shape
carat
color
clarity

CAD feedback help

dhimer

Shiny_Rock
Hi. Can I get some feedback on the CAD from DK. It looks good to me but it’s my first custom job.
I had asked for :
Modified dahlia type head
A thicker band - comfort rounded at the bottom
For my wedding band to be able to sit flush with it ( height of band is 2.1mm)
For it to sit as low as possible ( low profile)

Right now not sure if I want a plain band or engraved one but he said engraving would not show on CAD anyways. Anything I should change/add? Thank you ! 15EF3126-D524-4278-A03F-BF64C372AE8F.jpeg

dhimer

Shiny_Rock
My main concern is where the head attaches to the shank - should that be open ( ie a donut) ? Will having it open allow for more light?

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m not sure having a donut lets in more light to the diamond.
There’s no stone depth measurement /no CAD depth measurement to get a ‘feel’ as to how low it’s set to your wish as low as possible.
Integrating the head somewhat into the band (instead of attached to top of band) can make it feel lower as well, and still working with that and angle-curve of the basket /your wish of a band sitting flush.
I don’t know about need for structure security in adding a donut /vs without, but they can be made small enough to have little impact on wband not sitting flush.

The top view of this style setting (to me) greatly changes the look by the angle/sharpness of and amount of metal that peeks out into view. The amount seen in cad is more than what it will turn out to be. Seeing others (going thru the dahlia &friends thread and then seeing if their DK versions cads are posted somewhere ) is a great help in getting a feeling if your cad reflects what you want to see in the end result and discussing it with DK, if it’s something you feel strongly about.

dhimer

Shiny_Rock
I’m not sure having a donut lets in more light to the diamond.
There’s no stone depth measurement /no CAD depth measurement to get a ‘feel’ as to how low it’s set to your wish as low as possible.
Integrating the head somewhat into the band (instead of attached to top of band) can make it feel lower as well, and still working with that and angle-curve of the basket /your wish of a band sitting flush.
I don’t know about need for structure security in adding a donut /vs without, but they can be made small enough to have little impact on wband not sitting flush.

The top view of this style setting (to me) greatly changes the look by the angle/sharpness of and amount of metal that peeks out into view. The amount seen in cad is more than what it will turn out to be. Seeing others (going thru the dahlia &friends thread and then seeing if their DK versions cads are posted somewhere ) is a great help in getting a feeling if your cad reflects what you want to see in the end result and discussing it with DK, if it’s something you feel strongly about.

Thank you so much for the reply. You perfectly articulated what it’s really bothering g me about the design - the part where the head is attached to the band. Would you happen to have any suggestions on how I can integrate it into the band ?
Head will be in WG and band in YG.
Also, some of the examples I was seeing have this opening at the bottom - not really a donut - but not sure if it’s just a design preference or if it adds to the performance of the diamond
5BD0357D-8F6B-4C7F-9376-4B6B1835FD35.png
Lastly, I messaged DK a about the depth measurements and awaiting reply.

Lookinagain

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much for the reply. You perfectly articulated what it’s really bothering g me about the design - the part where the head is attached to the band. Would you happen to have any suggestions on how I can integrate it into the band ?
Head will be in WG and band in YG.
Also, some of the examples I was seeing have this opening at the bottom - not really a donut - but not sure if it’s just a design preference or if it adds to the performance of the diamond
5BD0357D-8F6B-4C7F-9376-4B6B1835FD35.png
Lastly, I messaged DK a about the depth measurements and awaiting reply.

Send this photo to DK and Amy and ask them to make your band a bit taller where it meets the head so that it looks more incorporated, and also make sure they know you want the opening at the bottom as well. They should be able to tweak your design to accomplish this.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I tend to think (but don’t know) that opening in the bottom doesn’t add to performance - other than adding a route to cleaning. Light isn’t going to enter thru there when it’s on your finger.

Any suggestions I could come up with are probably already exampled in the thread I mentioned. Deviations is where you tweak it to your liking.

For my personal preference - I’d tend to lean heavily towards mrs-b’s (old) DK destination ring and valmanin’s (current?) ERD one as my starting point. :)

dhimer

Shiny_Rock
I tend to think (but don’t know) that opening in the bottom doesn’t add to performance - other than adding a route to cleaning. Light isn’t going to enter thru there when it’s on your finger.

Any suggestions I could come up with are probably already exampled in the thread I mentioned. Deviations is where you tweak it to your liking.

For my personal preference - I’d tend to lean heavily towards mrs-b’s (old) DK destination ring and valmanin’s (current?) ERD one as my starting point. :)

I never thought about the cleaning aspect of it. I have never had a ring with the opening there so not sure if it’s something that will benefit the design or not
I went back and looked at the thread and found this variation that may work to integrate it ( @kaylas17 old ring ). Thoughts ?
33AA4A0D-99A8-45C0-9026-A5388E55517B.jpeg
Also for the head I had asked him to just make this one that belonged to D&T and that he has since made several times based on his IG.

11403A98-D8E2-4EF5-A135-10D6697D3769.png

dhimer

Shiny_Rock
I send the pictures as suggested and here is the new CAD. I didn’t ask for the hole/opening. It looks good to my untrained eyes. Any feedback?
1BA94B01-06BF-4719-9FBA-6CCF82901D93.jpeg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you like that better? It looks more squatty to me and not as elegant. I don't care for the new version.

I much prefer @kayla17 's version that you posted above. I probably would have the stone set lower than what she has
though.

Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Father's Day Jewelry: 2021
    Father's Day Jewelry: 2021
    Diamond Prices - June 2021
    Diamond Prices - June 2021
    Guess What: Dispersion and Fire Aren't the Same Thing
    Guess What: Dispersion and Fire Aren't the Same Thing

Need expert help finding that diamonds?

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.