shape
carat
color
clarity

Can we find a PS-quality 1ct for $3000USD? (including plain WG setting)

cokitty

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Have y'all gone together to look at rings/stones in person? I am going to raise an issue that I think you may already be aware of, a lot of folks dont truly know how a 1ct well MRB diamond faces up. I wear studs that are well over 2cts each in my ears. I had a patient recently tell me that they had to be close to a carat each and how fun it was to see someone who wore nice sized studs without going overboard.
You are about to marry this woman, sit down with her and go over the situation. Tell her what you are comfortable spending at this point. You never know she may choose to contribute. One of our well known PS'ers wanted a 3ct center and so loaned her FH the money to buy her what she wanted rather than compromise. She is going to be your wife, include her in the decision making process.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are a good friend!!!!:appl:

farrahlyn

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
i'm surprised no one has suggested Blue Nile, they state they are Duty Free. (ETA - i am not an international buyer so i have zero experience in paying duty, VAT, etc)

Setting: (CAD$270.00)
https://www.bluenile.com/ca/build-y...old_19788?elem=img&track=product&vtype=sample

stones:

CAD$3,212 .80 J SI1 (I do worry it is a bit cloudy)
https://www.bluenile.com/ca/diamond...AMONDS&track=viewDiamondDetails&action=newTab

CAD$3163 .81CT J SI1
https://www.bluenile.com/ca/diamond...AMONDS&track=viewDiamondDetails&action=newTab

CAD$3523 .80 J VS1

CAD$3532 .80CT J VVS1

CAD$3222 .78 I SI1

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mrs b did recommend bn on page 1.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VERY nice setting!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like the setting. And I noticed it has that reverse taper I mentioned a few posts back. ;)2 It's also a 6-prong, the basket with side diamonds are a nice touch as well. Looks very upscale and classy IMO.

Can't wait to hear the details on the diamond.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:love::love:

absolutely LOVE the setting!!! :love::love::love: IDJ does it again!

Can i get details on the setting?

18k, tulip head, diamonds in the side of the head... wish I had more info but that’s all I have at the moment!

LOVE LOVE LOVE the setting @pearaffair !!! he's in great hands with IDJ!

I heartily agree!! Thanks to @PintoBean for the suggestion. IDJ really came through!

Beautiful setting, and so glad IDJ could make another customer happy!

SO HAPPY! And under budget!! $2900!

VERY nice setting!

I think it’s going to look so great.

I really like the setting. And I noticed it has that reverse taper I mentioned a few posts back. ;)2 It's also a 6-prong, the basket with side diamonds are a nice touch as well. Looks very upscale and classy IMO.

Can't wait to hear the details on the diamond.

You are smart to suggest that! It’s going to make that stone look huuuuuge!

Beautiful setting, looks to be Mark Morrell! IDJ are so great to work with, excited for him!

You’re right, it totally has that vibe!

Very very pleased with the assistance we received from Yekutiel at IDJ. Efficient, and spot on with our needs. Stayed in budget. And fast! Just wow.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OOooook. So he’s decided he actually wants four prong instead of six. The above awesome six prong was a random one that Yekutiel grabbed to show off the stone, and I love it but my friend doesn’t. SO. If you have a favourite 4-prong, be sure to let me know :)

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OOooook. So he’s decided he actually wants four prong instead of six. The above awesome six prong was a random one that Yekutiel grabbed to show off the stone, and I love it but my friend doesn’t. SO. If you have a favourite 4-prong, be sure to let me know :)

Bummer. That 6-prong was killer.

Do they have the same ring in a 4-prong? With the smaller diamond, I think he will be happy with that inverse taper.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is there a side view? I like integrated heads...

Oh good point. No side view :/
But I’m kind of hoping for a diamond collar?? Due to the diamond count listed?

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty setting! The side view can be seen partially in the video. I was very excited by the apparent carat weight but the 0.75 refers to the centre stone, darn!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@rockysalamander - Here’s a screenshot from the video. It looks integrated at two points per side. And @pearaffair, it appears to have a diamond collar!

9C34EE5E-7A93-4024-991B-84942C2E55AE.jpeg

Hey @rockysalamander, maybe I am overthinking this, but structurally is this ring pretty sound? I know diamonds don't weigh much but I am not a big fan of the way the shank Y's and then "tack welds" to the center donut portion. The welds (circled in blue) seem to be a likely fail point.

Additionally I think that lower piece is subject to fail as well (circled in green) due to the way it's carrying a cantilevered load. Again, the load it's supporting is light; however, I'm thinking downward pressure, etc.

Lastly I question how the ring will hold up when pressures are applied on each side and "squeezed together". I tried to represent this with the purple arrows. Again, it seems those other weak points previously circled and discussed above would start to potentially fail.

Hopefully I am just over-thinking it as I like the overall concept. I just don't care for the way they did the head.

7A93-4024-991B-84942C2E55AE_LI.jpg

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does he visit the US regularly? It sounds like the SO may be a US resident. Just seems logical to me to pick a killer stone online, have shipped to a trusted US family/friend and pop the question here and avoid all the international hassle and taxes.

While not a massive amount of money, it would be very helpful to boost his limited budget.

You’d still need to declare it at the border when you returned home and pay the applicable taxes/duties. Or risk being fined and having the ring confiscated. The only advantage you’d get is if you stayed more than 48 hours - you get the first $800 duty free at that point. $1600 if you get a nice border official who goes of book and let’s you combine your exemption with that of your travel companion. But you’d probably spend more than the savings you’d reap in travel costs.

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
She's a lucky lady and I think she'll be thrilled!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results