shape
carat
color
clarity

Can anyone help date this ring?

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This looks like an Old European cut diamond(1890's-1930) set into a mid-century(1950's-60s)setting. Is there a marking in the band? It might be 14k or even platinum.
Very nice!

remyafm

Rough_Rock
This looks like an Old European cut diamond(1890's-1930) set into a mid-century(1950's-60s)setting. Is there a marking in the band? It might be 14k or even platinum.
Very nice!
20191014_210120.jpg

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love that ring! agree that it looks like an OEC (with lovely faceting) set in a newer retro-style setting. It's really really pretty and looks great on your hand. If you feel so inclined, please post lots more pictures of it! Is it your engagement ring? If so, congratulations!

remyafm

Rough_Rock
Love that ring! agree that it looks like an OEC (with lovely faceting) set in a newer retro-style setting. It's really really pretty and looks great on your hand. If you feel so inclined, please post lots more pictures of it! Is it your engagement ring? If so, congratulations!

Yes, this is my engagement ring...my bf showed it to me but my sister is getting married soon and I asked him not to propose before that. He wanted to make sure I like it...totally an understatement because I freakin LOVE it. I didnt want to take it off my hand... this ring makes a girl really want to get engaged! I've never been into diamond rings BUT I'm very into this ring!

I'm thinking customized wedding band

headlight

Ideal_Rock
It’s gorgeous! I’m sure you are counting the moments until it’s your turn. But what a wonderful sister you are to not rain on her parade, as they say. Please come back and post photos when it’s official!!!

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, this is my engagement ring...my bf showed it to me but my sister is getting married soon and I asked him not to propose before that. He wanted to make sure I like it...totally an understatement because I freakin LOVE it. I didnt want to take it off my hand... this ring makes a girl really want to get engaged! I've never been into diamond rings BUT I'm very into this ring!

Ok. I am coming over from reddit. I am in love with this ring. Now that you have a date range and the setting appears to be a slightly newer one then the OEC. You definitely need the appraisal and insurance.

I would get a gemstone band custom made to follow the bottom of the ring. Depends on how big you want to go with the bling but they could be enhancement bands on the top and bottom. This looks like such a fun project. Please take a look at CVB inspired to see these sort of chevron gemstone bands that I really think could work with your setting.

I know you are just getting engaged and not at the ‘buying’ band stage now but just to get an idea of the possibilities. It really is a gorgeous diamond and setting.

SouthernElle

Shiny_Rock
It’s stunning. I have nothing helpful to add. :lol-2: It’s so unique and really just amazing. I also love your nails.:kiss2:

And also so sweet that you want to wait til after the wedding. Not many people are that thoughtful.

remyafm

Rough_Rock
Ok. I am coming over from reddit. I am in love with this ring. Now that you have a date range and the setting appears to be a slightly newer one then the OEC. You definitely need the appraisal and insurance.

I would get a gemstone band custom made to follow the bottom of the ring. Depends on how big you want to go with the bling but they could be enhancement bands on the top and bottom. This looks like such a fun project. Please take a look at CVB inspired to see these sort of chevron gemstone bands that I really think could work with your setting.

I know you are just getting engaged and not at the ‘buying’ band stage now but just to get an idea of the possibilities. It really is a gorgeous diamond and setting.

I will DEFINITELY check it out. I really want to start designing my wedding band and I started all of this partly to get some ideas!
I feel so clueless in the realm of jewelry and it's so helpful to get suggestions.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
congradulations on your secrete engagement
im so happy you love his nanna's ring
it really is beautiful
it looks gorgeous on your hand
i hope you get to secretly try it often to your heart's content till its offical

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think when you find the right one, you get into rings for sure! How thoughtful you are to hold off til after your sister’s big day. You must have some next level patience tho waiting to wear it now that you’ve seen it.
While you do wait, get your bf to take it to a good jeweller (one that knows vintage jewellery and has their own bench preferably) to check the prongs are secure, shank doesn’t have any cracks etc. Make sure he resists any suggestions from them to do anything to it other than checking it. It’s so unusual and pretty, I’d hate to see anyone fiddle with it and ruin it. They look good in that first pic but it’s good to be sure that you won’t have to send it off for any maintenance when what you want to be doing is wearing it and enjoying being engaged.
Definitely customised ring - maybe something like CVB’s Afterglow band? The asymmetric and neat claw prongs is reminiscent of what you’ve got going on in your ring (especially the main diamond basket). I’m sure she could customise the curve to work with your ring and match to the side stones too

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Looks like a really beautiful OEC!!! I would get it serviced as well, it could use a good cleaning too I am sure but only have it done at a trusted jeweler. I would also get an appraisal by one recommended here and get it insured. You can also clean it at home, there are many threads you can find on that here. Huge congratulations!!! I could not resist wearing the ring, well patience is a virtue they say and you definitely have it!

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I agree. I also think the little diamonds look like “single cuts”. So I’m guessing a newer setting (1940s onwards) with diamonds from the early 1900s. Your Old European Cut has very pretty faceting, this is a beautiful ring.

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh, my goodness! How gorgeous! Definitely drop it off at a trusted jeweler during this “secret” time and have them tighten prongs and give it a good spa treatment. :cool2:

About the wedding band—my advice is to take your time and try on a variety of bands (and take pictures!). You can also buy sterling or stainless “play” bands for $10 or so in order to live with the look for a bit to see if you want to invest. Custom is always an option, of course. You can check out how a chevron band might fit — they seem to be very popular right now.

Congrats on your engagement! We’d love to see more pictures as you learn more about the ring!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful ring! Quite dreamy, soft and feminine. Congrats on your upcoming engagement! Come back with more pics when you get engaged!

remyafm

Rough_Rock
congradulations on your secrete engagement
im so happy you love his nanna's ring
it really is beautiful
it looks gorgeous on your hand
i hope you get to secretly try it often to your heart's content till its offical

To everyone here: thank you so much for the support and the great advice! I will definitely be doing all the recommendations on here

Also, I do get to secretly wear it when I want :)
My boyfriend hid it and I know where he hides everything so every night the past week I've been secretly trying it on in our bathroom... :p

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results