shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling All CAD Experts...

Mturgeon05

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Fell in love with a setting in a local store, but per suggestions on this forum, I am having David Klass design it. Here is the original post: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/thoughts-on-this-setting.240783/.

Here is DK’s CAD:
E2D9FFB0-2D65-47B1-B279-E792329DFDE0.jpeg

Main concerns:

1. Want low profile (low and wide, not high and thin)
2. Need it to set flush with my wedding band
3. Want an impressive halo that accentuates my center stone

Here is the ring I loved:
0190DEA6-971B-494E-8DC4-FF702D407E0D.png

44D5B57B-A86D-446B-943F-96F14ED536F7.jpeg

How does the CAD look? Any changes I need to consider?

Thanks!!

Tophat1

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
2mm is not that wide for the shank. Are you ok with it? I just ask because you said “low and wide”

Mturgeon05

Shiny_Rock
Premium
2mm is not that wide for the shank. Are you ok with it? I just ask because you said “low and wide”

I’m ok with that for the band. My wedding band is 1.9, so I want to stick around that. For low and wide I meant more the appearance of the halo part...I don’t like when the top is super high on the band.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think he pretty much nailed it. The total weight of diamonds on the Sylvie if 0.80 and, by my math, DK has 0.82. The halo stones look to be tilted ~20 degrees off level away from the center, which is an improvement over the store setting.

The halo can be lowered more by having him lower the culet of the stone part-way into the shank over your finger (not through, think of drilling just a 1/4 way through). I have this on several of my rings, as I'm very height sensitive on settings. Its not made and difference on the performance of my stones or ability to clean them. But, it allowed them to shave off a bit more height. The CAD shows that you have space above your band (assuming there are not diamonds that are higher than the purple shank in the CAD).

You can see this lowering of the culet on this TGP ring called the resilient (DK made this for TGP so will know the reference).

upload_2018-5-15_20-11-18.png

upload_2018-5-15_20-10-29.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-5-15_20-6-52.png
    upload_2018-5-15_20-6-52.png
    513 KB · Views: 10

Mturgeon05

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I think he pretty much nailed it. The total weight of diamonds on the Sylvie if 0.80 and, by my math, DK has 0.82. The halo stones look to be tilted ~20 degrees off level away from the center, which is an improvement over the store setting.

The halo can be lowered more by having him lower the culet of the stone part-way into the shank over your finger (not through, think of drilling just a 1/4 way through). I have this on several of my rings, as I'm very height sensitive on settings. Its not made and difference on the performance of my stones or ability to clean them. But, it allowed them to shave off a bit more height. The CAD shows that you have space above your band (assuming there are not diamonds that are higher than the purple shank in the CAD).

You can see this lowering of the culet on this TGP ring called the resilient (DK made this for TGP so will know the reference).

upload_2018-5-15_20-11-18.png

upload_2018-5-15_20-10-29.png

You hit on all my main points...thank you! I thought it looked pretty perfect, but I am the world’s worst visualizer. And huge thanks for the pic showing your lowered cutlet. I had no idea they could do that!

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@rockysalamander - what a beautiful ring. Do you have a SMTB thread on it?

@Mturgeon05 - I think your CAD looks great and have no doubt that David will make an absolutely stunning ring inspired by the ring you saw.

Last edited:

McGinnis

Shiny_Rock
Premium
It’s finished!!!

CE435576-F4EB-4144-A84B-D68D7E252F4F.png
3E04AC37-10A2-47E6-B745-E845E3DA6A10.png

gosh, that is gorgeous.
Can you help me by telling me how many times you two emailed back and forth?
Did you have to mention things like the beveled edge on the halo (you can see it on the CAD more than the finished product)?
Anyway, congrats the on the ring, it's really so pretty and actually better than the picture you sent him!:appl:

Mturgeon05

Shiny_Rock
Premium
gosh, that is gorgeous.
Can you help me by telling me how many times you two emailed back and forth?
Did you have to mention things like the beveled edge on the halo (you can see it on the CAD more than the finished product)?
Anyway, congrats the on the ring, it's really so pretty and actually better than the picture you sent him!:appl:

Thank you! We emailed back and forth several times, but that was my fault because I kept changing my mind. Once I found this ring and sent him the pics, he sent me the cad, asked if I had any changes (I didn’t) and that was it. When I first sent the pics I did outline exactly what I was looking for: bigger melee, cathedral, stone set low, and what I liked about the inspiration ring (u-pave, finger coverage).

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, absolutely stunning! I love it!! So damn classy...

And @McGinnis, I am also building a setting with DK for my girl. It has all sorts of twists, curves and not nearly as simple as this. They are designing from pics we took in a store of the inspiro. I’ve had 3 CAD revisions and they are sending a plastic model to make sure I’m happy with it all. This last revision I really like so I am stoked to get the model. Worst case I think there might be 1 more round of revisions. My point in blabbering is that although I feel my project has been more difficult (because of the design elements) DK has been amazing and very patient. Communication moves fast along with revisions. So far we’ve taken the inspiration piece and mimicked it while refining and improving it. If you are considering DK for your own design I believe you will be very happy and in good hands!

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful ring! Enjoy it and come back with hamdshots please :)

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It's beautiful!

Mturgeon05

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Wow, absolutely stunning! I love it!! So damn classy...

And @McGinnis, I am also building a setting with DK for my girl. It has all sorts of twists, curves and not nearly as simple as this. They are designing from pics we took in a store of the inspiro. I’ve had 3 CAD revisions and they are sending a plastic model to make sure I’m happy with it all. This last revision I really like so I am stoked to get the model. Worst case I think there might be 1 more round of revisions. My point in blabbering is that although I feel my project has been more difficult (because of the design elements) DK has been amazing and very patient. Communication moves fast along with revisions. So far we’ve taken the inspiration piece and mimicked it while refining and improving it. If you are considering DK for your own design I believe you will be very happy and in good hands!

Thanks! I can’t wait to see yours. Agreed with everything you said. I was offered a wax mold as well, but I didn’t feel like I needed it. David was amazing to work with and does top quality work. I can’t wait to see how amazing it looks in person :twirl:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful! Looks perfect!

McGinnis

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thank you! We emailed back and forth several times, but that was my fault because I kept changing my mind. Once I found this ring and sent him the pics, he sent me the cad, asked if I had any changes (I didn’t) and that was it. When I first sent the pics I did outline exactly what I was looking for: bigger melee, cathedral, stone set low, and what I liked about the inspiration ring (u-pave, finger coverage).
Great to know that he fills in the gaps! Sounds like it was quick and painless. Im sorry if the message below is a threadjack...I don't mean it I would PM if I know how to do it!

@sledge My hubby is making a ring and I'm not allowed to know all of the details because he wants to implement his ideas but Im just afraid that the metal showing on the actual halo part(bottom side) might be a bit bulky only because I've seen sleek halos with stones that fill the metal up from the top view and side view but some have a layer of metal thats very visible from the side view. I just dont want to micromanage and tell my hubby to do things when he's said that he's got this under control...What were some things that you had to emphasize?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results