shape
carat
color
clarity

Can I see some asschers with halos and no bezels...

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is such a thing, right?

I'm still going back and forth about my 1.52 asscher and what to do with it. It is a beautiful stone, and I love it so much, but the size deficiency really bothers me. I made a post on rocky talky. I go back and forth a lot (it is set in 4 prong solitare), and the last thing I decided was not to upgrade (would need to spend 12k) and just get another ring, an OEC around 2 carats. Two rings are better than one, amirite? :hand:

I also thought of adding side stones a la Leon Mege.

I'm not really into halos, but that may very well end up as my solution here. I feel very strongly I want no bezel. (I do like bezels but don't want this stone in a bezel).

So I am putting a call out for halo asschers.

The octagon halos are bezels, is thar correct? I seem to be a little confused between the two.

Thanks for any help. This is very much not a pressing issue. img_6674_0.jpg

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just sent Caysie an email. I may work with her, but I am unsure if she takes outside stones to set.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
whitewave|1489878693|4141669 said:
I just sent Caysie an email. I may work with her, but I am unsure if she takes outside stones to set.
She does.

Have you ever seen gypsy's old halo?

gypsy-halo-ring-ps-gtg-2012.jpg

retroglam

Rough_Rock
Caysie definitely takes outside stones. Her work is beautiful, so I'm sure she could create something that adds size and is stunning.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've just gone through the CVB thread, and I am really thinking she could help me figure it out. As a bonus, I get a work of art!

Niel, did Gypsy get a new halo?

Retroglam, I agree. Put into Caysie's hands, I think she could really solve all my problems.

Ds, Love those. Love yours and hathalove's also. (Or who am I confusing you with where Caysie did the 2++ asscher with side stones)

My choices are:
1) upgrade to a 2.2+ stone in 5 years after some kids get out of college (12k)

2)keep this stone that I love and let Caysie do her thing (less than 12k)

3) keep this ring and setting and get a 2+ carat OEC (but what would I do with 2 rings?) (another 12k)

4) be satisfied with what I have/first world problems (free)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
True, hathalove's was another SK, I believe. And yes, mine that Caysie did has the side french cuts. I adore my ring and wouldn't change it because I felt like it might be too big, but I think a halo is a great option for most asschers. I think you have some good options listed. A halo will make a huge difference in the size appearance of your stone, but it might be tempting to upgrade to over 2 cts since asschers face up on the smaller side. Tough decision!

Ha! I just realized I have a smaller asscher in a prong set halo! :lol:

_39186.jpg

redleaf

Rough_Rock
Have you considered maybe getting a cheapo repro ring of asscher with a halo and one with side stones, wearing them and seeing if that will satisfy you before you take the plunge? Though a new setting might scratch the itch for now, I would hate to see you spend the money and not ending up satisfied in the end. Especially if you really aren't that into halos. In my own search, I've done the "try to fix a diamond with a setting" and for me, it just didn't cut it (not that there's anything wrong with your diamond, it's lovely). It wasn't until I was able to get a stone in the size I wanted that I stopped wanting to change it, and I had to wait to do that. It's hard when you want to change something NOW. Good luck!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:lickout: how many asschers do you have?! Cool ring.

I'm headed over to instagram to see her photos.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
redleaf|1489887590|4141706 said:
Have you considered maybe getting a cheapo repro ring of asscher with a halo and one with side stones, wearing them and seeing if that will satisfy you before you take the plunge? Though a new setting might scratch the itch for now, I would hate to see you spend the money and not ending up satisfied in the end. Especially if you really aren't that into halos. In my own search, I've done the "try to fix a diamond with a setting" and for me, it just didn't cut it (not that there's anything wrong with your diamond, it's lovely). It wasn't until I was able to get a stone in the size I wanted that I stopped wanting to change it, and I had to wait to do that. It's hard when you want to change something NOW. Good luck!

I have. I have also conisdered getting an OEC mossy to try that one out too.

The reason I have been resisting doing a RING is because I see them for sale on loupe troop. I never cared for the idea of spending another 4k on a setting and then to break it down and sell separately or sell the whole thing....

Is this a PS thing where we are never satisfied?!? :saint:

My time frame would be to get started toward the end of the year at the soonest (bought a bunch of stuff on etsy lately in including a custom wall jewelry organizer for my closet).... so... wallet has to stop burning first... :shifty:

My resistance to upgrading is that I LOVE *this* stone. I don't know how it would work to send this one back in (blue nile), get a new one, decide after 28 days I like the old one better... etc... that is my fear. I wouldn't get it back.

I almost bought a 1.8 H instead of the 1.52 for 4k more, but I would probably be divorced if I spent one dime more. (BTW, hubby, surprise I just spent 12k on a ring... lol... took him aback... 16k would have killed him I think. Lol poor hubs.)

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To clarify, when I speak of bezels and halos, I have trouble imagining them on my asscher. This is my dream setting for a round but in white gold with a rose gold bezel: img_2359.jpg

I could go for something like this if it would look good for my stone: img_2357.jpg

Mine is a 1:03 L/W so its not an octavia obviously-- I imagine this would flow better on an octavia. (I'd have to check that L/W... ooh, I think my original post on PS has that plus crown angle... need to go look).

I also like the side stones here: img_2358.jpg

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And then I go back to-- now I have a big dressy ring and my stone got lost. That is why I would use Caysie, though. It seems like she would get what I am saying...

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
whitewave|1489889259|4141715 said:
And then I go back to-- now I have a big dressy ring and my stone got lost. That is why I would use Caysie, though. It seems like she would get what I am saying...

Can you just get side stones? That would fix both the finger coverage problem and the "cocktail ring" problem.

No to your question about gypsy I believe her ring was lost or stolen. That's why I said old ring.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My posts from yesterday didn't transfer, which is fine.

The gist is: the CVB thread was very helpful. The solitare to halo thread was very helpful. I decided over many hours over 2 days that yes, I want to start this journey with Caysie. I want to keep this stone and let her work her magic.

I texted with Caysie very briefly today and I while I started out saying my timeframe is to begin fall to winter, we turned out to have so many things in common immediately that I think is going to be a LOT easier than I anticipated. In less than ten text exchanges, we are already on the same page about what direction we are going in.

I mean, she could be my soul sister. We basically drive the same truck even!!! Where could I have found another giant one ton truck driving diamond loving smart woman?!?!? Oh and she lives 3 hours from my sister, in an area I am very familiar with and have been to often...

I don't think I have ever been so excited about working with anyone on anything before Caysie... I mean, I know this is "only" a diamond, but this experience already feels bigger than a woman making setting for a diamond. (Not to sound cheesy.... and not like I'm going to stalk her or anything lol)

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I want a big reveal with this one, so I'm only going to hint at what we are talking about: halos lol.

Yesterday, we texted about step cut halos. Turns out a pic I sent her as one inspiration was one of hers (howbotdat?)..

Next conversations I would like to discuss 3 stone and traditional halos.

I am really calling out for suggestions for inspirations: what would you want if you were me? I know we all have different tastes and I am completely open to that. I want to see what is out there and what designs people can come up with. So, I'll take hand drawings too! :wavey:

I was able to have a good discussion with DH (who is thankful he doesn't have to think about jewelry) last night telling him about asschers and why I bought one, and how I did it and how I lucked out getting a pretty good one buying blind at Blue Nile. I also explained the problems with asschers: the dirt and grime, how their weight is in their depth which makes them face up small but that depth is what gives them the hall of mirrors I love so much, etc. I told him about Caysie and how she drives a one ton truck (he smiled-- he knew the minute I said that I was having her make me something).

He gave his blessing on this project (which is nice to have but I certainly wasn't asking permission), but with him getting on board, I may be able to move my timeline up somewhat. My biggest question to Caysie is how busy she is.... waiting for reply. I have no intention to text bomb her- I want her and I will wait as long as it takes; I don't want to interrupt her day and when she makes my ring details, I want the same attention and lack of distractions as possible.

Inspirations welcome!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel exactly the same way about Caysie. I love her! I think she is amazingly gifted! I do think she has a lot of questions and a lot of actual orders, so she stays pretty swamped. I am patient because I know how busy she is, and I know she works long hours. But it is SO worth it in the end! I love my antique asscher ring so much, and if I could only figure out what I want, I'd have her reset my AVR, too!

I am excited for you, whitewave!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll text her again on Monday. I am pretty sure I know what I want now, but the problem is.... it's likely going to blow my budget. Still, I am open to the process and willing to see where it goes and what price tag I end up with. I want to see what my first choice would cost and then tweak from there. If I really want that, I'm sure we can work something out for timeframe, etc. I would even consider delaying a year if that would mean I would save up pennies to get "the one".

And by "knowing what I want" I mean general concept with a few specifics and how that will be implemented, I have no idea.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All I can say is, get what you truly will love. I spent more than intended on my sapphire ring. but I have no regrets. I adore my antique asscher setting, too. I consider it creating an heirloom when working with Caysie. So I encourage you to get what you really want!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DS! I value your opinion, especially since you own an asscher.

Can anyone who is interested give me one sentence thoughts on these three ideas? I will give mine too:

1) three stone setting.... asscher with side stones.

My thoughts: of course, gorgeous, but little chance for artistry to shine through. Looks "common", meaning I could have gone to Jared. An exception: this Leon Mege is obviously not common and is gorgeous, but too blingy for my tastes: IMG_2406.PNG

This is Caysie's design and is obviously perfect, but I have zero interest in copying another PS'ers ring: IMG_2390.jpg

2) halos with round stones: I think done right by a skilled halo-ist (lol new word), this could be perfect. I am not sure I would want to go full on deco, because while I love a deco look, it is certainly committing to it... How cool is this VC:

I don't have many halos with round stones pulled as inspiration, so I would say at this point I am leaning away from this idea... IMG_2403.jpg
And of course, look at Caysie's gorgeous work:
IMG_2380.jpg

3) step cut side stones or step cut halo.

Personally, I am not sure how I feel about step cut/step cut. I think if done right, it could be magnificent. It is probably the most expensive choice as I am going to assume that step cut traps, bgauettes, french cut or Carre cuts are expensive. What about the shank? Can you do a step cut/step cut with little surprising details on the basket or shank. Or do you leave it alone?

This Leon Mege is a ton of ring: at first I thought it was way too much but I keep going back to it. My eye is still drawn into the hall of mirrors. IMG_2370.PNG

Nearly all of Caysie's photos that I have found have round diamond centers, so I don't have any of hers to pull out for an asscher. As I mentioned before, I think this one of her rings is absolute perfection and I am sure she can adapt it to an asscher: IMG_2381.PNG

I also like sapphires, so I am toying with the idea of adding some measure of them, but again... here my budget is going up up up... (an interesting example, but I don't like rings with big long shoulders, reminds me of 80s shoulder pads) IMG_2412.PNG
IMG_2417.PNG

I think you can get the idea through these pics of ideas I am attracted to. I would do prongs and not bezels, though for the ones I posted with bezels.

Last edited:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How exciting for you!! I am sure Caysie will create an amazing piece for you.

For inspiration: my Asscher zircon is set in a bright cut set double sided halo and three sided shank. The setting is by Victor Canera: https://www.pricescope.com/communit...ped-in-diamond-sugar-by-victor-canera.203638/

IMG_1434.JPG

IMG_1435.JPG

IMG_1436.JPG

IMG_1437.JPG

Oh, thank you so much!!! That is gorgeous! Victor's rings are amazing. Your ring really tells me that I love the idea of colored stones somewhere. I am really attracted to color.

I would say my top three designers are (in no particular order): Victor, Leon and Caysie. I hope to work with Victor and Leon down the road.

Last edited:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for Linking that, Patty. I am going to look at it now...

PattyCo

Brilliant_Rock
I really love the last one with the sapphire halo. It seems very art deco. I think to keep the costs down, and in keeping with that era, synthetic sapphires might be an option. Ivy and Rose have a few gemstone halos that they might be able to customize for a square stone. They did that for me. It is the ring in my avatar.

http://ivyandrose.com/vintage-red-ruby-halo-diamond-semi-mount-engagement-ring-round-setting-14k-wg.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-BLUE-SAPPHIRE-SETTING-6-5MM-ROUND-SEMI-MOUNTING-1CT-RING-ART-DECO-HALO-/401295107281?hash=item5d6f0d64d1

And they have this one that is ready for an asscher.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SEMI-MOUNT-ROUND-PRINCESS-SETTING-DIAMOND-VINTAGE-RING-ASSCHER-CUSHION-RADIANT-/172587214693?hash=item282effe765

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will agree with you on Victor and Caysie, but there's a lot of history here of why some of us would not work with the other person you mentioned.

Some random setting thoughts:

I do not think a three stone will accomplish what you want. I also have no problem with someone doing my asscher setting...the design belongs to Caysie and she has the rights to remake it. That said, I think that design works better with an antique asscher because the setting design is from that period. My side french cuts are really small, and my diamond is 8.4mm tall. So the sides would really be smaller with a 1.5 center.

I don't like a baguette halo on a step cut center. It just looks like a massive cluster ring to me. I think the contrast of little rounds is more complementary in a halo for an asscher or EC.

PattyCo

Brilliant_Rock
Whitewave, I don't think e-mail info is allowed. Most use Loupetroop or Diamondbistro to exchange info. Usually by putting up an "ad" for the intended person.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, shoot. Its too late to delete it. I'll flag myself. Thanks.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_2540.jpg So now I am thinking thin micropave split shank set wide with no halo and a pretty basket.

Off to fnd examples of baskets... I know CVB has some pretty ones

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, I just contacted Caysie again and I'm pretty sure I am ready to move forward with this project.

Ideas:

Wide set thin split shank micropave
Scalloped and pave basket
Nicer prongs
Set a little higher than currently set..

I like how this one scallops down to show more diamond. I don't like the triangle prongs IMG_3149.jpg

I think a setting like this will meet my needs for increasing finger presence of my diamond, but not trying to make the diamond itself look bigger. It is currently not set in its final setting anyway... put it in a 4 prong solitare because I like solitares and I wanted to sink all my money into the stone. 5 years later, it's time to give this gal a proper home. (And, uuugh, yes, she needs a bath... soaking now).

IMG_3152.JPG

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results