color
clarity

Casey Anthony trial...

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh really? what happened? I'm not watching/listening today

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
The defense expert was asked if he'd ever done a study of fly progression in a human body. He said no, the only place that has actually done that is Dr. Bass at UT Knoxville in Tennessee. That's the guy who testified for the prosecution. Hee Hee

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I wonder how Baez is playing with the jury. He sure looks like a lamer to me. When three objections to the same question are sustained & the judge has to phrase the question for you, you got problems!

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Lordy, this dude is certainly earning his fee!! If Baez spends this long getting through each witness we may be waiting until December for a verdict! :???:

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
I'm a bit late with thi post but: I.HAVE. NO. PITY. FOR. CINDY. ANTHONY. AT. ALL. NONE.

Casey knew she wasn't parent material and wanted to give Caylee up for adoption. Cindy interfered and finally prevailed and guilted Casey until she gave in and brought the baby home, totally disregarding WHAT WAS RIGHT FOR CASEY. While she is in no way responsible for the death of that little angel, I honestly feels she is morally responsible. She knew her daughter was a lying party girl who hadn't a clue about responsiblity and what it took to raise a child--hell, she couldn't even keep a job, but Cindy didn't care--she wanted what she wanted. And now she's reaping the results.

No sympathy here.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I feel she's partly to blame. She convinced Casey to bring her home and then proceeded to allow her to be neglected and who knows what else and then finally murdered.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Amber St. Clare|1308338318|2948561 said:
I'm a bit late with thi post but: I.HAVE. NO. PITY. FOR. CINDY. ANTHONY. AT. ALL. NONE.

Casey knew she wasn't parent material and wanted to give Caylee up for adoption. Cindy interfered and finally prevailed and guilted Casey until she gave in and brought the baby home, totally disregarding WHAT WAS RIGHT FOR CASEY. While she is in no way responsible for the death of that little angel, I honestly feels she is morally responsible. She knew her daughter was a lying party girl who hadn't a clue about responsiblity and what it took to raise a child--hell, she couldn't even keep a job, but Cindy didn't care--she wanted what she wanted. And now she's reaping the results.

No sympathy here.

I have to agree with this too...Cindy either should of adopted Caylee or let Casey put her up for adoption. I think Cindy thought
Casey would settle down and be responsible if she had to keep the baby. WRONG! I dont think Cindy knew what she was in
for and sadly a precious little girl is now dead.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
I found it incredibly interesting that the expert today testified to the car still smelling after TWO YEARS. Lets be straight here, NO car is going to maintain a foul odor for that long because a bag of garbage was left in the trunk for 1 month. Especially considering that the garbage itself was primarily empty containers with no food. Claiming otherwise defies logic and common sense.

Baez was really stretching today. The expert was a bug guy...that's what he does, what he specialized it. I feel that Baez really pressed this guy past the point of relevancy when he entered into the air samples and stains. I get that he's trying to disprove the prosecutions case...but if he wants to be taken seriously (and not look like a blubbering fool) he should have found someone certifiably qualified to testify to that. Just because this man is a scientist who may have worked in conjunction with those things in the past doesn't mean he's a one-size-fits-all expert...he's not. I understood entirely what the prosecution was objecting too...it was way outside of his scope of expertise. If these are things Baez wants to systematically attack in his defense, then he should have put in the work to find an expert independently qualified to speak against the evidence, otherwise, he's just confusing the jury.

Further more, the "surprise witness" Thompson, has now come forward to say he doesn't KNOW George Anthony, has never spoken to him. WTF? The man didn't have the phone number until 2009...and I'm stunned that this defense, who are hired and paid professionals, attempting to save someone's life, would do such shoddy work. It's disgusting. Because now, there's a new person who has been dragged through the mud for Casey Anthony. Baez and the whole team, total joke.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Amber St. Clare|1308338318|2948561 said:

No sympathy here.

I agree with you in a lot of ways, but I also disagree a little as well.

Cindy Anthony is a fool in many ways. Totally delusional, easily manipulated, very righteous, dense...the list can go on and on. She did a lot of things wrong, namely, forcing a baby on a teenager who didn't want to be, wasn't ready to be, a mother. It was a recipe for disaster. We all know that now...and I bet, if she were honest with herself, she knows that too.

However, it's really hard for me to look Cindy and George and not feel something for them that resembles pity. I would not wish their circumstances on anyone, and not about getting what they deserve, or facing the consequences of their actions and decisions...it's just so wrong on every level imaginable. The one I have sympathy for, of course, is Caylee...she didn't deserve that mother, and why she was born into that family, I just can't make sense of it. But I don't believe that raising a bad child is anyone's intent. And I think when the Anthony's go home at night, and it's just the two of them in that quiet house surrounded by all of the memories and things and pictures, they are beside themselves with remorse for what they enabled and created. That judgement that they put on themselves, is by and far way, the worst that could ever be issued....so I don't spend time feeling ill will towards them. When I think about them, I do wish them peace, they lost their grandchild and that has to be so hard and so raw, and they spend every day in that hell reliving it and having it thrown in faces. Their personal lives are being blown up and deconstructed in new, vile ways for the world to see. They are being accused, without proof, of heinous acts, they will never rebound from this and they are publicly shamed and their whole existence is now in the court of public opinion.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Italia, very well put & thought out about the Anthonys. I can't come up with ill will for them either. They were foolish & unintelligent in persuading Casey to keep the baby, then in letting her neglect and/or abuse the kid from birth. I'm not sure how aware of that they are -- as when Cindy mouthed "I love you" at Casey yesterday. But they were doing their best -- it just wasn't good enough. They will pay with every breath they take for the rest of their lives.

Italiahaircolor|1308345044|2948645 said:
The expert was a bug guy...that's what he does, what he specialized it. I feel that Baez really pressed this guy past the point of relevancy when he entered into the air samples and stains. I understood entirely what the prosecution was objecting too...it was way outside of his scope of expertise.

Further more, the "surprise witness" Thompson, has now come forward to say he doesn't KNOW George Anthony, has never spoken to him. there's a new person who has been dragged through the mud for Casey Anthony. Baez and the whole team, total joke.
I am surprised the judge let the bug guy testify about the stains. Even a stain expert would probably refuse to guess from a picture. The prosecutor was REALLY fried about it. I thought he was gonna bite the witness for a minute there! I don't blame him. The bug kid was a nitwit anyhow -- too inexperienced to admit how inexperienced he is. He didn't give a straight answer to one single question all day. Hope the jury doesn't buy what he was selling.

Maybe the judge allowed it to balance having allowed the dvd with Caylee's skull & tape superimposed over her photo. That was a questionable decision too, I think. Can imagine an appeals court thinking that went too far -- maybe he's evened things out now.

Haha, just saw the felon, Thompson, saying he's never seen George except on TV. So much for the Perry Mason moment. Baez = idiot!

--- Laurie

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Ashton is very abrasive. My husband and I were just talking about it. But, Baez was equally abrasive with the prosecution witnesses. They are pushing for the person on the stand to crack...sometimes you can't be nice to get the job done. However, I think that's a double edged sword.

I saw the expert as a young, kind of nerdy, guy with a very impressive education. He, obviously, works hard at his profession...and Ashton may have polarized some of the jurors by his very 'take no prisoners' attitude. I can understand how you might think he made no firm points, because a lot of it was lost in the 'objections' and there was an ungodly amount of cross, back and forth. But he did say some interesting things...

1. The reason for no blow flies in the car could be that the body was moved.
2. The stench in the car could be because the bugs did not have the opportunity to "do their job"

That's what I took away from him today.

Lanie

Brilliant_Rock
What is the defense's position on the drowning again? That Cindy forgot to move the pool ladder, Caylee crawled in and drowned, and then the next thing Casey knows, George is carrying Caylee's dead body. Then what? They haven't said that he was the one who wrapped her up and put her in the woods, right? How do they tie in the meter reader guy?

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Lanie, since the defense started, there has not been a single word about drowning or sexual abuse. It's like Baez totally abandon all he alleged during his opening statements. :roll:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow...Baez just got a real spankin! The judge let him have it. Casey is looking like she is fixing to cry. She must realize how
bad things are going for her.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I really like this Judge! He's trying very hard not to let this become the circus that it easily could. Baez is facing contempt charges, and the judge directed the prosecution to draft special instructions to possibly be read to the jury about all of Baez's attempts to evade the rules of the game. Interesting day! Thank goodness after the Lord of the Flies!!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
How did y'all think Werner Spitz did on the stand? I will be interested to hear what Dr. Garavaglia says during the rebuttal case (I'm sure the prosecution will re-call her) after he called her sloppy for not having opened the skull.

I also don't see what difference it makes whether the head was to the left when it decomposed, but found face-up. That area flooded & animals moved things around. Not evidence one way or another about where the body was all that time.

His idea that a person put duct tape on the face after it had skeletonized is plain weird. Why on earth would that be likely (or believable)?

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Upgradable|1308418304|2949028 said:
I really like this Judge! He's trying very hard not to let this become the circus that it easily could. Baez is facing contempt charges, and the judge directed the prosecution to draft special instructions to possibly be read to the jury about all of Baez's attempts to evade the rules of the game. Interesting day! Thank goodness after the Lord of the Flies!!

It's absolutely, without a doubt, incomprehensible to me how Baez could NOT follow the rules, like getting the proper paperwork from his witnesses, he's a total moron. This case will make or break him, he'll be a legend the likes of "The Dream Team" if he gets her off, but right now, he's the laughing stock of the legal world. I feel like, in many ways, he's just not taking this case seriously enough, and whether or not Casey Anthony is guilty and deserves the death penalty, he's failing her miserably trying to save her life. He's setting this up perfect for another trial, and that is what I find really upsetting...this case is costing millions of dollars and taking people (innocent, uninvolved people) away from their lives, if he'd just DO HIS JOB the first time there'd be no need to rehash it again. There would be no grounds for a new trial. I hope Judge Perry sticks to his threats and does find Baez in contempt...that would make my day!

Judge Perry is no BS. He's not going to stand for any dirty pool in his court room, and I admire that. The lawyers need to take him very, very seriously.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Upgradable|1308406027|2948940 said:
Lanie, since the defense started, there has not been a single word about drowning or sexual abuse. It's like Baez totally abandon all he alleged during his opening statements. :roll:

There was a SMALL innuendo about the abuse early on. It was about the paternity test was run on Caylee Anthony while a multitude of other, more relevant, tests were being run...the FBI requested DNA from Lee and ran it against Caylee's. The prosecution flew up on that that one because the FBI doesn't involve themselves in matters of paternity, but none the less, it was mentioned and acknowledged before the jury. I think Baez is keeping his eye on the prize, the sexual molestation, in subtle ways.

And it might really boil down to being just that small in the grand scheme of things. Little reminders, here and there, that others were aware throughout the investigation and that rumblings of a dysfunctional relationship were taken seriously. Because if Baez doesn't have more than that, and Casey isn't going to testify, he's got to be creative to plant that seed further with the jury. But, I do think that at some point George will be called to take the stand, and Baez is going to thrash him...pressure cook him in hopes that he explodes and slips.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1308424269|2949072 said:
His idea that a person put duct tape on the face after it had skeletonized is plain weird. Why on earth would that be likely (or believable)?

IMO, this is so backwards. Wasn't the defenses whole shebang about "follow the duct tape"? If they are allowing someone to claim the duct tape was put on post decay, and that Ray Krock had Caylee's body...doesn't that totally moot the theory? It makes sense to me that the area Caylee was found was disturbed and probably not what you'd expect to find, there was a hurricane.

I think Baez is trying to pick the rubber duck out of the pool with the lucky number like he's at a carnival. He DOES NOT have evidence, or proof, or even the truth on his side. He has scenario's. It comes off very disjointed and appears like, since he's not working with truth, he's throwing out a bunch of "could haves" and hopes one of them sticks.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Italiahaircolor|1308426983|2949107 said:
he's throwing out a bunch of "could haves" and hopes one of them sticks.

Right on, Italia. So here's his theory: Casey was molested all her life & is completely under her father's thumb. Baby drowns by accident. She allows father to frame her for a murder that never occurred. (Without explanation as to why he would do that.) If she was so controlled, why was she so out of control? She went out to party & didn't come home, didn't answer her phone, stole from parents & friends, argued loudly w/her family. Yup, real believable.

Last night Janine Pirro showed profoundly chilling video. With jury out as the judge reviewed photos to be shown, Casey is smiling, passing water bottles back & forth to defense team, laughing at jokes, actually kind of sparkling. Jury in, same photos on the monitor: Casey's face buried in kleenex as she leans her head in "grief" on a lawyer's shoulder. Stunning.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Forgot one thing: the "paternity" tests of George & Lee Anthony. Not really. They took DNA from the whole family & tons of friends, service people, Casey's boyfriends, etc., in case any turned up to match it with. No paternity tests were done until the defense came up with the abuse excuse -- only then did they take a look at it to rule it out or not.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1308483596|2949436 said:
Last night Janine Pirro showed profoundly chilling video. With jury out as the judge reviewed photos to be shown, Casey is smiling, passing water bottles back & forth to defense team, laughing at jokes, actually kind of sparkling. Jury in, same photos on the monitor: Casey's face buried in kleenex as she leans her head in "grief" on a lawyer's shoulder. Stunning.

Actually, I think it classic. Casey is a master manipulator. This time, it's the jury. She's showing them what they want to see, no different than she's been doing on different levels her whole life. The jury wants to see a sad childless mother who is in mourning and is absolutely heartbroken...so, she ponies it up. She doesn't do a very good job...IMO...but whatever, she's playing her role.

I also wanted to mention something my husband and I were talking about this evening.

My husband doesn't believe Cindy Anthony mouthed "I love you" to Casey. When you say (and try it right now!) you put your tongue to your upper teeth between your lips. RIght? If you want the video closely, and there are links that slow it down, Cindy almost "puckers" her mouth around the second word. It looks more like she's saying "I forgive you"...

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Italiahaircolor|1308425982|2949094 said:

It's absolutely, without a doubt, incomprehensible to me how Baez could NOT follow the rules, like getting the proper paperwork from his witnesses, he's a total moron. This case will make or break him, he'll be a legend the likes of "The Dream Team" if he gets her off, but right now, he's the laughing stock of the legal world. I feel like, in many ways, he's just not taking this case seriously enough, and whether or not Casey Anthony is guilty and deserves the death penalty, he's failing her miserably trying to save her life. He's setting this up perfect for another trial, and that is what I find really upsetting...this case is costing millions of dollars and taking people (innocent, uninvolved people) away from their lives, if he'd just DO HIS JOB the first time there'd be no need to rehash it again. There would be no grounds for a new trial. I hope Judge Perry sticks to his threats and does find Baez in contempt...that would make my day!

Judge Perry is no BS. He's not going to stand for any dirty pool in his court room, and I admire that. The lawyers need to take him very, very seriously.

Could the Anthony's request a retrial (or mistrial?) in the event of Baiez being held in contempt? Could they argue they didn't have good legal representation?

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Hudson_Hawk|1308580449|2950132 said:
Italiahaircolor|1308425982|2949094 said:

Could the Anthony's request a retrial (or mistrial?) in the event of Baiez being held in contempt? Could they argue they didn't have good legal representation?

JP is saying consequences will be leveled AFTER the trial. So, I don't think so...she'd have to appeal based on poor representation. Baez is facing not only contempt charges, but Perry is also talking about the bar. It's very, very serious for Baez...but JP pushing it off until the end. JP does not want this to go to a mistrial, and he really doesn't want to leave holes for appeal either. This is why he's not automatically not allowing testimony, despite his orders not being followed. However, he did say, that if this continues, he will stop being so accommodating.

One of the experts on In Session was talking about what it means to have inadequate counsel. Apparently, in a lot of the cases that she has read up on, the defendants were granted a new trial because their lawyer didn't cross examine, didn't put on a case...basically, didn't care. In Florida, however, it appears that if Casey is found guilty and goes after an appeal, the other counsel (Mason and the like) would be interviewed. She would/could be granted her appeal if it's found that Baez was a steamroller, refused to allow the other counsel input.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Can't the Anthonys insist that Baez be 2nd chair & the other lawyer -- Mason, is his name? -- become lead counsel? If so, I wonder why they don't.

Lanie

Brilliant_Rock
Italiahaircolor|1308542943|2949925 said:
JewelFreak|1308483596|2949436 said:

Actually, I think it classic. Casey is a master manipulator. This time, it's the jury. She's showing them what they want to see, no different than she's been doing on different levels her whole life. The jury wants to see a sad childless mother who is in mourning and is absolutely heartbroken...so, she ponies it up. She doesn't do a very good job...IMO...but whatever, she's playing her role.

I also wanted to mention something my husband and I were talking about this evening.

My husband doesn't believe Cindy Anthony mouthed "I love you" to Casey. When you say (and try it right now!) you put your tongue to your upper teeth between your lips. RIght? If you want the video closely, and there are links that slow it down, Cindy almost "puckers" her mouth around the second word. It looks more like she's saying "I forgive you"...

Right now, numerous people are mouthing "I love you" to their computer screens.

That's pretty cool Italia. It does look like "forgive".

I thought the joking around was a little weird. The "why didn't you wrap your pigs in blankets" was, I hate to say, very funny, but if I were a family member of Caylee, I'd be put off that people were joking around.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
if I were a family member of Caylee, I'd be put off that people were joking around.
I would if I were the pig, too. They're very intelligent animals.

You have to have comic relief once in a while or you'd shoot yourself, immersed in such tragedy day after day.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1308584152|2950190 said:
Can't the Anthonys insist that Baez be 2nd chair & the other lawyer -- Mason, is his name? -- become lead counsel? If so, I wonder why they don't.

Legally, it's my understanding from what I've read that, yes, a defendant can change their attorney mid trial. But, I don't think in this case Casey would. I mean, maybe she would as a stall tactic if things got real bad...but that also opening of Pandora's box, kind of. For instance, any perceivable change would alert the jury that something is really wrong, and that may bring about prejudices. It's fairly obvious that all the behind the scenes questionable stuff isn't anything the jury is "in" on.

I honestly think that Baez is some sort of security blanket for Casey at this point. He's been with her from jump street. She's never really questioned his ability or methodology up to this point. In fact, when she was first in prison and would attempt to write to her parents, Baez wouldn't hand off the letters to them, nor would he give her the letters they wrote to her in exchange. He's been very dubious from the start, but she's been a willing participant in everything.

Baez, I also believe, is keeping Casey on a close leash. He's not doing what best for her. He's making a name for himself on the coattails of this case. If he was really acting in her best interest, why didn't he push for a deal? Why would he even take this case to a point where her life was on the line and a sturdy defense was nil? I think if she ever so much as questioned him, he would quash her fears. He's that sort of guy...if you've ever watched his interviews, he's charismatic, blue collar, built himself from nothing...he talks a very good game, the kind of guy you'd have over to a BBQ and pass a beer. He may have her really believing that when this is all said and done, she'll walking out of that courtroom a free woman.

The Anthony's, George and Cindy, probably have NOTHING to do with the defense. Casey is a legal adult, she found and hired her own attorney--even when her family begged her to reconsider. She pays his salary with the money she made from selling pictures of her daughter...did you hear about her other legal troubles involving that?

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
He's making a name for himself on the coattails of this case.
Totally right -- obvious from the very very beginning!

If he was really acting in her best interest, why didn't he push for a deal?
Italia, I don't think Casey would accept a deal if he DID advise it. I'd bet the rent she's sure she can weasel out of this as she has everything else. Sociopaths compartmentalize so well, too, that she may by now have convinced herself she didn't do it -- I read that shrinks think Jeff McDonald has done that.

Putting the other guy in the 1st chair isn't really changing lawyers, is it? Not like he needs time to familiarize himself w/the case. I suppose he'd ask for it anyway; they love to delay trials. Seems to me a kindergartener could see how chaotic things are w/Baez running them.

What about selling pics? Didn't see that. On In Session they said she's been declared indigent & the state is paying her team.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
In 2008, Casey owed the IRS $68,000 in taxes. She never paid her bill. She's now on the hook for tax evasion. It's actually a little ironic that the girl who never worked owes the IRS so much money. If she gets off for the murder, I doubt she'll get off for the taxes--that seems to never happen.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results