shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling Aussie PS''ers - help please!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock

Hey fellow Aussie PS''ers (and any PS''ers who have lived/stayed here)

I''m in need of some help please..
I have a cushion umbalite garnet that I am looking to have set for a RHR. So far nearly all my decent jewellery has been done in the US, but I would really like to use an Australian vendor for this, for convenience and hopefully cost. Doesn''t matter which state or city, all referrals welcome.

I would like someone who does handmade - good quality, nice focus on detail - but doesn''t have to be "the best". Basically I do have a budget to work to

1.gif

I''ve obtained a couple quotes that haven''t worked out for various reasons, and now I''ve really hit a brick wall with this project - so I would very much appreciate any and all recommendations of decent custom jewellers you have used or know of.

(I have also posted this in Hangout for the members that don''t venture over here, so pls excuse if you notice the double-up).

Here''s a couple pics of the garnet for fun,

thanks in advance!

precision%20cushion%20umbalite.jpg

DSC02327-resize.JPG
http://www.pricescope.com/forum/col...t-pls-help-with-first-project-t103803-30.html

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
AJ I am at a loss and can't think of anyone I have used, I used a local jeweler for a repair job but it was not up to standard they offered to fix it but I wasn't willing to let them touch my setting again.

I know claireabelle used Delphi diamonds in Sydney for her legacy inspired ring and was happy with them and her ring was stunning, no idea on prices though.

Link to her thread
Hopefully someone has a good rec for you :), beautiful cushion btw.

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
Phillip Schmidt known a platinumsmith.com "nearly'' made my setting for my upgrade. His work is first class and I think fairly reasonable.
Google him. He is in Collins St Melbourne IIRC.
Actually here you go
http://www.platinumsmith.com.au/
Why didn''t he make it in the end? Well he was a great to deal with BUT I didn''t want to get my diamond from him and (rightly or wrongly) I felt he wanted me to and in the end GOG and Preciousmetals won the day.

angeline_g

Rough_Rock
What a beautiful stone.
As you know I am a newbie so I really will be of no help to you! Best of luck though I do hope your can find someone

We live in such a beautiful country but it is so difficult to get nice/cost effective/quality jewellery without being a millionare.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Thankyou Dee and Katebar for the suggestions, I will look into both.
Kate, may I ask how you feel that jeweller stacked up in pricing? As in, lets say compared to your WF ring - would he be similiar/more expensive.? I hope you don't mind me asking..

ETA: ah, Kate don't worry - I read his site and it looks like he only wants to work in plat. I'm looking for 18k yellow gold.

angeline, very true. I'm sure there are great ones out there who don't charge a fortune, but I'm yet to find them..I always find it odd how Australians pay more for diamonds and precious metals, and we're the ones you mine/own the things, lol!

Sharon101

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/4/2009 3:17:50 AM
Author: katebar
Phillip Schmidt known a platinumsmith.com ''nearly'' made my setting for my upgrade. His work is first class and I think fairly reasonable.
Actually here you go
Why didn''t he make it in the end? Well he was a great to deal with BUT I didn''t want to get my diamond from him and (rightly or wrongly) I felt he wanted me to and in the end GOG and Preciousmetals won the day.
I might be wrong, but I remember alot of controversy about this one. Maybe google this vendor and double check.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/4/2009 4:27:13 AM
Author: Sharon101
Date: 2/4/2009 3:17:50 AM

Phillip Schmidt known a platinumsmith.com ''nearly'' made my setting for my upgrade. His work is first class and I think fairly reasonable.

Actually here you go

I might be wrong, but I remember alot of controversy about this one. Maybe google this vendor and double check.

Can I ask what type of controversy Sharon?
I did google, but looks like only links back to his shop..

Sharon101

Brilliant_Rock
Forgive me if Im wrong, but there was a huge feud between one platenum expert who botched a job and his client, and Im sure it spilled onto pricescope. The client showed photos of this ring all rough and messy. The jeweller was very aggressive and had sort of thrown him out of his shop. And there was a big drama mostly involving he said, she said etc.

Maybe someone else will remember it.

Im sure the guy was Australian, and he ended up getting the ring set in America with a top expert.

Maybe Im mixing up my facts???? Hope someone else will chime in here!!!!

ETA- put in Platinumsmith in the search here on pricescope.

(Glad Im not loosing my mind. I usually have a good memory for random details!)

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Oh ok you meant search within PS - wow I had no idea, how dodge - there is an awful lot of "he said she said" in that thread, but I do trust Jade Leaves though.
Weird, thanks for the heads up Sharon.

I know you''re "in the business" Sharon - can you help with my original question? I''m only looking for consumer to consumer advice, not professional.
Anyone who has a great rep for handmade in your area?

Sharon101

Brilliant_Rock
Did you want something made from scratch by a local jeweller or would you be happy with a mount that was fabricated in HongKong or Singapore? Keep in mind that Hong Kong stock is everywhere even if its not identified as such!

The later can be very beautifully made with good attension to detail and at a better cost. Also, do you want any diamonds in the setting or plain?

Dont worry, there are many choices around for you to get a great setting! Your budget will determine which path to take.

eg. no use going to the best if he will charge you $2000 for a basic setting and you want to spend $300.

D2B

Brilliant_Rock
Hi

What a about garry holloway at precious metals, I thought he also did custom work if requested.

good luck and I love your stone, it looks divine.

d2b

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/4/2009 9:04:08 AM
Did you want something made from scratch by a local jeweller or would you be happy with a mount that was fabricated in HongKong or Singapore? Keep in mind that Hong Kong stock is everywhere even if its not identified as such!

The later can be very beautifully made with good attension to detail and at a better cost. Also, do you want any diamonds in the setting or plain?

Dont worry, there are many choices around for you to get a great setting! Your budget will determine which path to take.

eg. no use going to the best if he will charge you $2000 for a basic setting and you want to spend $300.

Hi Sharon
thanks for your reply. I''m pretty sure I want a handmade ring, as the style I''m after I think lends itself to that. I''m not really sure how the whole China fabrication thing works..
This is likely a long shot, but do or your husband know any places with good reps in Perth? I know there are a ton of small manufacturing workshops in town, but I wouldn''t know who''s any good etc..

I will post a pic of the inspiration ring - but I don''t want anyone to let this prejudice them against making further recommendations..
"My" ring will not be exactly like this, but this is the "concept".
I''m after 18k yellow gold, no side diamonds. The only "extra" details will be the metals leaves and milgrained bezel etc.
I honestly thought something like this would be fairly done for ~1200 or less - am I off the planet on this?

If any jewellers happen to read this post, your general input on what a setting like this *could/should* cost to be created would be appreciated. (I''m not after a quote from any posters here, just an indication on whether my budget seems do-able).

1.gif

Garnet ring#1.jpg

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
sorry, here''s the pic again:

Garnet ring image nbr 1.jpg

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/4/2009 9:16:45 AM
Author: D2B
Hi

What a about garry holloway at precious metals, I thought he also did custom work if requested.

good luck and I love your stone, it looks divine.

d2b

I d2b, this is just a guess based on not much but what I''ve read on PS, but I''m assuming they may be outta my budget range..
Thankyou though for the suggestion.

More are welcome!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Does anyone else have somewhere they can recommend?
33.gif

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
AJ I''ll ask my friend in Perth who KNOWS everything and lots of conections
2.gif

Stay tuned
41.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/4/2009 8:00:36 PM
AJ I'll ask my friend in Perth who KNOWS everything and lots of conections
2.gif

Stay tuned
41.gif
You're the absolute bestest Kate!!
Thankyou so so much.
36.gif

I can't wait ..

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
AJ my friend is emailing her society doyenne friend as we speak
41.gif

Fingers crossed she''s home and not lunching at Coco''s!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/4/2009 9:34:54 PM
AJ my friend is emailing her society doyenne friend as we speak
41.gif

Fingers crossed she''s home and not lunching at Coco''s!
Ha ha, you''re too funny! Thankyou so much Kate, this is very kind of you to go to the effort
13.gif
(weird kissy emotie thing)..

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
Righto!
Koro jewellers in City Arcade
Maybe Linneys at Peppy Grove
Downie & Bailey not sure where they are
DIAMONDS & PEARLS
842 Hay Street, Perth
Blennerhassett jewellers
HTH

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/5/2009 12:20:10 AM

Righto!
Koro jewellers in City Arcade
Maybe Linneys at Peppy Grove
Downie & Bailey not sure where they are
DIAMONDS & PEARLS
842 Hay Street, Perth

Blennerhassett jewellers
HTH
Thanks so much Kate!
I will look them up and see who I can ask for a quote..

So did your friend say that she used these places and was happy with all of them?

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
Great! No they are just some jewellers that friends have said may ''do'' this sort of thing. I think the first one someone had something made there.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/5/2009 12:46:11 AM
Great! No they are just some jewellers that friends have said may ''do'' this sort of thing. I think the first one someone had something made there.
Thanks Kate. I have had a look at their sites - I may go visit the ones in the city after work today.

Sharon101

Brilliant_Rock
Good luck, we dont know anyone to recommend in Perth. Fwiw, your design looks gorgeous and I hope it becomes a reality for you soon.

Regards Sharon

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/5/2009 3:12:46 AM
Good luck, we dont know anyone to recommend in Perth. Fwiw, your design looks gorgeous and I hope it becomes a reality for you soon.

Regards Sharon

Sharon, do you know anyone good in your state? (sorry, I can''t recall where you are).
I currently have quotes from a place in Melbs - I really don''t mind where, as long as they''re good.

Sharon101

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/5/2009 3:35:46 AM
Author: arjunajane

Date: 2/5/2009 3:12:46 AM

Regards Sharon

Sharon, do you know anyone good in your state? (sorry, I can't recall where you are).
I currently have quotes from a place in Melbs - I really don't mind where, as long as they're good.
Oh dear...I just spent half an hour writting up so much info and my connection broke
29.gif
29.gif
29.gif

I will start again, but Im all out of energy so might elaberate latter.

First www.catanachs.com.au

these are arguably one of the best but not cheap. Good to get quote though for comparrison...and to get feedback on your design, the complexity etc. Look at their site, its the style you are aiming for.

Second, the guy I used...and my Mum, my MIL, my SIL etc etc. His name is Ian Sharp.

www.bijoux-diamonds.com

he is negotiable, its the way of his clients. They p-ay, but they all want a discount.

He has contacts everywhere and access to excellent benchmen, designers, milgrainers etc etc. He knows everyone there is to know!!!!

I am happy with my ring, the price was about 35% less than catanachs, plus he used bigger diamonds in the setting. I really think he has great taste, but he can be bossy and we ended up having a falling out....maybe I pushed him too far with my changes.
11.gif
12.gif
. But I still recommend him to get a quote from and to use.

Third is a little shop that has been in the area of Malvern for ever. Owned by an Italian family with father and son both being hands on jewellers. They are so sweet and giving. So quick to shoo you out when you go to pay for a small job that didnt take them very long. They are so gorgeous in nature, especially the son....you can just see in his eyes how good natured he is!!!!

They did a famous footballers wedding set for wife, and there is a huge photo there of that, thankyou note included!!!

Ani jewellers 9576 1777

I advice to get the jewellers advice as to the cheapest way to achieve your design. They might have a way that is part cast and part hand made to keep costs down.

Keep in mind, gold has sky rocketed as have all imports!!! Its a very hard time for jewellers to quote as prices keep going up for their costs on a daily basis!!!!
23.gif

But you will get there!

Last is a new favourite of mine also
www.antonjewellery.com

they were super helpful with gorgeous stock and seemed negotiable (to a point). Worth checking out, also a well known player in Melbourne.

Good luck, and I hope others chime in too!!!!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Sharon, you have been incredibly helpful, thankyou so much for all the effort you''ve gone to!!
Do Ani jewellers have a website?

I will do some research, and get back to you with any good results.
I hate that when you lose your post - sooo frustrating, I''m sorry you had to retype.

Again, thankyou, I really appreciate it
1.gif

pwendyp

Shiny_Rock
have you heard of this lady aj?

www.evamartin.com - 'I presently live on the Sunshine Coast in Australia'

Her work is gorgeous - and not off the table in terms of price I think - she has one or two prices on her website.

I wrote her one time, she responded very quickly, and sounded she would be a joy to work with.

Worth a peek perhaps.

1.gif

Date: 2/4/2009 7:47:36 PM
33.gif

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/5/2009 12:34:28 PM
Author: pwendyp
have you heard of this lady aj?

www.evamartin.com - ''I presently live on the Sunshine Coast in Australia''

Her work is gorgeous - and not off the table in terms of price I think - she has one or two prices on her website.

I wrote her one time, she responded very quickly, and sounded she would be a joy to work with.

Worth a peek perhaps.

1.gif

Date: 2/4/2009 7:47:36 PM
33.gif
Gosh pwendyp what a find! her work is stunning. Not really my aesthetic but gorgeous never the less. Iam bookmarking her as I may consider her for a custom piece later this year. Thanks

Sharon101

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/5/2009 8:35:18 AM
Sharon, you have been incredibly helpful, thankyou so much for all the effort you''ve gone to!!
Do Ani jewellers have a website?

I will do some research, and get back to you with any good results.
I hate that when you lose your post - sooo frustrating, I''m sorry you had to retype.

Again, thankyou, I really appreciate it
1.gif
No, unfortunately no website. But you can ring them for their email address, or google them for the email address. They are in Glenferrie Road now not Wattletree Rd.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results