shape
carat
color
clarity

Can I talk about CS of Victor Canera here?

Beatrice09

Rough_Rock
Hi all, I think this is the appropriate subforum to talk about customer service, if not I'm sorry and please let me know.

I'm happy about the quality of Victor's jewelry pieces and have ordered a few for family members, so this is only about the customer service that I received from Nicholas Abbondante with VC as I never talked to Victor directly. I was told Victor does not email customers.

I have a VC piece sent back for service in September. I purchased the shipping label directly on the Fedex website and sent the label to Nicholas. He said he couldn't drop the package off at Fedex (there's one right next to his office building and he did before) due to COVID and it's $15 for a single Fedex pickup. So I paid $15 but shortly knew that a pickup was $4 from a Fedex rep so I mentioned it to him and he said he wouldn't know how much because their Fedex bill didn't arrive yet.

I forgot about it and assumed he'd sent it back once he knew. It ended up that the $4 pickup fee was charged directly with my credit card not with them because I was the one who purchased the label from Fedex. I didn't notice this until today when I was organizing all the receipts for last year so I send an email to ask if he could fully refund me. And just seconds later I found out he sent $11 instead of $15 last year, which was the reason I thought he did not refund me. It's a tiny difference so I almost felt bad I just sent the email for my $4 lol, but his response was "we've done the accounting already for this".

I thought I deserve a more sincere sorry and explanation. It is their responsibility to let me know they weren't billed TBH if he just explained nicely and promised that they would take better care forward I wouldn't say another word. Although it doesn't seem very nice to let customer pay the fee they weren't supposed to no matter how small. But his next email is "We’ll have to charge you $30 for this because I had to leave my desk during Covid and take 20min to personally drop off your package with FedEx." Really?? It's so ridiculous because I literally have his email said he couldn't drop off back in September "I just want to let you know that the FedEx guy just came in to pick up your package." I was so upset and pointed out if he had said “accounting is done” then why you could bill more now? It’s obviously just an excuse to avoid issuing a refund, for just $4. His last email is "I’m asking that you do not contact us again please. I will be sending your emails to spam going forward."

Is it ok to treat your customer like this? I don't care about such a small amount but I care about the right principle of doing business, it's not the right way. I still love VC's jewelry pieces but it left me a bad taste in my month and I don't know what to do if my family ever needs to repair their VC jewelry in the future. Thank you for reading.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:-o

So did you pay a pick up fee or not? Hard for me to follow exactly what happened. If you did, then why wasnt it picked up (why
the charge for $30).

Beatrice09

Rough_Rock
:-o

So did you pay a pick up fee or not? Hard for me to follow exactly what happened. If you did, then why wasnt it picked up (why
the charge for $30).

Sorry for the long story lol
Fedex directly billed me a pick up fee already.
There's no reason for the $30 because Nicholas lied about leaving his desk to drop off the package. It was picked up.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m sorry you had a poor interaction with their customer service. I really am. He absolutely should have handled it better. Ideally, he should have refunded you the entire $15 once he had realized they weren’t billed for the pick up. Plus, it was petty of him to try and bill you for $30 a year later (after changing his story about said pick up). Having said that, I think it was silly for you to have emailed him to ask for a refund of $4...especially after a half a year had passed. That’s a cup off coffee. Is it annoying? Sure. But was it really worth all this? You were right in that you should have been refunded but when you ask for a $4 refund, 6 months later, you changed from a valued customer to a difficult customer in the blink of an eye. Again, I am sorry you had such a crappy experience but I’m not overly surprised at how this one ended.

ETA: I hope this will serve as a good lesson to any of their future customers. They’ll have to make sure their money is accounted for ASAP, if they hope to get it back.

Last edited:

munchee

Brilliant_Rock
I think this should be read by @Victor Canera and @Nicholas A

While Customer Service of VC have been in a lot of discussion in this forum. Some have great experiences and some are not. I think it remains to be something that VC team needs to work on. Myself have been having a great experience with VC team so far. Nothing to complain and nothing but praises. But I think this can be a concern for future customers and existing customers if we have after sales services needed in the future.

Last edited:

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Sounds like you don’t feel valued as a customer.

I agree with others - you asking for the $ back was unnecessary and allowed you to continue to feel mistreated. But Lying to a customer is not ok. I agree that VC should read this.

Beatrice09

Rough_Rock
I’m sorry you had a poor interaction with their customer service. I really am. He absolutely should have handled it better. Ideally, he should have refunded you the entire $15 once he had realized they weren’t billed for the pick up. Plus, it was petty of him to try and bill you for $30 a year later (after changing his story about said pick up). Having said that, I think it was silly for you to have emailed him to ask for a refund of $4...especially after a half a year had passed. That’s a cup off coffee. Is it annoying? Sure. But was it really worth all this? You were right in that you should have been refunded but when you ask for a $4 refund, 6 months later, you changed from a valued customer to a difficult customer in the blink of an eye. Again, I am sorry you had such a crappy experience but I’m not overly surprised at how this one ended.

Thank you Elle. You're absolutely right that it isn't worth it lol! I didn't think twice when I saw the $15 was still there as it didn't match my recorded shipping charges so I just emailed to ask if it could be fully refunded. If I had known it's only $4 I wouldn't have sent it I'm already kicking myself for sending the email so fast haha. But I figured it's not all bad to know because it's all in the details - if he could lie about such a small thing how could I continue to trust? He was nice when I make purchases before and I sent thousands of dollars checks to them with full trust. Now I don't know what to do if my family has after sales issues like repairs.

Beatrice09

Rough_Rock
Sounds like you don’t feel valued as a customer.

I agree with others - you asking for the $ back was unnecessary and allowed you to continue to feel mistreated. But Lying to a customer is not ok. I agree that VC should read this.

You're right, once I found out it's only $4 I kicked myself for sending the email so quick. I don't expect a reply from them anymore but the attitude was the thing that got me want to let it out here.

Reactions: caf

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Elle. You're absolutely right that it isn't worth it lol! I didn't think twice when I saw the $15 was still there as it didn't match my recorded shipping charges so I just emailed to ask if it could be fully refunded. If I had known it's only $4 I wouldn't have sent it I'm already kicking myself for sending the email so fast haha. But I figured it's not all bad to know because it's all in the details - if he could lie about such a small thing how could I continue to trust? He was nice when I make purchases before and I sent thousands of dollars checks to them with full trust. Now I don't know what to do if my family has after sales issues like repairs.

Oh I get it. There’s nothing I hate more than paying shipping fees. And to find out that you essentially paid them twice? That sucks! I’m glad you came to vent it out and I hope that the people at VC see this and reach out to you.

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
This reminds me of when my mom was shopping for a property last year and we found one that was pretty perfect with a friendly seller who liked us too. And the negotiations all broke down over a difference of $2000 and a request for 3 months extension. Words were exchanged and both parties walked away from the deal miffed. A pity... but it happens, things go sour just like that.

NicoleNeedsHelp

Brilliant_Rock
I’m so sorry about your experience. I assume it is just a miscommunication. I have worked with Victor and IMO his customer service is top notch. I worked with him during COVID and I have to say that he went out of his way several times for me. I personally feel as though Victor is always working as he has responded to my emails multiple times after hours. I would encourage you to give him another chance - he is a true, gentle, kind soul.

I also wanted to add that you can get in touch with Victor himself. He frequently will answer the phone at the office or you can email him directly.

For me, I try to remember that we are all human.

Last edited:

Beatrice09

Rough_Rock
Oh I get it. There’s nothing I hate more than paying shipping fees. And to find out that you essentially paid them twice? That sucks! I’m glad you came to vent it out and I hope that the people at VC see this and reach out to you.

You are so sweet Elle! All I want is to let it out and I truly appreciate your time reading and replying ;-) Helps me regain my mental health lol

lillibear

Rough_Rock
I have to disagree with those who say she shouldn’t have asked for her $4 back. She shouldn’t have had to ask! Business accounting needs to be exact and when you skim here and there that creates liability issues- including loss of reputation and being accused of theft. Her money should have been refunded promptly with an apology. And the request for the extra $30 is the most problematic part of the story.

Beatrice09

Rough_Rock
This reminds me of when my mom was shopping for a property last year and we found one that was pretty perfect with a friendly seller who liked us too. And the negotiations all broke down over a difference of $2000 and a request for 3 months extension. Words were exchanged and both parties walked away from the deal miffed. A pity... but it happens, things go sour just like that.

Thank you for sharing your story! Yeah sometimes it just happens like this. It's a pity but it's meant to be right? Gives us a chance to other wonderful things in life. I'm grateful that you let me know I'm not alone.

Beatrice09

Rough_Rock
I understand, its not the matter of $4 or $30 but the whole experience and mental health.

Thank you so much. It truly is. I really adore VC's craftsmanship and didn't expect that one day I might not be able to work with them due to CS.

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have to disagree with those who say she shouldn’t have asked for her $4 back. She shouldn’t have had to ask! Business accounting needs to be exact and when you skim here and there that creates liability issues- including loss of reputation and being accused of theft. Her money should have been refunded promptly with an apology. And the request for the extra $30 is the most problematic part of the story.

I’m saying she shouldn’t have asked for her own emotional well-being. Given the prior behavior, it is not unexpected that this response was what she got. I’m not defending VC or his employee. Of course she shouldn’t have been overcharged! And of course she should’ve been treated as a valued customer. But she wasn’t and why subject yourself to more poor customer service. Venting here was a good thing to do!

Nicholas A

Rough_Rock
Trade
@beatricezh

I think this was arising from your mis-understand of events.

You asked for service on your band, we obliged you free of charge which included re-sizing your ring and even re-doing the engraved message on your ring. We just ask that clients pick up the return shipping charges for maintenance service like this which was the case here.

When we quoted you on the cost of shipping, you didn’t feel our shipping costs were competitive. We offered you the opportunity to forward a FedEx label and do it that way. You were kind enough to do that but realized that a FedEx label doesn't include a driver to pick up a package which is an additional charge with FedEx. When the FedEx driver didn’t show up soon enough, I know you must have been anxious to get your band back, I personally took 30 minutes of my time to walk it down to FedEx during Covid shutdown and ship it out to you. I'm sorry if the customer service didn't meet your expectations.
The handling charge we charged for FedEx to pick up the shipment was $15. You requested that we refund you $11 of this because you said FedEx didn't pick up the package and we obliged and right away refunded you your requested amount. We provided the service you requested free of charge and even refunded you the amount you requested way back in September.

Last edited:

Beatrice09

Rough_Rock
I’m so sorry about your experience. I assume it is just a miscommunication. I have worked with Victor and IMO his customer service is top notch. I worked with him during COVID and I have to say that he went out of his way several times for me. I personally feel as though Victor is always working as he has responded to my emails multiple times after hours. I would encourage you to give him another chance - he is a true, gentle, kind soul.

I also wanted to add that you can get in touch with Victor himself. He frequently will answer the phone at the office or you can email him directly.

For me, I try to remember that we are all human.

Hi Nicole, I appreciate so much that you let me know because I have contacted them through the website tons of times since 2017 but never got directly to VC. Is he replying emails too? Others told me he's not. ;-)

Beatrice09

Rough_Rock

Thank you L, that's what left a bad taste in my mouth. ;-)

Beatrice09

Rough_Rock
@beatricezh

I think this was arising from your mis-understand of events.

You asked for service on your band, we obliged you free of charge which included re-sizing your ring and even re-doing the engraved message on your ring. We just ask that clients pick up the return shipping charges for maintenance service like this which was the case here.

When we quoted you on the cost of shipping, you didn’t feel our shipping costs were competitive. We offered you the opportunity to forward a FedEx label and do it that way. You were kind enough to do that but realized that a FedEx label doesn't include a driver to pick up a package which is an additional charge with FedEx. When the FedEx driver didn’t show up soon enough, I know you must have been anxious to get your band back, I personally took 30 minutes of my time to walk it down to FedEx and ship it out to you.
The handling charge we charged for FedEx to pick up the shipment was $15. You requested that we refund you $11 of this because you said FedEx didn't pick up the package and we obliged and right away refunded you your requested amount. We provided the service you requested free of charge and even refunded you the amount you requested way back in September.

Hi Nicolas,

Thank you for your reply. I understand that it's your stated warranty on your website that "we will do our utmost to repair it at minimal to no cost. We only ask that clients cover incoming and outgoing shipping charges." It's not a special treatment for me, when you examine the jewelry, if there's any reasonable additional fees, I'd be super super happy to pay. Although I greatly appreciate that Victor polished the band and reapplied the original engraving for free, it has nothing to do with how you treat the shipping charges and afterwards.

I do exactly as you directed as I paid my own incoming and outgoing shipping charges plus the pickup fee. I am sorry that I doubt you personally drop off the package for me and try to make the $30 request look better because: 1. I was billed the pickup fee directly from Fedex, if it's like you said the driver didn't show up so you drop it before the pickup could occur, the job would disappear in the driver's tool and there would be no fee; 2. you wrote me exactly these words "I just want to let you know that the FedEx guy just came in to pick up your package." at 4:46 pm that day while I was constantly talking to you that day and if you dropped off the package I believe you would kindly let me know you go beyond then to make me happy.

I told you that a Fedex representative said the pickup charge should be $4, not $15. Because I expect you to check again when your bill come in to refund me, maybe looking for a $4 charge would be easier to you. I did not say, please just refund me $11, not $15, I don't want the $4. To check whether you were billed exactly was not my responsibility. I paid and sent you the Fedex label, thus I was charged the pickup fee later.

All in all, mistakes happen. But how to treat those mistakes tells us a lot about a business. I'm sad that when you said "Please look elsewhere for jewelry going forward." Because I still appreciate VC's beautiful craftsmanship and I want to add more pieces in the future, but now I don't know what to do, and I don't know if I could still turn to you when my family needs your warranty and service.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel like this is not the full story. A generally pleasant working experience does not end like this.

If it is the full story... Honestly, if I was a vendor I also would say “please go away and never come back” to someone who asks for $4 months after an order is closed. The window for that quibble passed about four minutes after the package was picked up; this is really just completely ridiculous. The $30 PITA fee was quite clearly tongue in cheek, and I agree, probably not the wisest choice when dealing with a customer who feels that $4 warrants an email after half a year - a complaint on a public forum was an obvious consequence.

Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel like this is not the full story. A generally pleasant working experience does not end like this.

If it is the full story... Honestly, if I was a vendor I also would say “please go away and never come back” to someone who emails in asking for $4 months after an order is closed. The window for that quibble passed about four minutes after the package was picked up; this is really just completely ridiculous.

I'm glad I am not the only one who feels this way. I am extremely confused by this thread.

EDIT. Not only did OP ask for $4 refunded, he or she asked 6 months afterwards!

Beatrice09

Rough_Rock

If it is the full story... Honestly, if I was a vendor I also would say “please go away and never come back” to someone who emails in asking for $4 months after an order is closed. The window for that quibble passed about four minutes after the package was picked up; this is really just completely ridiculous. The $30 PITA fee was quite clearly tongue in cheek, and I agree, probably not the wisest choice when dealing with a customer who feels that $4 warrants an email after months of inactivity.

I'm glad I am not the only one who feels this way. I am extremely confused by this thread.

I am sorry you only see it simply as $4, I hope integrity is not only worth $4. If you read my post you'd know I send to ask for $15 refund super quick, later realized it was $4. I also regretted asking bc I thought it didn't worth the hassle as well. I didn't keep asking when the CS said not to contact them anymore.

However, what makes me want to let it out here is the attitude.

If a business didn't do the books good and owe their customer money, even 1 cent, they should have refunded the customer right away. If they didn't and the customer finds out before they do, even if it's too long afterwards, they should sincerely say sorry and improve their future act.

Also, I couldn't agree that the order closes right after it ships for any business lol

Beatrice09

Rough_Rock
I‘m sorry this couldn’t be worked out off-line. Not only are there two sides to every story, but usually three or four sides.

Thank you for your reply! I have the same feeling. If Nicholas was being nice I wouldn't post here. He replied at #21 and I responded at #24 if you're interested. If not I appreciate your time and comment a lot. ;-)

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am sorry you only see it simply as $4, maybe integrity is only worth $4 for you. If you read my post you'd know I send to ask for $15 refund super quick, later realized it was $4. I also regretted asking bc I thought it didn't worth the hassle as well. I didn't keep asking when the CS said not to contact them anymore.

However, what makes me want to let it out here is the attitude.

If a business didn't do the books good and own their customer money, even 1 cent, they should have refund the customer right away. If they didn't and the customer finds out before they do, even if it's too long afterwards, they should sincerely say sorry and improve their future act.

I honestly don't understand what you are saying here. Here is my understanding of events.

1. VC told you FedEx would be $15.
2. You said it would be $4.
3. They were wrong and you were right. You asked for a refund
4. They send you $11 (I assume not realizing you were separately charged with FedEx).
5. You realized (6 months later) they had sent you $11 instead of $15....which is a $4 difference.
6. VC, understandably frustrated at this point, tells you, "no. this matter is closed. I dropped this off for you myself in the middle of COVID and should be charging you. Go away".

Was their last email nice? No. But IMHO it was completely justified given your behavior (If I am understanding the story correctly).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results