shape
carat
color
clarity

Can I have your round diamond expertise please?

Runningmama

Shiny_Rock
I’m looking for a round diamond heavy on scintillation. I want a rainbow glitter bomb. I’ve had tons of ideal cuts with big flashes of fire, but I really want rainbow sparkles. I tried to research the cut parameters but it just keeps showing me ideal crown/pavilion ranges. I don’t care if it’s HPHT or CVD as long as it’s nice and clean. Looking for G/H if possible but trying to avoid brown undertone so if I need to go higher in color that’s fine. No blue nuance if possible.
2.5-3.2 carat is the sweet spot. Thank you, thank you so much in advance.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Runningmama

Shiny_Rock
I'd see if this Etsy seller would custom-cut you a jubilee-style diamond.

I actually looked into the jubilee on Deja’s recommendation but I just really want a sparkly RB. If I could find parameter recommendations I’d do a search, but literally everything goes back to ideal cut or gives broad specs that don’t narrow down how to maximize the sparkle.

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
Do you have photos/videos of what you are looking for? I think of rainbow fireworks with standard rounds. I don’t think it’s a good fit for rainbow glitter bomb.

Runningmama

Shiny_Rock
Do you have photos/videos of what you are looking for? I think of rainbow fireworks with standard rounds. I don’t think it’s a good fit for rainbow glitter bomb.

I will try to find a video. I know I’m not explaining it properly. I don’t want big flashes of fire or chunky arrows. I want the brilliant with skinny arrows that produce a lot of scintillation, slightly warm and not bright white. Does that make more sense?

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe this thread helps?

Runningmama

Shiny_Rock
Maybe this thread helps?

Yes! What Jax said is exactly what I’m looking for but with a larger stone.

643C8A27-E240-4705-8082-98E4EED2D20F.png

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
Glad it helped!
@yssie, is there any other advice you have for @Runningmama who’s also looking for a low-fire-but-high-glitter-bomb?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Runningmama I'm searching inventories for diamonds with proportions and angles geared towards a bit more fire.
Do you have a budget cap in mind?

Runningmama

Shiny_Rock
Of course! I'd be happy to share some expertise about round diamonds. Here are some key considerations when evaluating round diamonds:

1. **Cut Quality**: The cut of a round diamond has a significant impact on its brilliance and sparkle. Look for diamonds with excellent or ideal cut grades, as these are crafted to maximize light performance and beauty.

2. **Brilliance**: Round diamonds are prized for their exceptional brilliance, which refers to the white light reflected from the diamond's surface and interior. The ideal cut proportions help maximize brilliance by optimizing the diamond's ability to reflect light.

3. **Fire and Scintillation**: Fire refers to the colored light dispersed into spectral hues, while scintillation refers to the diamond's sparkle and pattern of light and dark areas when it moves. High-quality round diamonds exhibit a balanced combination of brilliance, fire, and scintillation.

4. **Color**: Color is another important factor to consider. Round diamonds are graded on a scale from D (colorless) to Z (light yellow or brown). The most popular choices for round diamonds are typically in the near-colorless range (G to J), as they appear white to the naked eye while offering good value.

5. **Clarity**: Clarity refers to the presence of internal or external imperfections, known as inclusions and blemishes, respectively. Round diamonds with higher clarity grades (such as VS2 or higher) are often preferred, as they have fewer visible flaws.

6. **Carat Weight**: Carat weight measures the size of the diamond. While larger carat weights are desirable, it's essential to balance size with other factors such as cut quality, color, and clarity to ensure optimal beauty and value.

7. **Certification**: When purchasing a round diamond, it's advisable to choose one that has been certified by a reputable gemological laboratory, such as the Gemological Institute of America (GIA) or the American Gem Society (AGS). A diamond certificate provides important information about the diamond's characteristics, ensuring transparency and confidence in your purchase.

8. **Budget**: Finally, consider your budget and prioritize the factors that matter most to you. Round diamonds come in a range of qualities and price points, so it's possible to find a beautiful diamond that fits your budget and preferences.

9. **Hand Dryer Accessories

By considering these factors and working with a reputable jeweler or diamond expert, you can find a round diamond that meets your needs and exceeds your expectations. If you have any specific questions or would like further assistance, feel free to ask!

Thank you for the self-serving tangent that was completely unhelpful.

Runningmama

Shiny_Rock
Runningmama I'm searching inventories for diamonds with proportions and angles geared towards a bit more fire.
Do you have a budget cap in mind?

Thank you. My ideal would be WF or any vendor with the Vatche U113, but I think I can ship an outside vendor to WF.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Thank you. My ideal would be WF or any vendor with the Vatche U113, but I think I can ship an outside vendor to WF.

I don't think WF will set customer provided diamonds, so you'll need to either purchase diamond + setting from WF or work with Vatche directly.

How do these look?

About $6600 after discount code:

About $4700 after discount code:

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
Since @Runningmama wants a glitter bomb, should we be searching for stones that have a random facet pattern like the one @yssie posted? Or do we want to look for skinny arrows?

@Runningmama, since you want a very specific light return pattern, are you open to checking out a loose stone in person before having it set? Would WF let her do that? At the very least, I suppose they can do a real time video.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Another one that looks promising...right around $3000.

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
That 3.39 sure has cute skinny arrows!

Runningmama

Shiny_Rock
I don't think WF will set customer provided diamonds, so you'll need to either purchase diamond + setting from WF or work with Vatche directly.

How do these look?

About $6600 after discount code:

About $4700 after discount code:

If I wanted an ideal cut with fat arrows I would literally snap these up in a second. I’m looking for skinny arrows, more of a regular brilliant if that makes sense??

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
If I wanted an ideal cut with fat arrows I would literally snap these up in a second. I’m looking for skinny arrows, more of a regular brilliant if that makes sense??

Something more like this with lowers reported at 80%, you mean?
Just under $440 after code

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
I’m shooting in the dark with this one … WF has nothing with a splintery random facet pattern. Where did @yssie find that example??? lol

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trying to find an MRB that performs like this feels like fitting a round penguin a square hole. Even if you find one with the light play you want, if it’s poorly cut it’s poorly cut and won’t look nice across a range of lighting or it will suffer in other respects of its performance. Why not search for a diamond designed to produce the light play you want?

Runningmama

Shiny_Rock
Trying to find an MRB that performs like this feels like fitting a round penguin a square hole. Even if you find one with the light play you want, if it’s poorly cut it’s poorly cut and won’t look nice across a range of lighting or it will suffer in other respects of its performance. Why not search for a diamond designed to produce the light play you want?

I have owned three ideal cut diamonds. Perfect proportions that would bring Tolkowsky himself to tears. And every time the only lighting it looked great under was bright white/LED. Lots of darkness in between big flashes of fire. So now I’m trying the opposite. The sparkliest diamond I ever saw had terrible specs.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I have owned three ideal cut diamonds. Perfect proportions that would bring Tolkowsky himself to tears. And every time the only lighting it looked great under was bright white/LED. Lots of darkness in between big flashes of fire. So now I’m trying the opposite. The sparkliest diamond I ever saw had terrible specs.

Well cut and proportioned 60/60 style cut, perhaps?

Runningmama

Shiny_Rock
I found the specs! Too bad the stone is nearly impossible to find. B03A2FD4-F876-4AC6-AE60-3761B0AFDA7C.png

The whole article is fascinating:

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I found the specs! Too bad the stone is nearly impossible to find. B03A2FD4-F876-4AC6-AE60-3761B0AFDA7C.png

The whole article is fascinating:

40.5/36/53 combo - a diamond bearing those proportions and angles will likely look pitch black in stronger direct lighting conditions as it disperses light into what our eyes would see as intense flashes of fire. Is that the opposite of what you're looking for (more white light return/brilliance with very rapid scintillation), if I'm correctly understanding your previous comments above?

Runningmama

Shiny_Rock
40.5/36/53 combo - a diamond bearing those proportions and angles will likely look pitch black in stronger direct lighting conditions as it disperses light into what our eyes would see as intense flashes of fire. Is that the opposite of what you're looking for (more white light return/brilliance with very rapid scintillation), if I'm correctly understanding your previous comments above?

I tried finding videos but not coming up with much. Would the same c/p with a larger (55-56) be less dark? I definitely want a lot of scintillation, less diamond goes dark with a few chunky rainbow flashes in sunlight. I live in an area where it’s always bright and sunny, and we are outside a lot. Ideal cuts look amazing under LED and incandescent light but awful outdoors in the natural light I’m frequently in. I’d like a diamond that continues to scintillate in sunlight, but I just can’t figure out the dream combo.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I tried finding videos but not coming up with much. Would the same c/p with a larger (55-56) be less dark? I definitely want a lot of scintillation, less diamond goes dark with a few chunky rainbow flashes in sunlight. I live in an area where it’s always bright and sunny, and we are outside a lot. Ideal cuts look amazing under LED and incandescent light but awful outdoors in the natural light I’m frequently in. I’d like a diamond that continues to scintillate in sunlight, but I just can’t figure out the dream combo.

I'm guessing a pavilion in the 40.8-41 range, a crown in the 32-34 range, and a table 57-60 with longer 80-85 lowers might be a better target for what you're wanting the diamond to accomplish.
Karl_K and Garry H (Cut Nut) can either of you provide some advice to Runningmama?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results