shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this setting?

Mturgeon05

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Some may remember, I bought a gorgeous 1.61 RBC from Blue Nile after help from this amazing group. I had them set it temporarily while I decided what I really wanted. Decided on a halo and reached out to David Klass to begin the design process. 10 days ago he said he would put together a drawing. I haven’t heard back yet, so I decided to swing by a local store today to explore my options (I have to return the BN setting by 5/30). I’m really glad I made the trip. Prior to, I was certain I wanted a delicate cushion halo. But at the store, a round, heftier halo caught my eye. I know it is totally a matter of taste, but I would love your thoughts.

What I loved about it: Maximim finger coverage but low profile and did not detract from center stone. (Center stone in pics is not mine).

I am worried that I will not be as excited about the design DKJ is working on because it is much more delicate (.78 vs .35 tcw).

9A5CC231-6C9C-4BDA-87AB-63F02C44C176.jpeg
2EEC4D49-95D3-4F09-A2EC-0826928D82AF.jpeg

Here is the manufacturers photo:
A4CC0FBA-735B-4AE9-92F9-2A2E267AB4B3.png

Here is the inspiration DKJ pic he is currently basing my design after:
16627007-32B0-407E-9B4B-A9EE79A6F76B.png

So what do you think? Should I:

1. Get the one I loved at the local place
2. Have DKJ replicate the heftier design
3. Stick with the original delicate design

And on another note, kudos to this group for your amazing find with my RBC. The manager was trying to get me to sell it to them (for more than I paid) because he couldn’t believe I got it for what I paid. Obviously I thanked him for his offer and walked away :D.

Attachments

• EFDB155A-60BC-44D7-9919-A14086196936.jpeg
    EFDB155A-60BC-44D7-9919-A14086196936.jpeg
    85.4 KB · Views: 31
  • 418E17E5-A40A-4E84-93BE-8C40D4F7DF29.jpeg
    418E17E5-A40A-4E84-93BE-8C40D4F7DF29.jpeg
    124.5 KB · Views: 30

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Klass will be able to make you a larger halo if that is what you want, that is the best thing about custom. I like the shank on David’s better but a larger halo diamonds can be done.

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
And he can definitely come in lower than that $3600

Mturgeon05

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Klass will be able to make you a larger halo if that is what you want, that is the best thing about custom. I like the shank on David’s better but a larger halo diamonds can be done.

That’s what I’m thinking too. And the $3600 is not what I would pay...it was $2600. But, since it’s local, I’m sure I have to pay tax as well. Thanks!!

Mturgeon05

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I concur with @KKJohnson to have the ring made with better detail and workmanship. He's made a few with larger melee.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BJdvXS-h7Fp/?hl=en&taken-by=davidklassjewelry

Thanks for the pic!! I am the absolute worst at being able to visualize, so I tend to go with what I know I like for fear of not being happy with a design I haven’t seen. One thing I know for sure- I’ll def need help looking at the CAD when I get it!

I really do want to work with DK...just concerned he is super busy right now and I need to send my current setting back to BN. Want to minimize the time I am without my beautiful stone. I lack patience if you can’t tell!

Mturgeon05

Shiny_Rock
Premium
DK’s ears must have been ringing...I just got my original CAD. Not sure about the two-tone, but everything else looks right. I am going to ask him to up the size on the melee and make it round.

Based on this, will it be as low profile as the one I saw today? I like low and wide as opposed to high and thin, if that makes sense.

10A47B47-3EF4-4D94-A9D4-10B36EE6BDF9.jpeg

princessk

Shiny_Rock
Premium
gosh I can relate. I wanted low and wide and got too tall and thin I saw the CAD but really didn't visualize it. I will not do a reset without trying on the exact ring. Ive learned a very expensive lesson I was patient yet it didn't work to my benefit. I am re setting to a halo for Xmas present so going to do all my homework this time. Personally I would go with the one you tried but get a better price. Im a visual person and CADS don't help me But thats just my 2 cents!!!!

Mturgeon05

Shiny_Rock
Premium
gosh I can relate. I wanted low and wide and got too tall and thin I saw the CAD but really didn't visualize it. I will not do a reset without trying on the exact ring. Ive learned a very expensive lesson I was patient yet it didn't work to my benefit. I am re setting to a halo for Xmas present so going to do all my homework this time. Personally I would go with the one you tried but get a better price. Im a visual person and CADS don't help me But thats just my 2 cents!!!!

Ugh. That is my fear!! CADs don’t help me either. I am hoping with the pics I sent he’ll be able to keep it low. And the price is similar for both (but add tax for the local one).

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
CAD is hard. Have you looked at other halos? I'm just not overly impressed with the pave on the local one (sorry!).

The one you liked was a cathedral and the one you have a CAD for is not. I think the cathedral helps the setting look lower. To get it low, make sure he places the culet of the stone so it hovers just a fraction of a millimeter over the shank. That sets the minimum height you can achieve.

Some more DK halos.
upload_2018-5-12_20-45-17.png
upload_2018-5-12_20-43-46.png
upload_2018-5-12_20-47-18.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-5-12_20-46-51.png
    upload_2018-5-12_20-46-51.png
    199 KB · Views: 22

Mturgeon05

Shiny_Rock
Premium
CAD is hard. Have you looked at other halos? I'm just not overly impressed with the pave on the local one (sorry!).

The one you liked was a cathedral and the one you have a CAD for is not. I think the cathedral helps the setting look lower. To get it low, make sure he places the culet of the stone so it hovers just a fraction of a millimeter over the shank. That sets the minimum height you can achieve.

Some more DK halos.
upload_2018-5-12_20-45-17.png
upload_2018-5-12_20-43-46.png
upload_2018-5-12_20-47-18.png

No apologies needed! I thought it was beautiful to my amateur eyes, but assumed DK could produce better quality for around the same price.

He is working up a new drawing to reflect my requests. It will be cathedral to appear lower and he also will carve/set in U-Pave like the one I saw today.

I have looked at and tried on probably about 30. I tried on about 15 today and there was just something about that one that really appealed to me. It surprised me because previously I have been drawn to cushion and smaller melee. So confusing!!

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No apologies needed! I thought it was beautiful to my amateur eyes, but assumed DK could produce better quality for around the same price.

He is working up a new drawing to reflect my requests. It will be cathedral to appear lower and he also will carve/set in U-Pave like the one I saw today.

I have looked at and tried on probably about 30. I tried on about 15 today and there was just something about that one that really appealed to me. It surprised me because previously I have been drawn to cushion and smaller melee. So confusing!!
Great update! I can't wait for the revised CADs.

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
That's a beautiful setting. I usually like delicate halos myself but that cathedral setting does really pop! You're doing the right thing to have DK to replicate the look. His workmanship is just exquisite.

Mturgeon05

Shiny_Rock
Premium
That's a beautiful setting. I usually like delicate halos myself but that cathedral setting does really pop! You're doing the right thing to have DK to replicate the look. His workmanship is just exquisite.

It really looked great. Can’t wait to see what he designs!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results