

davi_el_mejor|1307722857|2942569 said:
Can't wait to see more pictures your guys' projects!

Here's something I should be getting from Dana soon :naughty:

Yum, luvin' that Tanzi!

bluebirrrd

Shiny_Rock

See, the thing with gems is that even when you say you're not buying anything new for a while it can all go out the window so easily. I'm waiting for two new things that should be arriving next week.

The rhodolite garnet is 7mm. I have a feeling it may either be too dark, or not my cup of tea color wise. I love the photo though and I have to see for myself. The Afghan tourmaline is 6x5mm and I've been watching it for a long time. I posted it once on PS and was told it's probably not well saturated. I just really want to see it once and for all. If I don't like it at least I can send it back and stop checking up on it over and over again.

rhodolite.png

thumbnail2.img.png

purplemelody

Rough_Rock

I received the red spinel from Dana and I love it. It's a bit dark indoor, but once there's a light source shining on it, it sparkles and gives off this mysterious orangy red colour. Going to set this in a cushion halo pendant after I've set my periwinkle/purple spinel into a ring first. :D

Taking outdoor under bright sunlight
redspinel1468.jpg
redspinel1466.jpg

bluebirrrd

Shiny_Rock

Seems like it's been kind of slow and all of the sudden lots of people have new things! I picked up 6 pieces from the jeweler today. One was my mint garnet and rose gold LOGR mounting and all the others were minor repairs, cleanings, resizing etc. I could have bought a new ring with the money I spent, but now it's like I have 6 new things instead of 1! Here's a peek...

100_4755.jpg

100_4740.jpg

100_4782.jpg

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Bluebrrd, your bracelet is so interesting! Does it have a story?

bluebirrrd

Shiny_Rock

Crasru, it was a custom piece made for my aunt by her favorite jewelry artist. It's very special to me. It has several types of metal, sliding parts, hinges, different textures, different gems, and it's reeaally hard to clean. I had the clasp adjusted and now it's sparkly like new again. I may start a thread on it so I can show pictures of it from all angles.

FallenRox

Shiny_Rock

It hasn't been nice enough out for me to try to take sunny artsy pictures of the beginnings of my little spinel collection but I tried to take some inside. They are not good, but I'm posting one to try to inspire me to get better at taking pictures of them! I'm missing one because it's not here yet, but I'm hoping to get some good shots of it before it gets sent off.

Keep in mind, I'm brand new at all this, and these are not "ideal" stones, but they were my learning experience into figuring out what I like and how things look online sometimes versus real life. I've only sent one back so far... because I felt I paid more for it than I should have based on actual life (lack) lustre versus online BANG-POP lustre.

They might all look the same to you guys, but they aren't in RL. I just stink at capturing them (for now) :)
(oh... and excuse the fingerprints) :oops:

karis pretties.jpg

Kismet

Ideal_Rock

I'll be picking up my new spess ring today!

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Looking forward to the pictures, kismet!

bluebirrrd

Shiny_Rock

Kismet, I saw your spess ring in another thread and I love it. Very unique and artistic.

I received my rhodolite asscher and Afghan tourmaline. I'm returning the rhodolite because it's too dark to show off the windmill facets. I'll probably be returning the tourm too. With some of the money I get back, I'm purchasing this instead, a watermelon tourmaline slice, another thing that's on my "list." They're not cheap so I didn't get a really large one. It's also a bit hard to find them with nice polish and unchipped edges. This one doesn't have the traditional green rind, but I thought it was really pretty. Again, we'll have to see how it looks in person.

il_570xN.120071031.jpg

happybear

Shiny_Rock

After seeing all the beautiful gems here, I couldn't help myself and ended buying a few for myself :naughty:

Right now, my favourite is this lavender pink spinel. Although it looks somewhat washed out when put against my skin, I still like its sparkle. I hope a setting with diamond halo can make it more distinctive. Besides that I can't decide if I want it to be a pendant (but I can't admire it while wearing!) or make it a ring (but I already have other rings!). Anyway, I won't be setting it anytime soon, so I'll weigh my options.

And here are my gemstone family. I posted some of these in the sticky thread comparing IRL with vendor photos.

Lavender Pink Spinel.jpg

My Colored Stones.jpg

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yay my LOGR for my malaya came in!

Now I just need to find time to get it set.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Lanbo setting came for my mint garnet heart. He did a fantastic job, as this is not a standard callibrated size heart, and it's so hard to get heart settings done properly. So both MTG and I are excited to get to the jewelers to get our gems set!! :appl:

Attached is the photo I sent him with the stone and measurements, which I think helped.

TLlanboheart1.JPG

TLlanboheart2.JPG

TLlanboheart3.JPG

Mintgarnetheart.JPG

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock

oh TL that is beautiful!!!!!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ForteKitty|1308600340|2950407 said:
oh TL that is beautiful!!!!!

Thanks Forte,
I was really worried about this setting too, as it was a heart, which is so much trickier than an oval, round, etc. . .

It's the same setting I have a pink pear spinel in, but I had him modify it for a heart. I wasn't crazy about the many heart shaped settings I saw.

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock

OOOHHH TL, that's gonna look great set. And substantial!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

herekittykitty|1308603865|2950468 said:

Thank you HKK!!

Here's a preview pic. The stone is on a slight angle as it won't sit perfectly flat in the setting, although it fits well. Photo taken in natural diffused sunlight. I can't wait to get it set and outside for some sunshine shots!! All that sparkle. Yes, I'm giddy. ;))

14K rose gold.

TLmintgarnetlanbo3.JPG

Okie_girl

Shiny_Rock

Oooh, that mint garnet is lovely, TL!

Here's something I snagged from a reselling site. The tourmaline is pretty, but I was more interested in the setting. Not sure if I'll set something else in it, I just think it's such a classic, pretty setting.

Indicolite tourmaline.jpg

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium

TL|1308604137|2950477 said:
herekittykitty|1308603865|2950468 said:

Thank you HKK!!

Here's a preview pic. The stone is on a slight angle as it won't sit perfectly flat in the setting, although it fits well. Photo taken in natural diffused sunlight. I can't wait to get it set and outside for some sunshine shots!! All that sparkle. Yes, I'm giddy. ;))

14K rose gold.

What a BEAUTY!!!!!, TL

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks Zesfullybling!! Tomorrow, I'm off to the jewelers with it!! :naughty:

FallenRox

Shiny_Rock

TL|1308599889|2950402 said:
Lanbo setting came for my mint garnet heart. He did a fantastic job, as this is not a standard callibrated size heart, and it's so hard to get heart settings done properly. So both MTG and I are excited to get to the jewelers to get our gems set!! :appl:

Attached is the photo I sent him with the stone and measurements, which I think helped.

I don't even like heart settings for rings, and that is bad Azz!! It's really gorgeous. Congrats on another beauty!!!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

FallenRox|1308691835|2951300 said:
TL|1308599889|2950402 said:

I don't even like heart settings for rings, and that is bad Azz!! It's really gorgeous. Congrats on another beauty!!!

I don't like hearts that much either, but I do love minty garnets, so I had to have it. Thanks FallenRox.

Hera

Ideal_Rock

Okie_girl|1308669222|2951020 said:

Here's something I snagged from a reselling site. The tourmaline is pretty, but I was more interested in the setting. Not sure if I'll set something else in it, I just think it's such a classic, pretty setting.

I was just looking at that today and wondering who bought it (because I would have!). What a great deal and while a bit dark, I like the stone anyways! Glad someone here got it!

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Im waiting impatiently to receive my semi mount from overseas so I can put my pink tourmaline in it. :wacko: :twirl:

ring1.jpg

6-21e.jpg

faegrace

Shiny_Rock

ZB ~

I am sooo glad that pink tourmaline found its rightful home! :appl: It will be absolutely lovely in that setting too.

~ faegrace

merilenda

Brilliant_Rock

What a pretty pink tourm, ZB! Can't wait to see it set!

Okie_girl

Shiny_Rock

heraanderson|1308699267|2951395 said:
Okie_girl|1308669222|2951020 said:

I was just looking at that today and wondering who bought it (because I would have!). What a great deal and while a bit dark, I like the stone anyways! Glad someone here got it!

Thanks, heraanderson, the ring came yesterday, and it is just lovely! The stone is pretty, but definitely dark, but I just couldn't pass up the setting. I think it screams for a lighter stone, maybe a delicious minty garnet or a lavender spinel.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

Will someone PLEASE restrain me from setting stones so I can save save save for an item a bit more expensive than my normal purchases?!?!?!?!

I'm having major problems restraining myself. MAJOR!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock

ooo can do eeet Freke! You can hold off and save I know you can! Eyes on the prize..I'll be your cheerleader.

erinl

Brilliant_Rock

I just got this faceted hydrophane welo opal from Dan Stair in the mail today. It's 1.72 carats, 8.48 mm. It is even prettier in real life. My almost three year said it looks like sparkly rainbow clouds!

172Opal.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results