shape
carat
color
clarity

Can anyone help me find an OEC?

CinqueTerre

Rough_Rock
Hello all! I would like to purchase an OEC diamond that is somewhere around 5 mm, performs well, and is eye clean, but I don't really know what I am looking at when I'm finding stones and their certs. I know that finding stones with a GIA or AGS cert is the best route when buying diamonds, but is that true for old cuts as well? I'd love to stay below $800, but if that's asking for too much with what I'm looking for, please let me know. If anyone could help I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A transitional, and a little bigger than you're looking for (in size & budget), but really beautiful (IMO)! If nothing else, you can see the different styles of old cuts compared to others posted, if you're not familiar with them (e.g., old mine vs. OEC vs. transitional).

https://loupetroop.com/listings/loose-stones-diamond/0-dot-75ct-n-slash-o-vs-transitional-diamond

I've bought from this person in the past, and she was lovely to deal with; however, she has it listed as a final sale (e.g., no returns). But her reputation is such that I'd (personally) be comfortable buying from her vs. an unknown (to me) on ebay because FK has a great eye.

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock
JoCoJenn|1473189001|4073782 said:
A transitional, and a little bigger than you're looking for (in size & budget), but really beautiful (IMO)! If nothing else, you can see the different styles of old cuts compared to others posted, if you're not familiar with them (e.g., old mine vs. OEC vs. transitional).

https://loupetroop.com/listings/loose-stones-diamond/0-dot-75ct-n-slash-o-vs-transitional-diamond

I've bought from this person in the past, and she was lovely to deal with; however, she has it listed as a final sale (e.g., no returns). But her reputation is such that I'd (personally) be comfortable buying from her vs. an unknown (to me) on ebay because FK has a great eye.

I like that stone and the faceting looks pretty.

I've bought two items from fortekitty and they were described quite well in her listings for what that's worth!

FightGravity

Shiny_Rock
Contact Grace at Jewels by Grace - there's nothing on her website that meets your exact criteria right now, but when I've been in touch with her in the past, she always seems to have lots of stones in that size range that are not on the site yet. They are often uncerted, but she is very honest and I trust her estimates, and I definitely trust she can find you what you are looking for, although it might be a warmer stone. I have a 5.2mm k/l vs transitional from her that was close to your budget and faces up beautifully white unless I wear MRB G studs next to it.

Closest to what you're looking for on the site right now:

A little over budget: http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/loose-diamonds/under-1-ct/53-old-european-cut-gia-m-vs2#.V88o3jRHb7o

A little under 5mm, and transitional cut instead of OEC: http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/loose-diamonds/under-1-ct/43-early-round-brilliant-transitional-cut-diamond-gia-h-s12#.V88pIzRHb7o

CinqueTerre

Rough_Rock
Oh my gosh, that transitional that FK has for sale is absolutely beautiful!! It makes me want to up my budget.

You all have pointed me in the direction of many stones that I had not yet found myself and I really thank you for taking the time to do that! I am about to go have a look at them all a little more closely and see what's what...

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Hi! Someone alerted me to this thread. I tried to respond to your email through LT, but yahoo keeps rejecting it, saying the email doesn't exist. Can you check and see if LT has the correct address?

CinqueTerre

Rough_Rock
Ahhhh, whoops! It's at gmail not yahoo. I'll try to change it now.

CinqueTerre

Rough_Rock
Annnd....it's changed! Thank you to whomever let you know as I was really hoping you'd get back to me. This community is awesome. :)

CinqueTerre

Rough_Rock
So, I went a little jewelry crazy and spent way more than I wanted to, but I also got way more than I had anticipated both quantity-wise and quality-wise, so I'm happy, haha! I purchased an absolutely gorgeous OEC ring from Loupe Troop last night and I am also going to be purchasing FK's transitional diamond that one of you lovely, lovely people pointed out. I went from having no beautiful diamonds to being on my way to having 2...I'm quite excited and I appreciate you all giving me some places to look.

For those interested:
The ring I purchased https://loupetroop.com/listings/rin...tier-flowery-fiery-76ct-5-dot-8mm-vs-oec-ring

For those who'd rather not click the link, here are a few pics:

resized_20160905_185846.jpg
side_view.jpg

Thanks again! :)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay! This is lovely, and honestly compared to what you were considering a few days ago this is so much nicer!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks beautiful! Congrats on your new ring and I agree that it is far nicer than the one you were considering! Please come back with hand shots once you receive it!

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
CinqueTerre|1473286914|4074167 said:
So, I went a little jewelry crazy and spent way more than I wanted to, but I also got way more than I had anticipated both quantity-wise and quality-wise, so I'm happy, haha! I purchased an absolutely gorgeous OEC ring from Loupe Troop last night and I am also going to be purchasing FK's transitional diamond that one of you lovely, lovely people pointed out. I went from having no beautiful diamonds to being on my way to having 2...I'm quite excited and I appreciate you all giving me some places to look.

For those interested:
The ring I purchased https://loupetroop.com/listings/rin...tier-flowery-fiery-76ct-5-dot-8mm-vs-oec-ring

For those who'd rather not click the link, here are a few pics:

resized_20160905_185846.jpg
side_view.jpg

Thanks again! :)

I LOVE that ring! And what a bargain at that price!!!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OH MY! :love: that's just gorgeous and what an absolute bargain. Can't wait to see hand shots and whatever you do with Fortekitty's transitional when you get it.

Q

Queenie60

Great find! It's a beautiful ring. Congratulations. :love: :love:

Hounddog

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow! Both your purchases are fabulous, enjoy wearing them.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The ring you got is GORGEOUS! I'm so glad it's gone to a PS'er because I was looking long and hard at it and came so close to buying it. I'd love to see hand shots! Congrats!!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So glad this went to a PSer! I seriously considered that ring--it's beautiful. And the loose stone is a beauty as well. Congrats on both!

CinqueTerre

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for all of the compliments! I am loving the ring and its beautiful performance in all of the different lights. Does anyone have any ideas about time period/possible age of the setting? Dawn said it was originally purchased from an antique jewler and I am so curious! Also, I have to size it down about 3/4 of a size, but am concerned; I just moved to a new city (Atlanta) and don't have a jeweler here yet. I'm meeting with one whose website said he dealt in antiques so hopefully he'll be able to size it or at the very least add sizing beads. Do you all think I should just do sizing beads from the beginning in order to not risk the integrity of the band? It's said to be solid and in great shape, but I would hate for the shank to get ruined. Thoughts?

As far as FK's transitional goes, I will be having it set in a rose gold bangle bracelet with a milgrained bezel. I also asked to have some wheat engravings on the sides of the bezel to complement what's going on in the ring. Plus, I think that engraving will look beautiful on rose gold.

Here are some videos if you'd like:
https://vimeo.com/182245846
https://vimeo.com/182246656

And here are some pictures! :) (PS: I was at a dead stop in ATL traffic when one was taken. As pretty as it is, I don't drive while taking pictures!

20160908_195044.jpg 20160908_194633.jpg
20160908_193748.jpg 20160908_194127.jpg

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous! If you ever change your mind and sell it, put me on #1 of your speed dial ;-)

Great buy!

CinqueTerre

Rough_Rock
pearaffair|1473647324|4075374 said:
Gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous! If you ever change your mind and sell it, put me on #1 of your speed dial ;-)

Great buy!

:D Hahah, thanks!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ermagherd :love: it's fabulous!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results