shape
carat
color
clarity

Can you all show me examples of well cut pears?

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
I am fascinated with pear cut diamonds. However, I feel like a total beginner when understanding this shape.

I'd like to buy a pear in the next few months for a solitaire pendant necklace.

Can you all help me understand what a well cut pear looks like within a $15K budget? I'm trying to train my eye for what to look for or to avoid in cut.

I'm not ready to buy at this moment, I need to look at examples first and learn. When I do buy, it must be from someplace that has an upgrade policy because $15K won't buy the size I would like to have eventually. (I need it to be no lower than G color, VS2 clarity. I'm okay with some fluorescence. I prefer medium to plump shapes, no elongated skinny ones.)

If you see some great examples out there, can you post them for me here? And I'd love to hear any tips or reasons why you like certain pears.

Thanks in advance!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm, not sure about whether you can get an upgrade policy on a pear, so I might strongly suggest getting the one you want for your permanent collection instead of a temporary one. Do you care if it's an antique or modern pear?

Honestly, finding a well cut one is not easy, so you mainly have to look when you are ready to buy. It seems like I saw a great one recently. I'll check my IG and see.

I do think pears are best suited for pendants, though!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jonathan can cut a nice one if you are willing to custom cut.

General info:

@cflutist has an impressive one in post #4:

Fancydiamond's thread might be interesting to you. She has a beautiful pear pendant in this thread but shows several setting examples, too. Pictures of hers starts on page 2:

I have seen some beautiful antique pears, also. But if you want colorless, you may have better luck with a modern pear or custom cut antique pear. If I see any other good ones, I'll post them!

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Jonathan can cut a nice one if you are willing to custom cut.

General info:

@cflutist has an impressive one in post #4:

Fancydiamond's thread might be interesting to you. She has a beautiful pear pendant in this thread but shows several setting examples, too. Pictures of hers starts on page 2:

I have seen some beautiful antique pears, also. But if you want colorless, you may have better luck with a modern pear or custom cut antique pear. If I see any other good ones, I'll post them!

Thank you Diamondseeker! This is a wealth of info and I appreciate it!

What about considering ones on Blue Nile? There must occasionally be a good ones like there are occasionally good RBs? I'm okay with a 2x dollar amount for an upgrade.

Last edited:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, BN and JA are worth looking at. Like most fancy shapes, you have to look through a lot but there are usually good ones here and there! You definitely do have to look at vendors that have videos, so those are really among your best options!

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock

PearCraze

Rough_Rock
:cry:, I sold my 1.82 ct D, VVS2 EX, EX pear for 11k last year. Wish I found you then! I can show you pics if it helps your search?

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I think this pear is so pretty. An H, but it has chunky faceting, a tiny culet and is a plump pear. I know it's not to everyone's taste, but it's so pretty. Disclaimer- I am an old cut buyer though.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Oh that one sounds like a beauty!

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
I think this pear is so pretty. An H, but it has chunky faceting, a tiny culet and is a plump pear. I know it's not to everyone's taste, but it's so pretty. Disclaimer- I am an old cut buyer though.

Very pretty!

dawnxcui

Shiny_Rock
Have you considered rose cut pears? I'm clearly biased towards them haha

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love antique pears with well defined even facets and no mush. Beautiful facet pattern. Plump and chunky pear-fection.

Here is a PSer's antique pear to die for so gorgeous. I am sorry I don't remember whose pear it is and I hope it is OK to share here. This, IMO, is the epitome of a beautifully cut antique pear. Unbelievably gorgeous. :love:

antiquepearring.jpg

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I prefer medium to plump shapes, no elongated skinny ones.)

If you see some great examples out there, can you post them for me here? And I'd love to hear any tips or reasons why you like certain pears.

Thanks in advance!

DW has a number of colored stone pears, but no diamond pears. I think the following likely holds true for both.

A length to width ratio of 1.5-1.75 is generally considered ideal. However DW has found that pears towards the higher end of this range look better as a pendant, whereas shorter pears look better as a ring.

It also seems that shorter pears have less color zoning concentrated at the point, and less of a problem with the dreaded bow tie. Presumably because shorter, plumper pears are closer in shape to rounds.

When we first started looking at pears I saved some charts that might be useful.

Pear 1 L-W.png

Pear 2 Ideal Cut for diamonds.jpg

ASET Comparisons

Pear Diamond Asset Comparison.png

ksluice

Brilliant_Rock
Total newbie opinion, but I thought this one was nice because it showed less of a break between crushed ice in the point and big facets in the curve. Maybe it matches the ”Best” aset imagery above?

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
I love antique pears with well defined even facets and no mush. Beautiful facet pattern. Plump and chunky pear-fection.

Here is a PSer's antique pear to die for so gorgeous. I am sorry I don't remember whose pear it is and I hope it is OK to share here. This, IMO, is the epitome of a beautifully cut antique pear. Unbelievably gorgeous. :love:

antiquepearring.jpg

Oh wow, that pear is luscious! I don't think I had seen an antique pear before, thank you for posting this.

What are some good places to look at antique pears? Either online or in person?

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
DW has a number of colored stone pears, but no diamond pears. I think the following likely holds true for both.

A length to width ratio of 1.5-1.75 is generally considered ideal. However DW has found that pears towards the higher end of this range look better as a pendant, whereas shorter pears look better as a ring.

It also seems that shorter pears have less color zoning concentrated at the point, and less of a problem with the dreaded bow tie. Presumably because shorter, plumper pears are closer in shape to rounds.

When we first started looking at pears I saved some charts that might be useful.

Pear 1 L-W.png

Pear 2 Ideal Cut for diamonds.jpg

ASET Comparisons

Pear Diamond Asset Comparison.png

Thank you, the chart and the ASET images are very helpful!

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Oh wow, that pear is luscious! I don't think I had seen an antique pear before, thank you for posting this.

Jewels by Grace gets some. So does Lang. I have a 2.06 antique pear. They are very different than a modern cut though- and definitely wouldn't be eligible for an upgrade policy.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm just here for the ride & learning. I don't know much about pears, but I also prefer the chunky facets and less mush. The reason I like less chevrons in princess cuts as well. Just not a fan of "crushed ice".

Biggest suggestion I would make is to get an ASET scope so that you can relate what you see with your eyes to how it looks in the ASET so you have an idea.

The 2 carat D that @diamondseeker2006 posted in post #6 above looked nice. I agree that bumping up color >G may be desirable if you are used to G in a round as fancy shapes do tend to show more color.

While I did like the chunky part of this stone, I did not like the mush. What properties does one look for to avoid that? Just visual examination?

Capture.PNG

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm just here for the ride & learning. I don't know much about pears, but I also prefer the chunky facets and less mush. The reason I like less chevrons in princess cuts as well. Just not a fan of "crushed ice".

Biggest suggestion I would make is to get an ASET scope so that you can relate what you see with your eyes to how it looks in the ASET so you have an idea.

The 2 carat D that @diamondseeker2006 posted in post #6 above looked nice. I agree that bumping up color >G may be desirable if you are used to G in a round as fancy shapes do tend to show more color.

While I did like the chunky part of this stone, I did not like the mush. What properties does one look for to avoid that? Just visual examination?

Capture.PNG

Agree about the mushy area. I think it is more visual than by the numbers but I too am not a pear expert. I don't think we can go by the numbers with fancy shapes though perhaps there are a few rules one can go by to narrow down the search.

It appears to be challenging (from my point of view and perhaps not based in reality) to find pears with no mush. I think it is easier to find uniform faceting (and chunkiness) with no mush in antique pears than modern ones.

And one other issue one can have with pears is a bow tie which is another deal breaker for me.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

All the usual antique diamond suspects :)

I would peruse Grace's site and contact Adam (Old World Diamonds) to speak to him personally as not everything is on his website. Tell him you are looking for an antique pear with no mush and all chunk and high color and see if he might have anything that fits the bill.
Lang Antiques. I got my antique pear dangles from them. Their pieces are gorgeous.

Then there is Instagram. Do an antique pear search and follow it and you might just find your HG pear. IG is a wonderful resource.

Platt boutique on IG has swoon worthy pieces.
Sincityfinds. Just to name a couple.
It will be hit or miss with who has what and that is why I would make a search and follow it on IG because that way all the contenders will pop up on your feed.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@RunningwithScissors I did a quick search and this came up. D color.

Screen Shot 2021-06-09 at 2.21.28 PM.png

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock

antiquepearring.jpg

That's @NKOTB 's ring, and I can vouch for it's gorgeousness!! Absolutely stunning in person, way better than her photos!

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The shape of the pear is another important consideration. Not a diamond, but this Tanzanite is my idea of a beautiful pear shape. The round end is a perfect semi-circle, and the sides are symmetrical and gently curve towards the point.

9.35ct Tanzanite Pear 3.jpeg

Pendants are viewed at a greater distance than rings so the L/W of 1.67 ensures the pear shape stands out.

9.35 Ct Tanzanite Pendant 3.jpg

This hot pink tourmaline has an L/W of 1.43. DW bought it for the color, but note to save weight it was cut with "shoulders" on the round end. To me these "shoulders are about the maximum tolerable for a beautiful pear shape.

1Pink Tourmaline 2 (2).jpg

The 1.43 L/W of this stone seems to work well both as a ring and a pendant.

2 Hot Pink Ringdant 1.jpg 2 Hot Pink Ringdant 11.jpg

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am fascinated with pear cut diamonds. However, I feel like a total beginner when understanding this shape.

I'd like to buy a pear in the next few months for a solitaire pendant necklace.

Can you all help me understand what a well cut pear looks like within a $15K budget? I'm trying to train my eye for what to look for or to avoid in cut.

I'm not ready to buy at this moment, I need to look at examples first and learn. When I do buy, it must be from someplace that has an upgrade policy because $15K won't buy the size I would like to have eventually. (I need it to be no lower than G color, VS2 clarity. I'm okay with some fluorescence. I prefer medium to plump shapes, no elongated skinny ones.)

Thanks in advance!

Quite frankly I think white diamond pears just don't look good. To me the difference between the smaller sparkles at the tip and the larger sparkles in the body is just too discordant. Antique cut white diamond pears - I've seen ones that look nice in still images but never one I liked in motion. I love pears but I stick with color gems. Pears look good like that.

elizat

Ideal_Rock

This is my old cut pear. It's 2.06.

It's OLD. My vendor estimated it was 150 or so years old. Loose, it looks like a lopsided egg!

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock

This is my old cut pear. It's 2.06.

It's OLD. My vendor estimated it was 150 or so years old. Loose, it looks like a lopsided egg!

That's gorgeous! And how cool to have such a piece of history.

Where did you find it? Did it take you awhile to look for one that you liked or did it just find you?

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
The shape of the pear is another important consideration. Not a diamond, but this Tanzanite is my idea of a beautiful pear shape. The round end is a perfect semi-circle, and the sides are symmetrical and gently curve towards the point.

9.35ct Tanzanite Pear 3.jpeg

Pendants are viewed at a greater distance than rings so the L/W of 1.67 ensures the pear shape stands out.

9.35 Ct Tanzanite Pendant 3.jpg

This hot pink tourmaline has an L/W of 1.43. DW bought it for the color, but note to save weight it was cut with "shoulders" on the round end. To me these "shoulders are about the maximum tolerable for a beautiful pear shape.

1Pink Tourmaline 2 (2).jpg

The 1.43 L/W of this stone seems to work well both as a ring and a pendant.

2 Hot Pink Ringdant 1.jpg 2 Hot Pink Ringdant 11.jpg

Beautiful colors on those! Thanks for sharing!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results