shape
carat
color
clarity

Can I get help finding side stones?

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
I ordered a couple 3/8ct Lightbox pendants for side stones in a 3 stone ring, but the overthinker in me just knows I can get better diamonds for a lower price. I’m admittedly not color sensitive, so I can go down to probably an I, maybe even a J as long as they’re eye clean and I would prefer ideal cut. It will also be in yellow gold which helps with being able to save on color. I’ve seen some rings that are proportioned at about 60% that I really liked. .25/.85/.25 or .3/1/.3. Somewhere in that ballpark. I plan on a 1ct center for my engagement ring and since this will be a RHR for my 40th (gift to myself) I don’t want it to outshine my e-ring, but it will probably also have a halo so it will be more of a presence. I’m a ring size 7.75 so I can’t do dainty because I love finger coverage.

I know some of you experts can search a LOT faster than me for good quality stones. I’ve done a fast skim through Ritani and saw some for as little as $100 each but I’ll admit I don’t know enough about the measurements to really make an informed decision.

Calling @DejaWiz because you’re amazing

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know these are higher color than you were intending, but I filtered on proportions and sorted by price, and these were among the cheapest ones that came up.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Hi, michellelynn9175!

Have a look at FD and see if anything jumps out at you. I've present some of the filters, but make adjustments as you see fit to widen or narrow the search results:

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
Hi, michellelynn9175!

Have a look at FD and see if anything jumps out at you. I've present some of the filters, but make adjustments as you see fit to widen or narrow the search results:

I narrowed it down to the carat weight I wanted and there was nothing under .4ct.

What parameters should I look for when searching as far as the measurements of the stone?

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
Pair them with this one, and you'd get the whole suite for barely over $1K.

Thank you so much for your help! I really want to stay with the warmer H-J range if possible, but those prices for the D are crazy! I don’t understand why they’re more affordable than a near colorless diamond. I knew I should’ve gone with my gut and researched more before placing my order. This just confirms I can do better for less.

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
Nevermind answering my redundant question about proportions @DejaWiz

I found a previous post where the ranges were outlined, so I’ll start there. If you or @Kim N stumble across a matching pair please let me know! I appreciate the help I’ve gotten so far from both of you!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
@DejaWiz and @Kim N what do you think of these 2?

Hi, michellelynn9175!
The PAs are too steep (over 40.9°) and is definitely causing some light leakage which is visible in the pavilion areas under the tables.

Try to stick to a PA range of 40.6-40.9° paired with a CA range of about 34-35° with a table between 54-58% for best chances of increased light return and performance.

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
Hi, michellelynn9175!
The PAs are too steep (over 40.9°) and is definitely causing some light leakage which is visible in the pavilion areas under the tables.

Try to stick to a PA range of 40.6-40.9° paired with a CA range of about 34-35° with a table between 54-58% for best chances of increased light return and performance.

Thank you for your guidance! I found a few more that may pair well together, except one outlier that lacks excellent polish. I was going to eliminate the .32 as well, but included it anyway since I'm far from an expert. Do you have any thoughts?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for your guidance! I found a few more that may pair well together, except one outlier that lacks excellent polish. I was going to eliminate the .32 as well, but included it anyway since I'm far from an expert. Do you have any thoughts?

Except for the last two (the optics look a bit off), I think they have great potential for side stones!
Which ones are you leaning towards the most?

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
Except for the last two (the optics look a bit off), I think they have great potential for side stones!
Which ones are you leaning towards the most?

If 4 & 5 are eliminated, my knee jerk reaction is to pair 2 & 3 together.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
If 4 & 5 are eliminated, my knee jerk reaction is to pair 2 & 3 together.

I think that is a great route to take!

As an alternative, I did find these two (FIC range proportions) that you can take a look at for consideration:

I also found these D colorless options that aren't too much higher in price, but that it up to you to see any value in the price points:

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
I think that is a great route to take!

As an alternative, I did find these two (FIC range proportions) that you can take a look at for consideration:

I also found these D colorless options that aren't too much higher in price, but that it up to you to see any value in the price points:

Thank you for your opinion, it does mean a lot to have an extra set of expert eyes. Your contributions to these threads, along with @Kim N is invaluable!

I know this sounds crazy, but I prefer the lower warmer colors as opposed to colorless. If I could find a matching pair of I's or J's I'd jump on them! I tried to look for H's with no luck too.

I was able to cancel the LB order I placed so I'm going to mill this over and browse to see if I can find any in a lower color. These are my top 2 for the time being!

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you get a corrected video for the 0.90? It looks like the wrong video and photo were uploaded.

I'm not liking the look of the 0.84 too much.

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
Can you get a corrected video for the 0.90? It looks like the wrong video and photo were uploaded.

I'm not liking the look of the 0.84 too much.

That’s so odd because I JUST watched the video before I posted the link. I really like the .91 you sent! It’s slightly out of my budget but not by much. You know how I like the warmer stones. I was hoping to go down to an H to stay close to the side stone color but that F is really tempting!

Side note: the G’s are on their way to me.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That’s so odd because I JUST watched the video before I posted the link. I really like the .91 you sent! It’s slightly out of my budget but not by much. You know how I like the warmer stones. I was hoping to go down to an H to stay close to the side stone color but that F is really tempting!

Side note: the G’s are on their way to me.

The sides will show less body color than the center stone due to their size, so it's very likely that they'll face up closer to a F than an H.

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
The sides will show less body color than the center stone due to their size, so it's very likely that they'll face up closer to a F than an H.

I thought about that too. I’m requesting an updated video for the .90 F/VS1

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
Considering proportions after seeing Redwoods-hiker-girl’s 3 stone on this thread:

Here’s a few smaller stones I found:

Any to eliminate or stand out as strong contenders? Also quite a bit more budget friendly.

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
LG533284789 and LG530213221 are my favorites!

I like those too! I’m trying to decide if the .90 is worth the extra $$$, and I keep going back to that .84 H because I love anything vanilla. So many decisions!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like those too! I’m trying to decide if the .90 is worth the extra $$$, and I keep going back to that .84 H because I love anything vanilla. So many decisions!

The 0.84 H isn't as tightly cut as the F or the G VVS2 stones. I think the performance of any of those 3 will be superior to the H.

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
The 0.84 H isn't as tightly cut as the F or the G VVS2 stones. I think the performance of any of those 3 will be superior to the H.

The H next to the G sides makes me a bit apprehensive as well. For an extra .07ct I’m not sure it’s worth it. I think I’ll go with either the .77 or the .90 but I’m still torn. Thanks for all your input!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful proportions and angles, although it is a blue nuance (Type IIb), giving it a faint blue/turquoise hue.
Wanted you to be aware in case it's something you're looking to avoid.

Whoa, totally overlooked that. Thank you! I’m not sure what to expect since it’s not something I’m familiar with. Pairing it with the side stones I purchased, and the setting being yellow gold, would you be hesitant?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results