shape
carat
color
clarity

Can you help? Looking for pics for uncommon 3 stone proportions.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @joelly :wavey:

I absolutely love it! How could anyone not love that ring?! <3

Unfortunately for my project, tho, the proportions I'm planning are very different. Those sides are 3/4 of a ct each, with a 2+ct center. So my sides would be roughly double that, proportionately. So it's an utterly gorgeous ring - but I'm heading a somewhat different direction.

joelly

Ideal_Rock
Hi @joelly :wavey:

I absolutely love it! How could anyone not love that ring?! <3

Unfortunately for my project, tho, the proportions I'm planning are very different. Those sides are 3/4 of a ct each, with a 2+ct center. So my sides would be roughly double that, proportionately. So it's an utterly gorgeous ring - but I'm heading a somewhat different direction.

Oh wow I can’t wait to see your ring. The proportions you’re planning sounds divine.

maita13

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for starting this thread, @mrs-b! I started working on on a three stone project recently but with OECs and this thread has been extremely helpful in my stone size choices. I can’t wait to see your completed project which will undoubtedly be stunning (as always) :D .

@Hounddog, thanks for posting pics above. Any idea what the proportions/ sizes are of the bottom ring?

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@marymm -

Oooooo! I will love seeing your project! Do you have any of the stones currently? I'm looking forward to this!

Right now I have a pair of 0.317ct BGD MRBs (4.35mm) flanking my 1.5ct AVC (7.02 x 6.46mm) -- I have a loose 0.66ct BGD MRB (5.6mm) so the most affordable thing would be to buy a match for it -- I've kind of glommed the loose 5.6mm diamond next to my 3-stone and it definitely is closer to the proportions I am looking for -- but if I am changing up and paying for a new setting (just like what I have but accommodate larger sides), I only want to do it once -- I need to check whether 5.6mm sidestones will really do the job or if diamonds closer to 6mm are what I really want ... tune in next week lol.

Meanwhile, my eyes are on you mrs-b and the other PSers in this thread who are working on 3-stone projects!!!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi mrs-b, sorry I don’t know what happened there. I’ll try to attach them again! 5BA68F25-7711-4FC5-807C-DE66CF9BB616.jpeg BCFC132B-49EB-4733-B724-8E0CC08FA68F.jpeg

I like the first ring, @Hounddog. But I luuuuurve the second ring! I love the vintage feel that a 3-stone with these proportions gives!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
THANK YOU SO MUCH, @maita13!! That's the ticket!! :appl:

And, as I suspected I would, I love it. <3 <3 <3 Very different to my current 3 stone and more of an old style 3 stone, as opposed to a 'center stone with sides'. I'm also looking to do 6 prongs on all 3 stones, so this is just a perfect example of the proportions I'm looking for.
Thank you so very much - it's really solidified my thinking. :wavey:

Reactions: AV_

maita13

Brilliant_Rock
THANK YOU SO MUCH, @maita13!! That's the ticket!! :appl:

And, as I suspected I would, I love it. <3 <3 <3 Very different to my current 3 stone and more of an old style 3 stone, as opposed to a 'center stone with sides'. I'm also looking to do 6 prongs on all 3 stones, so this is just a perfect example of the proportions I'm looking for.
Thank you so very much - it's really solidified my thinking. :wavey:

You’re very welcome, mrs-b❤! I know what you mean by an “old style“ three stone which is what I’m trying to replicate myself. I‘m glad the VB site helped, and I’m SO excited to see your latest, mrs-b. It’s gonna be mighty purrty:appl::dance::kiss2:

maita13

Brilliant_Rock
Oh holy tamole!! Can you give me the specs on those, @maita13?! That's a divine combination! I LOVE those proportions!

Thank you, mrs-b! There’s another lineup I’m considering but here’s the specs for the lineup above.

0.62 ct 5.31x5.50
0.90 ct 6.09x6.21
0.67 ct 5.37x5.53

ETA 75-76% diameter proportion

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So beautiful, @maita13! If you end up going this direction, this will be some serious finger coverage! Lovely!!

maita13

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks so much, @mrs-b! You don’t how much that means to me, truly❤️...because just when I thought I’m done this stone came along. It’s a Q/R VS1. Now I’m conflicted between these 2. I don’t mind the color, at all.
What do you think, mrs-b? Sorry, I don’t mean to threadjack.

Attachments

• 062BAD27-4441-4401-A340-DD1FABBFE0D7.jpeg
    062BAD27-4441-4401-A340-DD1FABBFE0D7.jpeg
    350.3 KB · Views: 32

maita13

Brilliant_Rock
Lineup #2 sides are the same but center is 6.21x6.45mm
70% proportionally if I’m doing the formula correctly. The Q/R photographed beautifully in the pic posted above but not so much on the pic below. I guess the Q is not a team player...

Attachments

• AAC9F811-D7DC-470E-B917-6E8585D963BF.jpeg
    AAC9F811-D7DC-470E-B917-6E8585D963BF.jpeg
    352.1 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lineup #2 sides are the same but center is 6.21x6.45mm
70% proportionally if I’m doing the formula correctly

Wow - that's a toughie!

I have to say, the color would bother me a LOT. The center stone would have to be set as a contrast to the whiter sides, and that means you'd have to 'yellow it up', which is not easy with a stone that has a smidge of color, but not a whole heap. I prefer white sides with something S/T or lower - partly to establish a color differentiation, but mostly to make the setting options more plentiful.

As for the proportions, I *probably* prefer the second grouping - but - seriously! - you're comparing 'wonderful' and 'fabulous' at this point. I would adore either of those combos and, again, it comes down entirely to what setting you're considering. The three stone I'm looking at making is almost exactly like the first grouping, and that's by choice, so clearly I love both possibilities.

Do you have a preference? And - please! - threadjack away! :))

maita13

Brilliant_Rock
Wow - that's a toughie!

I have to say, the color would bother me a LOT. The center stone would have to be set as a contrast to the whiter sides, and that means you'd have to 'yellow it up', which is not easy with a stone that has a smidge of color, but not a whole heap. I prefer white sides with something S/T or lower - partly to establish a color differentiation, but mostly to make the setting options more plentiful.

As for the proportions, I *probably* prefer the second grouping - but - seriously! - you're comparing 'wonderful' and 'fabulous' at this point. I would adore either of those combos and, again, it comes down entirely to what setting you're considering. The three stone I'm looking at making is almost exactly like the first grouping, and that's by choice, so clearly I love both possibilities.

Do you have a preference? And - please! - threadjack away! :))

This is the setting I have in mind 28F37424-6A4E-4B59-BACF-3FABFC4D68E2.jpeg 1408035C-2EBF-40B5-ADE6-B44183FA08F5.jpeg D6AC13EC-4923-4A47-BA81-B2E05A3C3C9D.jpeg

joelly

Ideal_Rock
Meanwhile, here’s my lineup, @mrs-b: 035FC441-B7F1-41B6-AF27-951E83D1A69B.jpeg

Wow-what a gorgeous set! :appl:

I'm having a tough time committing to one OEC and here you have three gorgeous OEC :love: I can only dream!!!

maita13

Brilliant_Rock
Yikes! Pics came out too big and with an extra strand of hair to boot. Apologies...

You’re right about the having to play up the warmth should I choose the Q/R. I would need a more saturated stone to achieve an appealing contrast. The color differentiation is just not striking enough. And I really want a simple, no frills setting. So choosing the Q/R kinda defeats this purpose.

The original lineup is my most preferred proportions. The Q/R Is attractively priced and the only reason I considered her as a center. I think she would be good solo. Hmmmm...I think I know how I would set her...but one project at a time.

Okay, mrs-b...thanks so much for the feedback❤️❤️ I am, for sure, going with my original lineup which goes to show always trust one’s instincts. Thank you for validating them, mrs-b❤️❤️! Now I can’t wait to see your lineup :D

maita13

Brilliant_Rock
Wow-what a gorgeous set! :appl:

I'm having a tough time committing to one OEC and here you have three gorgeous OEC :love: I can only dream!!!

Thank you, @joelly but mine are teeny tiny compared to you boulder:lol::lol:
I saw videos of your contender and it’s phenomenal!!! I’m SO SO excited for you and can’t wait to see it on your finger:appl::appl:

Have you thought of a setting yet?

AV_

Ideal_Rock
The QR color is a match for gold for me, the sides want white, ie. the setting could provide contrast; if using two or three colors of precious metal works, this works.

joelly

Ideal_Rock
Thank you, @joelly but mine are teeny tiny compared to you boulder:lol::lol:
I saw videos of your contender and it’s phenomenal!!! I’m SO SO excited for you and can’t wait to see it on your finger:appl::appl:

Have you thought of a setting yet?

I’m thinking simple bezel solitaire. I can’t wait to see yours.

maita13

Brilliant_Rock
I’m thinking simple bezel solitaire. I can’t wait to see yours.

Ooohhhh, it’s gonna be SPECTACULAR!!!! Have you made a decision yet RE Larry’s stone?

Mine is a Victorian claw setting, like the one I posted above.

maita13

Brilliant_Rock
The QR color is a match for gold for me, the sides want white, ie. the setting could provide contrast; if using two or three colors of precious metal works, this works.

@AV_ , you’re right about setting the Q/R in yellow gold providing contrast while maybe using platinum or WG for the sides. I’ve made my decision to stay with my original lineup minutes ago when I was typing up my response to mrs-b.

But I just came across LAD’s listing on Etsy. It features an M center. The Q/R should more yellow than this, noh? I’m going to have to email the poor vendor/seller who must be banging his head against the wall by now. It’s just that LAD’s photo below is making me second guess myself:oops2:

and my CDF36C5E-3455-4C9D-8212-2FC191C68C83.jpeg indecision is always final:wall:....what to do, what to do:doh::doh:

AV_

Ideal_Rock
It is just a picture, however, the cut of the stones & the way the yellow gold setting reflects through them, means a great deal - I will not dare guess how a diamond will behave, though I have some ideas [what comes to mind: the marquise of @KKJohnson subtly changed its color just from relatively subtle changes between two YG settings! - the angle between the reflective YG 'behind the stone & its facets had changed & this works much the same as all the story of 'angles' of diamond facets...]

maita13

Brilliant_Rock
It is just a picture, however, the cut of the stones & the way the yellow gold setting reflects through them, means a great deal - I will not dare guess how a diamond will behave, though I have some ideas [what comes to mind: the marquise of @KKJohnson subtly changed its color just from relatively subtle changes between two YG settings! - the angle between the reflective YG 'behind the stone & its facets had changed & this works much the same as all the story of 'angles' of diamond facets...]

Thanks, @AV_ ! Apologies, my Xanax induced blurred vision could not initially make out the rest of your post as the font color's changed:lol:

But yes, metal color choice, the way stone is set and cut all play a factor in the way a stone behaves when mounted. That's what I love about old cuts, so chameleon-like in their characteristics; but when it comes down to choosing which stones, I just don't like that they behave temperamentally:lol:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@maita13 -

If the first combo was your preference, go with that. Try not to second guess yourself when you've already found what floats your boat. Consider yourself lucky, and enjoy the setting process.

And - let's face it - those stones are gorgeous!

maita13

Brilliant_Rock
@maita13 -

If the first combo was your preference, go with that. Try not to second guess yourself when you've already found what floats your boat. Consider yourself lucky, and enjoy the setting process.

And - let's face it - those stones are gorgeous!

Thanks, mrs-b❤️❤️

joelly

Ideal_Rock
Ooohhhh, it’s gonna be SPECTACULAR!!!! Have you made a decision yet RE Larry’s stone?

Mine is a Victorian claw setting, like the one I posted above.

Not yet.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results