shape
carat
color
clarity

Cartier lovers are going to hate this!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
OP has been very gracious. The thread title is tongue in cheek enough to indicate that disagreement was both expected and welcome; unsurprisingly, there’s some here.

I advise anyone who disagrees with my posts not to ever raise those disagreements with the brands involved… In the interests of not thoroughly embarrassing themselves. But to each her own; I’m also bowing out of this thread now.

I always value your opinion and knowlege @yssie

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would advise those who have voiced objection to my posts to avoid raising those objections as presented here with the brands involved… In the interests of not thoroughly embarrassing themselves. But to each her own; I’m also bowing out of this thread now.

I have to admit, I couldn't care less about the opinion of the girl behind the counter at Cartier. I would imagine that it's wholly beyond her power to embarrass me.

Regardless of where this piece ends up, it started out as a Cartier piece. The addition of the diamonds makes it obvious it's no longer a pure Cartier piece, and cannot be sold as such - which OP has said a few times she won't do. And frankly, even if she *did* intend to, I'm not the jewelry police. I know I wouldn't do it, and that's all I care about.

But I see no issue in leaving in a serial number put there by Cartier at some point as an interesting feature of what WAS, originally, a Cartier piece. Leave it there, take it out - either way, the bangle was, in its original form, from Cartier. Can she sell it as Cartier? No, obviously not, nor is anyone suggesting she do so. But adding diamonds in the manner they've been added makes it clear she's not trying to do that.

It's not like this was never a Cartier piece and someone has *added* a serial number. This was, in all reality, originally a Cartier piece. To say "Look - I added some diamonds. It's not Cartier now, but here's the original serial number" is not trying to defraud. And if that information gets lost over time, and someone unexpectedly wanders into Cartier and the shop assistant has to say "This was originally one of our Love bracelets, but has been doctored in more recent years, and no longer can be treated as one of our pieces," I doubt anyone will die of embarrassment, nor will store security emerge from the back of the store and drag the owner off in handcuffs. As far as I'm concerned and from my experience with them, Cartier's *only* interest in me was in relieving me of as much of my money as I was prepared to give them.

To be honest, because I truly *don't* care what people think on the whole, I would specifically go to Cartier, with the bangle, with the screws, with my receipt, and with my most polite attitude, and make absolute certain as to whether the screws could be re-added - by Cartier - or not. It seems unlikely, but sometimes these brands are more helpful than one might expect. And it would be an interesting thing to know; it's possible they might see the restoration of the original screws as a repair. I suspect any chance you had of that happening would only hold true if you had the original screws, so I'd definitely hold onto them if they survived their removal in tact.

It's a curiosity, and I would approach it in that manner. There's no proviso that I know of that, when Cartier sells a piece, the piece cannot be changed. Resold as Cartier - no. (And I think we all get it re that!) But changed and de-Cartiered - no regulation I know of. Personally, I would have asked Cartier that before I'd done it because I would have wanted to know my options. But this is a learning situation and interesting because of it.

Anyway, enjoy your jewel, @princessk - you've certainly raised a conundrum!

Last edited:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As a note, The “screws” are actually not screws at all. They are “screw motifs”. I think they are actually built into the mold of the bangle. I think that when the bangle is cast the screw motifs are part of the mold. To make space for diamonds, I think they would need to drill and carve out chunks of gold. My theory and observation on my bangle.

adlgel

Shiny_Rock
As a note, The “screws” are actually not screws at all. They are “screw motifs”. I think they are actually built into the mold of the bangle. I think that when the bangle is cast the screw motifs are part of the mold. To make space for diamonds, I think they would need to drill and carve out chunks of gold. My theory and observation on my bangle.

Isn't one screw an actual screw - the screw used to open and close the bangle? But yes I agree, the other screws are simply a decorative motif carved or cast into the bangle.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have to admit, I couldn't care less about the opinion of the girl behind the counter at Cartier. I would imagine that it's wholly beyond her power to embarrass me.

Regardless of where this piece ends up, it started out as a Cartier piece. The addition of the diamonds makes it obvious it's no longer a pure Cartier piece, and cannot be sold as such - which OP has said a few times she won't do. And frankly, even if she *did* intend to, I'm not the jewelry police. I know I wouldn't do it, and that's all I care about.

But I see no issue in leaving in a serial number put there by Cartier at some point as an interesting feature of what WAS, originally, a Cartier piece. Leave it there, take it out - either way, the bangle was, in its original form, from Cartier. Can she sell it as Cartier? No, obviously not, nor is anyone suggesting she do so. But adding diamonds in the manner they've been added makes it clear she's not trying to do that.

It's not like this was never a Cartier piece and someone has *added* a serial number. This was, in all reality, originally a Cartier piece. To say "Look - I added some diamonds. It's not Cartier now, but here's the original serial number" is not trying to defraud. And if that information gets lost over time, and someone unexpectedly wanders into Cartier and the shop assistant has to say "This was originally one of our Love bracelets, but has been doctored in more recent years, and no longer can be treated as one of our pieces," I doubt anyone will die of embarrassment, nor will store security emerge from the back of the store and drag the owner off in handcuffs. As far as I'm concerned and from my experience with them, Cartier's *only* interest in me was in relieving me of as much of my money as I was prepared to give them.

To be honest, because I truly *don't* care what people think on the whole, I would specifically go to Cartier, with the bangle, with the screws, with my receipt, and with my most polite attitude, and make absolute certain as to whether the screws could be re-added - by Cartier - or not. It seems unlikely, but sometimes these brands are more helpful than one might expect. And it would be an interesting thing to know; it's possible they might see the restoration of the original screws as a repair. I suspect any chance you had of that happening would only hold true if you had the original screws, so I'd definitely hold onto them if they survived their removal in tact.

It's a curiosity, and I would approach it in that manner. There's no proviso that I know of that, when Cartier sells a piece, the piece cannot be changed. Resold as Cartier - no. (And I think we all get it re that!) But changed and de-Cartiered - no regulation I know of. Personally, I would have asked Cartier that before I'd done it because I would have wanted to know my options. But this is a learning situation and interesting because of it.

Anyway, enjoy your jewel, @princessk - you've certainly raised a conundrum!

@mrs-b I get that you wouldn't be embarrassed in that situation. More power to you. I on the other hand would, and I'm not afraid or ashamed to admit it. I wouldn't "die" but I would be highly embarrassed. I would have wanted the original owner to tell me all about what was done with the bracelet. Then I could decide whether I would want to take into a Cartier store, for whatever purpose or reason. I think it's safe to say that different people would have different reactions and feelings, but being informed would empower any new owner to make the best decision for him/her.

I'll share a personal story. I had brought an LV belt into the LV store for a repair. It was a gift to me from someone who I thought would never gift a fake designer piece. When my usual SA came back and informed me it was a fake, I was very embarrassed. They did nothing to make me feel badly. Nonetheless, I did. I was very grateful to the SA when they explained why they came to that conclusion and they treated me in a very kind and understanding way. I am one of those people that had I known, I would not have brought it in. I get everyone can approach this situation differently.

Last edited:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Isn't one screw an actual screw - the screw used to open and close the bangle? But yes I agree, the other screws are simply a decorative motif carved or cast into the bangle.

Correct. There is one screw that opens the bangle. And one other screw on the opposite side that is the other part of the opening mechanism. The screw motifs in between are for design purposes. My understanding is the OP inserted diamonds into certain screw motifs. It logistically would not be possible to insert diamonds into the screws that are part of the opening and closing mechanism.

adlgel

Shiny_Rock
Correct. There is one screw that opens the bangle. And one other screw on the opposite side that is the other part of the opening mechanism. The screw motifs in between are for design purposes. My understanding is the OP inserted diamonds into certain screw motifs. It logistically would not be possible to insert diamonds into the screws that are part of the opening and closing mechanism.

Ah yes of course two of the motifs would need to be operational to support opening and closing. I don't have a bracelet but I do have the Love wedding band. Initially I bought the 1 diamond Love wedding band but returned it for the 8 diamond band so I no longer have any screw motifs of my own to look at in person.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah yes of course two of the motifs would need to be operational to support opening and closing. I don't have a bracelet but I do have the Love wedding band. Initially I bought the 1 diamond Love wedding band but returned it for the 8 diamond band so I no longer have any screw motifs of my own to look at in person.
Love an all diamond wedding band.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mrs-b I get that you wouldn't be embarrassed in that situation. More power to you. I on the other hand would, and I'm not afraid or ashamed to admit it. I wouldn't "die" but I would be highly embarrassed. I would have wanted the original owner to tell me all about what was done with the bracelet. Then I could decide whether I would want to take into a Cartier store, for whatever purpose or reason. I think it's safe to say that different people would have different reactions and feelings, but being informed would empower any new owner to make the best decision for him/her.

I'll share a personal story. I had brought an LV belt into the LV store for a repair. It was a gift to me from someone who I thought would never gift a fake designer piece. When my usual SA came back and informed me it was a fake, I was very embarrassed. They did nothing to make me feel badly. Nonetheless, I did. I was very grateful to the SA when they explained why they came to that conclusion and they treated me in a very kind and understanding way. I am one of those people that had I known, I would not have brought it in. I get everyone can approach this situation differently.
@LLJsmom -

You did read that I said in both my posts that it was essential that the original owner provide full disclosure, yes? - and that was when passing it on to her family members. Selling it is a whole different ball of wax and not relevant to this thread. So I'm not going there. But if you did see what I wrote, then you will know you and I are on the same page re disclosure, and ergo I'm not clear on why you said you'd have "wanted the original owner to tell me all about what was done with the bracelet." Full disclosure is a given, and I made that clear in my posts. My impression is that the OP is also on the same page, which is far more important than my opinion. And - my apologies for this - but I hadn't actually read your previous posts before posting, so was not responding to those. I wanted to write a longer response the other day when I originally posted and only got around to it today.

I'm sorry you were embarrassed by your experience. Obviously, full disclosure, which I was at pains to recommend, would have saved you from that. But that's not what we're talking about here. Passing off a fake as real is not acceptable in any situation - that's a given. But that's not what the OP was posting about and, frankly, I'm not sure how this thread ended up taking that route, since the OP was clear she does not intend to sell. It's not illegal to insert diamonds into a Cartier piece and keep it for ones' own - serial number or no serial number. Beyond that, our extraneous and unrelated opinions are probably not of much use.

Perhaps we should just enjoy the OPs's piece as is, so that's what I'm going to do. And I direct that comment as much to myself as to anyone else.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@LLJsmom -

You did read that I said in both my posts that it was essential that the original owner provide full disclosure, yes? - and that was when passing it on to her family members. Selling it is a whole different ball of wax and not relevant to this thread. So I'm not going there. But if you did see what I wrote, then you will know you and I are on the same page re disclosure, and ergo I'm not clear on why you said you'd have "wanted the original owner to tell me all about what was done with the bracelet." Full disclosure is a given, and I made that clear in my posts. My impression is that the OP is also on the same page, which is far more important than my opinion. And - my apologies for this - but I hadn't actually read your previous posts before posting, so was not responding to those. I wanted to write a longer response the other day when I originally posted and only got around to it today.

I'm sorry you were embarrassed by your experience. Obviously, full disclosure, which I was at pains to recommend, would have saved you from that. But that's not what we're talking about here. Passing off a fake as real is not acceptable in any situation - that's a given. But that's not what the OP was posting about and, frankly, I'm not sure how this thread ended up taking that route, since the OP was clear she does not intend to sell. It's not illegal to insert diamonds into a Cartier piece and keep it for ones' own - serial number or no serial number. Beyond that, our extraneous and unrelated opinions are probably not of much use.

Perhaps we should just enjoy the OPs's piece as is, so that's what I'm going to do. And I direct that comment as much to myself as to anyone else.

I agree that once a bangle is sold, the owner has the right to whatever he/she wishes. My comments were in the spirit of preserving the complete history of the piece as it gets passed down from generation to generation for the sake of future owners. In the end, the OP is at peace with her decision and enjoying her bangle. And that's all that really matters. Like you said, the rest is just noise.

MagpieMama

Rough_Rock
First of all, the bracelet looks beautiful - wear it in hood health!

I think OP is well within her rights to keep the original serial # intact.
As long as the entire provenance is disclosed, there is no need to scrub a serial # that is part of that provenance.
I have worked for multiple luxury brands (clothing, not jewellery) so my perspective may or may not have some value.

I have a strong aversion to knock off designers goods for 2 specific reasons:

1) Knock offs are often produced under unfavorable human rights conditions and their sale often benefits criminal organizations.

2) Although I worked in the wholesale department rather than the design department of luxury fashion brands, I have the utmost appreciation and respect for the talent, creativity, and blood-sweat-&tears that goes into the design of luxury goods. In that sense they are very much like art, and to buy knockoffs is to cut out the artist from the economic fruits of their labor.

Neither of the these 2 issues exist with OP’s alterations to her bracelet.
The original Cartier designers/craftsman got their due in the original sale of the bracelet (OP purchased second hand) and I doubt her local jeweler is funding criminal organizations or abusing their employees.
She has no intention to resell in an effort to dupe someone into thinking it was original.

It is still a Cartier bracelet, albeit an altered one. It’s original place of manufacture did not magically change.

For comparison (note, I have actually done this exact thing) if I bought a designer gown and had my seamstress add a gros grain waist band to change it up a bit,
am I obligated to remove the designer label?
Is it no longer a gown by that designer?

I think not!

As long as the entire provenance is disclosed, there is no need to scrub a serial # that is part of that provenance.
I have worked for multiple luxury brands (clothing, not jewellery) so my perspective may or may not have some value.

1) Knock offs are often produced under unfavorable human rights conditions and their sale often benefits criminal organizations.

2) Although I worked in the wholesale department rather than the design department of luxury fashion brands, I have the utmost appreciation and respect for the talent, creativity, and blood-sweat-&tears that goes into the design of luxury goods. In that sense they are very much like art, and to buy knockoffs is to cut out the artist from the economic fruits of their labor.

The original Cartier designers/craftsman got their due in the original sale of the bracelet (OP purchased second hand) and I doubt her local jeweler is funding criminal organizations or abusing their employees.
She has no intention to resell in an effort to dupe someone into thinking it was original.

It is still a Cartier bracelet, albeit an altered one. It’s original place of manufacture did not magically change.

For comparison (note, I have actually done this exact thing) if I bought a designer gown and had my seamstress add a gros grain waist band to change it up a bit,

I think not!

Ditto. Another example would be if I were to have a jeweler that's not the original vendor swap out the center basket of a ring for me or something along those lines. I wouldn't go ahead and obliterate the maker's mark just because I made an alteration.

princessk

Shiny_Rock
Premium

I think not!

Thank you I really appreciate your reply. Great points to think about!

OneKuhlChic

Shiny_Rock
I’ve had a preloved Cartier Love bracelet for a couple years and decided to add diamonds to it. Some people tried to talk me out of it but I’m happy I didn’t listen! The price on the diamond ones from Cartier is outrageous! Couldn’t be happier . Cue the critics lol FA75B555-9710-458F-8EF5-87B481A06500.jpeg

It's wonderful and I love it!! Great idea to have the diamonds added yourself. Saves $$$ and looks awesome! Very well done!! 1655389239525.gif

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
If I buy a Porsche 911 and have a tuner boost the HP, it's still a Porsche 911. Don't be removing the VIN number on that bracelet. Your iteration is beautiful, it's yours. Enjoy it.
And thanks for the spirited discussion you sparked!

In @yssie's defense, I can see it being more of an issue if there's already an existing version of this bracelet with the diamonds. In that case, it could be argued that this would be akin to someone swapping out some of the motifs of a VCA onyx bracelet with pave ones, which is much more expensive.

Of course, full disclosure if one was ever to resell or gift it. And yes, the owner is allowed to make whatever alterations to the piece as they wish. But I can understand how this 2nd scenario could feel a bit squicky.

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve had a preloved Cartier Love bracelet for a couple years and decided to add diamonds to it. Some people tried to talk me out of it but I’m happy I didn’t listen! The price on the diamond ones from Cartier is outrageous! Couldn’t be happier . Cue the critics lol FA75B555-9710-458F-8EF5-87B481A06500.jpeg
Who cares what the critics say! No one will ever know in real life that you altered it! I say this because I say kudos to saving a little money! It looks fabulous!!

diamondyes

Brilliant_Rock
Is this not similar to when a Rolex has aftermarket diamond alterations?

princessk

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Who cares what the critics say! No one will ever know in real life that you altered it! I say this because I say kudos to saving a little money! It looks fabulous!!

Saving A LOT of money!! Lol

princessk

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Here is an interesting point as well. My husband has a Corvette. He purchased it new and loaded. He has added just about every bell and whistle that one could add and gets stopped on the street with compliments for his customization. Yet add diamonds to a Cartier bracelet and well you get it…

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results