shape
carat
color
clarity

Cartier Diamond Ring Inquiry

tfc_diamondlvr

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Does Cartier not have something similar to Tiffany's in that they laser inscribe their diamonds etc and there's a particular number affixed to that ring only? Perhaps that might help you as well to authenticate things?
There's no way you could contact the original owner to have them get the paperwork for you?
I hope you resolve your issue to your liking!

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
No, they don't. It may be worth noting that this is a fairly recent service from Tiffany as well. They've been in business a long time and nearly everything they've ever made is still out there, somewhere. Under the right circumstances Cartier can use the serial number in the ring to look in their records for the specs of what was sold and then compare that with something physically in front of them to authenticate pieces. Whether they WILL do this is a different question. At the least it's expensive, and often they simply refuse.

tfc_diamondlvr

Shiny_Rock
Premium
No, they don't. It may be worth noting that this is a fairly recent service from Tiffany as well. They've been in business a long time and nearly everything they've ever made is still out there, somewhere. Under the right circumstances Cartier can use the serial number in the ring to look in their records for the specs of what was sold and then compare that with something physically in front of them to authenticate pieces. Whether they WILL do this is a different question. At the least it's expensive, and often they simply refuse.

Thanks very much for that response!
I had no idea that this type of 'tracking' was a relatively new thing.
I just assumed because everything is computerized they can look up serial numbers quickly. I guess that's not actually the case :)

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Computers are relatively new. :) Lasers even more so. Cartier has been in business since 1847. Laser inscribed diamonds have been common for 15 years or so, but they're still not even on all the new stones, much less estate pieces like we're talking about here.

lars888

Rough_Rock
I'd rather keep the ring then sell it for 2k. I'm going to look into getting it polished at a Cartier store..

Thanks @denverappraiser that was very insightful

What do you recommend I do then if trying to sell?

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'd rather keep the ring then sell it for 2k. I'm going to look into getting it polished at a Cartier store..
Then keep it.

I don't think it's correct that having Cartier polish it will result in the document you want to 'prove' provenance to a potential buyer but I'm quite confident they can pretty it up for your.

Last edited:

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
What do you recommend I do then if trying to sell?

Given your response to the freely given advice above, I’m not inclined to tell you much for free beyond what I already have. You hired an expert, ask them. I only got into this as much as I did as a favor to others who may be reading this. Maybe someone else will be inclined to chime in with marketing advice. Best of luck with it.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, all Cartier ring serial numbers are unique and they will know instantly whether the number matches what is in front of them. I read online that you can get an authencation done but it costs $1,000 and can take months. If Cartier will accept it for a clean and polish you can be confident that it is a Cartier ring but obviously that’s not the same as a Cartier certificate.
Looking again at the inside of your ring, the doubling up of the “750” and then “AU750” is not what any other Cartier rings have that I could find on google search. And those second gold content hallmarks and the diamond weight are not impressed in a straight line or in the same font or engraving style as the other Cartier hallmarks. That seems unusual to me. Perhaps the ring was re sized elsewhere (not by Cartier) and the jeweler re impressed the hallmarks that got damaged due to re sizing?

lars888

Rough_Rock
Im not sure but I got a direct offer of between 1,500-2,300 from IdonowIdont. Again I don't know exactly where or when the ring was purchased. I do know that my aunt was very wealthy and she would never wear fake jewelry.

Not sure if I should take this offer. I have no use for the ring, and having it authenticated and what not just seems like a huge hassle. I can still go with the polishing route but not sure if its even worth my time.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why not try a reputable consigned like Erica at love affair diamonds or grace of jewels by Grace. I think good old gold does them too. Unless you're desperate for cash.

lars888

Rough_Rock
@Ringo Could you give me the info where to contact? I will look into that

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
I would expect you are going to get closer to the $1500 mark from IDo. I also listed with them and they gave me a $2k range. I can't imagine they would pay the high end. I got several offers on my ring but I believe 100% of them are dealers because they were all so similar in the amount they offered.

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
I meant $2k between highest and lowest price.

Allisonfaye

Brilliant_Rock
Another option is Cirqe. They will give you a check on the spot. Not sure where you are located. They have locations in the big cities....Chicago, NY, LA.

alamana

Shiny_Rock
Now @alamana if you still aren't remotely convinced this ring is Cartier are you saying my aunts diamond ring then had Cartier engraved inside on the band with serial number included for fun? My aunt would never wear fake jewelry

Still not convinced. That engraving doesn't look right to me -- it looks sloppy. Which is characteristic of a fake. You bring up the serial number ... why not just contact Cartier with the serial number and get paperwork if you are so convinced the ring is a Cartier?

As others have pointed out -- you need to understand that we are trying to give you the perspective of potential buyers. If I were looking for Cartier jewelry, I would not purchase that ring. Not absent some authentication or provenance beyond the "Cartier" engraved inside. I'll add here that if I were looking for Cartier, I probably would not buy it anyway given the J color -- I'm surprised that Cartier would sell a ring with a J diamond, but I'm not an expert on Cartier. (I do see that all of the Cartier diamond rings with box/papers that I looked at on eBay have center diamonds that are D/E/F/G, with most of them being G color ... nothing in the I or J range).

Last edited:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

From my last inquiry, Cartier does not sell J colored diamonds. Perhaps in past?

cheers--Sharon

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results