Catch all thread - talk or better yet show us

LittleRed

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Last edited:

Rare gem lover

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Aw, thank you. Honestly, it's just not the right time. I wanted to be impulsive but my best friend brought me back to reality. :lol: I hope you do too! Oh yeah? Cool! I suppose I should check that out. ;-)

I completely get it.

I spent every last dollar I didn’t have for this one and will have to clear out my jewellery box for it, so it better be worth it! :)

Rare gem lover

Shiny_Rock
Trade
333CFA6F-C2EA-49E4-A9C2-D99A2E923EFB.jpeg Just got this grey spinel ring out of the safe this week and realized I don’t think I’ve posted this before. I need to start wearing what I have instead of trying to hoard ever more stones that will sit unset!

Beautiful !! Looks a bit lavender too. So pretty!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
63D0895E-C92F-45B7-89A0-2AF49F555D63.jpeg 2709C2C6-63A1-4AB2-800B-BEA678077A7A.jpeg 17FDB4BA-D9C3-4D5A-A87A-B16F961D6074.jpeg D717818F-112A-4C9E-A4DE-8AFE5B65B2C1.jpeg 8E4FCE13-AE45-4903-94D5-D6EAFA6A8BC7.jpeg
I’d like to see that. I’m sorry about your opal though. :cry2:

Here are some pics of the badly crazed, faceted opal due to water loss and maybe too hot cutting? ( I heard about that from a gemologist friend, but I’d not heard of that before, so idk if it’s true.) I got this at a gem fair about 18 years ago. It’s not a huge loss, having paid $500 for it, before I knew much about gems. I loved the blue and yellow sheen. It is a Jelly opal with sheen rather than color play, and clearly had a lot of water molecules in it. Worst thing is, my daughter likes it and still believes it should be set. :think:

Rare gem lover

Shiny_Rock
Trade
63D0895E-C92F-45B7-89A0-2AF49F555D63.jpeg 2709C2C6-63A1-4AB2-800B-BEA678077A7A.jpeg 17FDB4BA-D9C3-4D5A-A87A-B16F961D6074.jpeg D717818F-112A-4C9E-A4DE-8AFE5B65B2C1.jpeg 8E4FCE13-AE45-4903-94D5-D6EAFA6A8BC7.jpeg

Here are some pics of the badly crazed, faceted opal due to water loss and maybe too hot cutting? ( I heard about that from a gemologist friend, but I’d not heard of that before, so idk if it’s true.) I got this at a gem fair about 18 years ago. It’s not a huge loss, having paid $500 for it, before I knew much about gems. I loved the blue and yellow sheen. It is a Jelly opal with sheen rather than color play, and clearly had a lot of water molecules in it. Worst thing is, my daughter likes it and still believes it should be set. :think:

I know nothing about opals, but honestly that looks really pretty! If you set it in silver maybe?

What’s the risk if you do set it?

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know nothing about opals, but honestly that looks really pretty! If you set it in silver maybe?

What’s the risk if you do set it?
Thanks! It does have a dreaminess, which is what got my attention when I saw it. It would have to be set very carefully I imagine. Bezel would be most risky but would maybe stabilize and hide the crazing around the girdle where it’s most extreme. I can see it in silver as s pendant, but don’t know who would want to take on this project lol! Maybe I could have it dipped in Opticon first or something.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks for coming back to post pics. :D I’ve never seen that kind of thing before.
I have to agree with your daughter. Even with the crazing, it’s still so beautiful! :love:
I love that pearlescent sheen. Maybe you can still set it. I don’t know in terms of durability but I still like the look. Besides, a few years ago there was this crackled nail polish trend so why not have a crackled gemstone trend?! ;)2

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for coming back to post pics. :D I’ve never seen that kind of thing before.
I have to agree with your daughter. Even with the crazing, it’s still so beautiful! :love:
I love that pearlescent sheen. Maybe you can still set it. I don’t know in terms of durability but I still like the look. Besides, a few years ago there was this crackled nail polish trend so why not have a crackled gemstone trend?! ;)2
Lol, that is hilarious! You’re right, I remember that cracked nail polish look! Also, the distressed furniture look.
If I had it dipped in Opticon, maybe that would seal it and fill some of the cracks. Though I’m not a fan of Opticon treatments at all, maybe it would protect it?

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock
That’s a beautiful ring! Good thing it’s out of storage to be worn and so we can see it too. :love:

I love your avatar! I have some bunnies and they are so sweet. Is there a thread about your bunny pendant here?

Thanks LittleRed! Sadly, I don’t own the bunny in my avatar. I love rabbits, but I’ve searched and searched and not found any great diamond bunnies. Lots of cz ones have turned up in my searches though!

voce

Ideal_Rock
Thanks LittleRed! Sadly, I don’t own the bunny in my avatar. I love rabbits, but I’ve searched and searched and not found any great diamond bunnies. Lots of cz ones have turned up in my searches though!
Custom project time! :twisted2:

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I completely get it.

I spent every last dollar I didn’t have for this one and will have to clear out my jewellery box for it, so it better be worth it! :)

I am sure it will be. The seller has a great eye for cut and color. Looking forward to your impressions when you receive it. :)

Rare gem lover

Shiny_Rock
Trade
B0994267-EA22-4F25-9C4A-0DDC7B6FD89B.jpeg B166C81F-62A5-41EB-80FA-A397F077F520.jpeg D1DEE3A5-DB5C-46E2-BB14-2508CD41F91E.png 800C60EA-5380-499B-B32B-104FB9B8058F.png It’s here! It’s unfortunately not seen in daylight yet but I have some bad indoor pics. It’s one of a kind because almost every blue tourmaline I have doesn’t look as good in indoor light!

Attachments

• C9D80657-4527-4046-8EF7-4C9F37EE11BD.png
    C9D80657-4527-4046-8EF7-4C9F37EE11BD.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 26

voce

Ideal_Rock
@Rare gem lover I just want you to start your own thread to share more pictures, and where we can ask you all the details on your lovely rings! :mrgreen2:

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
B0994267-EA22-4F25-9C4A-0DDC7B6FD89B.jpeg B166C81F-62A5-41EB-80FA-A397F077F520.jpeg D1DEE3A5-DB5C-46E2-BB14-2508CD41F91E.png 800C60EA-5380-499B-B32B-104FB9B8058F.png It’s here! It’s unfortunately not seen in daylight yet but I have some bad indoor pics. It’s one of a kind because almost every blue tourmaline I have doesn’t look as good in indoor light!

Gorgeous! I agree we need more pics. :love:

Rare gem lover

Shiny_Rock
Trade

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just purchased this Cartier, 1970’s purple jadeite brooch. The price was really good, so I couldn't resist. I was thinking of having the stone reset into a ring with platinum and diamonds to have a compliment to my lavender jade pendant. Maybe a repolish if it needs it. But that will have to wait a while. Meantime, I think it will be fun to wear it on a blouse. Bezel shows some wear, but it is old. The stone was tested as jade, and jade polymer filling didn’t start until the mid 80’s. Seller says that there is no sign of the stone having been switched. Has a good reputation, but I will send it to the GIA for my own verification.
C5C5C213-B754-4CE3-8081-37E9485CB48F.jpeg 916567B6-9091-426B-8B7D-A85D6ACDC1A8.jpeg EB68D5EB-9D0C-4190-AFC3-2B26606B9CC8.jpeg

Last edited:

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
51B82A16-0E4D-450F-8B55-42E2FFFDB0CA.jpeg
So if it checks out, this is my inspiration setting, but with platinum prongs and baguettes instead of rounds. This inspiration pic is from Alistair Kelsey, and assuming his prices are within my range, I’d love to have him make it.

suzanne2

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It came from Bayato on Instagram. He was great to do business with.

Your stones are beautiful!
A quick question.
Is this your first purchase with Bayoto? I'm trying to remember him from Instagram...isn't he in Nigeria? I contacted him once and if I remember correctly, he only took bank transfers as payment. No PayPal. Do I have the right guy? I remember he had beautiful stones and reasonable prices, but I was wary of the payment method and didn't pursue anything.

aporia

Rough_Rock
Hi! I'm new here so sorry if this is out of place. I looked for a faq or forum guidelines and didn't find them.

I recently purchased the demantoid garnet below as a gift at what seemed like an impossibly good price. It came certified by a lesser known lab (Global Gems Lab), so I thought it was probably too good to be true.
Demantoid 006.JPG

Sorry about the low quality photo.

A local gemologist gave it a cursory examination and said the certificate is "most likely" accurate, but a formal appraisal would cost about how much the stone is worth. From everything I've read I would expect a genuine dematoid like this to be worth ~$1000/carat. The gemologist ballparked it at what I paid for it, $100.

The gift recipient is happy with it so that's all that really matters, but I would like to educate myself for the future. It is 2.92 carat. The photo is taken in natural light and isn't very far off true to life color, on my monitor at least. In person it is a bit less blue-green and closer to a true green. The stone is eye clean (EDIT: I meant eye clean or better. I can't find my hand lens) -- dots and such in the image must be reflections. I know oval cut isn't ideal for demantoid, but I imagine there must be something else too, to knock off 95% of the potential value.

I'm not asking for an appraisal or anything, just some general information. What makes a stone like this worth so much less than others?

If this isn't the place to ask, please direct me to where I should. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

voce

Ideal_Rock
Hi! I'm new here so sorry if this is out of place. I looked for a faq or forum guidelines and didn't find them.

I recently purchased the demantoid garnet below as a gift at what seemed like an impossibly good price. It came certified by a lesser known lab (Global Gems Lab), so I thought it was probably too good to be true.
Demantoid 006.JPG

Sorry about the low quality photo.

A local gemologist gave it a cursory examination and said the certificate is "most likely" accurate, but a formal appraisal would cost about how much the stone is worth. From everything I've read I would expect a genuine dematoid like this to be worth ~$1000/carat. The gemologist ballparked it at what I paid for it, $100.

The gift recipient is happy with it so that's all that really matters, but I would like to educate myself for the future. It is 2.92 carat. The photo is taken in natural light and isn't very far off true to life color, on my monitor at least. In person it is a bit less blue-green and closer to a true green. The stone is eye clean (EDIT: I meant eye clean or better. I can't find my hand lens) -- dots and such in the image must be reflections. I know oval cut isn't ideal for demantoid, but I imagine there must be something else too, to knock off 95% of the potential value.

I'm not asking for an appraisal or anything, just some general information. What makes a stone like this worth so much less than others?

If this isn't the place to ask, please direct me to where I should. Thanks in advance.

Have you considered the possibility that it is a lab fabricated demantoid garnet? Just because it was created in a lab doesn't make it any less genuine--the chemical composition, physical properties could be identical to natural demantoid. However, if it is a fabricated gemstone the value is a lot less because those are available anytime and are much less rare than gemstones formed in nature that had to be mined.

Rare gem lover

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Have you considered the possibility that it is a lab fabricated demantoid garnet? Just because it was created in a lab doesn't make it any less genuine--the chemical composition, physical properties could be identical to natural demantoid. However, if it is a fabricated gemstone the value is a lot less because those are available anytime and are much less rare than gemstones formed in nature that had to be mined.

Yes I agree, real demontoids cannot be this inexpensive

Rare gem lover

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Your stones are beautiful!
A quick question.
Is this your first purchase with Bayoto? I'm trying to remember him from Instagram...isn't he in Nigeria? I contacted him once and if I remember correctly, he only took bank transfers as payment. No PayPal. Do I have the right guy? I remember he had beautiful stones and reasonable prices, but I was wary of the payment method and didn't pursue anything.

Yes it’s the same person. Paypal is not supported in Nigeria so he has to take a bank transfer. He has a good reputation and has worked with many of the American vendors. I asked about him and discovered he’s a stand up guy. He has access to rough Americans simply don’t because of his location which is why I suggest reaching out for rare cool stuff :)

aporia

Rough_Rock

Thanks for the reply.

I did look into it, and it appears that there aren't synthetic demantoids. It's easily picked up by a small rare earth magnet, which should rule out a lot of substitutes like YAG. Also the certificate indicated anomalous double refraction, which in an isotropic mineral is an indicator of metamorphic shear stress. With that and the gemologist not suggesting otherwise, I'm pretty sure it's real.

Are there other factors a person should look out for with colored stones? I'm a geoscientist by training so I should be able to understand even a technical explanation, but I know nothing about what makes gems valuable to worthless besides the "4 C's".

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results