shape
carat
color
clarity

Can someone provide a little design advice for my ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Dee, i will make those 4 "half-bezels" into the corners photoshop if that''s what you mean a bit later today, let me think of what else could be done...
You can also send me bmp file and i will post it.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PS - the happy hubby called just at the right moment and in addition to telling me what we''re having for dinner he also told me how to convert the file -- ain''t marriage wonderful! Thank you though for the offer, and I will be interested in seeing what those half-bezeled corners look like.

Here is the pic of another Kelege setting that I was considering. You can see a little better how the inner halo kind of "cups" around the diamond. You can also better see the diamonds on the inside of the halo.

Do you all think that having the inside of the halo shaped like this is possible at this stage? Would it be a MAJOR bit of work or not so major? Keep in mind I don''t want to touch the shape on the outside of the halo.

(I can feel the $$$ flowing out the door at an alarming rate, LOL... )

close up30.JPG

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/27/2006 2:17:48 PM
Author: Dee*Jay
PS - the happy hubby called just at the right moment and in addition to telling me what we''re having for dinner he also told me how to convert the file -- ain''t marriage wonderful! Thank you though for the offer, and I will be interested in seeing what those half-bezeled corners look like.

Here is the pic of another Kelege setting that I was considering. You can see a little better how the inner halo kind of ''cups'' around the diamond. You can also better see the diamonds on the inside of the halo.

Do you all think that having the inside of the halo shaped like this is possible at this stage? Would it be a MAJOR bit of work or not so major? Keep in mind I don''t want to touch the shape on the outside of the halo.

see here - the inner and outer shapes are still the same... both are less square than what you have. I think if you want to keep the shape on the outside you''re going to need to explain to him that you want a different shape on the inside than on the outside. Am I making sense here? I have these sets of cookie cutters that are graduated.... you can cut two circles or squares of different sizes and stack them.... you need a large square with a circle cut in the middle if you want NO corners around the stone. BTW I *really* love the shape of the halo in this pic but there are still corners a little bit... less, but not nonexistent.

What about a bezel? Some kind of creative bezel might fill it all in...

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
hi dee*jay. i am sorry you are upset with your ring. i would first like to say that it is just lovely. i am only commenting since you have asked for other''s opinions.

i went back to your original thread when you were selecting your setting. i reviewed the pictures and your ideas. by the time i got back to this thread you had posted pictures and that is a great help. i noticed what i first thought was engraving on the metal that is visible in the space. i now think that this is the diamonds that are being talked about. is this correct?

i see your point of wanting the space not there but i also heard that the diamonds afford some sparkle. it is hard to make a good judgment here since the pictures are magnified and not as would be seen in real life.

i feel your urgency of wanting to get it right and your willingness to pay the price to do just that. i think that after reading the text in your other thread you were afraid that you might not be happy with the outcome and who would not be scared after making such an investment of money and enthusiasm for the project.

i think that old miner (i hope i have that name right) has given you some good professional advice and the other board members their valued opinions. my suggestion would be to show the ring to local people who might give you an opinion that was based on the actual ring and not a magnified picture.

my opinion is that it can be made to address your concerns but if you live with it for a week or two letting the maker know that is your plan you may have a better idea which is the best way to go. either way you go you will come out with a great ring.

good luck to you with this project!
1.gif

bling*diva*

Ideal_Rock
~~This is soo unrelated to the topic, but Dee*Jay what size is the center stone in the ring pictured above?? I thought it was a cushion at first glance!!!
30.gif

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Crown - yes, you are right, those are diamonds that you see, and not engraving. I think you have a good idea about consulting with other jewelers on what might be done. I would feel a little bit bad though because I would be asking for their ideas to potentially then present to Kelege. But, if Kelege tells me to take a hike (which I suppose is possible) I would need someone else to work on the ring anyway. (Hate to get ahead of myself though.) Thank you for your responsive (calming!) post. I feel a bit ridiculous getting worked up over this, there are after all people starving in this world and I''m having a fit over a ring.
20.gif

bling*diva* - it''s my 3.37 ct round. Would love a cushion though. Hmmm... maybe that would solve my problem!
9.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
ok, well I really don''t have any bright idea''s but just wanted to chime in with moral support that hopefully kelege can do something to minimize the gaps. they would bug me to no end and since your anal picky like me i can only imagine how much they bug you. But, i do think there is light at the end of the tunnel and I think the curved prongs might work, i also really like Old Miner''s idea about adding a couple of tiny melee diamonds into the gaps.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
You know, I was not really bothered by the gaps until you posted that last pic Dee Jay. The inside of that halo just flows so nicely, and looks like it was made just for that diamond. The inside of the halo cups beautifylly around the center diamond In comparision, your setting looks as though a round has been put where a square shape should be. Sorry, I am sure this is not what you wanted to hear. I have no idea if your ring can be changed to this degree but I would certainly ask.

lim

Rough_Rock
your ring is very beautiful and the gaps do not bother me at all. i have seen many rounds (oec) put into square openings. i think lowering it alone would make a big visual difference

jayreneepea

Brilliant_Rock
I have a round diamond in a sqarish halo. I don''t have any gaps. There is a metal round ring around the inside that the girdle of the diamond sits right on top of. I''ll attach a picture although I''m not sure it will help you any.

berries4.jpg

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/27/2006 2:17:48 PM

Do you all think that having the inside of the halo shaped like this is possible at this stage? Would it be a MAJOR bit of work or not so major? Keep in mind I don't want to touch the shape on the outside of the halo.

Sorry Dee, i don't think it's possible without re-making the whole halo part.

Look at the repositioning of the prongs on the upper left corner please on the second picture.
What i did is separated 2 claws big time and aligned them with trapezoid sides which are decorating each corner of the halo. You will still see an air between them but at least the space will be geometrically sound. Hmm... i hope i am...
Anyway this will require re-making prongs only, please let me know if i need to make bigger photoshop or from another angle.
1.gif

DeeJHalo41.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the double prongs much more. And thsi would not require a major remake of the ring.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PS - Thank you for mocking up those prongs -- the magic of photoshop is just amazing!

Anyway, the double prongs... hmmm... I don''t know. I feel like I''m trading one gap for another, LOL.

Do you think the bezel type prongs from the Tiffany would be any better? Or would that be "too much"?

(I''m starting to feel a bit sick -- sickER!!! -- over this whole thing... !)

Tiffanybezelprong.jpg

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
WOW! Great Photoshop pics!

I agree, the double-prong spaced out look great! And seem to fix most of the problem....without having to re-make the halo or create any additional problems. I would see what a few other options look like...maybe different prongs or easier adjustments...

Perhaps you try this first (along with setting it a tiny tiny bit lower) and see how you like it...

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What to do with the gap between the claw prongs? Fill it in with metal? Or do you think it would be so small that you wouldn''t notice? Or maybe the prongs could start out as one piece and "split" higher up? I had a pic of something like this saved once; let me see if I can find it.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
I like the idea of little diamonds in those spaces. Shouldn''t Jack Kelege be able to come up with an idea???

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/27/2006 6:35:38 PM
Author: Sundial
Shouldn't Jack Kelege be able to come up with an idea???

That has occurred to me, LOL.

But given what he came up with in the first place I just want to be armed with some suggestions in case he isn't willing to put a lot of thought into changing it. That way if we come up with the "right" thing (or even a variety of different things) and I can make suggestions to him then he might be more willing to actually execute an alteration than if I just send it back and say I'm not happy. Period. I want him to know that I care very much about the ultimate design and end result, and that I've put thought into it.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/27/2006 5:59:14 PM
Author: Pricescope
Sorry Dee, i don''t think it''s possible without re-making the whole halo part.

Look at the repositioning of the prongs on the upper left corner please on the second picture.
What i did is separated 2 claws big time and aligned them with trapezoid sides which are decorating each corner of the halo. You will still see an air between them but at least the space will be geometrically sound. Hmm... i hope i am...
Anyway this will require re-making prongs only, please let me know if i need to make bigger photoshop or from another angle.
1.gif
Okay I *love* the way Irina set up the double prongs - it''s perfect imo!! however, it made me think of something else.... if you lower the stone, the edges of the round are going to hang over the sides of the halo.... I don''t think you should lower the stone anymore.... but maybe the difference of lowering it that 1mm or 1/2 mm won''t be too much? the sides of the stone are already close to that INSIDE edge on the sides and top and lowering it will close the gap in the corners but create some overhang on the sides and top....

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/27/2006 6:25:14 PM
PS - Thank you for mocking up those prongs -- the magic of photoshop is just amazing!

Anyway, the double prongs... hmmm... I don''t know. I feel like I''m trading one gap for another, LOL.

Do you think the bezel type prongs from the Tiffany would be any better? Or would that be ''too much''?

these really are tiny details to feel sick about..... do you love this ring? Now that you have it and its on your finger, do you love it in general? Will having the corner situation remedied make it so that this ring was your perfect ring that you''re in love with? I''m not getting a sense that you love this no matter how beautiful it is. Is it really just the corners? Am I reading you wrong?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/27/2006 6:56:49 PM
Author: Cehrabehra
Date: 12/27/2006 6:25:14 PM

Do you think the bezel type prongs from the Tiffany would be any better? Or would that be ''too much''?

these really are tiny details to feel sick about..... do you love this ring? Now that you have it and its on your finger, do you love it in general? Will having the corner situation remedied make it so that this ring was your perfect ring that you''re in love with? I''m not getting a sense that you love this no matter how beautiful it is. Is it really just the corners? Am I reading you wrong?

Cehra- I was thinking the same thing. Dee, how do you feel about the rest of the ring? if the gap is taken care of, do you LOVE everything else?

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cehra - Let me answer both of your last posts in one.

I think the round stone would fit inside the four flat sides of the square. If there was *any* overhang it would be absolutely miniscule.

To answer your other question; I'm sorry if I've given you (or anyone!) the impression that this is not an absolutely beautiful piece of jewelry, and if the corners made sense I belive that I really would love it. As of right now, I love everything BUT the corners. And also, I don't mean to imply that the corners are some sort of jewelry "train wreck"; it's just that they aren't perfect (in *my* opinion) and I think that getting them fixed now is my best chance for getting them fixed at all.

ETA: Mrs. S. - we must have been typing at the same time. YES! With the exception of the corners (and getting the traps milgrained, which is an easy thing to fix) I do love this ring. So sorry if I've given people the wrong idea!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Even though it''s a little hassle, I''d send the ring with your stone in it to Kelege...especially since the local person did a less than adequate job on those prongs!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/27/2006 7:01:51 PM
Cehra - Let me answer both of your last posts in one.

I think the round stone would fit inside the four flat sides of the square. If there was *any* overhang it would be absolutely miniscule.

To answer your other question; I''m sorry if I''ve given you (or anyone!) the impression that this is not an absolutely beautiful piece of jewelry, and if the corners made sense I belive that I really would love it. As of right now, I love everything BUT the corners. And also, I don''t mean to imply that the corners are some sort of jewelry ''train wreck''; it''s just that they aren''t perfect (in *my* opinion) and I think that getting them fixed now is my best chance for getting them fixed at all.

ETA: Mrs. S. - we must have been typing at the same time. YES! With the exception of the corners (and getting the traps milgrained, which is an easy thing to fix) I do love this ring. So sorry if I''ve given people the wrong idea!
You''ve not gievn me the impression that you don''t think it''s beautiful - it IS beautiful and you haven''t said anything to the contrary! What I haven''t seen is giddy in love babble over it.... maybe it is just the corners. Hey - I totally get the perfectionism thing LOL

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Dee, the diamond is lower now (and Cehra is right it will close the gap because the pavilion is wider close to the girdle) and the claws are aligned with "side trap-lines".
I really do not want to make those part-bezels, i do think it''s too much for this ring, but if you want me to do it i will.

DeeHaloPr5.jpg

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/27/2006 7:17:29 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Even though it''s a little hassle, I''d send the ring with your stone in it to Kelege...especially since the local person did a less than adequate job on those prongs!

I agree and I really do think Kelege will be able to come up with a solution that will make you entirely happy...

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/27/2006 8:13:57 PM
Author: Pricescope
Dee, the diamond is lower now (and Cehra is right it will close the gap because the pavilion is wider close to the girdle) and the claws are aligned with ''side trap-lines''.

I really do not want to make those part-bezels, i do think it''s too much for this ring, but if you want me to do it i will.

PS - The reason I didn''t think it would close the corner gaps is because I was looking at it straight on, and I though, geez, it won''t get any bigger *straight on* by getting it closer than it currently appears, but now I think I see what you mean. And I do agree about the bezels being a bit much. It just got so excited over the idea of filling up the corners there for a moment, LOL.

Mrs. S. - I am indeed going to insist that the stone go back to Kelege with the rest of the ring. Maybe if they see it in its current state they will see that I am not just entirely (although I admit *partially*!) crazy. I just can''t imagine this is what they meant it to look like. And who knows what sort of clever solution they will come up with, but I do think bigger/splt prongs will somehow be part of it.

And ultimately, as many of you have pointed out, it is indeed a beautiful ring even as is. So I am prepared (please god make this a true statement... ) to live with what Kelege comes up with in terms of an answer.

(But to hedge my bets I am taking it to another jeweler at lunch tomorrow to see what he has to say!
9.gif
)

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
well, it''s always good to explore all of your options. can''t wait to hear what the jeweler you take it to tomorrow has to say
1.gif

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My fingers are crossed that he will be like, oh, yah, this is what *i* would do to fix this thing. and somehow it will be the *perfect* *easy* *feasible* solution. (Uh huh, and maybe the elves and fairies can work on the ring overnight in my bathroom, LOL!)

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/27/2006 9:17:23 PM
My fingers are crossed that he will be like, oh, yah, this is what *i* would do to fix this thing. and somehow it will be the *perfect* *easy* *feasible* solution. (Uh huh, and maybe the elves and fairies can work on the ring overnight in my bathroom, LOL!)
Dee Jay - I think it can be done - if the top part - the halo is retooled to be more like in the pics I have below... the first is what you have... a square halo, a sqaure hole, a round stone. If you have a square halo with a ROUND hole - it will fit your diamond, and whatever you want to stick in there you can - diamond, metal, a totally different design - whatever. The only thing is that top to bottom and side to side you''re going to be kinda stuck with the limits you have and thus the amount you can drop it down.... unless he redoes the *entire* top which might not even be possible. Tell jack you want a ROUND HOLE in the square halo...

cbtrydj.jpg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, those double prongs really do look better!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results