shape
carat
color
clarity

Can you tell real from fake?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
ya, I like moissanite because it is SiC, second hardest substance, not because it is a simulant.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/5/2010 6:03:24 PM
Author: Amethyste
About moissanites.... Isn''t the whole concept by C&C that is was material from a meteorite? I mean, humans are replicating it as a simulant... To me, it''s not really a ''fake'' but what is fake about it is that commercial opportunities are seeing them as the perfect plan to simulate it as a diamond, for a lesser cost, like CZ or whatever... And trying to fool the people to believe that it is ''like'' a diamond with the hardness to be almost the same as a diamond...

I appreciate moissanite for what it is ---> A moissanite. People are easily ''confused''.
Is the price of Moissanite justifiable? I''m just curious. . .I''ve seen stuff in Macy''s for hundreds of dollars.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, all I know for sure is that my MIL got a bunch of fakies (not CZ, but don''t know what type) and I saw her wearing them and new immediately they were fake. Also when I see people wearing earrings and pendants that are over a ct, usually 2-3, I always assume fake because where I live, you simply do not see that. Ever. I have never actually seen anyone wearing an e-ring larger than mine (1.2ct), so I suppose I have just assumed they are real.

So I guess I use cointext more than the actual stones, though with my MIL, the stones did not look right to me, and she can afford real if she wanted.

I was considering this new stone. Let me know if you think it looks fake
28.gif

(I got it from a shower gel bottle- it''s a key chain) hahahahahaha

So... it looks fake? hm?
27.gif

realorfakehehe.jpg

Todd Gray

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/5/2010 7:02:03 PM
Author: swedish bean
28.gif

So... it looks fake? hm?

27.gif

Wait... Which one is the fake and which one is real? That''s HOT
9.gif

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Todd! Zing!

onvacation

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/5/2010 7:11:20 PM
Author: Todd Gray

28.gif

So... it looks fake? hm?

27.gif

Wait... Which one is the fake and which one is real? That''s HOT
9.gif

Ooh, now there''s the gem that would fool any jeweler!
30.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/5/2010 7:11:20 PM
Author: Todd Gray

28.gif

(I got it from a shower gel bottle- it's a key chain) hahahahahaha

So... it looks fake? hm?

27.gif

Wait... Which one is the fake and which one is real? That's HOT
9.gif
3 stone ring is the fake!!
16.gif

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooh, Swedish Bean, LOVE you new upgrade!
28.gif

I can tell CZ easily because it looks more "solid" to me than a diamond. (That's not the right word, but I can't think of how else to describe it.)

My diamond studs get worn pretty much EVERY day. No matter what else I have on. Even when I go skiing. I can only imagine how many people are sitting around the fireplace apres ski (all worn out in with no make-up on and helmet hair) looking at my studs thinking they are fake becuase what idiot in her right mind would wear real diamonds skiing?* But I just can't help it. That what I pay my insurance premium every month for, right?!

*I perhaps...um...did lose one of my studs last spring cross county skiining... in the dark... after a few cocktails... but this set has better backs--I swear!
9.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/5/2010 9:50:24 PM
Author: Dee*Jay
Ooh, Swedish Bean, LOVE you new upgrade!
28.gif

I can tell CZ easily because it looks more ''solid'' to me than a diamond. (That''s not the right word, but I can''t think of how else to describe it.)

My diamond studs get worn pretty much EVERY day. No matter what else I have on. Even when I go skiing. I can only imagine how many people are sitting around the fireplace apres ski (all worn out in with no make-up on and helmet hair) looking at my studs thinking they are fake becuase what idiot in her right mind would wear real diamonds skiing?* But I just can''t help it. That what I pay my insurance premium every month for, right?!

*I perhaps...um...did lose one of my studs last spring cross county skiining... in the dark... after a few cocktails... but this set has better backs--I swear!
9.gif
grins.gif

JSM

Brilliant_Rock
I wear fakes in my ears because I simply can''t justify the cost for something that will probably fall out at some point! I''ve gotten a few complements, and I respond that they are not diamonds, usually what I hear back is, "but they sparkle" (double refraction will do that!).

I''d much rather save the money I''d spend on diamond earrings and save for a diamond RING!

I can spot a moissanite very easily (especially the low quality stuff at the mall
14.gif
), and cheap CZs are easy. I doubt I could tell a good fake, though. Still, I wouldn''t choose it for myself because of hardness and replacement issues. They seem like they are high maintenance pieces.

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
I am curious as to why people do wear such big sims (and it seems like the cheaper the sim is, the bigger they wear it).
It used to be that you weren''t able to find a CZ ring in the cheapie stores for under 1 ct--now it seems like the standard size is 2 carats. As for CZ earrings, 3 and even 4 ctw are common.
Of course, maybe it just is that one NOTICES the big tacky Czs and is missing the tasteful ones.

Gleam

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/6/2010 11:10:03 PM
Author: Black Jade
I am curious as to why people do wear such big sims (and it seems like the cheaper the sim is, the bigger they wear it).

It used to be that you weren''t able to find a CZ ring in the cheapie stores for under 1 ct--now it seems like the standard size is 2 carats. As for CZ earrings, 3 and even 4 ctw are common.

Of course, maybe it just is that one NOTICES the big tacky Czs and is missing the tasteful ones.

Honestly, that baffles me as well and the only explanation I can think of (and it applies to a lot of my friends who wear CZs) is that they simply don''t know how much diamonds cost, and how... well, I don''t want to say "fake... but how "unlikely" most large sims appear, especially earrings. It doesn''t seem like people pick small, discreet little CZ studs -- they go for the ones that are like two carats each, which would be extraordinarily costly.

Jsmith8

Rough_Rock
I think spotting an obvious claires/walmart/target sim is very easily done but I really doubt that myself or most of the people on her could actually spot a good fake. Most can''t and it''s been proven in news articles and specials on TV. Unless you really test it and loupe it, it''s not easily done.

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/5/2010 6:38:20 PM
Author: MC

About moissanites.... Isn''t the whole concept by C&C that is was material from a meteorite? I mean, humans are replicating it as a simulant... To me, it''s not really a ''fake'' but what is fake about it is that commercial opportunities are seeing them as the perfect plan to simulate it as a diamond, for a lesser cost, like CZ or whatever... And trying to fool the people to believe that it is ''like'' a diamond with the hardness to be almost the same as a diamond...

I appreciate moissanite for what it is ---> A moissanite. People are easily ''confused''.
Is the price of Moissanite justifiable? I''m just curious. . .I''ve seen stuff in Macy''s for hundreds of dollars.

Well, C&C have the patent for until 2012 I think? I don''t exactly remember... But if you are looking for a 2-3CT round moissanite ring, it will be more than hundreds... most likely thousands.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I am curious as to why people do wear such big sims
some people just wear them for what they are: pretty sparky things.
People wear crystal and glass for the same reason.
That is perfectly ok.

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2010 1:44:05 AM
Author: Karl_K

I am curious as to why people do wear such big sims

some people just wear them for what they are: pretty sparky things.

People wear crystal and glass for the same reason.

That is perfectly ok.

It is perfectly fine. But I would never be able to "lie" about it. I can''t lie...

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
Usually the fakes are given away by poor quality or light weight settings. But if the stone was well cut in a quality of setting appropriate for that size stone, I''d likely assume it''s real.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/7/2010 12:26:38 AM

Date: 2/5/2010 6:38:20 PM
Author: MC

Well, C&C have the patent for until 2012 I think? I don''t exactly remember... But if you are looking for a 2-3CT round moissanite ring, it will be more than hundreds... most likely thousands.
Crazy prices! I wouldn''t want a larger diamond so I guess I''ve lucked out that my taste for smaller sizes means I can more likely save up for a diamond rather than have to seek out simulants.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results