shape
carat
color
clarity

Cartier lovers are going to hate this!

princessk

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I’ve had a preloved Cartier Love bracelet for a couple years and decided to add diamonds to it. Some people tried to talk me out of it but I’m happy I didn’t listen! The price on the diamond ones from Cartier is outrageous! Couldn’t be happier . Cue the critics lol FA75B555-9710-458F-8EF5-87B481A06500.jpeg

Attachments

• CAB012BA-460A-44B7-B3D8-F45746A4453A.jpeg
    CAB012BA-460A-44B7-B3D8-F45746A4453A.jpeg
    138.4 KB · Views: 118
  • 077D6C54-3E84-4138-B9CB-9CA87E5152BD.jpeg
    077D6C54-3E84-4138-B9CB-9CA87E5152BD.jpeg
    143.7 KB · Views: 121

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I’ve had a preloved Cartier Love bracelet for a couple years and decided to add diamonds to it. Some people tried to talk me out of it but I’m happy I didn’t listen! The price on the diamond ones from Cartier is outrageous! Couldn’t be happier . Cue the critics lol FA75B555-9710-458F-8EF5-87B481A06500.jpeg

Once you have brought it it's yours to do as you wish
It looks fabulous
Enjoy :kiss2:

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I love it and why not? You’ll love it even more and enjoy wearing it!! Beautiful!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks beautiful!!

MamaBear

Brilliant_Rock
Haha! I think it’s beautiful!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not a choice I would make but it’s your piece, and in my view you can do whatever you like with it except resell it as authentic.

Out of curiosity did you have your jeweller remove the serial, etc.? Since it is no longer - and will never again be - an authentic piece?

Edit: This sort of thing happens all the time in the watch market - original frame, aftermarket parts, etc. Its a nightmare in that industry.

Last edited:

princessk

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Wow, I would never have been able to think “outside the box” enough to imagine this was possible! It’s so cool to be able to choose the quality of one’s own diamonds in this classic piece — and maybe even the 6-diamond configuration no longer available from Cartier?

Exactly. Good eye!

princessk

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Not a choice I would make but it’s your piece, and in my view you can do whatever you like with it except resell it as authentic.

Out of curiosity did you have your jeweller remove the serial, etc.? Since it is no longer - and will never again be - an authentic piece?

Edit: This sort of thing happens all the time in the watch market - original frame, aftermarket parts, etc. Its a nightmare in that industry.

Wow never even thought about the serial number. Even after buying it pre loved I would never take it to Cartier to polish etc. plus I will be handing it down to family eventually. But yes I can see how this happens. It is very obvious from the inside that diamonds have been added after market as jeweller did not drill all the way through.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow never even thought about the serial number. Even after buying it pre loved I would never take it to Cartier to polish etc. plus I will be handing it down to family eventually. But yes I can see how this happens. It is very obvious from the inside that diamonds have been added after market as jeweller did not drill all the way through.

You know the brand and have experience with the real thing so you’d pick up on the different drilling! Unfortunately most people aren’t like you - and if it somehow wound up in the hands of an unethical or ignorant reseller one day, they would be able to say like “serial is valid” - and they’ll turn all the inches they can into miles ;( Having your jeweller scrub the Cartier ID will avoid any future confusion when you hand it down.

Last edited:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Curiosity question - what was there before the diamonds? Was it more of those screw thingies? If so - did you keep them? I understand the bangle normally comes with a screwdriver, so I'm assuming the screws can be both removed and reinserted. (I could be wrong on this.)

I understand you want to pass it down to family members who will almost certainly not understand that it's been switched up outside of its Cartier lineage. To that end, if you removed the screws, and if they can be re-added (and I don't own any Cartier so have no idea how this works or if this is possible), make sure the screws also get passed down to whoever gets the bangle so they can be re-added if that's what they decide they want to do. At that point, I don't see any reason why it couldn't be sold as authentic, so to that end, I'd leave the serial number in. In fact, since a Cartier piece with no diamonds, in tact, would almost certainly be worth much more than a Cartier piece with diamonds that had been added later by someone else, but no serial number, I definitely wouldn't be removing that number. I would also argue whether the serial number needed to be removed at all. If I buy a Mercedes and switch out the seats, do I need to say it isn't a Mercedes or can I say it's a Mercedes but that the seats were switched out by me and as such is no longer eligible for Mercedes insurance, trade-in, maintenance or valuation. The bangle was made by Cartier and I think that reference to where it came from is valid, even if it's no longer a piece that is fully Cartier or something Cartier offered. It would have to be re-sold honestly - but I wouldn't be removing what could become a fascinating detail of its provenance.

But more to the point, I'd be keeping the screws and passing them along to whoever gets the bangle, explaining the situation, and suggesting they reassemble it before they sold it. And all jewelry gets sold, melted down, or junked in the end. So it's an eventuality for which you need to allow.

But hopefully that's many, many years off, and in the meantime I hope you enjoy your newly sparkly bangle.

PS. Did you consider leaving it as it was and just adding a tennis bracelet? Best of both worlds?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To that end, if you removed the screws, and if they can be re-added (and I don't own any Cartier so have no idea how this works or if this is possible), make sure the screws also get passed down to whoever gets the bangle so they can be re-added if that's what they decide they want to do. At that point, I don't see any reason why it couldn't be sold as authentic, so to that end, I'd leave the serial number in. In fact, since a Cartier piece with no diamonds, in tact, would almost certainly be worth much more than a Cartier piece with diamonds that had been added later by someone else, but no serial number, I definitely wouldn't be removing that number.
Once a piece has been worked on by a jeweller not authorized by the brand, it is - according to that brand - no longer authentic.

Some brands will forgive minimally invasive changes (having a chain shortened by a different jeweller, say). By “forgive”, I mean that you could potentially take that piece back to the brand and have their workshop service it, and once the servicing is complete it declares that current condition has been established authentic.

Cartier will not replace screws that were removed, or remove third party diamonds that were added, or refill third-party holes that were drilled to do so. This is far out of scope of what even a brand VIP could expect.

A serial number on a branded piece is intended to identify the piece as authentic and identify what piece it is. Explicit in those identifications are the presumptions that
(A) In its current condition, the piece is the same design as was originally manufactured, and
(B) In its current condition, the piece is indisputably authentic.
Since both of those tenets have now been violated in this bangle, the serial number no longer corresponds to an authentic piece and never will again.

If by some miracle OP or another owner is able to have Cartier service this piece and re-establish authentic condition in future, then they’ll re-add the serial (or assign a new serial) at that time.

Keeping the serial invites all sorts of problems and confusion down the line. It begs exactly these sorts of questions re. false “authenticity”. But the reality is that this piece, with these modifications, is not one whit more authentic than a random bracelet fully manufactured by a random non-Cartier jeweller with this design. Even more insidious in this case because the alteration makes it look like a different Cartier piece! It wasn’t totally changed and personalized. And you’re right, the formerly authentic piece in its former condition was worth far more than it is now. But OP made her choice and it’s not reversible.

If you put non-trivial non-removable non-OEM parts that are integral to design or functionality into a vehicle, disclosure is required. I’m not a car person so I don’t know where seats rank compared to engine parts, for example, but I’m sure that vehicle would no longer be eligible for any interior service guarantees or warranties that Mercedes might offer. But the comparison is of fundamentally meaningless equivalence because jewellery isn’t transportation and Cartier isn’t Mercedes, and Cartier’s opinion is the only opinion that counts here.

It makes for an interesting story to pass down and the story is no less interesting with now-false authenticity markers removed.

Last edited:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Quick comment about authenticity for the benefit of whoever you pass it down to, or if you decide to sell it.

1. Tell the recipient that you modified the design and tell them to NEVER take it for service at Cartier. You don't want a potentially and highly likely very embarrassing situation where Cartier tries to look up the serial number, see that it was a plain bangle and compare it to the one presented to them, then tell the new owner that it's fake or they cannot work on it because it's been messed with. My money is that they will call it fake unless the person comes with the original receipt, explain that the original buyer made the modification, and then have Cartier tell them that they cannot service the piece because it has been modified by someone other than Cartier. If it were me, this piece, wherever it goes, will come with a huge caveat. The recipient should just wear it, enjoy it, and if it needs service, take it to a personal jeweler.

2. I would advise any new owner NOT try to sell it as an original authentic Cartier love bangle with diamonds. If the new owner tries to de facto authenticate it at Cartier, you risk Cartier figuring out that there is something not kosher about the piece, and the seller will trace it back to the current owner who may be accused of selling inauthentic items. If you sell with full receipt and disclosure of all your modifications, and the buyer decides to buy acknowledging your modifications, then it's on them.

All the branded houses are very careful about their brand. LV won't work on a piece that has been touched by any non-LV entity. I can't imagine Cartier would be any less strict.

Also to add, just like with Rolex for example, for people who buy in the secondary market, and I have done so, I am extremely wary and diligent to make sure that any watch I am considering has all authentic Rolex parts. I have taken a potential purchase to an authorized dealer to have them open up the Rolex, examine the movement and internal parts, to confirm that the whole piece is authentically Rolex. For the watches that have after market parts, it should be fully disclosed by any reputable reseller. It does affect the resale value significantly. I know @princessk you aren't planning to resell which is good. But whoever inherits should just be made aware of the situation surrounding your bangle given that the resale market is so accessible to everyone these days, and you never know what a new owner might do.

Last edited:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To add to what @LLJsmom said - these luxury brands do keep files on consumers, including consumers who (they feel) are resellers, or who (they feel) support the replica business.

Last edited:

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock
Enjoy your bracelet!! I (sadly) don't have the budget for all the pricey designer pieces and all the related experience that entails, but FWIW, I don't think you have to remove the serial number. Some great practical tips from @LLJsmom ! And I hope none of this detracts from your enjoyment of your jewelry <3

princessk

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Wow. So much info.
Just so everyone can rest assured :
1. I never will take to Cartier to service as I know I have altered it. I KNOW THAT.
2. I will never sell as it’s altered and I knew that and came to terms with that BEFORE I added diamonds
3. I like that it’s unique as the Love bracelet is very popular and I wanted to have my own spin on. It
4. As I say with all my Jewellry it makes my heart happy and that’s all that matters.

You know the brand and have experience with the real thing so you’d pick up on the different drilling! Unfortunately most people aren’t like you - and if it somehow wound up in the hands of an unethical or ignorant reseller one day, they would be able to say like “serial is valid” - and they’ll turn all the inches they can into miles ;( Having your jeweller scrub the Cartier ID will avoid any future confusion when you hand it down.

Yours and MiniMinerva’s comments are making me wonder about a few things. I bought my Love bracelet with diamonds directly from Cartier at their boutique in Chicago. It has 6 diamonds, and the drilling doesn’t go all the way through the bracelet. So I would not have questioned this piece’s authenticity because mine has these characteristics straight from Cartier. ?? I guess I’m confused, unless I’m missing something here.

EDIT: Never mind, mine’s a small model with the 6 diamonds. *facepalm!

Last edited:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yours and MiniMinerva’s comments are making me wonder about a few things. I bought my Love bracelet with diamonds directly from Cartier at their boutique in Chicago. It has 6 diamonds, and the drilling doesn’t go all the way through the bracelet. So I would not have questioned this piece’s authenticity because mine has these characteristics straight from Cartier. ?? I guess I’m confused, unless I’m missing something here.

EDIT: Never mind, mine’s a small model with the 6 diamonds. *facepalm!
I don’t own a Love so I honestly don’t know the details of what might differentiate authentic from formerly-authentic-now-no-longer from
manufactured-as-replica.

But in my view - and in Cartier’s, much more importantly - a piece with a Cartier serial number that doesn’t correspond to an authentic Cartier piece is “fake”. However it came to be. OP talks about handing this piece down, and other members have suggested that leaving the serial intact has advantages - my posts here are to clarify that leaving Cartier’s maker/identification marks intact has no upside at all, and several downsides.

But I do understand that my posts here will be largely ignored because that’s not something participants in this thread will care to hear. I’m posting mostly for the benefit of lurkers who might have the same idea. Lurkers, don’t do this!! Sell the authentic Cartier and buy an inspired-by and pocket the extra cash!!

princessk

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I don’t own a Love so I honestly don’t know the details of what might differentiate authentic from formerly-authentic-now-no-longer from
manufactured-as-replica.

But in my view - and in Cartier’s, much more importantly - a piece with a Cartier serial number that doesn’t correspond to an authentic Cartier piece is “fake”. However it came to be. OP talks about handing this piece down, and other members have suggested that leaving the serial intact has advantages - my posts here are to clarify that leaving Cartier’s maker/identification marks intact has no upside at all, and several downsides.

But I do understand that my posts here will be largely ignored because that’s not something participants in this thread will care to hear. I’m posting mostly for the benefit of lurkers who might have the same idea. Lurkers, don’t do this!! Sell the authentic Cartier and buy an inspired-by and pocket the extra cash!!

You are not being ignored at all. Sorry you feel that way. I have thoroughly understood and respected everything you’ve mentioned. Thank you for your input. Gives me lots to think about.

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock
The assertion that "leaving Cartier's marker/identification marks intact has no upside at all" is completely subjective.

My understanding is that the OP wishes to keep the piece exactly as she received it, with the exception of the diamonds she added. That's her prerogative and her preference is enough to constitute an "upside."

If she were to scrub the serial number, that could be viewed as just as "inaccurate" as leaving the serial number; she would be acting like she did in fact "buy an inspired-by" piece, instead of an authentic bangle that she then chose to modify.

No Rolex owner with an aftermarket dial would scrub the serial number off their watch because they performed an "unauthorized" modification to their own property.

I'll bow out of this thread now; the OP has been very gracious about all the extra commentary on a SMTB thread.

rainbowstarry

Rough_Rock
Thumbs up @SandyK

The assertion that "leaving Cartier's marker/identification marks intact has no upside at all" is completely subjective.

My understanding is that the OP wishes to keep the piece exactly as she received it, with the exception of the diamonds she added. That's her prerogative and her preference is enough to constitute an "upside."

If she were to scrub the serial number, that could be viewed as just as "inaccurate" as leaving the serial number; she would be acting like she did in fact "buy an inspired-by" piece, instead of an authentic bangle that she then chose to modify.

No Rolex owner with an aftermarket dial would scrub the serial number off their watch because they performed an "unauthorized" modification to their own property.

I'll bow out of this thread now; the OP has been very gracious about all the extra commentary on a SMTB thread.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP has been very gracious. The thread title is tongue in cheek enough to indicate that disagreement was expected; unsurprisingly, there’s some here.

I would advise those who have voiced objection to my posts to avoid raising those objections as presented here with the brands involved… In the interests of not thoroughly embarrassing themselves. But to each her own; I’m also bowing out of this thread now.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results