shape
carat
color
clarity

CAD feedback help

dhimer

Shiny_Rock
Hi. Can I get some feedback on the CAD from DK. It looks good to me but it’s my first custom job.
I had asked for :
Modified dahlia type head
A thicker band - comfort rounded at the bottom
For my wedding band to be able to sit flush with it ( height of band is 2.1mm)
For it to sit as low as possible ( low profile)

Right now not sure if I want a plain band or engraved one but he said engraving would not show on CAD anyways. Anything I should change/add? Thank you ! 15EF3126-D524-4278-A03F-BF64C372AE8F.jpeg

dhimer

Shiny_Rock
My main concern is where the head attaches to the shank - should that be open ( ie a donut) ? Will having it open allow for more light?

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m not sure having a donut lets in more light to the diamond.
There’s no stone depth measurement /no CAD depth measurement to get a ‘feel’ as to how low it’s set to your wish as low as possible.
Integrating the head somewhat into the band (instead of attached to top of band) can make it feel lower as well, and still working with that and angle-curve of the basket /your wish of a band sitting flush.
I don’t know about need for structure security in adding a donut /vs without, but they can be made small enough to have little impact on wband not sitting flush.

The top view of this style setting (to me) greatly changes the look by the angle/sharpness of and amount of metal that peeks out into view. The amount seen in cad is more than what it will turn out to be. Seeing others (going thru the dahlia &friends thread and then seeing if their DK versions cads are posted somewhere ) is a great help in getting a feeling if your cad reflects what you want to see in the end result and discussing it with DK, if it’s something you feel strongly about.

dhimer

Shiny_Rock
I’m not sure having a donut lets in more light to the diamond.
There’s no stone depth measurement /no CAD depth measurement to get a ‘feel’ as to how low it’s set to your wish as low as possible.
Integrating the head somewhat into the band (instead of attached to top of band) can make it feel lower as well, and still working with that and angle-curve of the basket /your wish of a band sitting flush.
I don’t know about need for structure security in adding a donut /vs without, but they can be made small enough to have little impact on wband not sitting flush.

The top view of this style setting (to me) greatly changes the look by the angle/sharpness of and amount of metal that peeks out into view. The amount seen in cad is more than what it will turn out to be. Seeing others (going thru the dahlia &friends thread and then seeing if their DK versions cads are posted somewhere ) is a great help in getting a feeling if your cad reflects what you want to see in the end result and discussing it with DK, if it’s something you feel strongly about.

Thank you so much for the reply. You perfectly articulated what it’s really bothering g me about the design - the part where the head is attached to the band. Would you happen to have any suggestions on how I can integrate it into the band ?
Head will be in WG and band in YG.
Also, some of the examples I was seeing have this opening at the bottom - not really a donut - but not sure if it’s just a design preference or if it adds to the performance of the diamond
5BD0357D-8F6B-4C7F-9376-4B6B1835FD35.png
Lastly, I messaged DK a about the depth measurements and awaiting reply.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much for the reply. You perfectly articulated what it’s really bothering g me about the design - the part where the head is attached to the band. Would you happen to have any suggestions on how I can integrate it into the band ?
Head will be in WG and band in YG.
Also, some of the examples I was seeing have this opening at the bottom - not really a donut - but not sure if it’s just a design preference or if it adds to the performance of the diamond
5BD0357D-8F6B-4C7F-9376-4B6B1835FD35.png
Lastly, I messaged DK a about the depth measurements and awaiting reply.

Send this photo to DK and Amy and ask them to make your band a bit taller where it meets the head so that it looks more incorporated, and also make sure they know you want the opening at the bottom as well. They should be able to tweak your design to accomplish this.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I tend to think (but don’t know) that opening in the bottom doesn’t add to performance - other than adding a route to cleaning. Light isn’t going to enter thru there when it’s on your finger.

Any suggestions I could come up with are probably already exampled in the thread I mentioned. Deviations is where you tweak it to your liking.

For my personal preference - I’d tend to lean heavily towards mrs-b’s (old) DK destination ring and valmanin’s (current?) ERD one as my starting point. :)

dhimer

Shiny_Rock
I tend to think (but don’t know) that opening in the bottom doesn’t add to performance - other than adding a route to cleaning. Light isn’t going to enter thru there when it’s on your finger.

Any suggestions I could come up with are probably already exampled in the thread I mentioned. Deviations is where you tweak it to your liking.

For my personal preference - I’d tend to lean heavily towards mrs-b’s (old) DK destination ring and valmanin’s (current?) ERD one as my starting point. :)

I never thought about the cleaning aspect of it. I have never had a ring with the opening there so not sure if it’s something that will benefit the design or not
I went back and looked at the thread and found this variation that may work to integrate it ( @kaylas17 old ring ). Thoughts ?
33AA4A0D-99A8-45C0-9026-A5388E55517B.jpeg
Also for the head I had asked him to just make this one that belonged to D&T and that he has since made several times based on his IG.

11403A98-D8E2-4EF5-A135-10D6697D3769.png

dhimer

Shiny_Rock
And this way maybe (without a donut)
75DADF3C-D4DE-411F-8FCE-65EC59659A2B.png

dhimer

Shiny_Rock
I send the pictures as suggested and here is the new CAD. I didn’t ask for the hole/opening. It looks good to my untrained eyes. Any feedback?
1BA94B01-06BF-4719-9FBA-6CCF82901D93.jpeg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you like that better? It looks more squatty to me and not as elegant. I don't care for the new version.

I much prefer @kayla17 's version that you posted above. I probably would have the stone set lower than what she has
though.

dhimer

Shiny_Rock
I just received the mold and I think I like it but something seems “off”.I asked without the donut so it can sit flush with my wedding bands. However not 100% sold on the side view/way it is attached. Am I overthinking this ?

Attachments

• BEF3A219-C29E-4AAB-BA87-4F61EDE7761D.jpeg
    BEF3A219-C29E-4AAB-BA87-4F61EDE7761D.jpeg
    161.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 92407515-A736-4172-9F80-31E47F28616E.jpeg
    92407515-A736-4172-9F80-31E47F28616E.jpeg
    92 KB · Views: 26
  • EAF7B5C1-1301-4424-9DDE-3703F579F973.jpeg
    EAF7B5C1-1301-4424-9DDE-3703F579F973.jpeg
    93.8 KB · Views: 29

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t think you are overthinking, no.

without knowing exactly it is that you feel is ‘off’ about the model - Can only suggest you go back to look at your original inspirations to remind what specific elements you liked about those - then compare again to what your cad/plastic shows.
Or show those specifics here if you want help in wording the request?

Maybe that might help more than random suggestions I could give?

molecule

Brilliant_Rock
To me, it seems like the basket needs to be taller. I'd prefer if the whole basket touched the top of the finger.

BasketDah.jpg

dhimer

Shiny_Rock
I don’t think you are overthinking, no.

without knowing exactly it is that you feel is ‘off’ about the model - Can only suggest you go back to look at your original inspirations to remind what specific elements you liked about those - then compare again to what your cad/plastic shows.
Or show those specifics here if you want help in wording the request?

Maybe that might help more than random suggestions I could give?

The part that I don’t like is how the head and the shaft are connected together. They don’t seem well integrated...but rather like the head is just “glued on”. I marked the part that bothers me below 9C6E165D-02B0-426F-B3C5-5E5748C6C72B.jpeg FAF8A9FF-700B-4DD4-8DD5-1CFC94C81C3A.jpeg

I love the band, and the top view. Originally I had asked it to be like @D&T ‘s ring (pic below) because I loved it at first sight.

8A8D299D-24B5-472F-A5D4-CA513F27A52D.png

However, when I received the mold I realized I preferred the wedding band to sit flush. Dk had said that if he places a donut underneath, the bands won’t sit flush and had suggested this version instead.
With all that said, I guess I’m looking for a way to better integrate the head and the band, while ensuring flush fit and low profile. Is this even possible or does something have to give ?

dhimer

Shiny_Rock
To me, it seems like the basket needs to be taller. I'd prefer if the whole basket touched the top of the finger.

BasketDah.jpg

Wow, this is a great suggestion (as well as the added visual). I really like how this looks much more cohesive. Because I struggle at properly reading these cads, there is a bit of the band underneath the head right? Like the head is almost wedged into the opening of the band?

WDWDiamond

Shiny_Rock
What about having the band like the first picture in post #7?

D0608660-5BF0-4F2D-BE47-AC421088A1C7.jpeg

Where the shoulders of the band come up to meet the part on the head you don’t like? But have there be no donut so your WR still sits flush.

molecule

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, this is a great suggestion (as well as the added visual). I really like how this looks much more cohesive. Because I struggle at properly reading these cads, there is a bit of the band underneath the head right? Like the head is almost wedged into the opening of the band?

Honestly, that's just bad photoshoping on my end. The diamond would end up not being as close to your finger as possible and the culet would probably be at the point of the band (2.2 mm off the finger), but I really do think that this basket needs to be elongated so that it isn't too squat-y.

molecule

Brilliant_Rock
Honestly, that's just bad photoshoping on my end. The diamond would end up not being as close to your finger as possible and the culet would probably be at the point of the band (2.2 mm off the finger), but I really do think that this basket needs to be elongated so that it isn't too squat-y.

Looking back on @dhimer 's post, how about making the bottom of the basket smaller?

1624410505863.png

dhimer

Shiny_Rock
Looking back on @dhimer 's post, how about making the bottom of the basket smaller?

1624410505863.png

I really like this version. I just kinda discounted it after he said that placing a donut would not allow it to sit flush with my WB. I will ask him if this is an option.
I went back to the first CAD he made and I wonder if this could also work ( as far as integrating the band and head together )
A07B5879-09D0-45E0-8FD1-DE393CA4C603.jpeg

molecule

Brilliant_Rock
I really like this version. I just kinda discounted it after he said that placing a donut would not allow it to sit flush with my WB. I will ask him if this is an option.
I went back to the first CAD he made and I wonder if this could also work ( as far as integrating the band and head together )
A07B5879-09D0-45E0-8FD1-DE393CA4C603.jpeg

Can you post the other view's from this version?

molecule

Brilliant_Rock

I think if you were to lift and elongate the basket in the y direction by ~1mm, you could also narrow the base of the basket into a narrower donut. Right now it looks to be close to 4mm wide at the narrowest part.

dhimer

Shiny_Rock
What about having the band like the first picture in post #7?

D0608660-5BF0-4F2D-BE47-AC421088A1C7.jpeg

Where the shoulders of the band come up to meet the part on the head you don’t like? But have there be no donut so your WR still sits flush.
This could work. I went through old posts and saw 2 settings DK had made similar to your suggestion. They belonged to @mrs-b and @winnietucker But I couldn’t find pictures of them being worn with bands to see if they fit flush
CD2DB51F-8D64-41A1-96DF-A52C6ED2DDEA.jpeg C14D984D-951C-4573-BE85-A3604D175678.png F54B92AA-E698-402E-BA39-6683A9E7060F.jpeg

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you have the basket made a tiny bit higher and also have them make the band swoop up a bit on either side of the basket? I can't photo shop, but for the band I'm thinking something like this crude attempt in red to show you. I'm not sure that a donut, even a small one, will allow a band to sit flush, but this should and then maybe the head wouldn't look like it was just plopped onto the band. I think this is what @WDWDiamond suggested.

Screenshot 2021-06-24 204715.jpg

Last edited:

WDWDiamond

Shiny_Rock
Can you have the basket made a tiny bit higher and also have them make the band swoop up a bit on either side of the basket? I can't photo shop, but for the band I'm thinking something like this crude attempt in red to show you. I'm not sure that a donut, even a small one, will allow a band to sit flush, but this should and then maybe the head wouldn't look like it was just plopped onto the band.

Screenshot 2021-06-24 204715.jpg

This is what I was thinking too! You did a much better job at showing it. :clap:

dhimer

Shiny_Rock
This is what I was thinking too! You did a much better job at showing it. :clap:

This is actually a great suggestion. I will email him about it now.
I sent him the examples previously attached and requested to elongate the head. He responded by providing me this new cad which doesn’t look like the picture above. He said he could not make it sit flush that way. Here is what he sent over
392D797C-9D02-4BD7-9EDB-BCF931416D54.png
I guess it’s better than before ...but still not perfect
I went on his IG and also found another inspiration picture that I will inquire about. I really like the way this is attached, but again not sure if it’s doable
E028EF15-D540-4F05-B4FA-734735696099.png

At this point I’m tempted to just say “yes” to the latest version, just so I can wear my beautiful stone. Doesn’t help that my husband keeps telling me I’m overthinking it (he may be right).

molecule

Brilliant_Rock
It doesn't look like he elongated the basket by making the stone sit higher. I think the latest revision does have a smaller base at the bottom of the basket which is a huge improvement. Don't quit until you're happy!

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The new one has a small donut which will still cause a small gap. I found this on their IG and I don’t think it has a donut but the sides come up the way I was thinking. And another although they only had this side view 31824D6E-D011-4B68-BB7E-CC3C755143FF.png 1993C424-1F30-4DF1-9B5A-8FD7F8BD4BC2.png

Last edited:

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The part that I don’t like is how the head and the shaft are connected together. They don’t seem well integrated...but rather like the head is just “glued on”. I marked the part that bothers me below 9C6E165D-02B0-426F-B3C5-5E5748C6C72B.jpeg FAF8A9FF-700B-4DD4-8DD5-1CFC94C81C3A.jpeg

I love the band, and the top view. Originally I had asked it to be like @D&T ‘s ring (pic below) because I loved it at first sight.

8A8D299D-24B5-472F-A5D4-CA513F27A52D.png

However, when I received the mold I realized I preferred the wedding band to sit flush. Dk had said that if he places a donut underneath, the bands won’t sit flush and had suggested this version instead.
With all that said, I guess I’m looking for a way to better integrate the head and the band, while ensuring flush fit and low profile. Is this even possible or does something have to give ?

I'd still see if you can have a cathedral shank even without the donut. I think the thing you may be liking most about this is the cathedral. IMO they definitely make the head seem more integrated.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd still see if you can have a cathedral shank even without the donut. I think the thing you may be liking most about this is the cathedral. IMO they definitely make the head seem more integrated.
They made a ring for me several years ago with a cathedral and no donut. I wanted to stack with no gap as well. Sorry for the dark terrible photos. Rushing.
F891351A-5C49-4071-99DD-F1117C08B7C8.jpeg 78813D41-843D-4557-A0A3-95A314985B4A.jpeg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results