shape
carat
color
clarity

Can sometimes see tint in my 2.7 G ACA?

mtran89

Shiny_Rock
I have a 2.738 G ACA and have had it for about a month now. I have gotten to see it in a variety of different settings and noticed it looks tinted sometimes from the side view.

My question is, in some lighting I don’t see any color, but when I go inside my house I do see some tint. I do have warm lighting inside my house. Is it the lighting that is making it look yellow or is it the diamond? I don’t see the tint when I’m outside.

I know G is near colourless and not colorless. But I was wondering if the warm light is making it look tinted?

If I were to upgrade to a higher color, would I still see the tint in warm lighting? What type of lighting or setting will show the color of the diamond most accurately?

I absolutely love my diamond and it sparkles like crazy. I just don’t want to upgrade in the future and find that it still looks tinted inside my house just because of the lights.

I’m driving myself crazy constantly staring at it to see if I can see any tint.

Last edited:

munchee

Brilliant_Rock
Is the light in your house LED light?
I was told by WF SA that LED light show more tint than other lights. But however I also noticed that F&G still have tint, it all came down to whether you can accept that level of tint or not. And also which level of tint is acceptable for you. My mom only buy D&E color for rings, because she wants real colorless and she can see tint in F color. She almost return her ACA 2.8ctw F color studs because she thought F is too warm. But I don’t mind with H even if I can see tint in H. So it depends on your personal preference. If you want no tint at all I think its safe to get D/E, are you bothered with the tint in your G? Maybe try 1 color grade at a time and ask WF to hold your original stone for a week and see if you can accept F color? And if you don’t like it you still can get your original diamond back?

mtran89

Shiny_Rock
I do have LED lights in my house.
It doesn’t bother me too much to the point where I need to upgrade right away. But it’s noticeable where I would be open to upgrading if the opportunity came up and a stone became available for a good price. I would definitely be open to going down on clarity to a VS1/VS2 and getting a higher color like an F.

I know I dont want to sacrifice on size though, as I quickly got used to the size of my diamond and already started thinking to myself that I wouldn’t mind going bigger. Funny because at first I was scared it would be too big!

I signed up for the notifications on WF for an F color. Just don’t know if that will make a big enough of a difference. The price increase of a E would be too much.

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
What colour are your walls? I think someone mentioned they had cream coloured walls and her diamond shows tint indoors.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I were to upgrade to a higher color, would I still see the tint in warm lighting?
Even a D or E will show tint in a room with warm lighting or warm walls. Diamonds pick up color from their environment.

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
I have an F set in yellow gold and at times, in some lighting, it doesn't look any whiter than my M coloured stone, also set in yellow.

You may be very colour sensitive?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All diamonds reflect colors in their environment and the environment has a large effect on how we perceived color. If the diamond is surrounded by warm colors/yellow it will reflect that. Even a D will show some warmth in that kind of environment. Diamonds can be chameleons that way. They are mirrors reflecting back environment or clothing. "Ideal"cut stones look whiter face up because they're cut to return light.

Body color is different than reflected light. And judging color from a photograph is often not accurate. There is absolutely no substitute to seeing the diamonds in question in person.

You can eliminate tone in a diamond by choosing a few color grades higher but it will still reflect its environment. However, if you buy a D, it will be whiter compared to any other non D diamond in all environments. And if one is color sensitive and doesn't like seeing tint buy a (ideal cut) D for the best experience.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Girl, I know how you feel, and I've been on PS for...a while. I also own a K OEC, but for my MRB I wanted very white. So I've been there, and DONE that. See thread below. Saga is all I can say. But you're color sensitive, so there it is. Didn't break a law, just got expensive, wallet breaking taste. See if my thread can help you save a few dollars, and a LOT of time and headache. Good luck on your journey. =)2

mtran89

Shiny_Rock
What colour are your walls? I think someone mentioned they had cream coloured walls and her diamond shows tint indoors.

My walls are grey ☹️. No yellow on the walls. Just the lights are warm.

Girl, I know how you feel, and I've been on PS for...a while. I also own a K OEC, but for my MRB I wanted very white. So I've been there, and DONE that. See thread below. Saga is all I can say. But you're color sensitive, so there it is. Didn't break a law, just got expensive, wallet breaking taste. See if my thread can help you save a few dollars, and a LOT of time and headache. Good luck on your journey. =)2

Wow!! Your rings are so stunning!!

I’m glad to hear that I am not the only one! Maybe I am a bit color sensitive. Knowing it’s a G causes me to intentionally look for the color. Something in the colorless range would probably be more “mind clean” for me.

Maybe what I should do is be patient and wait for a higher color. Maybe F won’t be different enough from my current G.

But thank goodness for WF’s upgrade policy! It does give me peace of mind knowing that I do have options. Although it may be the cause for me being so picky and still continuously looking at diamonds even after purchasing this diamond.

I did speak to Liza and she said she could have a stone cut for me, but maybe I should just wait till one comes in the inventory? I’m in no rush. But the specs I’m looking for, I might be waiting a long time. Because I still want to keep the size of over 9mm and 2.7-2.99ct. I read on HPD that this size in a super ideal is quite rare.

Also, how does upgrading work with regards to taxes? Once the new stone is shipped to me in Canada, do I have the repay the full amount of taxes again on the new diamond?

Last edited:

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock

I’m glad to hear that I am not the only one! Maybe I am a bit color sensitive. Knowing it’s a G causes me to intentionally look for the color. Something in the colorless range would probably be more “mind clean” for me.

Maybe what I should do is be patient and wait for a higher color. Maybe F won’t be different enough from my current G.

But thank goodness for WF’s upgrade policy! It does give me peace of mind knowing that I do have options. Although it may be the cause for me being so picky and still continuously looking at diamonds even after purchasing this diamond.

I did speak to Liza and she said she could have a stone cut for me, but maybe I should just wait till one comes in the inventory? I’m in no rush. But the specs I’m looking for, I might be waiting a long time. Because I still want to keep the size of over 9mm and 2.7-2.99ct. I read on HPD that this size in a super ideal is quite rare.

Also, how does upgrading work with regards to taxes? Once the new stone is shipped to me in Canada, do I have the repay the full amount of taxes again on the new diamond?

You should only pay taxes on the price difference. Good luck with your search! PS is dangerous hahaha. Seeing all the gorgeous rings here makes one want them all hahaha.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I wouldn't just jump on any F you can find. You may not really know HOW color sensitive you are. Like you said, the F may not even be white enough for you. WF does have an E 2.5, and that would be "safer" than the F. Truly hard to say.

And with regard to taxes, you should ask WF directly about how the tax situation is handled. Do they refund you the full tax you already paid and charge you full tax on the new stone? Isn't there some Canadian use tax or other tax? What about Canadian specific taxes? You should check all that on your own Canadian taxing authority websites. You should not rely on anyone's opinion here unless he/she is a Canadian buyer that has gone through the process. And even then, I would verify all the information independently with the Canadian taxing authorities and rely on WF to help you through the process.

mtran89

Shiny_Rock
Thank you! I will verify with WF to see how upgrades work in regards to taxes.

Liza got back to me about custom cuts. They can cut the following

2.70-2.79ct F VS1 A Cut Above $59,975 USD
2.80-2.89ct F VS1 A Cut Above $69,750 USD

The current E 2.5 VS1 is $55,684

Do the prices for the custom cuts seem on the high side in comparison to diamonds already in inventory?

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you! I will verify with WF to see how upgrades work in regards to taxes.

Liza got back to me about custom cuts. They can cut the following

2.70-2.79ct F VS1 A Cut Above $59,975 USD
2.80-2.89ct F VS1 A Cut Above $69,750 USD

The current E 2.5 VS1 is $55,684

Do the prices for the custom cuts seem on the high side in comparison to diamonds already in inventory?

Maybe a little higher, but not hugely so. You are going up in carat weight. And it doesn't surprise me that it's higher. It's custom work. They need to find the rough and then cut it. Although for me, I wouldn't pay the for F VS1 2.8-2.89. That's too much for me.

And just sayin' not knowing how picky you are about cut, but I would not risk a custom cut because I discovered that I don't like EVERY super ideal, just because it is a super ideal. And I could tell the difference between the cut of one v another, and definitely have preferred one over another just by cut. I would be concerned I would not LOVE the cut of my custom cut.

mtran89

Shiny_Rock
Maybe a little higher, but not hugely so. You are going up in carat weight. And it doesn't surprise me that it's higher. It's custom work. They need to find the rough and then cut it. Although for me, I wouldn't pay the for F VS1 2.8-2.89. That's too much for me.

And just sayin' not knowing how picky you are about cut, but I would not risk a custom cut because I discovered that I don't like EVERY super ideal, just because it is a super ideal. And I could tell the difference between the cut of one v another, and definitely have preferred one over another just by cut. I would be concerned I would not LOVE the cut of my custom cut.

You're right. Too many variables with a custom cut and the price is too high for me to justify right now for just an increase in one color grade. I will just be patient and try to enjoy the stone have now. Need to remind myself be grateful for what I currently have. This upgrade policy is too dangerous!

I will think about upgrading in the future when a stone becomes available in inventory and I am able to actually see it. It would also be nice to be able to send my stone back and have a side by side comparison to actually see if there is enough of a difference.

Aji321

Rough_Rock
I think that lighting is such a huge factor diamond color appearance. I just purchased a pair of J diamonds for earrings, and, at first, thought they looked tinted. Then I compared them to my F ER, and the color looked identically warm. I walked through my entire house under every light we have, and all the diamonds looked like they had a warm tint. I never paid attention to the fact that all our lights are warm.

We have a ring-light that we can adjust the Kelvins on, and ran through the entire spectrum of color temps, and found that the F and J diamonds looked just as warm or cool as the light that shone on them.

The only way I feel the J body color is noticable face-up is in diffuse daytime lighting when the diamonds are dirty and dont sparkle as much.

mtran89

Shiny_Rock
I think that lighting is such a huge factor diamond color appearance. I just purchased a pair of J diamonds for earrings, and, at first, thought they looked tinted. Then I compared them to my F ER, and the color looked identically warm. I walked through my entire house under every light we have, and all the diamonds looked like they had a warm tint. I never paid attention to the fact that all our lights are warm.

We have a ring-light that we can adjust the Kelvins on, and ran through the entire spectrum of color temps, and found that the F and J diamonds looked just as warm or cool as the light that shone on them.

The only way I feel the J body color is noticable face-up is in diffuse daytime lighting when the diamonds are dirty and dont sparkle as much.

Oh this is really good to know! Makes me feel better knowing I’m not the only one experiencing this and that it might just be the lighting. Because to my eyes it does look colorless outside. And maybe going up a color grade won’t make that big of a difference. Not worth the price difference.

Venusara

Rough_Rock
I agree with everyone saying it depends on the lighting. My stone is d color and I can see a tint when I'm at home too because we use warm lighting as well. I also think that the price difference isn't worth it, especially if there's a tint regardless due to certain lighting conditions!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with everyone saying it depends on the lighting. My stone is d color and I can see a tint when I'm at home too because we use warm lighting as well. I also think that the price difference isn't worth it, especially if there's a tint regardless due to certain lighting conditions!

BINGO!!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lighting and surroundings make all the difference! Your diamond is beautiful!

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We stayed at our cabin for a few months when COVID first broke out. The walls are all yellow pine, typical cabin look. I couldn't even stand to wear my ring because my stone looked so yellow. And I am not color sensitive at all. The wall color and lighting make a huge difference.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
You're right. Too many variables with a custom cut and the price is too high for me to justify right now for just an increase in one color grade. I will just be patient and try to enjoy the stone have now. Need to remind myself be grateful for what I currently have. This upgrade policy is too dangerous!

I will think about upgrading in the future when a stone becomes available in inventory and I am able to actually see it. It would also be nice to be able to send my stone back and have a side by side comparison to actually see if there is enough of a difference.

Your current stone is drop dead gorgouse
This sounds a good plan
Enjoy her in the meantime
She's a beauty

Semy

Rough_Rock
I have D color earrings and they also look warm under certain lighting. However I never thought they are really tinted, because I know they are in D! If the earrings were G or below I might have the same doubt like you. I believe it is really mind-clean issue and also the lighting. I am color sensitive and do notice any tint well, but never got much bothered from G when it is face up.

Last edited:

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock

Ditto what LLJsmom said!

To the original poster:

Some of us are cursed with extreme color sensitivity. For the folks I know who have this condition, is it part genetic and part training. I work with fine nuances of color and value (value is the gradation in light to dark scale) every day for my job, so no surprise I can see it in my diamonds as well.

You may want to sit down with a diamond dealer and really test yourself. See many different loose stones at one sitting and see how much difference you can tell between them, and what warmth (if any) you are comfortable with.

For me, I just can't go below an E. Even Fs are too warm for me.

There is a lot of "generic wisdom" that doesn't apply to people like us who are true "super seers" of color. For example, well intentioned people will say that no-one can tell the difference between a D, E and F, face up in a setting. Not true for people with extreme color sensitivity.

Many people will claim "I'm color sensitive but my H...I...J...diamond looks very white." I'm sorry, but those people are NOT color sensitive.

True color sensitive souls see a good deal of warmth in a G. Period. Super ideals are no exception.

I test myself repeatedly and often, with face-up diamonds, some even set in yellow gold, hoping my color perception will wane as my eyesight gets fuzzy with age. But it hasn't, not yet at least.

Good luck. It is an expensive affliction!

Last edited:

mtran89

Shiny_Rock
I would love to see a D-E-F stone similar in size with mine in person to compare side by side. It would be a great comparison. There aren’t any stores where I’m from that carry anything like this.

Never knew I was color sensitive as I’ve had a diamond that was a G before and never noticed any tint. Although the diamond was much much smaller.

Definitely an expensive problem to have!

I will try to wait for an E or F stone at ~2.75ct. It will probably be awhile till something like this shows up in the inventory. The diamond journey continues!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results