shape
carat
color
clarity

Carre Diamond Eternity Band Question

Fabtwinsmom

Brilliant_Rock
I’m new to buying antique jewelry. I’ve been searching for an Art Deco carre cut diamond eternity band in a channel setting for a few weeks and would really appreciate some input. I’m thinking of using it in a stack so this would be my foundation piece. I’m open to 2.5 mm to 4 mm band width.

- Should I get half eternity or full eternity? I don’t want to baby my ring. For those PSers with any full eternity band in a channel setting, do you feel that it’s delicate or okay for day-to-day wear. I have an oval eternity band but due to the setting where there’s no prong at the top and bottom edge, it’s quite delicate so I don’t wear it all the time for fear of chipping a stone. I figure the channel setting would offer more protection to the stones?
- Should I pay more for a brand name, for example, Tiffany, Oscar Heyman, etc.? I’m assuming the branded one would have good quality diamonds and more evenly matched; therefore, warranting the premium.
- Would the diamonds in a 2.5 mm band width be so small that one can’t really make out the carre cut? Should I look for 3 mm or wider?
- Should I have one made? The price for the same carat weight band from the same brand seems to vary by $ thousands. Is the antique one more valuable than newly made?

I’m currently considering a 2.5 mm half eternity and not sure if I should wait for a full eternity and/or wider bandwidth being that I’ve not seen one/try one on in person.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Have you checked out @Leslielsc on Instagram? She often has antique/vintage-style bands with the specs you're looking for.

Personally, I prefer at least 3mm. Below is a pic of a 2.25ish sapphire band vs a 3mm band. I feel like the 0.5mm in size makes a noticeable difference in how well I could appreciate the color and cut of the stones. 831134

When I bought my sapphire band, Leslie also had a 4mm for sale. I wanted a band for stacking so I went with the 3mm. But even now, I'm kinda kicking myself for now going with the 4mm. It looked soooo chunkalicious.

In regards to brand names, I generally avoid em because: 1) I'm cheap, and 2) I prefer to get more bang for my buck. But my understanding of the brands you listed is that they may not use super ideal stones or anything, but their pieces should at least perform decently.

And lastly, I'm always debating between half-eternity vs full-eternity. I'm super hard on my jewelry. I cringe whenever I hear a crack or a crunch. On the other hand, I looove the look of an uninterrupted circle of bling. I guess if it really came down to it, I'd rather be practical and get a half-eternity (and save some money) for most pieces. But splurge on 1-2 really special/fancy pieces and go full-eternity.

Fabtwinsmom

Brilliant_Rock
Have you checked out @Leslielsc on Instagram? She often has antique/vintage-style bands with the specs you're looking for.

Personally, I prefer at least 3mm. Below is a pic of a 2.25ish sapphire band vs a 3mm band. I feel like the 0.5mm in size makes a noticeable difference in how well I could appreciate the color and cut of the stones. 20210221_103257.jpg

When I bought my sapphire band, Leslie also had a 4mm for sale. I wanted a band for stacking so I went with the 3mm. But even now, I'm kinda kicking myself for now going with the 4mm. It looked soooo chunkalicious.

In regards to brand names, I generally avoid em because: 1) I'm cheap, and 2) I prefer to get more bang for my buck. But my understanding of the brands you listed is that they may not use super ideal stones or anything, but their pieces should at least perform decently.

And lastly, I'm always debating between half-eternity vs full-eternity. I'm super hard on my jewelry. I cringe whenever I hear a crack or a crunch. On the other hand, I looove the look of an uninterrupted circle of bling. I guess if it really came down to it, I'd rather be practical and get a half-eternity (and save some money) for most pieces. But splurge on 1-2 really special/fancy pieces and go full-eternity.

Thanks so much, @AnastasiaBeaverhausen! I have been DM’ing with leslielsc. She doesn’t have anything my size yet. I’m interested in both her carre diamond band and alternate diamond and sapphire band. Both of your sapphire bands are gorgeous! I can see the difference and I think that’s why I wonder if I need at least a 3mm. In the vendor’s pics, they zoomed in so I can see each diamond clearly but I’m afraid the unique care cut won’t show when they’re too small (esp. with my aging eyes or is it SDS? Lol). Since I’m hoping for the carre band to be the anchor piece and I like step cuts, I want the cut to be noticeable.

Since I‘m buying online and can’t see the ring in person, my concern with a non-brand name ring is that I’m not sure of the quality of the diamonds (color, clarity, cut) and workmanship. I’m relying solely on the online photos and the vendor’s reputation. At least with a brand name, I‘m somewhat relying on the reputation and hope (like heck) that the ring is at least well made.

lizzydm26

Shiny_Rock

Personally, I prefer at least 3mm. Below is a pic of a 2.25ish sapphire band vs a 3mm band. I feel like the 0.5mm in size makes a noticeable difference in how well I could appreciate the color and cut of the stones. 20210221_103257.jpg

hah - @AnastasiaBeaverhausen your 1 & 2 are exactly why I prefer used/antique, and also not brand name.

I have a couple full eternities. I haven't lost any stones, but I have cracked some. Taught me that a full eternity is not suitable for my right hand! I am just too hard on my jewelry.

If you want this as an everyday piece opposed to your oval, maybe go with the half unless you know you can be gentle enough.

Fabtwinsmom

Brilliant_Rock
hah - @AnastasiaBeaverhausen your 1 & 2 are exactly why I prefer used/antique, and also not brand name.

I have a couple full eternities. I haven't lost any stones, but I have cracked some. Taught me that a full eternity is not suitable for my right hand! I am just too hard on my jewelry.

If you want this as an everyday piece opposed to your oval, maybe go with the half unless you know you can be gentle enough.

I’m planning to wear it on my left hand but I talk with my hands so they’re always flying all over the place. Lol. I love the look of an eternity ring and like the fact that I don‘t always have to adjust it. I have a 7-stone princess cut band that I wear whenever I travel but always wish it‘s an eternity. Hmm, I guess it’s practical for when I travel because it‘s only a half hoop. How the wants warring with the practical.

lizzydm26

Shiny_Rock
Sounds to me like you are leaning toward full eternity. I'll go ahead and tell you to go for it! Then maybe get the half eternity at some point for when you know you need to be more careful.

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
I am fan of full eternity for channel set bands. With a decent channel you are less likely to bang the stones about. That said most of my eternities are at least vintage and have a lifetime of nicks and love taps.

Diamonds are pretty hardy so I tend to wear those daily without much concern.

Here are a few photos for perspective. I think 3mm is perfect for carre cuts to be noticeable.

For reference all set in platinum: 2mm round eternity vintage
3mm marquis eternity from Leslie
2mm round vintage
3mm carre cut more or less eternity preloved Tacori (which has an eternity too)

20210524_174353.jpg 20210524_174409.jpg

lizzydm26

Shiny_Rock
I am fan of full eternity for channel set bands. With a decent channel you are less likely to bang the stones about. That said most of my eternities are at least vintage and have a lifetime of nicks and love taps.

Here are a few photos for perspective. I think 3mm is perfect for carre cuts to be noticeable.

2mm round vintage

I love your marquis band. Different and so cool!

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
I love your marquis band. Different and so cool!

Thank you! I was on the fence but so glad I got it. It goes with so much and adds texture to my stack. And even though it is 3mm it wears slimmer (yay more bands fit).

Fabtwinsmom

Brilliant_Rock
Sounds to me like you are leaning toward full eternity. I'll go ahead and tell you to go for it! Then maybe get the half eternity at some point for when you know you need to be more careful.

I’m still on a fence. I’d like a full eternity but then I worry that I won’t end up wearing it often because I worry I’ll damage it. But then I worry that if I get a half hoop, I’ll end up regretting not getting a full hoop and then paying more to buy another full hoop. Lol. Decision. Decision.

Fabtwinsmom

Brilliant_Rock

2mm round vintage

Thanks for the pics, @CSpan. I really love all your bands. The 3mm carre seems a perfect size and the marquis is special. You have such nice hand. I doubt I can fit 4 bands on my short finger but love how they look on you.

BTW, does you carre band have milgrain edge? I‘m not sure which one I prefer, smooth vs milgrain, since I’ve never tried a milgrain one in person but it does add details. Right now the hard part is finding band my size. <sigh>

RayRay

Shiny_Rock
@CSpan - you must be my band twin! I also have a 3mm carre cut from Leslie and LOVE it! I also just received a marquise eternity just like yours today! How do you like the marquise diamonds in different light settings? I think I need to take it outside tomorrow to view it under trees 5884D7C3-CF11-446E-A105-44F2236097FF.jpeg

RayRay

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the pics, @CSpan. I really love all your bands. The 3mm carre seems a perfect size and the marquis is special. You have such nice hand. I doubt I can fit 4 bands on my short finger but love how they look on you.

BTW, does you carre band have milgrain edge? I‘m not sure which one I prefer, smooth vs milgrain, since I’ve never tried a milgrain one in person but it does add details. Right now the hard part is finding band my size. <sigh>

@Fabfashion - I think the milgrain comes down to preference. I love milgrain and engraving so most of my bands have it. The carre cut I have from Leslie has both, but she may be able to source one for you without. If you can be patient;-), I’m confident she’ll find what you’re looking for.

Fabtwinsmom

Brilliant_Rock
@Fabfashion - I think the milgrain comes down to preference. I love milgrain and engraving so most of my bands have it. The carre cut I have from Leslie has both, but she may be able to source one for you without. If you can be patient;-), I’m confident she’ll find what you’re looking for.

Thanks, @RayRay. She’s keeping an eye out. I should mention to her that I’m open to both with and without milgrain. I think when the vendor’s pic is zoomed in, the milgrain seems so much more obvious. I like how it looks on yours. Please share pic of your new stack with the marquis band. Is it from Leslie as well?

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, @RayRay. She’s keeping an eye out. I should mention to her that I’m open to both with and without milgrain. I think when the vendor’s pic is zoomed in, the milgrain seems so much more obvious. I like how it looks on yours. Please share pic of your new stack with the marquis band. Is it from Leslie as well?

@RayRay love that stack! I am really happy with the marquis. Totally different flash but it works beautifully with my single cut bands. It is more architectural than my other bands and I love the side engraving

@Fabfashion mine does have milgrain but it is super fine. Which I expect for a Tacori. The marquis also has milgrain. I am not sure i have preference as my colored stone eternities are smooth.

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
I have a Harry Winston channel set full eternity band with princess cuts in platinum. It's not very big, a little over 2.5 ct total, but super sparkly.
I love it so much!
However, the sides of the band are scratched up from wearing it with my e-ring. So just to be aware.
I do feel the channel setting helps protect the diamonds though.
Here are the 2 rings together

IMG-20200912-WA0003~2.jpg

Fabtwinsmom

Brilliant_Rock
@RayRay love that stack! I am really happy with the marquis. Totally different flash but it works beautifully with my single cut bands. It is more architectural than my other bands and I love the side engraving

@Fabfashion mine does have milgrain but it is super fine. Which I expect for a Tacori. The marquis also has milgrain. I am not sure i have preference as my colored stone eternities are smooth.

I checked Tacori website and they don’t seem to have the channel carre diamond band anymore so I’ll have to keep an eye out for one in the pre-owned market. I really like your marquis band. Leslie has them in colored gemstones as well and they’re so tempting. I’m going to wait until after I get a carre band first before building the stack though.

Also, waiting for my ring size to come along is going to kill me. I’m tempted to ask DK if he can make one but will try patience and deep breathing exercise first.

Fabtwinsmom

Brilliant_Rock
I have a Harry Winston channel set full eternity band with princess cuts in platinum. It's not very big, a little over 2.5 ct total, but super sparkly.
I love it so much!
However, the sides of the band are scratched up from wearing it with my e-ring. So just to be aware.
I do feel the channel setting helps protect the diamonds though.
Here are the 2 rings together

IMG-20200912-WA0003~2.jpg

@Polabowla, your wedding set is gorgeous! I love heart shaped diamonds. How many mm wide is your princess band? I’m hoping to stack the carre band with other thin bands with mostly channel and bezel setting to avoid scratching. However, I’m also hoping to pair it with my late mom‘s solitaire ring which has a very low basket setting that I think will scratch most rings (I posted a question about pairing that ring on another thread). I’m hoping that having a channel setting will help reduce scratching as compared to a diamond band in pave or prong setting.

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
@Polabowla, your wedding set is gorgeous! I love heart shaped diamonds. How many mm wide is your princess band? I’m hoping to stack the carre band with other thin bands with mostly channel and bezel setting to avoid scratching. However, I’m also hoping to pair it with my late mom‘s solitaire ring which has a very low basket setting that I think will scratch most rings (I posted a question about pairing that ring on another thread). I’m hoping that having a channel setting will help reduce scratching as compared to a diamond band in pave or prong setting.

Thank you so much!
I checked my paperwork & it only lists ct weight not mm unfortunately.
I love it with my heart ring & the scratches are not a huge deal to me.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Just saw this one. Dont like that they sell a tiffany bag despite the ring not being Tiffany's, but the ring itself looks good!

Fabtwinsmom

Brilliant_Rock

Just saw this one. Dont like that they sell a tiffany bag despite the ring not being Tiffany's, but the ring itself looks good!

Thanks, @lovedogs! I saw that one too—I think I have all the carre bands available anywhere in the world bookmarked. :D I’ve checked with the vendor but she said some of the diamonds are carre and some are baguettes and I think it’ll bug me after a while.

There are some other vendors that offer a full hoop (new) for low price which seems rather suspecting to me. One vendor, sunjewelry.com, can make one in the $mid-teens. I only saw a few mentions of this vendor on the forum but it was from 15+ years ago so I don’t want to chance it. A couple of other eBay vendors mentioned their diamonds are DIA certified which when I looked up seems to be not quite on par with well-established labs like GIA so that’s out too.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, @lovedogs! I saw that one too—I think I have all the carre bands available anywhere in the world bookmarked. :D I’ve checked with the vendor but she said some of the diamonds are carre and some are baguettes and I think it’ll bug me after a while.

There are some other vendors that offer a full hoop (new) for low price which seems rather suspecting to me. One vendor, sunjewelry.com, can make one in the $mid-teens. I only saw a few mentions of this vendor on the forum but it was from 15+ years ago so I don’t want to chance it. A couple of other eBay vendors mentioned their diamonds are DIA certified which when I looked up seems to be not quite on par with well-established labs like GIA so that’s out too.

TBH I wouldnt require a gia certification for stones that are relatively small (for an eternity or half eternity) as long as the vendor was well regarded. Definitely wouldn't trust random ebay sellers w.o lots of reviews, but I would probably buy a carre band w.o that paperwork if the vendor was someone well trusted (leslie from IG, for example).

Fabtwinsmom

Brilliant_Rock
TBH I wouldnt require a gia certification for stones that are relatively small (for an eternity or half eternity) as long as the vendor was well regarded. Definitely wouldn't trust random ebay sellers w.o lots of reviews, but I would probably buy a carre band w.o that paperwork if the vendor was someone well trusted (leslie from IG, for example).
That makes sense. EBay vendors are jacobkjewelry and kingofjewelry. I have to read up on them further. Jacobk has 150 feedback and Kingofjewelry 4700+ feedback.

I just found on the internet that a local antique dealer (B&M) has a Tiffany one in my size but with a hefty premium plus 13% sales tax. We’re currently in a lockdown until mid-June so if it’s still available when we reopen, I may go try it on in person. In the meantime, I’ll keep hunting on the Net. I’m leaning towards a full eternity.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What size ring do you wear?

I have this one favorited on etsy when I was considering a carre/asscher cut band.

Mark Broumand is very highly regarded.

And this, though they are calling it asscher vs carre.

Fabtwinsmom

Brilliant_Rock
What size ring do you wear?

I have this one favorited on etsy when I was considering a carre/asscher cut band.

Mark Broumand is very highly regarded.

And this, though they are calling it asscher vs carre.

Thanks so much for the links. I need size 7. Can wear 6.75 if I wear it at the bottom of the stack. 7.25 will be a little loose but can probably add metal balls or something inside to make it fit. So far I’ve seen 5’s, 6’s or as big as 8’s but nothing in a 6.75 or 7 yet. I wonder how long people take to find their band. It should be a research study of its own.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks so much for the links. I need size 7. Can wear 6.75 if I wear it at the bottom of the stack. 7.25 will be a little loose but can probably add metal balls or something inside to make it fit. So far I’ve seen 5’s, 6’s or as big as 8’s but nothing in a 6.75 or 7 yet. I wonder how long people take to find their band. It should be a research study of its own.

Size twins! I wear between a 6.5 and 7 depending on how thick the band is. Understand the struggle!

RayRay

Shiny_Rock

@Fabfashion - hi! Here’s the stack with the marquise band. It’s also from Leslie. BFBC6D3E-F67C-4969-AD69-61E3AC79C992.jpeg

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love carre cuts! I might try searching for the terms asscher and square emerald cut as well. The hunt can take awhile. When I was looking I wouldn’t see any for a few months and then a few would pop up around the same time. It will happen for you :).
Can’t remember the mm of this one, but I can’ measure if you are interested. Keep in mind that they are often deeper than rounds so as you go up in size the height of the band off the finger may bother you.
22ABC16E-0E43-4D9F-A6A9-F2FACD51C4A6.jpeg

Fabtwinsmom

Brilliant_Rock
@Fabfashion - hi! Here’s the stack with the marquise band. It’s also from Leslie. BFBC6D3E-F67C-4969-AD69-61E3AC79C992.jpeg

That’s gorgeous, @RayRay! I really like the marquis band. I was browsing Leslie’s posts last night and she has them in sapphire, ruby and emerald too. I’m sorely tempted but trying to stick to finding a carre band first. How wide is your marquis band and it’s a full hoop?

Fabtwinsmom

Brilliant_Rock
Love carre cuts! I might try searching for the terms asscher and square emerald cut as well. The hunt can take awhile. When I was looking I wouldn’t see any for a few months and then a few would pop up around the same time. It will happen for you :).
Can’t remember the mm of this one, but I can’ measure if you are interested. Keep in mind that they are often deeper than rounds so as you go up in size the height of the band off the finger may bother you.
22ABC16E-0E43-4D9F-A6A9-F2FACD51C4A6.jpeg

@kgizo, that’s a pretty combination! My mom’s ring is similar to yours and has a knife edged shank. I tried pairing it with diamond bands I already have but I think a channel setting will suit it best. If you don’t mind, I’d like to know the width of your carre band. My mom’s shank is super thin so I think any wide band like 4mm will totally overwhelms it and also distracts from the solitaire. At the same time, if it’s too thin I’m afraid I won’t be able to see the pretty step cut anymore.

I do search for asscher, step cut and square cut bands as well. I did see some nice asscher bands but they have little gap at the corners when in a channel setting. The bezel ones are pretty but not quite what I’m looking for. Some are advertised as asscher but I think they’re carre as I didn’t see any cut corners. So far none in my size though.

I didn’t realize carre diamonds are deeper. Thanks for that tip. Is that why my princess band sits higher? I just thought whoever set it tried to make it look bigger than it is. Lol. How high is yours?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results