shape
carat
color
clarity

Cartier Trinity owners - talk to me about The Scratching?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Cartier Trinity owners - talk to me about The Scratching

Oh Harper that's really lovely :love: The finish looks soft, silky, and deliberate in those pictures, thank you for sharing them with me! ::) I do see what other posters said re. the yellow and rose golds blending, but they do still look distinct in your photo, and I think it helps that each band is a different colour - I find myself specifically looking for the differences between them...

Beautiful! :love: :love:

lia Fair enough! I tried on the Trinity ring and it wasn't for me either - it just didn't flatter my finger. The piece I'm lusting after is the bracelet! I know everyone's different, but me, I can't make myself love something if I don't love it already, so I'd have a tough time in your shoes. I hope that your feelings do come to change, or that you become comfortable with the idea of selling it and buying something else that makes your heart melt instead ::)

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock

Yssie|1391808006|3610334 said:
Oh Harper that's really lovely :love: The finish looks soft, silky, and deliberate in those pictures, thank you for sharing them with me! ::) I do see what other posters said re. the yellow and rose golds blending, but they do still look distinct in your photo, and I think it helps that each band is a different colour - I find myself specifically looking for the differences between them...

Thanks Yssie -- I always think of the ring and didn't realize you're thinking of a bracelet!
If you go forward, do post pics! I rarely see them.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Harpertoo|1391808466|3610338 said:

Thanks Yssie -- I always think of the ring and didn't realize you're thinking of a bracelet!

Oh, I always hear "Trinity" and I think "ring", and "Love" and "bracelet" - for whatever reason those are my automatic associations. But I tried the bracelet on last year and I just haven't been able to get it out of my head since, so I'm taking it as a sign (convenient, I know)! If, when, whatever the correct prefix is, I definitely will post a ton of pics :bigsmile:

Sparklelu

Brilliant_Rock

I got mine in October. It has "faded" a bit. No obvious scratches. I love mine, but I have one small complaint, I think the Cartier word is too faint! Not that I want some big honking logo, but without the logo I could be wearing a knock off:)
When I went into the store right after I got it, to try the next size up, I mentioned it to the SA and she said because each one is hand engraved some benches have a lighter hand. I even thought about exchanging it for the next size up, hoping to get a different engraver, but that size is too big. Am I weird or what????

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

HI:

I wonder if mine is still so shiny b/c of the one the ceramic ring? That and the fact I don't wear it daily....

Yssie: I have a solution to the patina look---get ALL diamond! :love: :bigsmile:

cheers--Sharon

Miss_Fluffy_Cat

Rough_Rock

Seriously out of focus, sorry, but just to show how similar the colours can look.

168-6879_0.jpg

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yssie|1391801305|3610234 said:
Rhea - well, it sounds like the scratching is in fact exactly as inevitable as I figured it'd be :sun: Do you think you'll ever take it in to a boutique for a full polish?

Nope! I'm pretty handy with a polishing cloth and even though it looks best shiny shiny the scratching is so light that it just needs a gentle rub every couple of months so far. There are no big dings and each of the colours still stands out, just not quite as much as when it's first been lightly polished with a silver cloth. I pop my knuckles non-stop and playing with my ring while reading in the evening keeps my hands busy enough that I don't absent-mindedly crack my knuckles. Instead a slightly annoying tinkling sound can be heard in my home :bigsmile:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks Sparklelu! I laughed out loud - I completely understand and I'd probably have considered doing the same thing if I had a preference!! I assume yours engraved on the outside? And oh, will they re-engrave if it fades too much?

The bracelet is only engraved on the interior of the RG band so I think it's less likely to fade, but I suppose we'd have to see if that's actually how it works! ::)

HAH, Sharon, now why didn't I think of that? I think it's a wonderful idea - you're going to pitch in the 20k extra I'll need, right? :bigsmile:

The SA I talked to told me that the ceramic is particularly scratch-resistent, so I'm thinking that may well be part of it :sun:

MFC Thank you for the photo!! The colours look softly blended - it's such a pretty combination :love:
I LOVE it paired with the band!!!

Rhea I should get my DH one! He's a serial knuckle-popper and it drives me batty! But... knowing him... it would become the world's most expensive screwdriver/bottle opener ::)

It's actually great to hear that so many particular and observant PSers are content to let their Trinities wear naturally ::)

hathalove

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Miss_Fluffy_Cat|1391858009|3610697 said:
Seriously out of focus, sorry, but just to show how similar the colours can look.
What diamond band is this?

hathalove

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Yssie|1391810720|3610373 said:
Harpertoo|1391808466|3610338 said:

Oh, I always hear "Trinity" and I think "ring", and "Love" and "bracelet" - for whatever reason those are my automatic associations. But I tried the bracelet on last year and I just haven't been able to get it out of my head since, so I'm taking it as a sign (convenient, I know)! If, when, whatever the correct prefix is, I definitely will post a ton of pics :bigsmile:

I absolutely LOVE the bracelet! It is beautiful and so luxe. I tried it on too :bigsmile:

Miss_Fluffy_Cat

Rough_Rock

It's Blue Nile 7-stone floating 1ct, there's a better pic of it in the diamond eternity rings thread.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I am bumping this thread because when I bought my Trinity it was preloved and very scratched up but I wore it and played with it all the time so didn’t intend to polish. Now I’m considering a polish because I don’t wear it as often. But what I don’t know and isn’t yet answered in this thread is - when it’s polished does the inscription get buffed off and therefore have to be reinsribed?

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am bumping this thread because when I bought my Trinity it was preloved and very scratched up but I wore it and played with it all the time so didn’t intend to polish. Now I’m considering a polish because I don’t wear it as often. But what I don’t know and isn’t yet answered in this thread is - when it’s polished does the inscription get buffed off and therefore have to be reinsribed?

It shouldn't with one polish but only Cartier could answer that for sure. I honestly wouldn't do it unless you want to sell it.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

After reading this old thread we need a picture !

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium

@Mreader I have quickly and lightly (especially on the rose gold inscription) used my sunshine cloth on it to shine it up. I love mine!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mine is pretty scratched. Here’s a pic @Daisys and Diamonds (next to a shiny ring). I had to google Sunshine cloth. Are those any different or better than a regular polishing cloth?

380AE87B-212D-44AF-B917-071195F2DE57.jpeg

Its a petty ring
I didn't used to be too keen on the style thanks to all the infomercials back in the 90s for Russian wedding rings but im starting to really like them now

but its very intetesting to know how the rose and yellow gold can loose colour defination

i have never heard of a sunshine cloth but i had amazing results on an old 9k rose gold ring i thought was brass ( it was so tarnished ) just with using one of those blue 'silver cloths'

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Mreader wow! That really is quite scratched. I will look to see mine better in the light tomorrow. The sunshine cloth is a nice polishing cloth. Be gentle and I wouldn’t go too hard with it but it may help.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine is pretty scratched. Here’s a pic @Daisys and Diamonds (next to a shiny ring). I had to google Sunshine cloth. Are those any different or better than a regular polishing cloth?

Wow. Are any of those dents or that pitting visible on the interior? Are all three bands still round? That’s way more damage than just the bands rubbing against each other! That ring wasn’t just “worn” - it was abused :shock:

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oof IMO that's way more than "scratched", that's dinged up badly. I have worn mine plenty for over 6 years and it doesn't look like that at all. ETA: mine has a frosty patina, almost like many designers now do on purpose.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Edit: sunshine cloths have a tiny bit of rouge polish in them, I believe. Can mitigate fine scratching but won’t do anything for grooves/pitting/nicking/denting/deeper texture.

Smoothing the surface out would require removing enough material from the tops of the bands to effectively “slice off” the tops of the pits/dents - I wouldn’t do that, TBH, I think that would remove more gold than you’d want. This ring has a long story, I’d just let it keep telling it ::)

Last edited:

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I bought it Preloved with papers. I will try to dig out the papers and see what year it was but it was quite old. I didn’t realize that it was unusually dinged up - I have not seen other peoples trinities.

Edit - not as old as I had remembered. 2009. I got it in 2019 I think.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Wow. Are any of those dents or that pitting visible on the interior? Are all three bands still round? That’s way more damage than just the bands rubbing against each other! That ring wasn’t just “worn” - it was abused :shock:

The inside looks normal

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
The inside looks normal

I have the trinity ring with channel set diamonds. I’ve had it for years and play with it all the time and I still think it looks good. Probably could use a polish but I think it’s held up well.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I have the trinity ring with channel set diamonds. I’ve had it for years and play with it all the time and I still think it looks good. Probably could use a polish but I think it’s held up well.

Geez maybe the person who owned mine before had some nervous tic or something lol. I didn’t realize mine was crazy banged up.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Geez maybe the person who owned mine before had some nervous tic or something lol. I didn’t realize mine was crazy banged up.

I almost wonder if they had a baby or child who would chew on it? Or even possibly themselves?! Lol Maybe they wore it on a long necklace and it got wacked on every object around.

Either way I'm with @Daisys and Diamonds , I actually still like the dents/tings as theyre uniform at least and it almost looks like an intense purposeful surfacing done by an abstract jeweler.

I'm not a brand girl whatsoever, I'm just a quality girl. I take care of my things and buy them to last. All of your explanations and pictures are truly making me fall in love with this ring & the idea of each one being unique in that the scratches are apart of each ones own story!

Please keep the pictures coming everyone!

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock

Lol
I don’t know how I quoted you. I didn’t mean to.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results