shape
carat
color
clarity

Can you get yourself to wear fake diamonds?

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
Real diamonds feel so much better on than a substitute. Tester peices and Fashion uber-bling aside (which is it's own look), I find wearing cz as a staple depressing. If you know what you want, why wouldn't you invest a little money to get it? Especially if it's a daily wear peice! You do deserve diamonds - you are worth it. Don't cheap out on yourself. Every time you look at a cz peice, it's just a reminder that you want what you don't have (unless you're actively working to make that a reality).

If you can't have diamonds, it's far better to have gorgeous silver peices or semi-precious stones that are real. Be authentic.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I agree - there's something about a diamond that's just not the same even in a good simulant. I have a few CZ pieces, but I just don't wear them that often. For example, I got some flashy, blingy CZ earrings for my wedding, knowing I wouldn't wear them much in the future.

ETA: I think it has something to do with the status symbol of a real diamond. I'm not normally a sucker for status symbols (brand names, fancy cars, etc.), except for diamonds!

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
I can't wear them. I have owned a few but I just did not feel the same wearing them as I do the real thing. Diamonds feel special. I could douse myself in glitter and sparkle but it wouldn't give me the thrill I get from diamonds. I would have no problem wearing a colorless natural stone like sapphire or zircon that could easily be mistaken for diamond by the untrained eye.

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock
I can't wear fake anything. I have a real problem with putting anything on my body whose sole purpose is to look like something else. It kinda feels like lying.

purselover

Ideal_Rock
Nope, I'm in the category of won't wear any fake costume jewelry, or fake designer bags, shoes, etc. I'd rather hold out for the real things thanks, not to mention where the money from the designer knockoff industry goes.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
This thread is hilarious. Really guys...it's just a stone. I'm amazed by how many people are just like, "Omg, CZ is so not good enough! Diamond or nothing!"

Well, since I would rather not have NOTHING, I have a CZ ER. Yup, because we hit tough times and had to sell my diamond, but I didn't think it was fair for me to go without a ring just because it wasn't REAL. I don't lie about what it is, but most people think it's a diamond. I don't see the big deal.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For me it is a mind clean thing. I don't wear fake diamonds/jewelry or fake designer bags/clothes either. I don't judge others who do but it doesn't work for me. If I cannot afford the real thing I don't wear it. I don't own diamond studs because I cannot afford to spend the money right now on the size I would want so I do without. I really enjoy wearing real and beautiful diamonds and so if I have less jewelry because of it no big deal to me. I appreciate what I do have and love all my pieces.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is kind of funny, I agree Monkeypie.

It is to be expected, after all we are here because we love diamonds.

I have a few pieces that I bought before pricescope and a couple after. I have a pair of earrings made by a designer for QVC, and I
have seen the real and they are almost exactly the same. The difference being a very slight difference in the metal
thickness. But I have only wore them a few times. I know they aren't real.

On of my friends has a gorgeous pair of earrings that I love. They look fabulous and real on her. She rocks them. They are made
by Nadri. I would love a pair, but in the end, I probably wouldn't wear them much. This is what I wish I could get out of my head.

I think I have been spoiled. At least I have a few others with me. I don't think people are trying to lie in wearing them though,
just trying to enjoy the sparkle without paying a hefty price. If they enjoy it, go for it.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
I wouldn't advocate trying to pass off fakes as the real deal. But I see no problem in wearing fakes if you aren't trying to fool anyone.

I'm wearing about 20 carats of real diamonds and 15 carats of fakes in my ears for my wedding. They are very good huge simulated stones. I wouldn't fork out for 6 carat oval diamonds just to wear them once. I couldn't afford that. I'll never wear them again after the wedding. If anyone asks, I'll tell them they aren't real!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
This thread is so interesting to me! I love trying to tease out the underlying psychological factors behind these things - should have gone into sociology, I guess. Really glad you started this one, Luv2Sparkle!

Reading over everybody's responses, I feel like there are a couple of distinct factors in play. There's one where it's almost like wearing a fake makes the wearer into a fake - like somebody might mistake one for a real rich lady and be horribly disappointed when they ask for a check for the "Save Venice Foundation," or something, and get turned down. Imposter Syndrome, or the avoidance thereof. And then there's that intangible something-or-other that's all in the head ....

I just played that one out, like an play in six acts. See, a few months ago, when I was shopping for my eternity band, I was seriously torn, because the dealer had this gorgeous Art Deco ruby line bracelet with the most gorgeous engraving on the sides for the exact same price. I tried it on and I hemmed and hawed, but at the end of the day, I figured I just don't wear bracelets much, so ... it'd just be a waste. So I put it back and got my eternity band, and felt really happy ... but I kept thinking about that bracelet.

Then last weekend, I spotted the bracelet's cousin at a flea market ... except for like, 1/20th of the price. It was a paste version of that same Art Deco ruby line bracelet, only sans engraving! Dude, I snapped it up. And I've been wearing it all week! It's hella comfortable - this bracelet, I wear. At first, my thought process was, "My god, paste is awesome." (Seriously, I sounded like that kindergarten kid nobody wants to sit next to in my head.) And, truth be told, I felt a little pleased about having "saved" all that money - I had the bracelet! It was a real antique, and everything!

I just called the original dealer to see if he still had the bracelet. He did, and I'm picking it up tomorrow.

Why? Because at the end of the day, it just isn't the same. It doesn't have the same magic, even if the magic is entirely in my head, based on the construct of the woman who originally wore it, and to what kinds of events, and the kind of cachet it had then, and the rarity of it all now. Don't get me wrong, I love the paste bracelet, and it has its own magic, and I will wear the heck out of it ... but it just made me realize how much I wanted the "real thing." Funny, nu?

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I'm in the minority here--I don't mind fakes at all. I bought a cz emerald cut solitaire in a 14k white gold setting to shake things up a little bit. I wear it maybe 2x per year...I wouldn't mind having a few other fakes. I also have a fake emerald cut diamond and sapphire band--I bought it when I was trying to figure out what kind of spacer to get and am glad I did because after a couple of weeks of wearing it I decided I only wanted sapphires in my spacer. I do plan on getting a 2+ carat diamond ring at some point and like the idea of wearing fakes to figure out what I'm going to like on my hand before dropping the money.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
MonkeyPie|1304946610|2916135 said:
This thread is hilarious. Really guys...it's just a stone. I'm amazed by how many people are just like, "Omg, CZ is so not good enough! Diamond or nothing!"

Well, since I would rather not have NOTHING, I have a CZ ER. Yup, because we hit tough times and had to sell my diamond, but I didn't think it was fair for me to go without a ring just because it wasn't REAL. I don't lie about what it is, but most people think it's a diamond. I don't see the big deal.

I don't have a problem with what others chose to do or wear, nor do I have any negative judgment towards them. I just personally prefer not to wear cz.

Lew Lew

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Re "passing them off" or "fooling people". It's no one else's business.

I have some "faux" earrings. I guess I'm "fooling" everybody when I wear them. Am I obligated to tell everyone who compliments me on them that they're not diamonds? Am I also obligated to tell everyone that I'm not a natural blonde or that I'm wearing a padded bra or that my straight teeth are a result of braces? :rolleyes:

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Just wanted to add this. I have no problem with fakeys (as I stated earlier) and I'd RATHER WEAR FAKES THAN CRAPPY DIAMONDS. I have fakes that sparkle a helluva lot more than some crap I've seen on others.

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock
luv2sparkle|1304947525|2916147 said:
I don't think people are trying to lie in wearing them though,
just trying to enjoy the sparkle without paying a hefty price.

I don't really think too much about what other people wear except, like everyone else, to get an initial impression from their overall look. If I see someone wearing something that looks like a diamond, I'll just assume its a diamond and not think about it any more. I'm of the camp that assumes its real unless proven otherwise and I wouldn't ask. If it were fake, I would never know the difference. I may be projecting my attitudes on others - for all I know they may assume its fake. But I figure if people are like me and assume its real, it should be real.

I once had a knockoff of the quilted Chanel bag and enjoyed it for years. It was beautiful, high quality leather and I didn't even know about the original Chanel bag when I bought it. When I saw the original Chanel, I did wonder if everybody but me had known but it didn't bother me too much. Its kinda hard to buy a cz for the beauty of that particular cz and not think of diamonds so it wouldn't work for me.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Lew Lew|1304954484|2916227 said:
Re "passing them off" or "fooling people". It's no one else's business.

I have some "faux" earrings. I guess I'm "fooling" everybody when I wear them. Am I obligated to tell everyone who compliments me on them that they're not diamonds? Am I also obligated to tell everyone that I'm not a natural blonde or that I'm wearing a padded bra or that my straight teeth are a result of braces? :rolleyes:

LOL. This gave me a giggle.

I'm not really judging anybody for not wanting to wear CZ's - whatever floats your boat. I have to wonder, though, if attitudes would be different if REAL diamonds could not be bought due to finances.

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock
MonkeyPie|1304956954|2916279 said:
I have to wonder, though, if attitudes would be different if REAL diamonds could not be bought due to finances.

Sapphires - just as beautiful, but in a different way and a lot cheaper. :bigsmile:

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
AmeliaG|1304958034|2916312 said:
MonkeyPie|1304956954|2916279 said:
I have to wonder, though, if attitudes would be different if REAL diamonds could not be bought due to finances.

Sapphires - just as beautiful, but in a different way and a lot cheaper. :bigsmile:

The good ones aren't! Lol but that's why I used to be SO into gems...diamonds were not an option for my wallet.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I was a young mom and there was no extra money for diamonds, I wore fakes and they brought me a lot of joy. I have absolutely no problem with sims, and make no judgements when I see a beautiful diamond ring, earrings, pendant etc. I never think "Gee, I wonder if that's real? Is that person trying to fool me with that?" I just assume it's real and appreciate the beauty and sparkle of it. I just don't have room in my life for that kind of negativity. Who cares, as long as the wearer is enjoying it?

I've been fortunate in the past few years to be able to purchase a few diamond pieces. They are from the secondary market, are small by PS standards but I'm happy with them and don't feel the desire for sims because of them. But if there hadn't been the extra money for them? Yeah, I would wear sims.

Many people don't have the extra thousands of dollars to buy diamonds but still want to enjoy the sparkle of a diamond.

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock
LOL - I love diamonds but other gems can do it too!

I haven't priced out sapphires recently but a good but not best quality 1 carat diamond is going about $10000. When I was helping my sister get her sapphire, we did look at good quality - not the best, and sapphires of that size were nowhere near that expensive. Its possible though that sapphires have gone up in price recently just like diamonds.

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
I have fake studs, and currently a fake e-ring.

We upgraded my rings for our 5th anniversary with a lovely .94ct oval diamond (bought on ebay for a steal so I didn't bother with insurance). Within 6 months I managed to crack the diamond almost in half. I was paranoid of doing it again, so I set the diamond in a bezel pendant and got a "replacement" for my e-ring. I figured if I killed it, at least we could afford to replace it again. 5 years later and I think it actually looks prettier than the diamond ever did, and has held up fine. I have plenty of other diamond pieces, but my fakes are also beautiful for what they are and I enjoy them.

poshpepper

Ideal_Rock
I have no issue with fakes and I have fake studs because I wanted a specific size and did not want to put that much money into diamonds that I don't see. I have a few fake rings that I wear when I dont want to risk my real ering (like on vacation).

I think fakes have their purpose and place, and I dont worry about something looking real or fake, people will think what they want to think and I don't have anything to hide (or prove) to anyone. If someone asked me about my studs I would tell them they are not diamonds.

KittyGolightly

Brilliant_Rock
I gladly wear fakes. I especially like Kenneth Jay Lane and Nadri. Of course I'd prefer real versions of all the looks I love, but that's just never going to happen!

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
junebug17|1304958921|2916326 said:
When I was a young mom and there was no extra money for diamonds, I wore fakes and they brought me a lot of joy. I have absolutely no problem with sims, and make no judgements when I see a beautiful diamond ring, earrings, pendant etc. I never think "Gee, I wonder if that's real? Is that person trying to fool me with that?" I just assume it's real and appreciate the beauty and sparkle of it. I just don't have room in my life for that kind of negativity. Who cares, as long as the wearer is enjoying it?

I've been fortunate in the past few years to be able to purchase a few diamond pieces. They are from the secondary market, are small by PS standards but I'm happy with them and don't feel the desire for sims because of them. But if there hadn't been the extra money for them? Yeah, I would wear sims.

Many people don't have the extra thousands of dollars to buy diamonds but still want to enjoy the sparkle of a diamond.

Wow you took the words right out of my mouth!!!! I do have several that were bought right after I had my youngest son and I couldnt wear my e-ring which was only .18 ct anyway so I went and bought some fake ones, all sent in 14K for what its worth. I loved those rings, I also have a necklace that I adore and I still wear CZ studs. I bought a really nice 5 stone CZ ring and wore it proudly. Well as time went on I realized that the fakes were not cutting it anymore I wanted the real thing...so we took out a loan and bought me a real diamond set and it is small by most PS standards, but I still love them. I will say though now that I have a rocking nice real 5 stone that I dont wear my fake one anymore, it just doesnt look as good to me!!! but it has quite a bit of 14K gold...I am thinking of melting it......

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Yes. Definitely. I wear really good CZ fakes on my ears (they're even set with platinum) because my ears are very sensitive to most gold alloys. I wear real diamonds everywhere else. I don't try to mislead people, in fact I tell most people who compliment my "set" (ring/necklace/earrings), that the earrings are fakes. I can't justify getting 2ctw studs in real diamonds yet, because I can't see my ears...maybe when I'm older, and have spare $$$ laying around.

iota15

Brilliant_Rock
Fake ering -> definitely not. Personally, I would feel like a fraud.

In the society I live in, everyone would assume a colorless stone on the ring finger of a woman of "appropriate age" (not a child/teenager) was a diamond... I would know that it was not, and I would feel like I'm trying to pass something by someone.

Fake anything else -> I could live with - although I don't actually own any non-diamond colorless stones. For me, I consider bracelets, earrings, necklaces both fashion and jewelry which can comprise of anything.

On somebody else -> it's your business. Although I recently saw a gemstone being passed for a diamond (I'm positive it was not a diamond), and it just made me kind of sad for the girl, and also feel really ackward like, should I say something? (I didn't and will likely never see her again.). Maybe it's because I'm certain she thought it was a diamond and she was soooo super sweet. I guess I was a bit angry too for what I thought her fiance was trying to pull. None of the other girls seem to notice but I got two close looks at it, and being the diamond freak I am, I knew....

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Nope. That's why I'm here. I saved my pennies for my diamond studs (that I adore and wear every day). Could I have gotten sims for much less? Yeah. But it's a mind clean thing for me. I'd rather wear no stones than fakeys or bad diamonds. And I'll be the first to admit that yeah, a bit of it is a status thing. There's something nice to me about having *diamond* studs, and ones that are big enough to notice. I work hard, and I buy myself nice things. I don't go into debt for them, and so I figure, it's my money, why not? I don't give a hoot what anybody else wears (a good friend of mine feels like her e-ring should be the only real diamond she has, so she only wears CZs other than that), but I like having the real thing.

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock
iota15|1304987629|2916847 said:
Although I recently saw a gemstone being passed for a diamond (I'm positive it was not a diamond), and it just made me kind of sad for the girl, and also feel really ackward like, should I say something? (I didn't and will likely never see her again.). Maybe it's because I'm certain she thought it was a diamond and she was soooo super sweet. I guess I was a bit angry too for what I thought her fiance was trying to pull.

Ouch! I would feel the same way. Wearing a cz and knowing it is one thing; wearing a cz and thinking it is a diamond because that's what your fiance gave you would not be cool. I feel sorry for the girl too.

lbbaber

Brilliant_Rock
AmeliaG|1304988513|2916862 said:
iota15|1304987629|2916847 said:
Although I recently saw a gemstone being passed for a diamond (I'm positive it was not a diamond), and it just made me kind of sad for the girl, and also feel really ackward like, should I say something? (I didn't and will likely never see her again.). Maybe it's because I'm certain she thought it was a diamond and she was soooo super sweet. I guess I was a bit angry too for what I thought her fiance was trying to pull.

Ouch! I would feel the same way. Wearing a cz and knowing it is one thing; wearing a cz and thinking it is a diamond because that's what your fiance gave you would not be cool. I feel sorry for the girl too.

OMG, A friend of my little sister got engaged last week and has been proudly showing off her *obvious* fake set in a halo....the poor thing is SOOOOO proud of it but she has NO IDEA its a fake. The stone would be AT LEAST 2 carats and she keeps saying "can you believe I am wearing a $4,000 ring??" The guy tried to lie about the price but he has no clue what a 2ct stone costs. My sister asked her where he bought it and she says "he wants to keep the details secret but I know he got me an expensive stone at a great price". One of these days someone is going to tell her and I feel sad for her. Its not even a good fake, its just GLASS!

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Yes, I do. I always lose earrings, so if I want to wear sparklies on my ears I wear fakes. I had an exact replica made of my 3-stone engagement ring (for travel and to wear to the gym, etc). I wear it more than my actual engagement ring and I can't tell the difference really. I can afford real diamonds, so that isn't the issue. I don't feel like I'm trying to "pull one over" on anybody or misrepresenting myself (kanye shrug).

In the interest of full disclosure . . I'm not a natural redhead (gasp), and I've had liposuction (oh the horror). While vain, I'm not really into status symbols. Don't care. :tongue:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results