color
clarity

Casey Anthony trial...

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
So this is who Casey learned her act from

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
My thoughts exactly, VL. Casey's a chip off the old block.

What about Jose Baez? I'm ready to strangle him! He has to know Cindy is lying -- and he knowingly put her on the stand & asked the question. That's called subornation of perjury & is a very serious offense for a lawyer. He fits right in with the Anthony clan -- sleazy.

--- Laurie

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Lanie|1308887207|2953755 said:
Cindy lied on her timesheets. Her former employer must be hot under the collar when she said that all of the employees do that, in front of thousands (millions?) of viewers.

Someone else said it, but I wonder if Cindy will be charged with perjury? Or if it will be dismissed since she was under some kind of medication, and her memory is better now than it was when she first gave her deposition. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I made a point of watching the In Session commentators this morning, and Casey Jordan read verbatim what Cindy's deposition was. All in all, Cindy is toeing a very fine line. She elaborating more on what she remembers now, as opposed to what she recalled when she was initially deposed. She never mentioned the "neck breaking video" ... she fumbled with the bamboo root research. I don't know what, if anything, the Prosecution can do about that if she legitimately needed to change her meds.

I think, even watching her now, she's just very singular. Her only focus is to take the heat off Casey and spreading the wealth of guilt, confusing the jury.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so bummed! I had planed on watching the trial all day today and now this! When is the defense going to get their act
together!?!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
One of the In Session anchors said she was in the elevator w/Jeff Ashton yesterday & asked him if he was surprised by Cindy's testimony about doing the chloroform searches. "Not really," he said, "but I am surprised at how far the defense is willing to go."

I wonder if he has raised the issue of subornation of perjury by Baez. (Said Laurie hopefully!)

The fact that the judge has the court reporter in conference w/them means it's something he wants on the record. Very interesting.

--- Laurie

Lanie

Brilliant_Rock
***crickets***

Anyone still following? What do you guys think about the abrupt recess and then announcement of the questions as to the competency of Casey? Is it wrong that I REALLY want her to take the stand?

I was bored today and looked up Jose Baez on Wikipedia. Interesting stuff there about him. Seems like he's had some issues with ethics himself. Fitting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jose_Baez_(lawyer)

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep, I'm still watching. Stopping the trial for a competency hearing seemed like a joke...I'm guessing its all for
appeal later.

Baez is putting people up on the stand to point out where they made a small error in their testimony. Not any thing
that would actually change anybodies thinking, just basically...you made a mistake! He is wasting time.

Have to see what goes on tomorrow!

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
I think what happened Saturday is this...

1. Casey wants to take the stand.
2. Mason, Baez do not want her to take the stand.
3. They decided to have her evaluated to protect themselves in case things go badly.
4. Casey's laughter and smirking this morning was due impart to her winning the argument.

I'm still following closely, but things right now are bor-ring. How many times can we discuss the salami in the trunk? I find this particularly frustrating because it's so unrealistic and such a stretch. Who could actually believe that empty garbage could stink up a car for two years--even two years after being removed? It's insulting my intelligence.

Today picked up with the testimony of the private detectives and all the psychic madness. The guy on the stand right now is very confused, I feel bad for him. He has no idea how to testify without saying things he can't say. However, the video that was entered into evidence along with him (and the guy prior to him) was very interesting...

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
I agree that the video was interesting Italia. however, did you read the link about Jose Baez that Lanie posted? Close to the end of it, it mentions that Baez told the private investigator to not tell police if he found Caylee's body and tell him. I thought that was very interesting.

So I totally missed the whole competency hearing bit....please fill me in. Was Casey determined to be fully competent and that is why she "won" the argument?

If that woman takes the stand I hope the prosecutors tear her to shreds....

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
I did read the Wiki on Baez.

Couple of things that...

First of all, when this Casey GUY (not Casey Anthony) was on the phone with this supposed psychic, I don't know if I really, really believe that. Call me a conspiracy theorist, but I take it all back to Baez making a name for himself off the back of Caylee Anthony's death. He looks like a rat, like a total scumbag loser deadbeat...and he had A LOT to prove going into this case, because--lets face it, a member of the Dream Team he's not. I don't believe for an instant he's above dirty pool, and I dare say that if he thought it would help him and his legal reputation, he'd stop at nothing.

I find it completely suspicious that...

A. The investigators would TAPE themselves walking in the woods, looking for Caylee's remains. And that it was only that single snippet of forestry that they searched.

B. That the day the remains were found in those woods, Baez would already have an expert on a plane, flying in to look at them before they even knew it was Caylee. (Now, I say that would the caveat that it's highly unlikely another child's remains would be found so close to the Anthony home) However, if they had really, really, really searched those woods before and found nothing why would Baez go to the expense of bringing out an expert before the findings were even conclusive?

It just reeks of something not being straight up. You know what I mean? Like it's all too perfect. Like Baez, all along, orchestrated this sequence of events to work in his favor. It just smacks of being off.

As far as the competency hearing goes...

Court was called early on Saturday--like, before it even began. Apparently Baez petitioned the court to have Casey interviewed by psychologists to gauge whether or not she could actually continue with this trial, help with her defense, blah blah blah.

Now, remember, Casey was interviewed BEFORE the trial began, and was cleared to begin proceedings. So this was highly, highly unusual. But, because it's a death penalty case, certain allowances are made. As much as Baez hates that this is a DP case, it's also working in his favor simply because of the severity of the charges.

So...

Today, Casey walks into the court all smiles, winking and raising her eyebrows suggestively, very animated. She was laughing, carrying on...you'd never know this girl was on trial for killing her kid, it was actually pretty sick to watch. She's flipping through these thick stacks of paper, chatting with attorney's around her like she was at a barbecue or something.

JP gets behind the bench and jumps right into the fact that Casey is able to stand trail, the interviews with the psychologists concluded that. Casey does her whole sniffing/pursing her lips thing, but something about her face looks almost triumphant--I'm sure you all know that look she gets, very haughty and superior.

The experts on In Session jump right into "what could have happened to set this off"...lots of theories were bounced around, of course we'll never know the actual prompt behind it, since JP sealed the records.

They're speculating maybe she had a mental break after her brother was on the stand. Or maybe she was talking crazy, like saying she was going to put Caylee to bed that night. Casey Jordan, who I really like--I think she's very intuitive-- is the one who brought up, perhaps, Casey wanting to take the stand despite her counsels advice not too.

By motioning her competency, Baez and Mason have safe guarded themselves in the long run. Counsel always must do what's best for their client, but they cannot refuse them the right to take the stand. So, if their client is activity going against their advice they will try to circumvent responsibility which could be used against them later on.

Let's face it. If Casey gets up on the stand, she's going to get thrashed by Jeff Ashton. He's a pit-bull, he'd show her no mercy and call her out, and paint her into a corner. It'd be all over but the clean up. Baez cannot reasonably think putting her on the stand would end well. He can't possibly want that for her, or for himself. He got up during opening statements and said "this girl is a liar" ... how can she possibly be trusted to tell the truth now? She can't. She can't testify. Putting her on the stand would be the height of stupidity.

But, here's the thing...

Casey Anthony thinks she's smarter than everyone else. And why shouldn't she? She's snowballed people for years and totally gotten away with it until now. She probably really believes that she can get on that stand and save her own life. She probably still believes there is a chance that she'll be believed...choke out a few crocodile tears, talk about her deep love for her daughter.

So, unless Casey had a full fledged mental break down that evaporated in 24 hours, I think it's reasonable to assume she may be taking the stand.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
If Casey testifies, I'm gonna be SO glued to the tube for the cross. That would be a sight to see. It's nearly impossible to believe she's dumb enough to do it, arrogant as she may be. The mother of all disasters -- especially after her own lawyer says she's a liar. I think that fitness business was another delaying tactic by an unskilled lawyer with no more arrows to shoot.

I also don't see what difference it makes if Caylee's body was moved, taken away & put back, put on a train & sent to Idaho. Proves nada about who killed her. Those 2 "detectives" were so hilariously seedy, I imagine the jury will ignore them. If they have any common sense, that is.

Casey's behavior yesterday a.m. in court was disgusting, agree, Italia. I gaped at the smiling, flirting, sparkling, as if she were back in her old bar-haunts. Typical narcissist.

--- Laurie

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
DId anyone watch Nancy Grace last night?

I'm trying to find this video Nancy Grace showed from court a couple days ago, I think it was a couple of days ago...it was during a side bar when the camera's were on Casey. She must have thought Baez was standing in front of her, because she FLIPED OUT at someone. She jams were finger at whomever was sitting beside and appears to say "you get out there"...then Baez steps in front of her, and she realizes she's not being shielded by him and she like grabs the collar of her shirt and tries seems to cool down, but her eyes are still wild.

Lanie

Brilliant_Rock
Italia! I saw that live!!!! I'm so glad you mentioned that bc I was surprised no one had mentioned it (or I didn't think anyone had mentioned it). She clearly is flipping out, but Baez walks right in front of her, and by the time he is done walking by her, she's done with her tantrum. I soooo want to see who she was "reprimanding".

I agree about the body and the detectives with you Jewelfreak. They aren't sticking to the original story. If Casey claims that her dad found the body, why hasn't George been put on the stand about it? BECAUSE IT DIDN'T HAPPEN! That would be my number one question as a juror...why don't they question George about finding the body? I don't understand what the questioning today has to do with anything. They asked George if he had an affair with that lady...does that have anything to do with the murder?

I'm so glad I'm off from teaching for the summer so I can see Casey up on the witness stand. She's so self-centered, I bet she just wants the attention bc she knows people would probably take off work to watch her up there.

Lanie

Brilliant_Rock
ETA: George did get up on the stand and denied disposing of the body. Soooooooooo.......yeaaaahhhhhhh.....

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
Italiahaircolor|1309268618|2956983 said:
DId anyone watch Nancy Grace last night?

I'm trying to find this video Nancy Grace showed from court a couple days ago, I think it was a couple of days ago...it was during a side bar when the camera's were on Casey. She must have thought Baez was standing in front of her, because she FLIPED OUT at someone. She jams were finger at whomever was sitting beside and appears to say "you get out there"...then Baez steps in front of her, and she realizes she's not being shielded by him and she like grabs the collar of her shirt and tries seems to cool down, but her eyes are still wild.

I tried searching for this video, but I can't find it! I need to see it!!!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They just finished with Roy Kronk...really got nothing out of him. I didnt see anything about them asking him about hiding
the body for several months. Roy kronk didnt do anything wrong...the only thing they did get is that he lifted
the skull slightly with a long pole so they can say that he may have moved the tape. Doesnt really mean anything though
because all the animals and elements could have moved the tape.

Ok, they got another meter reader up on the stand. Lets see if they are going to try to impeach Roy Kronk. The saga
continues...

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Ray Kronk is the type of guy who tried to do the right thing and got pinched for it. No doubt he's has a shady past, but still, all he did was find the body of a little girl who was thrown in the woods like trash, and bring closure to the family who was looking for Caylee. Yet, Baez is jumping all over him like he killed Caylee. It probably doesn't paint the best picture of the defense for the jury...IMO, that was wrong approach.

I'm not surprised George denied disposing of the body. He didn't do it. Unlike Cindy, who I believe would lie through her teeth to confuse the issue if she thought it would save Casey's life, I think George is leaning on the bible and trying to be as honest as possible. He could, very easily, cooperate and go along with the lies, but I think he's had enough of the lies. He wants the truth, that's all.

Okay, I'm watching the redirect of this second Meter Reader right now and I'm getting annoyed.

The defense has not made any accusations to suggest Roy had the body thus far. Yet, they keep going on and on about was it wet, was it dry? Who cares? And his little sneaky comments about no one looking at George Anthony and then withdrawing them. SO ANNOYING!

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
What value did the prison guard have? Why was he even called? Am I the only one who thinks that is the stupidest thing the world? Seriously, Baez just needs to try to case and stop attempting to do whatever it is he's attempting to do.

And, actually, I think it's pretty f'd up that Casey is "always in a good mood"... considering she's on trial for her life, for killing her daughter, and is dragging her family through the mud. She's not at Club Med, she's in JAIL. Has no one told her that? Or is she deluded enough to think that this whole thing is just a pitstop on her way to happily ever after?

I hate this girl.

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The purpose of the defense's questions was to try to imply that the circumstances of Kronk finding the body were suspicious, and that he knew the body was there because he put it there - he wanted to get the reward money and be famous. The state must prove its case beyond a reasonable doubt. By implying that Kronk was involved with the body (i.e. knew where it was because he disposed it there to claim reward), the defense is trying to create a reasonable doubt that Casey did this.

- Kronk reported seeing the body in a remote place that had already been searched with no results (did he have possession of/was he hiding the body before then?).
- Kronk followed up three times about it in August 2008 (i.e., he really wanted the reward money).
- investigator came to the site in August 2008 and didn't see anything suspicious (was Kronk lying?)
- Kronk happens to be in the same area in December 2008 and tells his supervisor. Investigators find body this time. (did Kronk put it there? Did he keep following up about it because he wanted the reward? Defense questions implying the investigators messed up by not asking Kronk to take lie detector test, see if his car trunk smelled, have cadaver dogs check out his car?).
- Defense tried to establish that Kronk seriously mentioned the reward to investigators, supervisor, son, others, and told some not to tell his wife (not sure if they were divorced at the time or just separated).
- Defense implied Kronk told his son he was going to be rich and famous (Kronk insists defense has timing and content of phone call to son wrong).
- also elicited that he moved the evidence (bag and/or skull) and he changed his story about it.

I think Kronk and his story were credible, and he was unfortunate enough to get involved in this circus simply as a result of being a good samaritan. The defense attorney was blatantly and foolishly twisting Kronk's words and trying to make irrelevant information look relevant. I think Kronk did a good job of repeatedly correcting the attorney and being consistent.

I didn't see the other meter reader.

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
I read a couple of sites comments on this case and I must say the people on this site are by far the most intelligent, articulate, logical and POLITE posters I have ever come across.

Thank you ALL for your insights. This is really a tough case. In my heart I think it's a manslaughter case, but I think her rotten arse should be in jail LWoP.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
If I were on that jury I'd be SO disgusted w/the defense for wasting a day of my life with that drivel. Picture the boredom of being sequestered: no tv, radio, email, only sanitized newspapers. WTF do you do with your time? Watch approved Jimmy Stewart movies? They must be dying to get home after a month. This thoughtless waste of time would turn me against the defense all by itself -- Baez never accused Kronk or George of murder, never asked Kronk if he took the remains home & put 'em in his closet for 4 months. Gave the jury nada for a day out of their lives.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Amber St. Clare|1309299799|2957360 said:
I read a couple of sites comments on this case and I must say the people on this site are by far the most intelligent, articulate, logical and POLITE posters I have ever come across.

Thank you ALL for your insights. This is really a tough case. In my heart I think it's a manslaughter case, but I think her rotten arse should be in jail LWoP.

People are really up in arms over this whole case, it's not surprising that some boards get heated. I can't imagine the lashing someone would get if they SUPPORTED Casey... :errrr:

There are a lot of different charges on the table when it comes to this case...we all focus on the DP because it's very sensational, but not a lot of people actually believe that will be the end result. Here is a chart that lays out ALL the possible sentences she could receive depending on what she found guilty of...

http://media.trb.com/media/acrobat/2011-06/258384580-24093015.pdf

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you ItaliaHairColor--very interesting. I wonder if Jose Baez has even READ this list!

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1309305880|2957433 said:
If I were on that jury I'd be SO disgusted w/the defense for wasting a day of my life with that drivel. Picture the boredom of being sequestered: no tv, radio, email, only sanitized newspapers. WTF do you do with your time? Watch approved Jimmy Stewart movies? They must be dying to get home after a month. This thoughtless waste of time would turn me against the defense all by itself -- Baez never accused Kronk or George of murder, never asked Kronk if he took the remains home & put 'em in his closet for 4 months. Gave the jury nada for a day out of their lives.

Well, the juries going out tonight!! JP let them leave early so they could chill out before their 8p plans! Woo Hoo!

What would kill me is the bottling up. Not being able to talk about ANYTHING to ANYONE. That would be so hard. They must feel like they have fallen off the face of Earth at this point. Totally out of touch with reality. I know that's how I feel when I'm on vacation and not actively watching the news or compulsively checking my e-mail. Like something major is happening and I'm out of the loop. You've got to appreciate the companies they work for, though, for allowing them to take this time (with pay) because it's a LONG time to be away from one's employment.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Amber St. Clare|1309307377|2957456 said:
Thank you ItaliaHairColor--very interesting. I wonder if Jose Baez has even READ this list!

I'm sure Baez is well versed on what's coming down the pipeline at his client. I'm sure he's shown Casey a similar spreadsheet of what she's facing.

My husband actually found that chart the other day for me when I was going crazy wondering what the possible sentencing is for something of this magnitude IF she doesn't get the DP proper.

My guess is this...

Guilty of Manslaughter -- +15 years
Guilty of Aggravated Manslaughter of a Child -- +30 years
Guilty of Aggravated Child Abuse -- +15 years
Guilty of False Information to A Police Officer -- +4 year

Time Served -- -3 years

Casey is currently 25 years old...if she were to get 61 years, she'd probably die in prison (fine by me). Unless, of course, Florida does that whole 50% time served thing because of overcrowding or good behavior, meaning she'd be in lock up for a mere 30 years, she'd get out at around 55 years of age. Which, I'd hate to see happen...because that's still young enough to have some kind of life, which, IMO she doesn't deserve.

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
^^^ ^^^

The sentences can run concurrently rather than consecutively which = less time to serve, then deduct time already served and get credit for good behavior.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
mary poppins|1309309394|2957509 said:
^^^ ^^^

The sentences can run concurrently rather than consecutively which = less time to serve, then deduct time already served and get credit for good behavior.

And that, right there, is my greatest fear...I don't want to see Casey Anthony bounce out of prison at 35 or 40 years of age, change her identity and join society again.

I'm the first acknowledge I'm invested in this case. I've followed it from the start, read the book on it, and I've been watching this daily since Jury selection began.

At the root of it all, if you take the sensationalism out of it, separate the corruption, the lies, the scandals, the implications...a little girl still lost her life. And I believe she lost it at the hands of her mother, which IMO, is the worst sort of crime.

I just cannot wrap my mind around her being released at a young age...and even more so, being found not guilty.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Given the indescribable cruelty of Caylee's death -- premeditated or not -- it's unlikely Judge Perry would give her concurrent sentences. He might combine some but I'll bet the rent he makes sure she stays in prison most of the rest of her life. In Florida the jury recommends a sentence; the judge has discretion to accept it (which they usually do) or reduce it -- he can't raise it, such as giving death if the jury says life in prison. Perry is no fool -- in fact, I'm looking forward to the sentencing. She's bound to be convicted of something, at the least -- and I want to hear what Perry has to say to her. Bet it will be priceless.

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
I apologize ahead of time because I haven't had a chance to go back and read the last few pages...I just have a few minutes, but does anyone else get a really weird feeling about Lee Anthony? I am starting to believe that he actually did molest Casey. And are we positive he is not really the father? I know it's a stretch, but even her name Caylee...part Casey, part Lee. Hmm. Makes you wonder. And that would not give Casey an excuse to do what she did, but it would explain why she's so freaking messed up in the head.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results