shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling Antique Diamond Owners and Admirers

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, so I picked up my new 0.88ct J VS1 Transition cut (which I still claim is an OEC) this morning after sneaking quietly out of the office. You can read about the stone here: Need IS Opinion

First impressions? I was stunned by how white it is. I would never have guessed a J. It also reflected lots of chunky blues and greens in indirect sunlight. It''s not a sunny day today, perhaps a slight overcast.

The diamond shows a hint of warmth next to my E emerald cut in the office, but is a pleasing colour. My E is icy white, the J is "soft" white. It seems that the best view for this puppy is from far away (at least 1 foot away), even in fluorescent lighting. Nice large blocks of golds, greens, blues shouting at me. The VS1 is as clean as can be. I love the side close up view.
30.gif
The high crown, huge facets...

What "bothers" me is the close-up view from top down a few inches away. The culet is kinda small for my taste but I can live with it. It''s the table. I think it is a smidge too large and when I look straight down the table (up close), I can see the blocky "flower" pattern. Am I making sense? I suppose in the modern RB, I would be seeing the arrow shafts instead. The flower pattern is pretty and I like it but I wish it were smaller so I can see the chunkiness of the crown facets. Am I just being silly because I can see this organized symmetrical pattern way up close from the top down? Everything else about this J is a winner. If I move just an inch or two further away, I don''t see it, all I see are blocks of colours in my eyes. Is this the "head obstruction" everyone is talking about here in RBs?

At the same time, I don''t want to part with this OEC because well cut OECs aren''t a dime a dozen either. I''d like opinions and comments even from non-experts here at Pricescope. In the meantime, I''ve been scouting as many blown-up pictures of OECs of various sizes to compare the looks all over the WWW. There are tons out there that are terrible and only a few that are drop dead gorgeous (in my humble, unexpert opinion). I''ve also just finished going through the Show Me Your Antique Cuts folder. I see the same thing on some of the stones there but not quite as obvious as mine. So, am I just too eagle eyed and picky? Is this the expected look, is it the head obstruction thing, is the table a tad too large or am I imagining things?

Please help me ease my mind.

aaftabj

Rough_Rock
I''m not an antique diamond person, but I wanted to remind you that you are comparing an actual diamond to pictures... essentially, 3d to a non-moving 2d image. You could probably find something to like/dislike about the other stones too, if you had them in hand. Maybe a local jeweler could help you instead? Someone with antique stones?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/15/2006 1:30:13 PM
Author:Chrono

I think it is a smidge too large and when I look straight down the table (up close), I can see the blocky ''flower'' pattern. Am I making sense?

Sure... it sounds like the lower girdle facets barely long enough to reach the edge of the table - so you get to see only the ends of the main pavilion facets meeting in a ''flower'' under the table.
34.gif
Sure enough, the same facets determine the width of the arrow shafts in a modern round.

The flower pattern is pretty and I like it but I wish it were smaller so I can see the chunkiness of the crown facets. Am I just being silly because I can see this organized symmetrical pattern way up close from the top down?

IMO, from up close probably the diamond is in your shadow, so there is no reflection from the crown facets - you get to peer inside the stone and so the pattern of pavilion facets looks more prominent. It would in any diamond looked at up close... Could be wrong though.
8.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
On the other thread you mention a one and something carat oec, J & 9k..

Dunno, these are still priced below what modern rounds would come at. Maybe more on par with modern fancies (ovals, EC... whatever). So it does sound expensive... for a loose diamond that is. Perhaps some exceptional setting would change the odds a bit.

Anyway, there seems to be lower priced offers around - and that''s enough to make that price appear high. Here''s one ''Thought you might appreciate this sort of distraction
2.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Of course I''ve seen that one. If only I had some spare change of around $8K lying around.
31.gif

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Well, you know what I think--I think it sounds heavenly. But you''re the one who has to love it. Perhaps it''s just too symmetrical for you.

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can I throw my 2 cents in too? I have an ideal H&A round, a 60/60 round, and a family heirloom OEC (seen here).

I was also briefly in posession of a 0.75ct OEC in it''s original Raymond C Yard setting.

Comparing the 2 OEC''s, to me there was a world of difference! My great-grandmother''s OEC has the huge, chunky, rather disorganized facets, and I LOVE it. The Yard OEC was also an OEC (the opinion of an independent appraiser) as opposed to a transitional cut, but it looked much more "modern" to me, and although it was a very well cut stone, and I love the arrow symmetry in my H&A, this stone did nothing for me! I have a feeling you are seeing in yours what I saw in the Yard ring. Anyway - here is a pic of my grandmother''s OEC taken with my cheapo H&A and IS viewers: Note the white facet reflections and the disorganization of the faceting -

grandmothers OEC 2.JPG

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is the 0.75ct Raymond C Yard ring, taken with the same H&A viewer: Note all the "arrows" are dark blue - no white light reflection, and to me this stone just "died" at a distance when compared to my grandmother''s -

YardHandAsmall.JPG

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here''s a "real life" shot of the Yard OEC - is this the "flower" you are referring to?

DSC04716smallb.JPG

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is my grandmoher''s OEC "real life" shot - more pics in the thread linked to above. To me this "disorganization" looks more like a checkerboard effect - and it is wonderful and bright and I love it!

grandmothersOECreallife.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much for all your replies. Especially the blown up pictures. You know this is really weird, as an enginner I love perfect symmetry and want everything to be organized so I'm not sure why the chaotic look of antique cut diamonds attracts my attention.

ECF,
Yes, that is the flower I am refering too, although my "flower" looks more like your grandmother's OEC with a slightly larger table. The flower starts at the culet, it doesn't have this dark circle-like thing in the middle like the Yard OEC, and the fat "flower petals" are diamond shaped with cut off ends and tends to return large blocks of colour as I tilt the stone back and forth. The side facets are also blocky as it should be. At arm's length, I can't see the flower pattern. All I see are the different large facets altenatively giving off coloured light.

I think it is the matter of me getting to know my OEC intimately. Having owned all H&A stones previously, I've gotten used to seeing a certain look, and when I saw all the gorgeous OECs here, I was hooked. So when I finally got to see this OEC really up close, I wan't 100% sure what to expect. I scrutinized it to the nth degree. I did see a 1.28ct J VVS OEC at my local jeweller's but it was already set and I couldn't stare at it for hours. It was very warm and quite pretty (disorganized look) but the crown was too low for my tastes.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Attached is a picture to help illustrate my earlier explaination.

0.88 OEC.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so crazy over the side view.
30.gif

0.88 OEC side.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results