shape
carat
color
clarity

Cape diamonds - Brian Gavin

adele_h

Shiny_Rock
Hi all,

I opened my email this morning to find that Brian Gavin have started cutting cape diamonds, and I'm curious to hear what people think.. Given that these stones seem to be cut for ideal light return / optics (unlike fancy coloured diamonds, which to my understanding seem to be cut with colour saturation / retention in mind), how obvious is the tint likely to be in these stones, face up and side on? Would one try to play up the colour by setting it in yellow gold with a white diamond halo / sidestones? The price is very appealing..

Also, what effect would blue fluorescence likely have on the visual appearance of these stones? I note that there are some cape diamonds in the BGD blue range also..

Really keen to hear what everyone thinks!

Adele

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is very interesting. I think most people will still gravitate toward the higher colours, but for someone who carat is the biggest C, I think it's a great idea.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got the email, but it wouldn't open. Sounds cool!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I looked at them...they are very pretty. I think the S color was my favorite. I think it would look lovely with a white halo.

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I like them too. I wish though they didn't have the fluoro cause I would love for them to be yellower. LOL I love the S as well. Very soft, reminds me of old linen. I know..crazy comparison but thats the 1st thing I thought of, my grandmothers doilies. :D

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
This is an interesting idea from Brian Gavin. On their website the diamonds look pretty tinted from the side to me, but it would probably be less noticeable when they are set. It does provide options for well cut stones at reasonable prices for those who want size on a budget.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it is a mistake because I personally do not find lower colors (below J) to be very attractive in modern rounds, and I wouldn't recommend them for an e-ring. I think he would have a lot of success if he had cut them into antique shape stones, though. I am disappointed they didn't do that instead.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does "cape" means brown?

adele_h

Shiny_Rock
I've taken this directly from the BGD website

No doubt you realize by now that originally the term "Cape Diamond" referred to diamonds that originated from the British Cape Colony in South Africa. Diamonds from this region tended to be faint to light yellow in color,what is presently known as K-color to Z-color. With the passage of time, all diamonds in the faint yellow to yellow spectrum were referred to as Cape Diamonds, regardless of where they originated from.

DS, I agree with you on the old cut front.. I was eyeing a gorgeous S-T OEC (I think) on the JbG for some time, but I'm not sure how I feel about the lower MRB.. The only other person I can think of that does more tinted precision cut MRBs is Wink. I suppose if I were to ever go down this path, I would want something as close to Z as possible - clearly yellow, rather than something in between..

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
adele_h|1449277425|3957663 said:
I've taken this directly from the BGD website

No doubt you realize by now that originally the term "Cape Diamond" referred to diamonds that originated from the British Cape Colony in South Africa. Diamonds from this region tended to be faint to light yellow in color,what is presently known as K-color to Z-color. With the passage of time, all diamonds in the faint yellow to yellow spectrum were referred to as Cape Diamonds, regardless of where they originated from.

DS, I agree with you on the old cut front.. I was eyeing a gorgeous S-T OEC (I think) on the JbG for some time, but I'm not sure how I feel about the lower MRB.. The only other person I can think of that does more tinted precision cut MRBs is Wink. I suppose if I were to ever go down this path, I would want something as close to Z as possible - clearly yellow, rather than something in between..

Yes! Me, too! I would love an antique cushion in W-X or Y-Z! I'd make the inner bezel in yellow gold to enhance the yellow and set it in a platinum setting with white diamond halo! See, I have it all planned! lol! Just haven't come across the stone!

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ha! I have a diamond that was recut by Brian Gavin. It was graded M by a gemologist before the recut. It looks paler now, and it lost a little mass. But I never had it certed. I think the L/M color looks fine in a modern hearts&arrows-ish cut. Someplace on here, I think I posted a better shot of the arrows. Pale yellow is very pretty, but not the range to consider for someone who wants a colorless look.
_34942_0.jpg _642.png m_color3.jpg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow. Wonderful idea.
I checked them out!
How cool!!!

Kudos to Mr. Gavin! :appl:

I never thought you could honk THAT loud, THAT beautifully, THAT cheaply!

Plus, when the color exceeds a certain grade (perhaps J-ish) it's like you are not even trying to wear a colorless diamond, so the body color seems suddenly attractive.
Sure, it's all in the head ... but still.

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That's how I feel. I'm not wild about J and K. They look off white / dingy / dirty white to me, neither white nor pale yellow. But I love L and M in modern RB with superb optics. Lovely pale yellow, provided there isn't some other body tint interfering. I've seen large, like 3-4 ct, RB diamonds on the N / O color range. Those and onward into the fancy yellows, I'm just not into. I don't want a fancy yellow diamond at all.

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1449274576|3957643 said:
Does "cape" means brown?

Old color grading terminology. I looked it up when I bought my M color diamond back in 2004 or 2005.

IDC* , GIA**, Old terminology
Exceptional white +, D, Jager
Exceptional white, E , River
Rare white +, F, River
Rare white, G , Top Wesselton
White, H, Wesselton
Slightly tinted white, I - J, Top Silver
Tinted white, K - L, Top Cape
Tinted color, M - Z, Cape - to yellow

* International Diamond Council, **Gemological Institute of America
from http://www.langerman-diamonds.com/encyclopedia/2-12/color-grading-of-cape-and-equivalent-colors.html
(Can't make the text space and tab correctly & don't want to retype it. Used commas as separators.)

Shuane

Rough_Rock
Dancing Fire|1449274576|3957643 said:
Does "cape" means brown?

For the most part, when referencing diamonds - "Cape" is synonymous with yellow.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not having any success finding this on the site -- would someone be kind enough to post a link?

(Because... yanno... I need more diamonds -- NOT!)

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1449514851|3958627 said:
Dee*Jay|1449513657|3958620 said:
I'm not having any success finding this on the site -- would someone be kind enough to post a link?

(Because... yanno... I need more diamonds -- NOT!)

Explanation:

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/the-cape-series/

His list of capes:

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/signature-diamonds/cape

Now you owe me a beer. ;-)

Deal!

And OH MY... I might be a little bit in love with one of these... :love:

ChristineRose

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think they're gorgeous.

They're a very small percentage of the inventory; if they don't sell at a reasonable rate they'll probably go away. But it's nice to see someone willing to go the extra mile and try something new.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm... :think:

I own two low-colored diamonds (in the M-N and lower range). But each of them has a faint bronze/brown - even gray tint a opposed to yellow, and after looking at the"cape" series diamonds, I think that's my preference. This is my favorite of the "Cape" diamonds - to my eye, the body tint tends more towards brown than yellow:http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/d.../2.222-o-vs1-round-diamond-ags-c-104081952003

That said, BGD seems to be offering people a way to buy larger diamonds at a lower cost - and he's clearly identifying that tradeoff is more body tint - so kudos to him. The way I look at it, those of us who are on PS have known for awhile now that old cuts are a good way to get more diamond for your dollar, and we became accustomed to (and even learned to embrace) lower colors as part of that package. BGD is skipping a step or two in that progression and offering lower color MRBs at old cut prices.

Some time ago there was a PS'er who had a small culet ground into a MRB to mimic an OEC... I think she did it at Single Stone's suggestion. I wonder what would happen if BGD would offer to add culets to these Cape series stones. Returnability would be an issue, of course, since it would be a custom cut stone at that point. But might someone who's on the hunt for an OEC with good optics be enticed by such a stone? Might it become an alternative to the pricier August Vintage line?

Don't mind me, I'm just thinking out loud here.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
diamondseeker2006|1449273789|3957638 said:
I think it is a mistake because I personally do not find lower colors (below J) to be very attractive in modern rounds, and I wouldn't recommend them for an e-ring. I think he would have a lot of success if he had cut them into antique shape stones, though. I am disappointed they didn't do that instead.

I am a HUGE fan of the lower colors in a precision cut diamond. They have a rich buttery warmth that soothes the soul as well as making the eyes happy. Of course, they are not for everyone, but for those who like them, the reward is a stunning look at a much lower price.

Wink, who is an equal opportunity sparkly diamond lover.

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Todd Gray gave a review over at NiceIce.

Rather than (continue to) look at these as an "inferior color," or just a big low-cost diamond, people should look at them as an "alternate color." The first time I saw a Cape colored diamond, it was an antique diamond and I found the color too shocking and weird. I bought an H color because I wanted a white diamond. Not long after, I ran into the M diamond at a secondhand jewelry store. It had good optics and was inexpensive and almost 7mm diameter, so I bought it. In over 10 years of ownership, its pale yellow tint has been nothing but pleasing to me. I bought some O/P range sim stones from Wink, years ago, and I have worn those a good bit without tiring of their strong er yellow. I actually like the contrast between pale yellow center and bright white metal and sidestones now, in the right style of mounting. (I probably would not choose to mount an N/O/P in a Harry Winston type solitaire with bright white baguettes, for example. :lol: :lol: ) I no longer see the M and lower range as shocking or inferior. They are yellow, not colorless.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm a colored stone girl and these diamonds made me really take notice. I love the color. I would pair them with F-G colored melee or, colored stone melee (green, blue, and pink especially) I'd love to see one of these in person!

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
I'm chatting with Emily about these right now.... :Up_to_something: :Up_to_something: :Up_to_something: :naughty:

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am waiting impartially to see the first (honking big) one set in rose gold. It's always something I've been curious about. :bigsmile:

dontaskme

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1449273789|3957638 said:

this! ^^ I love cape coloured OECs... drool.

adele_h

Shiny_Rock
I would love to see a couple of them in a tray with different lighting, against skin tones, dropped in different colour gold settings.. Along the lines of the GOG educational videos to learn a little more about them :) if anyone gets one, please post it here!

lioness

Brilliant_Rock
Andelain|1449699147|3959515 said:
I'm chatting with Emily about these right now.... :Up_to_something: :Up_to_something: :Up_to_something: :naughty:

Enabling you over here!!!!

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
lioness|1449717918|3959668 said:

They're getting more in. I'm holding out for smaller and farther down the alphabet.

adele_h

Shiny_Rock
Andelain|1449724256|3959688 said:
lioness|1449717918|3959668 said:

They're getting more in. I'm holding out for smaller and farther down the alphabet.

Fabulous news! Can't wait to see what they add.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results