shape
carat
color
clarity

Can a mounted diamond be appraised?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

stags14

Rough_Rock
I am about to purchase a diamond from WhiteFlash. Because of my dealings with a crooked vendor (click HERE to read about it), I am in somewhat of a time crunch. These are my options:

1) I am going to call around this morning to see if I can find a local B&M to mount a loose stone quickly for me. I also need to schedule an appraisal. I am assuming it is much easier to appraise a loose stone. Is that a correct assumption?

2) Buy the diamond mounted from WhiteFlash. If I buy a mounted diamond, can I still have it appraised properly?

Thanks!

Stags

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It depends on what you expect out of your appraisal?

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/11/2006 7:20:14 AM
Author:stags14
If I buy a mounted diamond, can I still have it appraised properly?
That might be the sensitive term. As per Julie, depending on what you want, all would agree that a loose diamond can be appraised better, but given WF's reputation, and "customary" standards for appraising, having it appraised mounted is generally sufficient, I think.

Hopefully your local appraiser will know about the general high quality of good available here, and can appraise accordingly. If he charges by the hour, and he doesn't know Pricescope, you could find value in paying for a directed 10 minutes of his or her time to this site...ideally...in advance of your session.

See here too for more ideas.

stags14

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/11/2006 7:50:35 AM
Author: Regular Guy

That might be the sensitive term. As per Julie, depending on what you want, all would agree that a loose diamond can be appraised better, but given WF''s reputation, and ''customary'' standards for appraising, having it appraised mounted is generally sufficient, I think.

Hopefully your local appraiser will know about the general high quality of good available here, and can appraise accordingly. If he charges by the hour, and he doesn''t know Pricescope, you could find value in paying for a directed 10 minutes of his or her time to this site...ideally...in advance of your session.

See here too for more ideas.

I guess the main purpose of the appraisal is to verify that the stone matches the cert. I want to verify I am getting what I paid for. Should I be looking for more about of my appraisal in your opinion?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
wf is extremely reputable. you can have complete confidence that you are getting what you paid for. if you just want to verify that the stone matches the grading report, it could be as easy as getting a loupe and checking for the aca inscription (if it is an aca) and or matching the inclusions in the stone with those plotted.
also, if you are going to have the stone set locally, the people there will make note of any inclusions/inscriptions/identifying characteristics before accepting the stone to be set. you need to make sure that you verify at that time that you agree with what they are seeing. they will supply a microscope for you to be able to see them easily. when you go to pick the finished ring up, you will verify again the agreed upon charactaristics to make sure you have the right diamond.

you don''t necessarily need an appraisal, especially if you just want to verify.
do what you are comfortable with.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are probably three basic questions an appraiser is trained to help you with:

1. what is it?
2. is it any good/any problems?
3. how much does it cost to replace?

1, which is the question you are after, is easily answered (just do as belle said.)

for 2 and 3, the appraiser can assess that with stone in the setting

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Most of us do appraisals on mounted stones regularly. Matching a stone to the grading report after mounting is usually not a problem and many dealers, including WF, can supply a considerable amount of additional data that the appraiser can use as part of the description for replacement.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

stags14

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/11/2006 8:23:10 AM
Author: belle
if you just want to verify that the stone matches the grading report, it could be as easy as getting a loupe and checking for the aca inscription (if it is an aca) and or matching the inclusions in the stone with those plotted.

you don''t necessarily need an appraisal, especially if you just want to verify.
What is an ACA inscription?

Here is the diamond. I know it is not perfect, but that was not what I was striving for. What are your thoughts on thos stone?

http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/round-ideal-cut-cut-diamond-175738.htm

stags14

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/11/2006 8:38:00 AM
Author: denverappraiser
Most of us do appraisals on mounted stones regularly. Matching a stone to the grading report after mounting is usually not a problem and many dealers, including WF, can supply a considerable amount of additional data that the appraiser can use as part of the description for replacement.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Thanks for the info. I just need to find a good appraiser in Buffalo, NY.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/11/2006 9:18:10 AM
Author: stags14

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
If the appraisers list here is too much of a hardship, here''s another probably bigger list. I don''t see Buffalo, but maybe one of these folks is closer.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/11/2006 9:09:13 AM

Date: 12/11/2006 8:23:10 AM
Author: belle
if you just want to verify that the stone matches the grading report, it could be as easy as getting a loupe and checking for the aca inscription (if it is an aca) and or matching the inclusions in the stone with those plotted.

What is an ACA inscription?

Here is the diamond. I know it is not perfect, but that was not what I was striving for. What are your thoughts on thos stone?

http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/round-ideal-cut-cut-diamond-175738.htm
WF is most known for their two "in house" brands: A Cut Above, and Expert Selection. You''ve got the latter, which may not be inscribed. Your appraiser can help you confirm the diamond, which is of course reasonable. Also, they can help you with paperwork, as Neil alluded to, for insurance. You''ll want to insure it so that, in the case of a loss, you can replace it. And, you''ll want to do this without paying an unnecessarily high premium. An appraiser, coupled with WF''s docs, can help you with this. Take advantage of papers from both.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Hi Stags14! I'm so glad you are purchasing a diamond from WF! I'm also glad you are not polluting your new diamond with any of the bad energy from that crooked vendor!

"ACA" is a WF thing, means "A Cut Above". It's their top-of-the-line. Not entirely necessary to get a great diamond though. The one you picked looks really nice!

WF will send an appraisal along with the stone. I think you will be able to verify the stone in its mounting - just have a trained eye match up the inclusions with the cert.

WF and your crooked vendor are like night and day - I'm sure you'll be pleased.

stags14

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/11/2006 9:28:30 AM
Author: Regular Guy

Date: 12/11/2006 9:18:10 AM

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
If the appraisers list here is too much of a hardship, here''s another probably bigger list. I don''t see Buffalo, but maybe one of these folks is closer.

Thanks Ira Z.!!!! You rock! (My first diamond joke).....

gail013

Shiny_Rock
Hi Stags-

I would consider having WF mount it for you, have you selected a mounting yet? It will be alot easier, and will give you peace of mind, as then they take responsibility for the stone in case anything should happen to it. At a B amd M I dont think they are responsible it something happens to the stone (which is rare, but......). WF is very reputable, and they want your future business.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
it looks like most of your questions have been answered stags. that is a great (really!) looking diamond. i would second gails recommendation of having wf set the stone. it will be quicker and easier that way (and insured!).

can''t wait to see it done!

stags14

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/11/2006 10:04:38 AM
Author: gail013
Hi Stags-

I would consider having WF mount it for you, have you selected a mounting yet? It will be alot easier, and will give you peace of mind, as then they take responsibility for the stone in case anything should happen to it. At a B amd M I dont think they are responsible it something happens to the stone (which is rare, but......). WF is very reputable, and they want your future business.
I am going to go with a simple (and hopefully elegant) 4-prong platinum solitaire:

http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Styles/Solitaire/4-Prong--Tiffany--Style-in-Platinum_608.htm

gail013

Shiny_Rock
Very nice! WF does send along the original cert so you know what you are getting. I ordered a diamond from them and it was exactly what they said it was. I ended up returning it because I decided I wanted something little different, and decided to continue my search, but the return process was smooth as well.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/11/2006 7:20:14 AM
Author:stags14
I am about to purchase a diamond from WhiteFlash. Because of my dealings with a crooked vendor (click HERE to read about it), I am in somewhat of a time crunch. These are my options:

1) I am going to call around this morning to see if I can find a local B&M to mount a loose stone quickly for me. I also need to schedule an appraisal. I am assuming it is much easier to appraise a loose stone. Is that a correct assumption?

2) Buy the diamond mounted from WhiteFlash. If I buy a mounted diamond, can I still have it appraised properly?

Thanks!

Stags
Yes. Especially when the stone involved comes with a grading report from a reputable laboratory such as AGS or GIA. Most of the jewelry that appraisers see is already mounted, so they get very competent at grading mounted stones, although it is always best if there is an accompaning grading report.

Wink

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results