shape
carat
color
clarity

Can you get yourself to wear fake diamonds?

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have tried to like them.... My dh and dd say they cannot tell the difference...it would sure help my love of bling and my bank
account, but no matter how real they look, I know they are not.

I just don't want to wear them. I wish I could get over it. I have a few real stones. If only I could be happy with just a few cz's, but
I can't. Does anyone else feel the same way?

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
I did for a while, but I'm kind of getting over it. I don't mind a piece here or there now, but it's tough to find something I like, because it seems like everything I see that's not real diamonds is just so big, it's not anything I would wear anyway.

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
No, I can't. I also can't wear designer knock offs clothes or bags. I don't know if it's my age or because I know it's not real, but I just can't.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No.
Part of the appeal of diamonds is they are expensive.

Sorry.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
I'll be wearing some fakes on my wedding day: fell in love with the design and it would cost $500,000 if it was real

On a daily basis: no

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not since I got a real diamond! I used to wear some cz but not anymore

slg47

Ideal_Rock
rosetta|1304872577|2915437 said:
I'll be wearing some fakes on my wedding day: fell in love with the design and it would cost $500,000 if it was real

rosetta do you have pics of the design? can you post them in BWW (that is ok, right?)

suchende

Brilliant_Rock
I have lots of rhinestones in base metal. They don't look like fake diamonds to my eye, they're their own thing, and I love them in their way. I wear them out clubbing, or big "statement" necklaces to work. But now that I think about it, I don't like to wear diamonds with them. They "show up" my real jewelry and it looks incongruous to me.

shihtzulover

Brilliant_Rock
I used to be able to, but as I become more of a diamond lover, it's becoming more difficult.

Back in high school, I wore cz's all of the time, with no problem at all. Of course, I didn't even own any diamonds at the time, anyway! I remember that my high school boyfriend got me a ring as a gift (not the one that I said that I wanted, but whatever), and I was so excited that it contained a real diamond - never mind that it was such a small chip that you had to really look to make sure it was still really there!

Of course, he also gave me a super tarnished bracelet for my birthday. He swore that he had bought it awhile back, and that it had gotten tarnished in storage. He swore that the stones in it were diamonds, and that he spent a lot of money on it - needless to say, one of the links broke in less than a week. I'm sure that he didn't really find it on the ground or anything. :rolleyes:

Anyway, now that I have some real diamonds, it's getting harder for me to wear cz's. I still do wear them on occasion, but less and less.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I was younger, I did wear cz studs until real ones were in the budget. I've never worn fashion jewelry of any kind, either. I've always pretty much worn classic gold+diamond jewelry for the most part (changed from yg to wg along the way).

Sam121

Rough_Rock
I don't have an issue, it's just safer to wear it whenever I travel. airport security and handling baggage when wearing bling is just stressful, so the last thing I want is to worry about chipping my stone!

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
I wear fakey studs in my ears...I love them! I wear a fake hamsa necklace and people always assume its real...till I tell them its not!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
No. I wear diamonds because I think they're beautiful, and fakes just never have that same appeal to me.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wore a fake 5 stone ring for a while when I was trying to decide if thats what I wanted. For not real stones, it actually
looked pretty good so I bought the real thing.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
No. I have seen some pretty pieces, though, that are tasteful and high quality. But, for me, it's not about the quality of the fakes, it's a mind-clean thing about them not being real. And, also, I stopped wearing costume jewelry about 10 years ago, and that's what fakes are to me -- costume jewelry.

ETA: Feb03, I can't wear fake designer stuff either. It really is a mind-clean thing.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

As it stands, I am wearing more colored stones and gold jewellery--not diamonds at all. So when I do wear them, I feel they should be the "real" thing. But that is just me.

cheers--Sharon

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
No. I find fakes distasteful in general.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
I should add that the earrings are rhinestones not CZ..

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Yes. I have fake earrings. I have thick hair and a big round face. I like a good 1-2 ct per ear and I'd never be able to buy diamonds in that range. So, I have big ol fakeys! I don't try to pass them off as real, that's what I find distasteful. But, I love the big blingy look.

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
I don't own any, but I would wear fake diamonds if I found a good pair of fake earrings. I don't need them to be real for them to look pretty on my ears. I don't buy fake purses, but I do buy purses inspired by designer items. And that's how I see this since I'm not trying to pass them off as anything but pretty crystals.

It's true that I would prefer some big crazy huge diamond earrings, but I'll have to wait for those. ;))

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
slg47|1304874584|2915453 said:
rosetta|1304872577|2915437 said:

rosetta do you have pics of the design? can you post them in BWW (that is ok, right?)

I think we aren't allowed to post pics of any fakies slg, sorry!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Feb03Bride|1304871845|2915434 said:
No, I can't. I also can't wear designer knock offs clothes or bags. I don't know if it's my age or because I know it's not real, but I just can't.

Ditto!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
thing2of2|1304898817|2915692 said:

Ditto!

I have to say this is me too. I am glad there are other people who feel the same. I have a few pieces. I can wear them for a special
occasion if I need something with more bling than I own but that is about it. Wearing my real pieces gives me joy, the fakes
do not.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1304872433|2915436 said:
No.
Part of the appeal of diamonds is they are expensive.

Sorry.

Why are you sorry, Kenny?

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock

Ditto!

Totally agree, I dont want people to think that I am wearing knock-offs and passing them off as real. If I want something that I can't afford, I am more of the mindset to save for it and get what it is I really want. Although, I used to be the opposite in the past!!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I do wear costume jewelry, and I enjoy it - if it was good enough for Chanel, it's good enough for me! But the kind of costume jewelry I'll wear is the kind that no one in their right mind would think was real (well, I hope) - stuff like hand-faceted 20 carat lab rubies that I set myself, or great ropes of gems that Henry VIII would have worn.

Fake diamonds don't appeal to me, though I don't think they're anywhere near as egregious as knock-off bags or clothes: no one's intellectual property is being damaged, after all. I think it's more like what Haven and Kenny say: the cachet of diamonds comes, in some ways, from the ... not mind-cleanliness, but the mind-value of them. Because they're so expensive, I tend to get them for special occasions, so they're doubly precious, both because of the value society assigns to them, and because of the value that they have to me, signifying anniversaries ... holidays ... memories. CZ's are rarely given as gifts, so I'm betting they rarely attain the same mental status.

I will say, though, that I do buy them as ... training wheels of sorts before I buy diamond pieces, just to be sure I like them. Fakies helped me figure out that I didn't like prong-set earrings: preferred to go above 1 ctw for bezeled earrings; could and would comfortably wear stacking bands up to 4 or 5 a finger; could not tolerate the flippiness of a DBTY; and so on and so forth. I figure, if you're going to drop 5, 10, 20K on a piece of jewelry, best be sure it suits your style!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ditto!

Thritto, no can do. Even in highschool I couldn't bring myself to wear CZ studs or fake pearls like everyone else. There's something about *knowing* it's fake that I can't get over - and oh, I've tried to talk myself into it! Even at my wedding I just couldn't stomach the idea of CZ brooch or crystal hairpins - I was happier without, though certainly less sparkly!

Circe - I have spent probably hours at department stores trying stuff on for style, like you, though!

stci

Ideal_Rock
I hate diamond simulant!!!! I prefer to have nothing!!!! :devil:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
impossible :!: either i wear the real thing or nothing,and for now NOTHING... ;(

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Circe|1304901245|2915754 said:
I do wear costume jewelry, and I enjoy it - if it was good enough for Chanel, it's good enough for me! But the kind of costume jewelry I'll wear is the kind that no one in their right mind would think was real (well, I hope) - stuff like hand-faceted 20 carat lab rubies that I set myself, or great ropes of gems that Henry VIII would have worn.

Meeeee toooo!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results