shape
carat
color
clarity

Can you all show me examples of well cut pears?

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
That's @NKOTB 's ring, and I can vouch for it's gorgeousness!! Absolutely stunning in person, way better than her photos!

Thanks for posting the name and link behind this stunning ring! It is truly lovely.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The labeling scheme :bigsmile:

I personally really dislike when different parts of a stone have hugely different personalities. Which means that I look for stones that show even distributions of colour in the ASET, more than looking for “more red is good” - I would prefer a pear with lots of small virtual facets, lots of green in the ASET, uniformly patterned throughout than a pear with lots of red that’s clustered into one or two areas.

An example of extreme light return change - this stone would have a ton of red in the ASET, but it’s not to my taste at all

Much better to my eyes! Even if it has less red in the ASET!

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
The labeling scheme :bigsmile:

I personally really dislike when different parts of a stone have hugely different personalities. Which means that I look for stones that show even distributions of colour in the ASET, more than looking for “more red is good” - I would prefer a pear with lots of small virtual facets, lots of green in the ASET, uniformly patterned throughout than a pear with lots of red that’s clustered into one or two areas.

An example of extreme light return change - this stone would have a ton of red in the ASET, but it’s not to my taste at all

Much better to my eyes! Even if it has less red in the ASET!

I totally agree with this. I've been scrolling through Blue Nile and James Allen the past few weeks to try to train my eye about what I personally like and dislike in pears. What you have described is something I've noticed too and don't care for. I appreciate you putting it into words, sometimes we need someone else to say something that we've noticed to make it "legitimate." Know what I mean?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's @NKOTB 's ring, and I can vouch for it's gorgeousness!! Absolutely stunning in person, way better than her photos!

Thank you for letting us know whose ring it is. Yes, @NKOTB 's ring is stunning and divine!
LOVE LOVE LOVE.
It is pure pear-fection. :kiss2:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I personally really dislike when different parts of a stone have hugely different personalities

100% agree. This is what I was trying to say but you said it so much better.

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock
Total newbie opinion, but I thought this one was nice because it showed less of a break between crushed ice in the point and big facets in the curve. Maybe it matches the ”Best” aset imagery above?

Love this one!! Wow.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
@RunningwithScissors I really like pears, especially fat ones! I've kicked around the idea of getting a little pear and/or a little cushion to make a RHR one day. What is the ultimate size you are shooting for?

I love the one below and could see something like this as your final pear:

That is pretty!

I don't have an exact size for the final one in my mind, but somewhere in the 2.5-3 would be wonderful. For the right one the speaks to me I could go a little smaller. Probably not below 2 ct for the final. I'd love the first one to be at least 1.25, but if I could buy a 1.5 I'd be very happy.

And if I buy the first diamond from a vendor that allows me to go to a different shape when I trade up, then I may include emerald cuts as a possibility for my final diamond pendant (probably not for the first one though because ECs look small for their carat size.) I do loooove emerald cuts!

SandyK

Brilliant_Rock
That is pretty!

I don't have an exact size for the final one in my mind, but somewhere in the 2.5-3 would be wonderful. For the right one the speaks to me I could go a little smaller. Probably not below 2 ct for the final. I'd love the first one to be at least 1.25, but if I could buy a 1.5 I'd be very happy.

And if I buy the first diamond from a vendor that allows me to go to a different shape when I trade up, then I may include emerald cuts as a possibility for my final diamond pendant (probably not for the first one though because ECs look small for their carat size.) I do loooove emerald cuts!

I feel you on the step cut face up size! My first upgrade was a spready 1.6 ct oval, and it was basically the same face up size as my 3ct EC, haha. I almost got asscher studs instead of round brillants, but in the end the difference in face up size made that a no-go.

That's a fun idea to start with a pear and then potentially switch to a different shape later on down the line! That way you get to see how much you love the pear shape, and I think for places like Blue Nile it just matters how much you spend, so you are free to pick any other shape for your upgrade.

And random thought that pears look so good as dangle earrings - maybe one day you could get a second ~1.5ct pear, and then have some kind of convertible setting so you could also have your pears as dangles from your killer studs! :D I can't find any examples, but something like this on a *slightly* smaller scale, haha:

1623363242778.png

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Oh yeah @SandyK !! I like how you think!!!

I'd love to one day have two matching pears to create extensions with. Sigh. So many sparkly goals, so little time (or rather money!)

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
I wanted to get matching pear diamonds for earrings & i was not able to find online.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is my 3.01 F-SI1 pear that was purchased in 1996 way before PS. Yes, it has some crushed ice look, but it has a very nice girdle outline (teardrop shape) which would be graded under "shape appeal".
What you don't want are blocky pears with high shoulders, or one with bulge.

small P7110661c.jpg

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No expert on cut
But I have had a couple pears. Still have one.
I agree outline shape is important.
Crushed ice isn’t necessarily bad.
The all over pattern of crushed ice along with the bow tie /larger facets is where I find whether it’s attractive to me.
I find some pictures of this pattern to be more attractive than what I see in person, tho.
Which leads me to this old listing from DBL that’s lived in my head since.

856C31FC-F376-44AB-AF8A-A5DD2C18127F.jpeg

I wonder if ‘I’ would appreciate a more non traditional cut in a pear, in person.

Eager to see what you come up with!

Edited to add: I know this is not what OP specifically asked to see.

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
There is a twelve page PS thread on pears that might help provide some inspiration LINK

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
Not sure if you want examples of antique pears, but this pair of pears is truly stunning. I love big fat pears as opposed to skinny ones, and this pair….omg. I don’t know if someone would say the cuts are perfect, but I love the chunk and charm.

FBE51145-25EF-47A1-B5BC-539B17F2B94E.png

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I saw this and thought of you, gorgeous antique D color pear but no idea on the price….likely outside of your current budget but maybe one to keep an eye on and you never know if it would still be around in the future!

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Not sure if you want examples of antique pears, but this pair of pears is truly stunning. I love big fat pears as opposed to skinny ones, and this pair….omg. I don’t know if someone would say the cuts are perfect, but I love the chunk and charm.

FBE51145-25EF-47A1-B5BC-539B17F2B94E.png

Gorgeous! Love the faceting on the one on the right.

If I only had an extra 90K hanging around!

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
I saw this and thought of you, gorgeous antique D color pear but no idea on the price….likely outside of your current budget but maybe one to keep an eye on and you never know if it would still be around in the future!

Beautiful!

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous! Love the faceting on the one on the right.

If I only had an extra 90K hanging around!

Maybe Grace would split them up. It would be a relative bargain!

Omg, who is it that has the signature line about enabling? I need to add it to mine.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results