shape
carat
color
clarity

Can you get yourself to wear fake diamonds?

lbbaber

Brilliant_Rock
I also wanted to mention that I was reading through another jewelry/wedding forum where the girls wear alot of simulants and announce it proudly....they were laughing about us PSers saying that we were snobs that think we are too good to wear fakes....some said that they believe alot of our posters are really rocking fakeys and passing them off as real anyways. Then others mentioned they deliberately set up PS accounts to pass off fakes ..I got a laugh out of reading that thread! :lol:

My personal opinion....Even though I do not wear any fake diamonds myself I dont see anything wrong with others who do. To each their own....the only time I have a problem w/someone using a fake diamond as an e-ring is when they lie to their SO about it. It is wrong on so many levels!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lbbaber|1304990649|2916903 said:
I also wanted to mention that I was reading through another jewelry/wedding forum where the girls wear alot of simulants and announce it proudly....they were laughing about us PSers saying that we were snobs that think we are too good to wear fakes....some said that they believe alot of our posters are really rocking fakeys and passing them off as real anyways. Then others mentioned they deliberately set up PS accounts to pass off fakes ..I got a laugh out of reading that thread! :lol:

My personal opinion....Even though I do not wear any fake diamonds myself I dont see anything wrong with others who do. To each their own....the only time I have a problem w/someone using a fake diamond as an e-ring is when they lie to their SO about it. It is wrong on so many levels!
of course we are snobs... :lol: or else we all be posting on the simulant forum.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Uh ... why? I mean, I realize posting jewelry on the internet is already sort of weird, but ... why the heck would you want to do so under false pretenses? If it's just about having one's bling admired, there's a forum for that (now I sound like an iPhone person), so ... what's the point? To garner the attention of strangers for something that's not true?

Being popular on the internet is several steps down from being big in ___fill in the name of a country where Hasselhoff is popular___. Do not comprehend.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
lbbaber|1304990081|2916893 said:
AmeliaG|1304988513|2916862 said:
iota15|1304987629|2916847 said:
Although I recently saw a gemstone being passed for a diamond (I'm positive it was not a diamond), and it just made me kind of sad for the girl, and also feel really ackward like, should I say something? (I didn't and will likely never see her again.). Maybe it's because I'm certain she thought it was a diamond and she was soooo super sweet. I guess I was a bit angry too for what I thought her fiance was trying to pull.

Ouch! I would feel the same way. Wearing a cz and knowing it is one thing; wearing a cz and thinking it is a diamond because that's what your fiance gave you would not be cool. I feel sorry for the girl too.

OMG, A friend of my little sister got engaged last week and has been proudly showing off her *obvious* fake set in a halo....the poor thing is SOOOOO proud of it but she has NO IDEA its a fake. The stone would be AT LEAST 2 carats and she keeps saying "can you believe I am wearing a $4,000 ring??" The guy tried to lie about the price but he has no clue what a 2ct stone costs. My sister asked her where he bought it and she says "he wants to keep the details secret but I know he got me an expensive stone at a great price". One of these days someone is going to tell her and I feel sad for her. Its not even a good fake, its just GLASS!

that is so sad. and how dishonest of a FI!!!! what does that tell you about their relationship??? he felt the need to buy a BIG FAKE to give to her (did he feel what he could afford wasn't good enough for her??) and lie to her about it! I feel sad for both of them!!!

lbbaber

Brilliant_Rock
Circe|1304993809|2916951 said:

Uh ... why? I mean, I realize posting jewelry on the internet is already sort of weird, but ... why the heck would you want to do so under false pretenses? If it's just about having one's bling admired, there's a forum for that (now I sound like an iPhone person), so ... what's the point? To garner the attention of strangers for something that's not true?

Being popular on the internet is several steps down from being big in ___fill in the name of a country where Hasselhoff is popular___. Do not comprehend.

I don't understand it either. I am not a member of that forum. I actually found it when I was looking for the super secret "sight that can't be named" that other PSers have bought/sold jewelry from (it was mentioned in a recent thread and got me curious). I think they were trying to "prove a point"...that their fakies are good enough to fool the PSers. The thread had a mocking tone to it.

lbbaber

Brilliant_Rock
Dancing Fire|1304992575|2916933 said:

of course we are snobs... :lol: or else we all be posting on the simulant forum.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I have some fake tacori hoop earrings...and they don't feel special now that I have my real studs!

although I did try it on my finger to see what an eternity band would look like :Up_to_something: :Up_to_something:

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
I have a few heavy 14kt. gold gents rings that have cubic z centers only because the original stones went to pay for college tuition and living expenses when in school a few years back.I like the rings to much to let them sit in jewelry storage. So until i find center stones for them this is the best alternative.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really, REALLY don't care if others want to rock some fakies. However, I'm like Jaysonsmom (and others) because I have metal allergies and can't do sterling silver in my earlobes...not to mention that sterling settings don't come with screw backs and the couple of times I tried to wear CZ studs set in sterling I ended up losing them. So, although I know I could buy some platinum or WG (or heck, even YG) settings and use CZ's in them, I'd rather save up the cash for the complete package at this point. A nice pair of RB studs, probably 1.5 ctw set in WG or platinum is on my wish list.

Fakes in rings? Pshaw. People do it all the time. There have been a ton of threads about "travel rings" here over the years and no one seems to balk at that. So if people want to take it a step further and wear something on a daily basis that makes them happy, why not? No skin off my back. :bigsmile:

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
I don't mind if others do but I don't.

I'd rather have a small diamond that's real than a large fake. In fact, like many others, I'd prefer a real coloured stone to a fake diamond.

My jewellery collection is tiny by PS standards but quite large compared to that of my friends. I have one or two pieces that people assume are fake because they're bigger than what is usually seen here in small town South Africa. It used to bother me that people thought they were fake, now I just brush it off.

I can't even bring myself to wear fake name brand clothing. Many years ago, while shopping in London with a friend, we stumbled across fake Louis Vuitton bags. I wanted one sooooo badly! But the real thing, not the fake. My friend bought the fake, I didn't. Instead I kept looking and bought a plain black real leather bag from Hidesign. Who? Yes, a no name brand handbag that cost less than the fake LV bag, despite being real leather.

It's been, oh, about 7 or 8 years now but I still have my little no name brand bag and because it's real leather it holds up pretty well. I was eventually able to buy a real Louis Vuitton pouchette. My friend, whose fake LV bag fell apart a few months after purchase, still wants to know where I found such a realistic looking fake. :roll:

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
i have a 3ct blue spinel that has half moon czs as sidestones. the spinel was a Tan deal @ $200, and i just couldn't justify spending $$ on real diamond sides. I also have some travel rings in well cut cz and 18k white gold... got them when gold was at $400/oz. I initially got them when i was 21, to wear at my first job where i was getting hit on by gross married men.. that seemed to work.

Now that i'm an old maid, i wear them when we go on cruises or vacations where i might need to dress up for dinner, but dont want to bring real stuff in case i play too much and lose it (like vegas). I know insurance is for that purpose, but i rather not deal w/ the head/heartache. They do look real when they are clean, i've compared them to my real ones. But tbh, i haven't worn them much... actually, i dont wear any of my rings much anymore since my hands have been so dry and gross looking lately.

You'd be surprised at how realistic they make em these days.. mine were like $20 (10 yrs ago) and they're H-I colored. I think a lot of girls may be unknowingly wearing fakes.

eta: Just looked thru my ring box and realized those 18k settings cost less than my daniel m argentium settings... and the daniel m's holding a real diamond! something's not right here... :(sad I shoulda bought a ton of settings back in the day.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wish I could pull it off, but especially czs which are made specifically to look like expensive diamonds jewelry, just don't feel comfortable doing it. Only stuff I wear are real stones in silver or gold. Doesn't need to be expensive, but I guess I do feel like I'm faking it if I wear it (this doesn't apply to over the top costume jewelry).

I like looking at other people's costume jewelry, and how it is coordinated with their outfit, my grandmother rocked really cool jewelry esembles some which I keep as mementos, I'm ok wearing some pieces that are obviously fake. Years ago I had a pair of winks czs I wore (in a reasonable size) but as soon as I got my real diamond studs, no desire to wear them as well as other small cz pieces I have though they are very realistic (some in gold).
When I get older I do reserve the right to go all out, wear fancy hats purple and large costume pieces, but I'm not there yet.

I don't look down on people that do. I had a boss who was pure class and I totally adored. I assumed her largish diamond ring was real, but she laughed and said it was a fake. They had more important things to buy at the time but she didn't want to go without a ring, and never got around to replacing it. But she was right. She was bigger than life and a small diamond ring probably wouldn't look "right" on her.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes...I have three Diamonique rings from QVC and wear them when I don't want to wear my real e-rings (when I'm traveling or doing something messy that could ruin my diamond). They're fun and I don't try to pretend they're real. It's also for variety's sake, since my Diamonique is a radiant cut, and my e-ring is a round.

Am I now going to be banned from Pricescope? :cheeky: :)

kristi2011

Rough_Rock
It all depends. If its for an e-ring. No. I would rather preferred a color gem instead. I've looked at them and tried them on. The sales person told me at times it will look better than a diamond and the only way to tell is scientific testing but the fact that its fake I just cant justify it with my mind. I will never be happy knowing its fake even if people cant tell.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Laila619|1305067052|2917835 said:
Yes...I have three Diamonique rings from QVC and wear them when I don't want to wear my real e-rings (when I'm traveling or doing something messy that could ruin my diamond). They're fun and I don't try to pretend they're real. It's also for variety's sake, since my Diamonique is a radiant cut, and my e-ring is a round.

No banning! I have a honking diamonique asscher for my travels when I pretend like mimosas are my every day breakfast and I'm a rich and elegant lady!

CaprineSun

Brilliant_Rock

A poster here did exactly this not too long ago. :nono: I was not pleased and this poster knows it is against the rules. :nono: I chose not to post in the thread, but wonder if I should've hit the "report" button. I think it's VERY wrong to mislead people. Especially on a forum such as this where posting sims and "subtly" trying to pass it off as genuine is not welcomed.

I'm not against sims (would buy one myself), but the rules are the rules. I'm hoping the poster reads this and takes her pics down. (or even delete that thread)

CaprineSun

Brilliant_Rock
Circe|1304993809|2916951 said:

I totally agree.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I couldn't wear sims because I would know they were fakes. I would think everyone else would suspect too. I just couldn't do it. To those who try to pass off sims as real here, you are really just fooling yourself because the rest of us don't care.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
*Twinkle*twinkle*|1305083960|2918110 said:

A poster here did exactly this not too long ago. :nono: I was not pleased and this poster knows it is against the rules. :nono: I chose not to post in the thread, but wonder if I should've hit the "report" button. I think it's VERY wrong to mislead people. Especially on a forum such as this where posting sims and "subtly" trying to pass it off as genuine is not welcomed.

I'm not against sims (would buy one myself), but the rules are the rules. I'm hoping the poster reads this and takes her pics down. (or even delete that thread)

:nono: :nono:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Ok, I'm not gonna lie - I'm dying to know who this is. I'm an old busy-body, what can I say?

Lew Lew

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Rules are rules, and yet this thread still exists. We're not even supposed to be talking about CZs. :confused:

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Lew Lew|1305123015|2918453 said:
Rules are rules, and yet this thread still exists. We're not even supposed to be talking about CZs. :confused:

I think there's a big difference between a philosophical discussion and "Oh, I like X brand! You should try it!" which is, I think what the rule is against. I know I, for one, would be very sad to see this thread go - it's very revealing about attitudes and assumptions, and as such, valuable.

lbbaber

Brilliant_Rock

Wow! The thread I read was older and I figured that it doesnt happen anymore (I kind of thought that is why they have the 'no discussing sims' rule). If it is happening now and we are all complementing someone who actually thinks she got one over on us and we are fools---then thats RUDE! :errrr: :nono: Not funny!!!

And for the record, its nothing special to be able to pass a fakie off in a photo...I dont see the point! Why bother?

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah I give people the benefit of the doubt and assume they are not lying if they post pictures of their "diamond" rings here. I mean what is the point? Maybe they like giving CZ wearers a bad name.

iugurl

Shiny_Rock
Until last weekend, I wore cz studs in my second hole. I recently got a pair of wonderful diamond hoops, and really wanted real studs to go with them! Luckily, my DH surprised me with a small pair of studs on Saturday. Unfortunately, on my right ear I have a 3rd hole, halfway in between my lobe and the top of my ear. I still have a teeny, tiny cz in that hole. I don't pretend it is real, but at the same time unless someone mentions my earrings, I am not going to randomly announce that 1 out of the 3 earrings are fake. I would love to find one .08ish ct stud, but have no idea where to find one extremely small stud.

I did find the "You ARE worth real diamonds" statement kind of odd. As if all women who wear cz's lack self confidence or self esteem and don't find themselves worthy of a diamond.

Some women A. don't have the funds for a diamond, but still like the look of czs B. have money but would rather spend extra $ on cars, electronics, other hobbies C. have plenty of money for all hobbies + diamonds but thinks the idea of spending thousands on a tiny rock is ridiculous. There is nothing wrong with any scenario. It does not mean that a person thinks themselves too worthless to spend money on a diamond. I know plenty of self-confident and wealthy woman/men who don't give a piece of poo about diamonds, but if walking by a rack of fake jewelry, would grab a $40 cz if they liked it.

As far as trying to pass off fakes as real, well I don't really care. Obviously I wouldn't want a guy lying to his fiance about the ring. But to acquaintances and friends, I don't really care. I don't see how it is anyone's business to know if anything is real or fake. I don't think it is my business to know if a person's breasts are real. I don't have the right to know if your look-a-like Tiffany ring, is really a Tiffany or recreated by some other jeweler (except on PS, it is kind of the whole point to tell where it is from, what are the specs etc). It's none of my business to know if your hair is still brown naturally or if you are dying it to cover up gray hair.

CaprineSun

Brilliant_Rock
junebug17|1305087090|2918178 said:

Ok, I'm not gonna lie - I'm dying to know who this is. I'm an old busy-body, what can I say?

I was going to message you, but not allowed on PS. Don't want to put this person's info out like that so I'm going to go ahead and report it. This thread reminded me of that fake posted.

ETA: I don't care to know about fakes/CZ's in real life, however, on a diamond forum such as this, posting a fake is sort of fraudulent & misleading.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
*Twinkle*twinkle*|1305140099|2918837 said:
junebug17|1305087090|2918178 said:

I was going to message you, but not allowed on PS. Don't want to put this person's info out like that so I'm going to go ahead and report it. This thread reminded me of that fake posted.

ETA: I don't care to know about fakes/CZ's in real life, however, on a diamond forum such as this, posting a fake is sort of fraudulent & misleading.

Oh, I didn't really expect you to tell me! Just admitting to be a tad curious. But it sounds like it's bothering you, so you probably should report it. People really shouldn't be posting fakes.

poshpepper

Ideal_Rock

Just out of curiosity :)) ... how did you know it was fake? Could you tell from the pic or did you see it posted somewhere else as a fake?

I don't see the point in trying to pass off fakes as real... I mean I don't annouce to the world that my studs are fakes, but if someone asks I will tell them they are not diamonds.

iota15

Brilliant_Rock
haha. I guess I understand why posting a fake on a diamond forum and receiving a ton of positive responses about the beautiful stone might give some people a kick. But when we're admiring people's pieces of jewelry, our automatic assumption is that people are honest about what the stones are. Regardless, I prefer to think of PS'ers (or just people in general) are good people and honest about what they have. I'd rather share in people's joy - than to deeply examine whether every SMTB thread contains a real diamond or not.

For those that are trying to "pass one" on us, think about it - even if we thought it were fake, unless it was so obviously not a diamond that we were concerned you were scammed, I wouldn't say anything about it. In any event, what may pass for real in pictures may not pass muster in real life. Even if no one else could tell, and I'm sure there are fakes being passed for real around me, the only person who has to be comfortable with a sim intended to be passed as a diamond is the person wearing it. I really could care less. I'll admire and ohh and ahh over a diamond, an aquamarine, a piece of glass. If it's beautiful, it's beautiful. But for me, I know I'll never value a sim. As pretty as it may be, I feel like it's disposible. Part of the charm of a diamond is the fact we had to give up other things we valued for it. It is valuable because we as a society has deemed it valuable. (Wearing one also happens to tinkle me pink as well.)

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
somethingshiny|1305080513|2918044 said:
Laila619|1305067052|2917835 said:

No banning! I have a honking diamonique asscher for my travels when I pretend like mimosas are my every day breakfast and I'm a rich and elegant lady!

Hey, I think I own that ring too! Is it the JR one? I wore it the first day I got it, and never again! :errrr:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results