Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

CADs are here!!! Input greatly appreciated

girlyglam

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Apr 13, 2015
Messages
269
So, I wasn't quite sure if I should create a new topic for this or continue my old one. I decided to create a new one since this involves the full CADs, not just the top view, but I'm sorry if that's annoying to anyone.

Anyway, CADs for my marquise ring are here! I'm so excited for this project! :appl:

This was my inspiration ring:
_35913.jpg

And this is what I received:
jennifer_ko_marq_halo.png
jennifer_ko_marq_halo.jpg
jennifer_ko_marq_halo_ld.jpg
jennifer_ko_marq_halo_sv.jpg
jennifer_ko_marq_halo_tf.jpg

I've mentioned before that I'm not great at reading CADs so any input anyone has would be wonderful. The first thoughts I had were:

- Should I ask for the bezel to have milgrain?
- Do we like the plain shank or should I ask for engraving on the shank? Or maybe engraving would be too busy?
- Is the airline too big? I usually don't like airlines, but I really liked it in the inspiration picture and did specifically ask for a slight airline as shown in the inspiration ring. But I also don't want too big of a gap. I guess since I'm not familiar with airlines, I'm not quite sure if they have is too much or just right.

Any other thoughts or input anyone has would be greatly appreciated!
 

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 23, 2012
Messages
18,952
Love it.

My concern is the millgrain. Ask them not to do cad millgrain but do the millgrianing after its been cast. If that costs more, pay for it. It's worth it.
 

girlyglam

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Apr 13, 2015
Messages
269
Thanks Niel! I've had milgrain done from them before. It's super fine and tiny, and I've been really happy with it. That being said, I don't actually know if its CAD milgrain or if it's done after its been cast...I'll make sure to ask for it after it's been cast!
 

SparklySoprano

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Nov 21, 2014
Messages
661
This ring is TDF and it's not even made yet. LOL! I see what you mean about the airline. Maybe try a bit less of a gap on that. About milgrain on the bezel, yes vote from me. It would tie in the look better. I don't think I would do engraving on the shank. :wavey:
 

girlyglam

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Apr 13, 2015
Messages
269
SparklySoprano|1454000245|3983053 said:
This ring is TDF and it's not even made yet. LOL! I see what you mean about the airline. Maybe try a bit less of a gap on that. About milgrain on the bezel, yes vote from me. It would tie in the look better. I don't think I would do engraving on the shank. :wavey:
Thanks for your input SS! I was so indecisive and uncertain in trying to choose a setting, but I am super excited with the direction this is going!
 

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 27, 2011
Messages
6,583
The CADs are beautiful, but there is one tweak I would suggest...

The two sapphires on the band look like eyes to me with the marquise shaped milgrain. :(sad Maybe if the inner corners - closest to the center stone were more elongated to be more pear or tear shaped, than lemon/marquise shaped, it would look less eye-like? But if you like it as is, it's beautiful, anyways! :appl:
 

girlyglam

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Apr 13, 2015
Messages
269
PintoBean|1454017036|3983166 said:
The CADs are beautiful, but there is one tweak I would suggest...

The two sapphires on the band look like eyes to me with the marquise shaped milgrain. :(sad Maybe if the inner corners - closest to the center stone were more elongated to be more pear or tear shaped, than lemon/marquise shaped, it would look less eye-like? But if you like it as is, it's beautiful, anyways! :appl:
Thanks PintoBean! Lol, I see what you mean about it looking like eyes. It's not something I noticed though in all the times I've looked at this, so it seems it's not something that bothers me. I don't know...I think I'll have to speculate on it a bit more, but I really appreciate your input!
 

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
May 1, 2007
Messages
2,952
I might reduce the airline just a bit. I personally like the bezel just as it is. It makes your stone stand out just enough and gives your eyes a place to rest and appreciate the ring as a whole and the elements.

ETA: went back for another look, and I wonder if losing the milgrain on the side marquis sapphires would balance it out more. Or yeah, maybe just milgraining the bezel.
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198
The milgrain should not be CAST. Cast milgrain looks yucky. Verify that it will not be CAST and will be hand applied after.
 

girlyglam

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Apr 13, 2015
Messages
269
Thank you all! I've emailed to make sure it will not be cast milgrain. Any other thoughts on the design?
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198

ADN

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Joined
Nov 24, 2015
Messages
311
girlyglam|1453998836|3983046 said:
Thanks Niel! I've had milgrain done from them before. It's super fine and tiny, and I've been really happy with it. That being said, I don't actually know if its CAD milgrain or if it's done after its been cast...I'll make sure to ask for it after it's been cast!
Hi - fyi - milgrain should be done after the cast :wavey:
 

girlyglam

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Apr 13, 2015
Messages
269
Gypsy|1454032196|3983304 said:
Thank you for all of those links, Gypsy! I agree that the profile as it is now isn't particularly pretty. I love the galleries in the links you posted and will definitely request that change. I see what you mean about the sapphires in the marquise as well. They should probably be about the same size as the sapphires that are at north and south...is that what you were thinking?

I am leaning towards keeping the shank plain rather than engraved since I don't want the whole thing to look too busy (unless anyone thinks it would look really amazing engraved!). Do you think the airline should be any smaller or that the bezel around the marquise should be milgrained?
 

girlyglam

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Apr 13, 2015
Messages
269
ADN|1454033365|3983317 said:
girlyglam|1453998836|3983046 said:
Thanks Niel! I've had milgrain done from them before. It's super fine and tiny, and I've been really happy with it. That being said, I don't actually know if its CAD milgrain or if it's done after its been cast...I'll make sure to ask for it after it's been cast!
Hi - fyi - milgrain should be done after the cast :wavey:
Thank you! I've emailed them to make sure it's done after the cast. :)
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198
Yes, that was exactly what I was thinking wtih the sapphires.

The airline is okay with me. That's a personal thing. How do you feel about it?

As for engraving, no opinion on that either. Again, it's personal.

As for milgraining the bezel. I would lean toward no. If you have the polished plain shank, it might be a nice design detail to just have a plain bezel with it. They can always add milgrain if you change your mind.
 

Sagefemme

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Oct 8, 2015
Messages
290
Ok, TOTALLY ignore this if I've missed something in a previous post about the evolution of this ring. But there is one thing I notice: In the inspiration ring, the "major elements"--the center marquise and the N-S-E-W elements--are all nicely related. That is, they're all diamonds. In fact the N-S-E-W elements almost look like they are sprouting out of the "mother" diamond in the center. Then, the minor design element, the emeralds, is there to fill in the gaps, provide contrast, and pull it all together. In your CADs the outer ring of smaller stones doesn't have the same connection to the center. It's an altogether separate animal. I'm sure you have a reason for using the sapphires where there were diamonds in the original. Just want to make sure you have considered doing it the other way.

It will be spectacular either way, but this effect of the stone arrangement jumps out at me.
 

girlyglam

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Apr 13, 2015
Messages
269
Sagefemme|1454042887|3983409 said:
Ok, TOTALLY ignore this if I've missed something in a previous post about the evolution of this ring. But there is one thing I notice: In the inspiration ring, the "major elements"--the center marquise and the N-S-E-W elements--are all nicely related. That is, they're all diamonds. In fact the N-S-E-W elements almost look like they are sprouting out of the "mother" diamond in the center. Then, the minor design element, the emeralds, is there to fill in the gaps, provide contrast, and pull it all together. In your CADs the outer ring of smaller stones doesn't have the same connection to the center. It's an altogether separate animal. I'm sure you have a reason for using the sapphires where there were diamonds in the original. Just want to make sure you have considered doing it the other way.

It will be spectacular either way, but this effect of the stone arrangement jumps out at me.
Hi Sagefemme! Thanks so much for your input! I see what you mean about the N-S-E-W elements relating to the center stone in the inspiration ring, and it not having the same effect in my version. It's actually not something that I thought of or that ever stood out to me. Basically, when I was trying to create a design, I knew I wanted sapphires incorporated in there somewhere, but I also didn't really want a sapphire halo...that's why I did it the way I did. It doesn't bother me, though I do greatly appreciate you chiming in. It's always good to take a second (or third, fourth, or fifth!) look to make sure you're really sure about the design choices being made!
 

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Dec 27, 2013
Messages
2,740
Yay! It's great to see the other views of your CADS. :dance: My very first impression was that I didn't care for the gallery. That's something that I think could be improved. The airline in general doesn't bother me, but I can see your point about making it smaller. I think the marquise bezels/stones could be a little larger as suggested. I normally would jump on the milgrain bezel bandwagon, but if you keep the shank plain then a plain bezel might compliment the design more. It's going to be a gorgeous ring so I don't think you can go wrong with the choices you have. :wavey:
 

girlyglam

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Apr 13, 2015
Messages
269
A few updates...they will add a nicer gallery for me. Yay! I'm going to keep the airline as it is. I haven't quite decided about engraving on the shank or milgrain on the bezel, but I *think* I'm leaning towards keeping both the shank and bezel plain.

As far as the sapphires at east and west, they said that the sizes there are pretty tight already. They can make the side sapphires bigger, but it would require basically reworking the whole ring (and there would also be an extra charge). I can't decide if I should leave it as it or ask them to make the side sapphires in the marquise bezels bigger anyway. I'm honestly leaning towards leaving it as is...thoughts?
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198
girlyglam|1454444353|3985762 said:
A few updates...they will add a nicer gallery for me. Yay! I'm going to keep the airline as it is. I haven't quite decided about engraving on the shank or milgrain on the bezel, but I *think* I'm leaning towards keeping both the shank and bezel plain.

As far as the sapphires at east and west, they said that the sizes there are pretty tight already. They can make the side sapphires bigger, but it would require basically reworking the whole ring (and there would also be an extra charge). I can't decide if I should leave it as it or ask them to make the side sapphires in the marquise bezels bigger anyway. I'm honestly leaning towards leaving it as is...thoughts?

Changing just those two stones is going to require a re-work? Really? Ugh.
 

girlyglam

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Apr 13, 2015
Messages
269
Gypsy|1454450984|3985819 said:
girlyglam|1454444353|3985762 said:
A few updates...they will add a nicer gallery for me. Yay! I'm going to keep the airline as it is. I haven't quite decided about engraving on the shank or milgrain on the bezel, but I *think* I'm leaning towards keeping both the shank and bezel plain.

As far as the sapphires at east and west, they said that the sizes there are pretty tight already. They can make the side sapphires bigger, but it would require basically reworking the whole ring (and there would also be an extra charge). I can't decide if I should leave it as it or ask them to make the side sapphires in the marquise bezels bigger anyway. I'm honestly leaning towards leaving it as is...thoughts?

Changing just those two stones is going to require a re-work? Really? Ugh.
Yeah, apparently. Honestly, it doesn't seem like it should to me, but what do I know? I trust they're telling the truth...just not sure what to do now. My fear is that if it's going to require a rework to make those two stones bigger, it's going to make the whole thing bigger/bulkier, and I really don't want a bulky look to this. I feel like keeping it as is might be the safer bet at this point...not sure.
 

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Jan 4, 2014
Messages
1,330
I would definitely milgrain the center bezel :)
Look at mine again and then decide? I think it definitely gives it a softer, more romantic feel for this style of ring.
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198
I would ask him why it would require a redo to just make those 2 bezels (nothing else) bigger. Get a detailed answer and then make a decision from there.
 

girlyglam

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Apr 13, 2015
Messages
269
Thanks Gypsy, I've done just that!

Artdecolover, I love everything about your ring! I'm really having a hard time deciding what to do with mine though. On one hand, my first instinct was the milgrain the bezel to match/tie in the whole look. But, I think the point about having a plain shank and plain bezel complimenting each other makes a lot of sense (and I've decided to definitely keep the shank plain...) I just don't know! :confused:
 

girlyglam

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Apr 13, 2015
Messages
269
artdecolover71|1454498952|3986093 said:
lol I admit, I am a serial bezel milgrainer :dance:
Lol, I love milgrain too! Bezels are new to me though, and I'm just not sure what to do. I looked over my Pinterest board today, and almost all the rings I saved that have a bezel are milgrained bezels, so now I'm thinking that maybe I do milgrain the bezel? I don't know...I can be so easily swayed in either direction. I hate how indecisive I'm being over such a small thing!
 

Lookinagain

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
May 15, 2014
Messages
1,078
I'm fairly certain they will add the milgrain later so you could always start with the plain bezel and add the milgrain after you see the finished ring.
 

girlyglam

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Apr 13, 2015
Messages
269
So, I attempted to "photoshop" milgrain on to the bezel to see if that helps me make a decision. Unfortunately, I'm still pretty indecisive. :???: Here's what I came up with though:
picmonkey_collage.jpg
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198
I vote no.
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    November’s Jewels Of The Weeks
    November’s Jewels Of The Weeks
    Upgrade to Five-Stone
    Upgrade to Five-Stone
    Elizabeth Taylor's Diamond Heart
    Elizabeth Taylor's Diamond Heart

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.
Top