shape
carat
color
clarity

Can you tell real from fake?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

PuddinheadMcGee

Rough_Rock
Just curious...I''m a diamond newbie on the hunt for studs (Lesley will be calling me by this afternoon with specs. YIKES!) and I''m constantly noticing people''s ears and earrings now (I had to have my ears repierced for this, because earrings never hang right in my original holes...ears are too flat against my head). Anyway, I was people-watching at the skating rink last night while my kids skated and it occurred to me that I was just assuming the 14 yr old next to me had a simulated diamond in his ear but I was basing that on the fact that he was 14...if a grown woman had had the same stud in her ear, I would''ve assumed it was real.

So, out of curiosity, can anyone tell real diamonds from fake?

Maureen

spoogenet

Rough_Rock
I think this will vary by person.

It would also depend on your definition of fake. If I were to see a CZ from a distance, I wouldn''t be able to tell you if it were a poorly cut diamond or a CZ. Up close (i.e. holding it in my hands) the difference between a CZ and a diamond becomes pretty apparent to me.

Between a real and a simulated diamond, as you mentioned, I doubt I could tell the difference at any point though I''ve never seen a simulated diamond up close that I''ve known to be simulated.

b

clgwli

Brilliant_Rock
Small diamond studs from far away I cannot usually tell. Bigger ones usually look more gray to me from far away and some have a weird blue hint to them in bright lighting indoors. I have a pair of crystals in lever backs for every day wear because I haven''t found solid quality diamond and gold ones yet. I''ve bent far too many real gold ones so the ones I swear are stainless oddly enough. If I could find a setting like these I would switch, but the odd thing is that my friends think that they are real even though they don''t look it to me.

I do have 3 pairs of small diamond studs (all under 1/4 carat) and my DH can''t tell the difference, yet I can up close.

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
hmm.. you know what, I don''t think I can. At least not if i''m looking at something casually. Then again, probably not even if I''m looking at something closely. Sometimes I notice some "diamonds" look hazy or aren''t very clear. I just assume it''s badly included with a very poor cut. But never fake. I sometimes see very bright earrings or rings that are blazing white. Lots of white light but no fire. I''ve always assumed they were real.. but who knows?

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/1/2010 12:04:05 PM
Author: elle_chris
hmm.. you know what, I don''t think I can. At least not if i''m looking at something casually. Then again, probably not even if I''m looking at something closely. Sometimes I notice some ''diamonds'' look hazy or aren''t very clear. I just assume it''s badly included with a very poor cut. But never fake. I sometimes see very bright earrings or rings that are blazing white. Lots of white light but no fire. I''ve always assumed they were real.. but who knows?
Yep, I''ve seen some earrings that look so crappy there is no doubt that they are real. lol Who would buy and wear grey, included CZs?

Generally, I cannot always tell. Sometimes I''ll play around at Nordstrom with their fakey stuff and it seems the bigger the czs are the more they do not look real.

upgrade

Brilliant_Rock
If it''s a really bad fake then I can tell, but a good one? Nope. I think the setting is often a give away for me. A good fake in a good setting would stump me.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Absolutely. CZ, diamond coated CZ, moissanite, you name it. I can tell the difference closely examined.
2.gif

I always have to giggle a little when I see someone post about how their non-diamond "fooled" the jeweler. As a former owner of a jewelry store, I can tell you that it''s not like I was going to point out "hey, nice fake you''re wearing there sweetie"
20.gif
You always compliment the customer no matter what kind of drek they''re wearing. Then if they volunteer it''s not real, you act suprised. You ARE trying to get them to be YOUR customer, and a happy customer is an easier sale.

Sizzle

Brilliant_Rock
I honestly dont think I can tell in the ear. Especially if the natural diamonds are a high color.. I can sometimes spot "warmth" but then again that could be a warm CZ!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
From a distance I always assume that blazing white diamonds are fake.

Up close I can definitely tell, like within a few feet. Usually it is the color that gives it away most easily. They should make fakes in G color because it would be more real. The sparkle isn''t right either.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
Not when people are wearing them.

My Nana has these big gorgeous stud earrings set in 18kt gold, I always thought they were real. Nope. All the rest of her awesome jewelry collection is real, but she thinks earrings are sort of a "waste" of good diamonds b/c noone can tell. Interesting philosophy...

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/1/2010 12:49:53 PM
Author: purrfectpear
Absolutely. CZ, diamond coated CZ, moissanite, you name it. I can tell the difference closely examined.
2.gif

I always have to giggle a little when I see someone post about how their non-diamond 'fooled' the jeweler. As a former owner of a jewelry store, I can tell you that it's not like I was going to point out 'hey, nice fake you're wearing there sweetie'
20.gif
You always compliment the customer no matter what kind of drek they're wearing. Then if they volunteer it's not real, you act suprised. You ARE trying to get them to be YOUR customer, and a happy customer is an easier sale.
PP - When I was in Jared's the other week, the sales person insulted my ACAs! His comments (IMO) were used as a method of supporting why I should buy diamonds from that store instead.
37.gif

PuddinheadMcGee

Rough_Rock
Definitely the frozen spit type of earrings I automatically assume are real. There''s one mom at my childrens'' school who has huge diamond earrings...they''re cut strictly for diameter (they''re almost like discs, they''re so flat) and there''s not a sparkle to be seen from them. Those, I don''t doubt are actually diamonds.

Actually, all the ladies I know who wear studs generally have lowish quality ones, regardless of income. One friend bought his wife a set of 1ctw studs from Kohls last year for $300 and he was so proud of the great deal he got. Those tend to be the quality I see the most. So I wonder if my smallish studs (the ones I''m looking at are just under 1ctw), being BGD ACAs aren''t going to look extremely fake just because they''ll look too bright and shiny to be real. I''ll know they''re real, though, and that''s what really matters (plus if I bought a pair of I2s from overstock they''d fit in really well but I know I''d just hate them).

Maureen

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/1/2010 1:10:32 PM
Author: PuddinheadMcGee
Definitely the frozen spit type of earrings I automatically assume are real. There''s one mom at my childrens'' school who has huge diamond earrings...they''re cut strictly for diameter (they''re almost like discs, they''re so flat) and there''s not a sparkle to be seen from them. Those, I don''t doubt are actually diamonds.

Actually, all the ladies I know who wear studs generally have lowish quality ones, regardless of income. One friend bought his wife a set of 1ctw studs from Kohls last year for $300 and he was so proud of the great deal he got. Those tend to be the quality I see the most. So I wonder if my smallish studs (the ones I''m looking at are just under 1ctw), being BGD ACAs aren''t going to look extremely fake just because they''ll look too bright and shiny to be real. I''ll know they''re real, though, and that''s what really matters (plus if I bought a pair of I2s from overstock they''d fit in really well but I know I''d just hate them).

Maureen
No diamond can look too bright and shiny to be real!
2.gif
If you''re wearing real diamonds, spectatular ones at that, then wear them proudly and don''t worry about what others may think.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/1/2010 1:15:55 PM
Author: MC

Date: 2/1/2010 1:10:32 PM
Author: PuddinheadMcGee

Maureen
No diamond can look too bright and shiny to be real!
2.gif
If you''re wearing real diamonds, spectatular ones at that, then wear them proudly and don''t worry about what others may think.
Yes, I agree.

I guess that is why I assume the blinding white diamonds I see are generally fake, because most people are wearing terribly dirty and poorly cut low color earrings. I actually don''t know anyone who wears lovely diamond jewelry. Except me
4.gif

clgwli

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/1/2010 12:49:53 PM
Author: purrfectpear
2.gif

I always have to giggle a little when I see someone post about how their non-diamond ''fooled'' the jeweler. As a former owner of a jewelry store, I can tell you that it''s not like I was going to point out ''hey, nice fake you''re wearing there sweetie''
20.gif
You always compliment the customer no matter what kind of drek they''re wearing. Then if they volunteer it''s not real, you act suprised. You ARE trying to get them to be YOUR customer, and a happy customer is an easier sale.
Actually this is a totally true story and why I never returned to the store. I had a ring that was damaged. It was white gold but it had a very nice CZ in it. I wanted it fixed since I liked it for a cocktail ring or to wear while traveling since it was inexpensive. He went to test to see if it was a diamond without telling me what he was doing and then after trying three times went to get the 2nd tester in the store because he thought the first had to be broken. The guy really thought it was a real diamond. Then he was all mad when I told him it wasn''t and said if it wasn''t a diamond, they refused to work on the ring. I had no idea why and asked, so if it was sapphire you would? He said of course. I then pointed out that they sold lab created stones so what is the difference. He claimed store policy. I really think he was embarassed that he couldn''t tell a fake.

So I do think it is possible, but they are not the ones I trust nor return to for anything again.

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/1/2010 1:03:39 PM
Author: dreamer_dachsie
They should make fakes in G color because it would be more real. The sparkle isn''t right either.

Actually, one can get handcut cz in a wide range of diamond-equivalent colors (D-F, G-H, K and lower) and in less common cuts (OEC, asscher, etc.) and, while I can''t elaborate on where to find them, I have seen some in person and they are very convincing. I believe that even a trained professional, if confronted with one of these high-end sims, would not be able to tell with certainty without testing and/or louping the stone. They are a different beast altogether than the plasticky stark white common department store sims most of us can spot from a mile away :)

Todd Gray

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/1/2010 11:49:10 AM
Author:PuddinheadMcGee

Yes, but let''s face it, I''m in the trade and have 25 years of practice at it
2.gif

A lot depends on distance; the quality of the simulants; quite often the mountings themselves are a dead giveaway...

My fiance Valerie is quite adept at it, but she''s had the opportunity to play with quite a lot of real and fake stones just by proximity...

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/1/2010 1:34:02 PM
Author: ericad

Date: 2/1/2010 1:03:39 PM
Author: dreamer_dachsie
They should make fakes in G color because it would be more real. The sparkle isn''t right either.

Actually, one can get handcut cz in a wide range of diamond-equivalent colors (D-F, G-H, K and lower) and in less common cuts (OEC, asscher, etc.) and, while I can''t elaborate on where to find them, I have seen some in person and they are very convincing. I believe that even a trained professional, if confronted with one of these high-end sims, would not be able to tell with certainty without testing and/or louping the stone. They are a different beast altogether than the plasticky stark white common department store sims most of us can spot from a mile away :)
Agreed. I''ve seen some that looked incredibly realistic in an Asscher and OEC shape, and I was truly shocked.

That being said, your common, run-of-the-mill CZs are pretty easy to spot. The better fakes I''ve seen I would have never second guessed if they weren''t 3-4 cts.
9.gif

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
Not really, not when someone''s actually wearing them. Earrings, I mean - rings are a little easier, since you can usually get a closer look (without appearing to be a weirdo).

Sometimes I take a guess based on what else a person is wearing, I must admit. That''s probably a bit obnoxious, now I think about it.
9.gif

LilyKat

Brilliant_Rock
Nope. To me, it''s all in the quality of the setting, and the likelihood that the person wearing it would be able to afford it (sorry). But then, I''m not a professional jeweller.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/1/2010 5:23:41 PM
Author: LilyKat
Nope. To me, it's all in the quality of the setting, and the likelihood that the person wearing it would be able to afford it (sorry). But then, I'm not a professional jeweller.
A friend of mine has a new car, gorgeously decorated home - looks like a pottery barn catalog - and designer clothes and has admitted to me her earrings are fake (they are nicely set - as you said, setting can make or break cz stones)! I'd never have guessed that based on her other material goods. I wonder if my friends think my diamonds are fake since my car is older
37.gif

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Cheap settings can be a giveaway, but I''ve known people who set high quality sims into Leon rings (yes, he will set a cubic if that''s what you want) and other high end settings, but have various reasons for not wanting a diamond center stone. To each their own - these pieces, especially with their expensive settings, are very convincing and beautiful in their own right.

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/1/2010 11:49:10 AM
Author:PuddinheadMcGee
Just curious...I''m a diamond newbie on the hunt for studs (Lesley will be calling me by this afternoon with specs. YIKES!) and I''m constantly noticing people''s ears and earrings now (I had to have my ears repierced for this, because earrings never hang right in my original holes...ears are too flat against my head). Anyway, I was people-watching at the skating rink last night while my kids skated and it occurred to me that I was just assuming the 14 yr old next to me had a simulated diamond in his ear but I was basing that on the fact that he was 14...if a grown woman had had the same stud in her ear, I would''ve assumed it was real.

Maureen
I can''t speak about high quality coated CZs but my mother has a pair of 1 carat CZ earrings they were not cheap either, and I could tell something was off about them. First of all they are D color which is rare in diamonds, but the biggest giveaway was they have a very slight cloudiness to them even when freshly cleaned. This is especially evident in in sunlight or light sources with strong UV.

onvacation

Brilliant_Rock
With diamonds and sims, I believe it get it right 90% of the time, excluding the obvious fakes, of course. DH can also tell the difference most of the time with the PS training he got in the past couple of years, though he sometimes asks me for a second opinion. I suppose it''s turned into a game we play when we''re out together.

Colored stones, however, are a whole different beast! Interestingly, just this weekend I was in the process of bringing out my colored stone collection to show my family, when my completely untrained brother immediately called out a fake stone without any prior knowledge! I was amazed. Sure, it looks fake, but not to the degree that I would expect a complete novice to be able to make the call. Certainly more believable than most CZ. I am planning to show him a few more stones and see how he does with them.
11.gif

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
Gotta say, I''m really surprised so many people can tell the difference (excluding those in the business).

onvacation- how do you know you get it right 90% of the time? Do you ask?
9.gif

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think you''re right about context being the general giveaway on fake CZs ... there are enough badly cut diamonds out there that the odd refraction can play in believable sizes. Sadly, moissanite? While it''s very pretty, I can spot it from a mile away. So, worth wearing if you just think it''s cool that it has a higher degree of refraction than diamond, awful if you''re looking for a decoy.

I will say, though, this works in the other direction, too: we''re hyper-obsessive minutia freaks, but normal people can get sucked in real easy. My fellow professors keep asking me, "Is that real?" And it''s like, uh, I make the same salary you do ... how do you imagine I''d be financing 7 carat bangle bracelets and 3 carat antique pear drop-earrings? IT IS FASHION JEWELRY, PEOPLE!

Well, that, or they make a lot more then me and no one''s let me in on the secret yet ...
41.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/1/2010 12:16:53 PM
Author: upgrade
If it''s a really bad fake then I can tell, but a good one? Nope. I think the setting is often a give away for me. A good fake in a good setting would stump me.
so, all my wife''s diamonds must be fake,cuz they are mounted in cheap 14KT setting?
27.gif
well...except her 5 stone ring which is in plat setting.
9.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/1/2010 6:26:15 PM
Author: onvacation
With diamonds and sims, I believe it get it right 90% of the time, excluding the obvious fakes, of course. DH can also tell the difference most of the time with the PS training he got in the past couple of years, though he sometimes asks me for a second opinion. I suppose it''s turned into a game we play when we''re out together.

Colored stones, however, are a whole different beast! Interestingly, just this weekend I was in the process of bringing out my colored stone collection to show my family, when my completely untrained brother immediately called out a fake stone without any prior knowledge! I was amazed. Sure, it looks fake, but not to the degree that I would expect a complete novice to be able to make the call. Certainly more believable than most CZ. I am planning to show him a few more stones and see how he does with them.
11.gif
Ah, this is kinda sad.

2nd Elle Chris - how do you know the stones you claim are fake actually are?

Gleam

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/1/2010 6:37:10 PM
Author: elle_chris
Gotta say, I''m really surprised so many people can tell the difference (excluding those in the business).

onvacation- how do you know you get it right 90% of the time? Do you ask?
9.gif

I am surprised, too. I don''t think I could really tell. There are so many varieties of diamonds, after all. Plus, CZs often turn milky as they get older, making them resemble frozen-spit diamonds to me. If forced to guess one way or another, I''d almost always assume diamond studs are fake. I have girlfriends with 2-3 carat engagement rings but none of them wear real diamond studs.

I especially tend to think 99% of the 3+ ctw diamond studs I see are fake. Imagine the cost! Yet most people don''t get modestly-sized CZ studs, they tend to go for the big ones (or so I''ve noticed).

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/1/2010 4:01:57 PM
Author: Mrs Mitchell
Not really, not when someone''s actually wearing them. Earrings, I mean - rings are a little easier, since you can usually get a closer look (without appearing to be a weirdo).

Sometimes I take a guess based on what else a person is wearing, I must admit. That''s probably a bit obnoxious, now I think about it.
9.gif
WHY???
33.gif
just b/c i''m wearing jeans and T shirt then my jewelry must be fake?

btw; i would never wear fake jewelry or knock offs.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results