color
clarity

Catch all thread - talk or better yet show us

ElleK

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Re: Catch all thread - talk or better yet show us

Niel|1466618296|4046712 said:
To excuse David's copying as something different than what this designer did doesn't hold water. He has directly stolen ideas from singlestone, CVB, and others. The fact you choose to do business with someone who steals business from the original designer shows that it is the nature of the business. You choose to do business with him when it helps your bottom line, you choose to publicly shame someone for doing business with a different vendor when it hurts your bottom line.

I'm not being flippant about intellectual theft and reproductions of specific designs. I'm specifically saying that maybe a bit of perspective might benefit you here
The person who replicated my design is a jeweler, not a designer.

This is about my intellectual property and standing up for myself. It is clearly my very unique design that was copied, and I don't think that anyone can argue against that.

My pain is not all about the bottom line, it's about a part of me, something I'm very passionate about and created from absolutely nothing being replicated as if it belonged to someone else. It is about being violated and stolen from. I cannot prevent it, but I can say something about it when it happens to me. It is about the sentimental and emotional toil that I'm going through. This isn't about the dollar signs. This is about watching as though someone stole my child, cloned her and said the clone was theirs.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ElleW|1466619207|4046720 said:
To excuse David's copying as something different than what this designer did doesn't hold water. He has directly stolen ideas from singlestone, CVB, and others. The fact you choose to do business with someone who steals business from the original designer shows that it is the nature of the business. You choose to do business with him when it helps your bottom line, you choose to publicly shame someone for doing business with a different vendor when it hurts your bottom line.

I'm not being flippant about intellectual theft and reproductions of specific designs. I'm specifically saying that maybe a bit of perspective might benefit you here

This is about my intellectual property and standing up for myself. It is clearly my very unique design that was copied, and I don't think that anyone can argue against that.

My pain is not all about the bottom line, it's about a part of me, something I'm very passionate about and created from absolutely nothing being replicated as if it belonged to someone else. It is about being violated and stolen from. I cannot prevent it, but I can say something about it when it happens to me. It is about the sentimental and emotional toil that I'm going through. This isn't about the dollar signs. This is about watching as though someone stole my child, cloned her and said the clone was theirs.

Sorry this hurts you as much as it does Elle,i really am.

I just think maybe some perspective may be lost in the posts your saying

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I never post over here. I just drop by to drool over colored stones. I find the direction this thread has taken is a comedic turn. There are any number of "designers" featured on this site where they have CLEARLY been "heavily influenced" (and I use the term loosely) by other designers. Including Elle. I saw a picture on your IG with elements in a design clearly borrowed from Erika Winters who I find is most often attempted in knock offs but no one has been able to replicate the fluidity of her designs or her textures and medal covers. In fact I just saw a pendant setting that is so close to the EW's Jin I was taken aback, although it clearly did not have the details or crispness of the bezel's connection to the outer edges of the total mount and the texture and color didn't come close. DK knocked off the bangles JbG started making recently and I'm pretty sure Gildedlane got her ideas for bangle bracelets made out of old brooches from JbG's great conversions which happened first. I've seen a number of designers including DK, CVB and Maytal do baskets on bezels exactly like the petal basket done on ERD/BE's bezel. I know this because I saw one on here in a SMTB thread and went to ERD to work with Chris to replicate it. I've also seen a couple knock offs of VC one most recently of the Lynn setting originally created for Phoenix for her FLY diamond. The PS'ers are also guilty of picking a Jeweler/designer that is more cost effient to try and get a cheaper version of a design they like but don't want to pay the original designer who often in my opinion can not be knock off to the same level of quality, clear and crisp elements and changes are subtlety made to try not to look like a "direct copy" which is often disastrous in how the results come out. Unless you are patented it's going to happen. I'm sure Vatche is more then hacked at all the replica's, they should really be mad the U-113 has been knocked off more then any other design.

My setting, the thread I saw it in first and then bought it from the same designer.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/chris-erd-is-setting-my-transitional.178155/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/chris-erd-is-setting-my-transitional.178155/[/URL]

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock

I have pics of the New Era Garnets. The pear was described as a "perfect plum" color. I am returning both, as they weren't what I was looking for. Apologies if these don't load right - posting from my phone.

Ok, I admit I also picked up this big guy (honker of an irradiated topaz) from Dana's recent sale:
I'm keeping this one!

_37603.jpg

_37604.jpg

_37605.jpg

_37606.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

oh my god!

I'm so glad a PSer bought this I looooove it. I'm glad you're keeping it. More pics! Setting idea???

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Niel|1466623009|4046782 said:
oh my god!

I'm so glad a PSer bought this I looooove it. I'm glad you're keeping it. More pics! Setting idea???
Yayyyy!!! I had the tab open for at least a few hours debating with myself about it, and was relieved for my wallet when it sold :) excited to see whT you do with it!

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock

Thanks, Niel. Yeah I'd been watching this since the last sale and was surprised nobody had bought it. I finally caved. I don't know about setting... I knew it was big, but it seems huge in person. Maybe a pendant or enhancer for pearls? Would be open to ideas!

_37607.jpg

_37608.jpg

_37609.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

How about a bangle? Bezels in the middle with a thin band for the bangle? Bezel it and do it in silver to keep the price down

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock

Niel|1466623556|4046789 said:
How about a bangle? Bezels in the middle with a thin band for the bangle? Bezel it and do it in silver to keep the price down?

I love the bangle idea and it would look great in silver. But I never wear my bracelets/bangles so I'm not sure it'd get much wear. I'm going to look up some inspiration pics, though. Maybe if I loved it enough, I would wear it!

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock

lovedogs|1466623338|4046787 said:
Niel|1466623009|4046782 said:
oh my god!

Yayyyy!!! I had the tab open for at least a few hours debating with myself about it, and was relieved for my wallet when it sold :) excited to see whT you do with it!

Lol, lovedogs ... This has happened to me so many times. For me it's a mix of regret and relief, but I know I can't buy them all.
I'll definitely post setting plans when I know. It may be awhile because I've never set anything this large before.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

The bangle I was thinking of. Also, I think it was the one mayk was talking about.

fb_img_1466624207275.jpg

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock

This won't make you feel better, I know it won't, but I thought I would say that I can see a definite difference between the two rings in terms of the fluidity and execution of the design. I don't have the best eye, but I can tell the difference.

This is hard stuff and something that has confused me a bit since coming here. Intellectual and design property is really, really murky in the worlds of jewelry and fashion. I have several photographer friends who are constantly getting their work outright stolen, but that is a much more clear cut theft. I do think if this is important to you, and it clearly is, you might want to look into copyrighting your designs as that is the only way to have some recourse available and discourage design theft. That said, if you go that route, it can be a long hard slog that doesn't tangibly benefit you when you try to take someone on over it (and there are of course social repercussions as well that can also effect your business)

But all that said, really, I wanted to say I can see what is special about your design, and even next to the other ring that is clear to me.

katharath

Ideal_Rock

blingbunny10|1466623428|4046788 said:
Thanks, Niel. Yeah I'd been watching this since the last sale and was surprised nobody had bought it. I finally caved. I don't know about setting... I knew it was big, but it seems huge in person. Maybe a pendant or enhancer for pearls? Would be open to ideas!

Oooooh fun! What is the size in mm? I ask bc I picked up a big rose de France from Dana @1 yr ago that I think may be similar in size to your topaz - I still haven't figured out what to do with it - so I really want to see what you do with your big honker, lol.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Niel|1466615575|4046689 said:
Elle,
No, you're not David Klass,but you do business with him. You choose to associate with a vendor who copies designs.
So to throw stones at other vendors who copy designs seems hypocritical

But you have the right to your opinion, of course.

Wow, this seems harsh to me and way out of bounds. As far as I know, it is commonplace etiquette among users on this site to ask others for permission when they are replicating designs. I know this from the years I've been reading posts and seeing rings made. When one asks, is granted permission, and makes the ring, particularly in the case of an exact replica, when it is made and they come back to show it off, they certainly give credit to the designer and thank them for allowing them the honor of copying the design. This happens all the time here, and I am so pleased whenever I see it as its the appropriate and proper thing to do. Conversely, if one asks, and the designer declines then it seems the option would be the one that Elle spelled out, which is to have the designer's jeweler make it.

As an aside, what David Klass does on his time is his business, not Elle's. To imply otherwise is ludicrous. I don't know to what you are referring but I wonder if its an exact copy as in this case; or whether he seeks permission on some level that you are unaware of. In either case, its irrelevant in this situation.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

theredspinel|1466618508|4046714 said:
I get getting inspired by certain design elements that are seen all over the place, but when you see something truly unique born from 1 persons imaginations, struggles, life experiences etc, it's more like copying a finger print. When it's truly unique to that 1 designer.... its just off.

Neil; a person can be upset about someone outright copying their design and speak up about it without having to be living Mother Teresa's lifestyle.

Even if she herself copied a design in her past it doesn't change the message of its simply wrong to copy someone's clear design ideas.

:appl:

Have I mentioned I love you, TRS? Well said!

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock

katharath|1466625470|4046814 said:

Oooooh fun! What is the size in mm? I ask bc I picked up a big rose de France from Dana @1 yr ago that I think may be similar in size to your topaz - I still haven't figured out what to do with it - so I really want to see what you do with your big honker, lol.

katharath, mine's 15.2mm. My usual picks are 5.5-7mm!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

minousbijoux|1466625499|4046815 said:
Elle,
No, you're not David Klass,but you do business with him. You choose to associate with a vendor who copies designs.

Wow, this seems harsh to me and way out of bounds. As far as I know, it is commonplace etiquette among users on this site to ask others for permission when they are replicating designs. I know this from the years I've been reading posts and seeing rings made. When one asks, is granted permission, and makes the ring, particularly in the case of an exact replica, when it is made and they come back to show it off, they certainly give credit to the designer and thank them for allowing them the honor of copying the design. This happens all the time here, and I am so pleased whenever I see it as its the appropriate and proper thing to do. Conversely, if one asks, and the designer declines then it seems the option would be the one that Elle spelled out, which is to have the designer's jeweler make it.

As an aside, what David Klass does on his time is his business, not Elle's. To imply otherwise is ludicrous. I don't know to what you are referring but I wonder if its an exact copy as in this case; or whether he seeks permission on some level that you are unaware of. In either case, its irrelevant in this situation.

Yes, an exact copy, to your point and at least in many of the instances, he does not ask permission

To me,it is very relevant that she works with someone who does the exact thing she says is like "stealing and cloning her child"

It's fine you don't see some hypocrisy , but others do.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Blingbunny!! What an amazing stone. I love it. It will look fabulous in a bangle.

katharath

Ideal_Rock

blingbunny10|1466626436|4046824 said:
katharath|1466625470|4046814 said:

katharath, mine's 15.2mm. My usual picks are 5.5-7mm!

Lol!! That's funny, my Dana ammy is 15.4 mm :). I love his big gorgeous well cut gems so much! Most of my gems are smaller too - 5-7 mm range, so I definitely understand. Please do post however you set your topaz, I'm hoping it will inspire me!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Niel|1466626854|4046826 said:
Elle,

Yes, an exact copy, to your point and at least in many of the instances, he does not ask permission

To me,it is very relevant that she works with someone who does the exact thing she says is like "stealing and cloning her child"

No and many don't. My advice to you Niel: since you are so bothered by DK's actions, perhaps you should not give him your business. Just saying! ;))

OTL

Brilliant_Rock

deskjockey|1466625077|4046807 said:

This won't make you feel better, I know it won't, but I thought I would say that I can see a definite difference between the two rings in terms of the fluidity and execution of the design. I don't have the best eye, but I can tell the difference.

This is hard stuff and something that has confused me a bit since coming here. Intellectual and design property is really, really murky in the worlds of jewelry and fashion. I have several photographer friends who are constantly getting their work outright stolen, but that is a much more clear cut theft. I do think if this is important to you, and it clearly is, you might want to look into copyrighting your designs as that is the only way to have some recourse available and discourage design theft. That said, if you go that route, it can be a long hard slog that doesn't tangibly benefit you when you try to take someone on over it (and there are of course social repercussions as well that can also effect your business)

But all that said, really, I wanted to say I can see what is special about your design, and even next to the other ring that is clear to me.

I would have to second this even though I may not seem to be impartial on this particular matter. To get a patent is the best and only way to protect your design. There is no designer envolved in the process, jeweller does everything customer requests and I'm simply a buyer who likes a ring on the Internet and make a pretty bling of my own. I might fail to see the difference between this ring and many other rings on PS that we were inspired or copy from. As I said I'll melt the ring and the replica won't exist anymore. I'm so sorry for your upset.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

minousbijoux|1466628173|4046838 said:
Niel|1466626854|4046826 said:
Elle,

No and many don't. My advice to you Niel: since you are so bothered by DK's actions, perhaps you should not give him your business. Just saying! ;))

What great advise I'd think anyone bothered buy it shouldn't work with him. . We agree on that. :wavey: ::)

I actually didn't say I was bothered.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

blingbunny10|1466622581|4046780 said:
I have pics of the New Era Garnets. The pear was described as a "perfect plum" color. I am returning both, as they weren't what I was looking for. Apologies if these don't load right - posting from my phone.

Ok, I admit I also picked up this big guy (honker of an irradiated topaz) from Dana's recent sale:
I'm keeping this one!

Hey Bling: can you say more about the New Era garnets, that is, how they were different than what you expected? I'd be curious to know how their pics differ from what you saw in hand. TIA.

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock

minousbijoux|1466629611|4046850 said:
Hey Bling: can you say more about the New Era garnets, that is, how they were different than what you expected? I'd be curious to know how their pics differ from what you saw in hand. TIA.

minous - Sure. I've never bought from NEG before, so I think I didn't read the pics correctly. Both had small windows and the colors were not what quite I was expecting. The pear is my favorite of the two. It has a pretty attractive plummy color and shape is an interesting pear (sort of chubby at the top), but I guess what you would call the bow tie effect (?) would bother me long term. The oval I was expecting to be more red/pink, but has more brown in person. For some reason, I also thought all of NEG gems were precision cut, but I guess not!

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

OTL|1466628455|4046841 said:
deskjockey|1466625077|4046807 said:

I would have to second this even though I may not seem to be impartial on this particular matter. To get a patent is the best and only way to protect your design. There is no designer envolved in the process, jeweller does everything customer requests and I'm simply a buyer who likes a ring on the Internet and make a pretty bling of my own. I might fail to see the difference between this ring and many other rings on PS that we were inspired or copy from. As I said I'll melt the ring and the replica won't exist anymore. I'm so sorry for your upset.

Nope. A patent means nothing if the person cannot afford to enforce it. I know at least 1 remommended vendor here, that has their copyrighted patent design stolen left right and center and can't do anything about it because it's the bigger companies that steal it and bottom line they have more money to deal with issues like this.

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock

ElleW|1466617862|4046709 said:
Elle,

Niel,
As I said, David's business is his business. Many of the elements in the designs that he has produced have been in design after design over the centuries. I cannot and will not speak to those particular designs, I can only speak for myself and my designs.

To have someone outright copy something that shares the majority of its design with no other item in existence, and is it's own aesthetic hurts me directly. Not only is my intellectual property stolen, but also this hurts my bottom line - it represents money out of my pocket. This is a design that not only took many hours of my time to produce, but also took years of education, research and experience to put it together.

I realize that it's ok to be flippant about copying jewelry here, but I strive to make things that aren't out there already. Plain and simple.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Full disclosure, I have worked with DK and would again. I think Niel's point is that it's somewhat hypocritical to happily work with someone to replicates other jeweller's designs but then get upset when the same is done to you.

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Siameseroo|1466632001|4046861 said:
ElleW|1466617862|4046709 said:
Elle,

Niel,
As I said, David's business is his business. Many of the elements in the designs that he has produced have been in design after design over the centuries. I cannot and will not speak to those particular designs, I can only speak for myself and my designs.

To have someone outright copy something that shares the majority of its design with no other item in existence, and is it's own aesthetic hurts me directly. Not only is my intellectual property stolen, but also this hurts my bottom line - it represents money out of my pocket. This is a design that not only took many hours of my time to produce, but also took years of education, research and experience to put it together.

I realize that it's ok to be flippant about copying jewelry here, but I strive to make things that aren't out there already. Plain and simple.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Full disclosure, I have worked with DK and would again. I think Niel's point is that it's somewhat hypocritical to happily work with someone to replicates other jeweller's designs but then get upset when the same is done to you.

I would work with DK if it was in my best interests to. I dont care what else he does in his life I don't need to ethically vet his whole life and actions to be able to want a ring from him....

I still belive elle had every right to speak out against someone blatantly copying her design; so what if she works with DK. Why would she need to or want to throughly vet his morals and manners - I'm sure she went to him for a specific reason and that's all that would concern her.

This whole guilty by association so keep shut when people are stealing from you sounds ridiculous to me.

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock

Mayk|1466621911|4046769 said:
I never post over here. I just drop by to drool over colored stones. I find the direction this thread has taken is a comedic turn. There are any number of "designers" featured on this site where they have CLEARLY been "heavily influenced" (and I use the term loosely) by other designers. Including Elle. I saw a picture on your IG with elements in a design clearly borrowed from Erika Winters who I find is most often attempted in knock offs but no one has been able to replicate the fluidity of her designs or her textures and medal covers. In fact I just saw a pendant setting that is so close to the EW's Jin I was taken aback, although it clearly did not have the details or crispness of the bezel's connection to the outer edges of the total mount and the texture and color didn't come close. DK knocked off the bangles JbG started making recently and I'm pretty sure Gildedlane got her ideas for bangle bracelets made out of old brooches from JbG's great conversions which happened first. I've seen a number of designers including DK, CVB and Maytal do baskets on bezels exactly like the petal basket done on ERD/BE's bezel. I know this because I saw one on here in a SMTB thread and went to ERD to work with Chris to replicate it. I've also seen a couple knock offs of VC one most recently of the Lynn setting originally created for Phoenix for her FLY diamond. The PS'ers are also guilty of picking a Jeweler/designer that is more cost effient to try and get a cheaper version of a design they like but don't want to pay the original designer who often in my opinion can not be knock off to the same level of quality, clear and crisp elements and changes are subtlety made to try not to look like a "direct copy" which is often disastrous in how the results come out. Unless you are patented it's going to happen. I'm sure Vatche is more then hacked at all the replica's, they should really be mad the U-113 has been knocked off more then any other design.

My setting, the thread I saw it in first and then bought it from the same designer.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/chris-erd-is-setting-my-transitional.178155/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/chris-erd-is-setting-my-transitional.178155/[/URL]

Regardless of your stance on this issue, I think Mayk's post can give us all a bit of perspective on how prevalent this is in this industry and more specially, within the PS community.

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Siameseroo|1466632405|4046864 said:

Regardless of your stance on this issue, I think Mayk's post can give us all a bit of perspective on how prevalent this is in this industry and more specially, within the PS community.

It's sad when something everyone can generally agree is immoral suddenly becomes ok when it's prevalent and 'everyone's doing it'.

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock

theredspinel|1466632575|4046866 said:
Siameseroo|1466632405|4046864 said:

It's sad when something everyone can generally agree is immoral suddenly becomes ok when it's prevalent and 'everyone's doing it'.

You're totally putting words in my mouth! Not saying it's okay at all! I think we could all benefit from some perspective that's all!

I'm just a bit confused by your logic here. So it's 100% immoral to leverage designs and this is not okay at all, but morally, it's okay for designers like Elle to work closely with DK because "she has her reasons".

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results