shape
carat
color
clarity

Casey Anthony trial...

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
Anybody watching any of this trial? I just heard the 911 calls and I cannot believe that poor Caylee was missing for 31 days and Casey (her mother) never reported anything. When casey's mother Cindy finally called 911, Casey was so casual on the 911 call when asked why she hadn't reported it earlier. I'm not sure what exactly she is guilty of but she is not an innocent party in my opinion.

megumic

Brilliant_Rock
Ohhh what channel?? I watched closely as Casey was arrested and this all went down in July 2008 and I've been interested in this case ever since. It blows my mind the things that have happened and been revealed. The story keeps changing, which is fascinating. I'll watch too!

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
I've been watching it on CNN. They are replaying the 911 calls throughout the day. You should definitely watch. Finally, when Casey told Cindy that Caylee was missing for 31 days, Cindy called 911 immediately and was so distraught. Then the 911 operator asked to speak to Casey and Caysey gets on the phone and is emotionless and cold and even lies and says that she spoke to Caylee briefly the other day. The operator asked her why she waited 31 days to inform authorities and she says that she was looking for her and using other ways of finding her. The trial started on Saturday. Casey's mom Cindy was on all day today. I wonder if we'll ever really know what happened. Casey hadn't been at her mom's house for over a month, then she showed up without Caylee, with a car smelling like a dead body, and that is when Cindy got worried that something had happened to poor Caylee.

gemdandy

Shiny_Rock
I've been taping the trial from truTV. They show live trial coverage from 9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
That's a good idea! Cindy Anthony is being cross examined now. The defense is trying to get the point across that Casey Anthony had imaginary friends. I didn't realize till now that the defense is trying to say that Caylee drowned in the pool and casey's dad George tried to cover it up. I don't know. If Casey had imaginary friends, then I think she imagined this alternate scenario. :rolleyes:

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The trial started a week ago. Casey's father, George, has already testified twice. In addition, Casey's boyfriend at the time of disappearance and reporting of same, as well as her ex-boyfriends, also testified last week. I haven't been watching the trial on television but have been reading summaries in the news. The defense is throwing Casey's family (well, mostly father) under the bus and blaming them for the death as well as Casey's emotional problems.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am not keeping up with the trial but I wouldn't doubt that there is some mental illness going on. It is too bad no one intervened before it got out of control.

lbbaber

Brilliant_Rock
The trial (which started the beginning of last week) is on tv each day while it is happening live (TruTV). They are even doing half days on Saturdays bc the jury will be sequestered for so long. I have been watching/glued to the TV.

I figured it would be a crazy case when the defense attorney said in his opening arguments that Casey had been "molested by her dad from age 8"....literally said she would have "his p*nis in her mouth in the morning and then she would leave for school". He also said that she found her daughter dead in her dad's arms after she drowned in the pool and that she was too afraid of her dad to report it.

While I am sure that the family is not exactly mentally stable, I honestly don't believe A WORD of this defense. She even tried to say that her brother has also mollested her. She's full of it!

I was hoping someone would start a thread about the trial.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been watching as much of it as possible. I even watched jury selection which I NEVER would have qualified for since I have
followed the case so closely. I almost feel sorry for the defense. I cant wait till its their turn to present their side of the case.
All they are trying to do is catch people on little things that they said but it seems like the only one that is being caught in lies
is Casey. In the opening speeches the defense said to follow the duct tape which supposedly implicates George because the
duct tape came from their house...like Casey wouldnt/couldnt have used it. I think the defense better come up with something
or she is going down. I dont think she will get death but maybe life.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
I followed this case from the beginning, and I have to say, I either watch the trail or stream it live when I can...not to mention watch the evening coverage, a la, Nancy Grace at night.

I think the defense is really stretching. When Baez first threw down the sexual abuse gauntlet in opening statements, I'll admit, it shocked me. Enough so that I was like "maybe..." But watching the follow up, and the witnesses, and the experts, I have to say now, I don't believe a word. It's just another lie that somehow managed to get told, part of Casey alternative reality. The entire defense reads like a conspiracy theory...George molested her, Lee molested her, Cindy didn't move the pool ladder, the meter-reader had the body...all the "poor Casey, innocent since the day she was born had the bad luck of knowing all these defunct people" you can stomach. Yeah, I don't buy it. The molestation isn't even a realized fact mind you, Casey is dreaming about it at night, and only after her inmate-pen pal shared her story with Casey...

Casey is her own worst enemy. It doesn't matter how many times she tells a lie, it will never be truth. At this point, even if Casey said the grass is green and the sky is blue, you'd have to pause for a moment to think it over before agreeing. She sits there wiping away her crocodile tears as her lies are unfolding. She has zero remorse for the toll this taking on everyone involved, if you doubt that, read her jailhouse letters--talking about changing her identity when she's found not guilty, the RV trips she's planning and how she should settled down with an Irish man and adopt some more babies. Sick, depraved indifference.

http://www.myfoxorlando.com/dpp/news/anthony_case/040610-casey-anthony

Do I think the Anthony home was a healthy one? No. I think they let Casey get away with a lot, from the stealing to the lies. Casey was never held accountable for her actions against them, and I believe at some point defending her became the easier path. George and Cindy didn't want their daughter to be cold, calculating monster. They saw her as their child, a child they loved very much. Couple that with the glaring fact that they didn't want Casey to take Caylee and vanish, which is what would have probably happened, since Caylee was built in leverage. But do I think the family victimized Casey? No. I think she victimized them, and continues to do so.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I feel very sorry for the Anthonys. They lost their granddaughter & now their daughter is trashing them in the worst possible way. I can't imagine the pain they must be going through. No abuse was ever reported. Casey never talked to any friend about it, since the supposed age of 8 & no regular medical checkups found anything suggestive of abuse. Only living in the house could anybody know if the allegations are true or not, but in view of the above, I really doubt it. The Menendez brothers tried the same tactic -- and look where they are.

Mrs. Anthony looked like death warmed over on the stand today. Exhausted & just completely used up. Casey seems to me like a total narcissist.

--- Laurie

lulu

Ideal_Rock
I'm fascinated by that girl. I watch a lot of court tv (tru tv) because I'm a retired lawyer, but I've never been this interested in a case.

I believe it was premeditated murder given the duct tape. But the lies and her detached demeanor are consistent with having been sexually abused as a child. I'm thinking there may be something to the allegation. I really feel sorry for Cindy.

lbbaber

Brilliant_Rock
lulu|1306886934|2934897 said:
I'm fascinated by that girl. I watch a lot of court tv (tru tv) because I'm a retired lawyer, but I've never been this interested in a case.

I believe it was premeditated murder given the duct tape. But the lies and her detached demeanor are consistent with having been sexually abused as a child. I'm thinking there may be something to the allegation. I really feel sorry for Cindy.

Or a sociopath...not to mention a few other psychological disorders in the DSM-IV.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
lulu|1306886934|2934897 said:

I look at the contempt and disrespect and outright hatred that crosses Casey Anthony's face when her parents are on the stand, and I just cannot believe that if she would sit in jail for 3 years, willfully putting herself through a trial where she could end up on death row, if her parents knew or helped her with Caylee's body. I just cannot believe that to be true. She's throwing them under the bus now, and I think if there was an inkling of truth to her claims, she would have spared herself long, long before opening statements. She doesn't care about anything or anyone other than herself, not her friends and certainly not her family. If during the first hours of the investigation she could have cast suspicious from herself onto her father, she would have gleefully done so, it's her nature. This is Baez 'hail Mary' play. These claims are nothing more than something Casey cooked up in her cell when Baez said "give me something to work with here" and she had nothing. George put himself under fire, because unlike Cindy, he wasn't the 'first responder', he tried to kill him....he was an easy target.

I think Casey is a pathological liar. Period. She created an entire network of people whom don't exist, a job that doesn't exist, spent money she didn't have, and lived this "bella vita" until she couldn't anymore. She tested, apparently, "sane"...meaning she's not a psychopath. I think, in the world we live, we're really comfortable with diagnosis's, we don't run from labels...we fear what we cannot label more. If the tests had shown her as a schizophrenic, we would have all collectively nodded in solace. But that's the not the case, I think, at the root of it all, Casey is just evil, classically narcissistic. She may feel like everyone else has the problem, but if she cared even in the slightest, that would be evident...and it's not there at all.

My guess is that Caylee was getting older. At 3 years old, Caylee would have been able to verbally express Casey's "parenting" style...Mommy doesn't go to work, who is Zanny...it was getting to the point where Casey would have either had to stand up and be the parent/bread winner she pretended to be, or she would have had to own her shortcomings. She wasn't prepared or willing to do either. The social circle she was running in wasn't showing signs of stopping or slowing down...they were young kids ready to party, not parent. The men she associated with were going to school to be club promoters. She wanted that life for herself and to be part of that, she wasn't prepared for motherhood. When Caylee was a baby, it was easier to pull off the balance, but those days were winding down. She made a decision. Maybe not consciously and maybe not right away, which is why the computer searches were months prior. But the seed was planted and it grew and grew. What happened from there, only two people know--one is dead, one isn't being honest. But a mother who loves their child, no matter what life that mother came from herself, does not hole up in bed with a boyfriend, go on shopping sprees, enter hot-body-contests, and act like they don't have a care in world when that baby is dead accidentally or missing. They do not throw their baby in a wooded lot or wrap it her up in duct tape and laundry bags and let her decompose in the trunk of their car. That, there is no excuse for.

My heart breaks for Cindy Anthony. There was a while there, when she was the staunch supporter of Casey and unwilling to budge, that she made me very angry. But today I saw her differently, and I got it. Her whole life has blown up, everyone she loves has been publicly crucified, her beautiful granddaughter murdered. She lost her grandbaby and didn't want to lose her daughter. I understand that, it's her whole world. And I think today was her onus, where she is staying as close to the truth as possible, knowing the full well what the consequences of this may be. It must be killing her.

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
Did anyone notice when Cindy was asked about her trip to NYC? Casey immediately turns to her lawyer and says "when did they go to NY?" For some reason, the way she did that rubbed me the wrong way. Maybe it was just me.

Also, when they played the recorded call from her in prison to her friend Kristina at her parents house, she said in reference to her family something like "all they want is Caylee back". Her saying that made me feel like she resented the attention her little girl got from her family.

She is a pathological liar for sure and she is so cold. Did anyone catch the end of today when Baez asked Cindy a couple questions about Casey's graduation party? What was the reasoning do you think for that questioning? Even Cindy looked annoyed and confused by it.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
...Because Casey never graduated. It was a farce.

I think it was Baez's way of specifically highlight an event in which the whole family lied. Putting Cindy on the spot and making her take accountability for letting that sort of behavior slide.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didnt see the end so I'm probably not even answering your questions but Baez is trying to prove how dysfunctional the
family is by the fact that she didnt graduate and they didnt tell anyone until the last minute...just like when she was
pregnant and they tried to deny it at the wedding. Seems like everyone else knew she had to be prego except George and
Cindy.

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
aahhh...I get it. I didn't realize that she never graduated. I thought she was a credit short or something and ended up finishing up that extra credit after graduation which is why the party was still on. I must have missed the pregnancy denial part of the trial. So fill me in... Her mom didn't know she was pregnant, or the defense feels that she did know but was just in denial. What happened at the wedding? Tomorrow I am DVR'ing Tru Tv!

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
lizzyann01|1306893631|2934999 said:
Did anyone notice when Cindy was asked about her trip to NYC? Casey immediately turns to her lawyer and says "when did they go to NY?" For some reason, the way she did that rubbed me the wrong way. Maybe it was just me.

Also, when they played the recorded call from her in prison to her friend Kristina at her parents house, she said in reference to her family something like "all they want is Caylee back". Her saying that made me feel like she resented the attention her little girl got from her family.

She is a pathological liar for sure and she is so cold. Did anyone catch the end of today when Baez asked Cindy a couple questions about Casey's graduation party? What was the reasoning do you think for that questioning? Even Cindy looked annoyed and confused by it.

I did notice the shock over the NYC trip. I don't know if it was over the trip itself or the book deal. But, I do know, because it was in the jail letters Casey wrote, she took huge issue with Cindy Anthony copywriting Caylee's name. So I'd imagine it was probably a lot of things about the trip that pissed Casey off.

And yes, the phone call with Kristina was really a mind bender. She just wanted to talk to her boyfriend. I mean, really? Her boyfriend of a whopping two months who barely knew Caylee, that's who she wanted to spend her precious moments talking to? Clearly, that's where her priorities were in the middle of all that devastation. Casey was furious that no one would give her that number, everyone wanted to discuss Caylee, but that's not what Casey wanted, so she threw a temper tantrum.

I almost wish they would have let Casey call him...those tapes would have been made public as well. I wish we could have heard what she said to him...that would answer a lot of questions.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
lizzyann01|1306895023|2935024 said:
aahhh...I get it. I didn't realize that she never graduated. I thought she was a credit short or something and ended up finishing up that extra credit after graduation which is why the party was still on. I must have missed the pregnancy denial part of the trial. So fill me in... Her mom didn't know she was pregnant, or the defense feels that she did know but was just in denial. What happened at the wedding? Tomorrow I am DVR'ing Tru Tv!

Casey was about 7 months pregnant when she attended her uncle's wedding. Her uncle and grandmother confronted Cindy and George and were like "um, Casey's pregnant"...both Cindy and George denied it. They didn't believe she was pregnant. Casey had told them she was retaining water, had female troubles, Cindy and George took that as gospel and believed her.

After the wedding, Cindy sat Casey down and at some point Casey admitted it, that yes, she was pregnant. Casey, prior to this confrontation, was aware she was pregnant and actively concealing it. She had discussed with a friend at work (she was working for Universal Studio's at the time as a photographer with Kodak) placing her baby up for adoption. The friend, was a girl Casey had gone to high school with. The friend couldn't have children of her own, but was married and really wanted a baby. Casey and her friend had discussed the possibility of Casey adopting the baby to her friend.

When Cindy found out Casey was pregnant, Cindy wanted Casey to keep the baby. Thus, her adoption plans feel through. She told her friend "her mom was making her keep the baby".

Casey has lied, since the beginning, about the origins of Caylee...Caylee's father has been no less than 3 men, according to Casey. One, Jess Grund, which a DNA test disproved. Then, two men other men, both of which are dead. The names of the two men have changed, depending on who asked. Cindy and George believe it to be one man, 2 years younger then Casey who was a 'friend' from some time back, who lived in another state and was having troubles with his girlfriend when he hooked up with Casey (a one night stand). He died shortly after Caylee was born in an auto accident, but he does have another child, Caylee's step brother.

lulu

Ideal_Rock
Oh, she's a sociopath-no doubt about it. And while sociopathy may have a genetic component, it is believed by most experts that the environment is largely responsible for the disease (along with brain injury). The family is wonky. Can you look at that picture of Casey at her uncle's wedding at 7 months pregnant and believe she's just holding water? And Cindy is a nurse!

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
lulu|1306902071|2935140 said:
Oh, she's a sociopath-no doubt about it. And while sociopathy may have a genetic component, it is believed by most experts that the environment is largely responsible for the disease (along with brain injury). The family is wonky. Can you look at that picture of Casey at her uncle's wedding at 7 months pregnant and believe she's just holding water? And Cindy is a nurse!

I do agree that it's hard to believe looking at it when we're all in the know. I mean, if you see a pregnant woman 7 months along, you know she's pregnant. But, then again, I look at the family dynamic and Casey's over all attitude towards the truth and I don't see it as far fetched. They aren't the first parents to "miss" a pregnancy, nurse or not. Casey is pathological, if she wanted to disguise her pregnancy, I have no doubts that she could do just that.

After watching Cindy on the stand yesterday, I have a hard time railroading her. Before yesterday, I would have done it with pleasure. But there is something about how she's grieving and absolutely overwrought with emotion that just won't allow me to trash her. Same goes for George, whom I doubt will make it out of this trial alive.

They obviously made mistakes as parents, but something struck a cord with me when the attorney asked Cindy if she raised Casey to tell the truth, and she looked up absolutely heartbroken and said "I tried too".

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I just cannot believe that if she would sit in jail for 3 years, willfully putting herself through a trial where she could end up on death row, if her parents knew or helped her with Caylee's body.
Good point, Italia. Judging from all the responsibility & pain she has tried to avoid all her life, that would be in character.

[Cindy's] whole life has blown up, everyone she loves has been publicly crucified, her beautiful granddaughter murdered. She lost her grandbaby and didn't want to lose her daughter. I understand that, it's her whole world. And I think today was her onus, where she is staying as close to the truth as possible, knowing the full well what the consequences of this may be. It must be killing her.
Yeah.

Good people who parent to the best of their abilities sometimes still end up with a sleazy kid. It isn't always something they did -- so many outside influences & temptations today affect character in addition to family life. I suspect they were in denial for years about indications that were apparent -- the grad. party & pregnancy are examples -- because they couldn't believe the child they raised & loved was such a jerk. If I talked about spending so much time w/a whole group of friends in my teens, I know my parents would've insisted I bring them home so they could meet them. The Anthonys never did -- but again, nowadays, how many do? Cindy said they trusted her completely. Easy to deplore in hindsight, but she never got into trouble (till the baby), didn't appear to do drugs, etc., why would they worry?

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Jewelfreak, you bring up some interesting points.

Casey was, according to the book Mommy's Little Girl never a trouble maker until after high school. Her friends, the one's she spent her childhood with, are the ones who noted the change in her behavior.

Casey lead a fictional life. Which, I guess, would have been fine if it didn't interfere with so many other lives. Casey was a habitual thief. She wasn't working, and instead of getting a job like a normal person, she decided that taking what she wanted was easier. Not only did she steal from her friends, she also took money from her grandfather that was used for his assisted living care. Prior to be arrested for the murder of her daughter, Casey was brought in on unrelated charges stemming from an incident where she stole hundreds of dollars from a friend by lifting her friends checkbook. In those security videos the prosecution entered into evidence last week, when Casey was out galavanting around at Target, Ikea, buying clothes and other junk...she was doing so with her friends money.

So yes, Casey was in trouble, a lot. George and Cindy repaid, to a point, Casey's debts--or at least that's my understand. Which is partially why the public was so outraged by them. It appeared to the world and all that the Anthony's were just too stupid for words. Here they were, all but eating Casey's BS with a spoon, and turning around and paying for it!! People hated them for their tolerance and their ignorance. Which, in hindsight as you said, is easy compartmentalize.

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
Italia, what's the scoop on her job situation? I just heard a snippit that she didn't have a job and was getting dressed to go to work and taking Caylee to the made up "Zanny's".

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
lizzyann01|1306934643|2935313 said:
Italia, what's the scoop on her job situation? I just heard a snippit that she didn't have a job and was getting dressed to go to work and taking Caylee to the made up "Zanny's".

Okay...here is what I've gathered on Casey's "jobs"...

Before Casey was pregnant and while she was pregnant, Casey worked for Kodak and did work for Universal Studios. She was the girl that would walk around the park, take people's pictures and try to sell the photo's to the people at the close of the day.

After Caylee was born, she never legitimately went back to work. However, she told her family and friends that she went into HR and was reassigned to the event planning division of Universal Studios. Obviously, as we know now, this was a lie.

She pretended for almost 3 years to hold this event planning position. As was her nature, Casey would promise people tickets to events--like the premiere of The Dark Knight--which she obviously couldn't pull off. Despite that, she must have been very convincing, despite never getting a paycheck, people (everyone!) believed her. She would fake phone calls, e-mails and work trips. She would get up in the morning, get dressed and pretend to go off to work. She would tell people that her schedule was flexible, and changed a lot.

It was through her "job connections" at Universal that she met Zanny, who was the girlfriend of her coworker, Jeff. Zanny cared for her Jeff's son and Caylee together. Eventually, according to Casey, Zanny and Jeff broke things off and Casey shared with her mother that she hoped she and Jeff could get a house together and raise their children together as a family. Evidently, this job and all the people were very much a part of her alternate reality and harbored no inkling of truth.

But, that's not where the madness ends...

Casey also lied about working for the Sports Authority close to her parents home. Her father busted her after showing up to take her lunch and the employees of the where like "Casey who?".

What has always bothered me about the "job" situation, and remains unanswered, is this...

There were times when Caylee was neither with Casey nor with Cindy. Times when that little girl was with "Zanny" and, ergo, totally unaccounted for. Who was she with or where was she?

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
Italiahaircolor said:
There were times when Caylee was neither with Casey nor with Cindy. Times when that little girl was with "Zanny" and, ergo, totally unaccounted for. Who was she with or where was she?

On another site I read, which has been obsessed with this case since '08, they surmise that Zanny = Xanax and Casey would drug Caylee and put her in the trunk of her car or wherever. With duct tape on her mouth.

lbbaber

Brilliant_Rock
herekittykitty|1306942711|2935379 said:
Italiahaircolor said:

On another site I read, which has been obsessed with this case since '08, they surmise that Zanny = Xanax and Casey would drug Caylee and put her in the trunk of her car or wherever. With duct tape on her mouth.

That is very interesting! I know people that have abused Xanax and that is what they call them "Zannies". Wow!

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the run down Italia! So NONE of this was factual at all. Holy crap. They did find the Zanny person though didn't they? And she had never met Caylee right? What does Cindy think happened to Caylee now? Does she think that Casey killed Caylee or does she think it was an accident that she tried to cover up? I have a hard time figuring out what exactly Cindy thinks in all of this?

lb and herekitty, believe it or not the first time I heard the name Zanny in all of this, I immediately thought of Xanax and that Casey was possibly using it on Caylee and one day Caylee just didn't wake up.

It is confirmed that the body they found was Caylee though right?

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
lizzyann01|1306950254|2935473 said:
Thanks for the run down Italia! So NONE of this was factual at all. Holy crap. They did find the Zanny person though didn't they? And she had never met Caylee right? What does Cindy think happened to Caylee now? Does she think that Casey killed Caylee or does she think it was an accident that she tried to cover up? I have a hard time figuring out what exactly Cindy thinks in all of this?

lb and herekitty, believe it or not the first time I heard the name Zanny in all of this, I immediately thought of Xanax and that Casey was possibly using it on Caylee and one day Caylee just didn't wake up.

It is confirmed that the body they found was Caylee though right?

They did find a Zanida, but it wasn't "Casey's Zanny". The Zanida they found, ironically, did fill out an application to live in the Sawgrass Apartments (this is where Casey claimed Zanny lived)...but she had no knowledge of Casey or Caylee. She later filed a defamation suit against Casey.

I do want to say, though, even in the jailhouse letters, Casey still refers to Zanny as a living, breathing person. Claiming only she and her defense know Zanny's whereabouts and they are choosing to keep her out of the spotlight. She claims Caylee WAS with Zanny for a period during those 31 days...in direct conflict with her defense, because as they said, Caylee was never missing, she was always just dead.

Cindy has stood beside Casey since the start. She rallied for her daughter, defending her to anyone who would listen. Actually, both of her parents did. In the earlier days of the case, when Caylee was missing, she refused to believe that Caylee was dead. Things between the Anthony's and protestors were infamously heated. George was even spit on.

When the skeletal remains of a child were found within walking distance of the Anthony home, DNA test confirmed it was Caylee. Tests also confirmed that death-band hair belong to Caylee was found in the trunk of Casey's car, as well as high levels of chloroform.

As of now, what Cindy believes...I don't know. I think yesterday, when Cindy was crippled on the stand and vomiting during the recess in the washroom, was very telling. I don't think she wants her only daughter to die, but I think it's also very hard for her to sit and listen to Casey accuse her husband of sexual abuse, her son of sexual abuse, and not come to the conclusion that Casey is still lying to save herself at the sacrifice of all else.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results