shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying stone and sending to jeweler?

puncho

Rough_Rock
Hi, I'm buying the diamond from WF and having the ring set by a PS recommended jeweler. Should I have it sent directly to them? Or should I have it sent to me to have it appraised first?

WF sends it insured and so does the jeweler but while he is working on it should I have it insured? Thanks!

poshmommy

Brilliant_Rock
Personally I would have it sent directly to the jeweler. Is this one of Whiteflash's ACA? If so, there is no reason to have it appraised first. If it is virtual inventory....maybe. I recently talked with Whiteflash about this same topic. I would have the ring insured from the minute I bought it. Steven Kirsch has his own bench insurance I believe to cover damage during setting. However, he is the only one I have heard of that has it. If you are not using him, I would insure it. Make sure the insurance policy covers the stone while it is being set too. I have heard some do not. However, I have no first hand knowledge about that. Good luck! Let us know what you find out.

puncho

Rough_Rock
Thank you! I'll likely go with Jewelersmutual since they cover it while it's being set. I'll update if I get further info from WF, and yes it's an ACA

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Unless you have a concern about the color or clarity I see no issue with sending it direct to the setting jeweler.

puncho

Rough_Rock
Just an update in case anyone is wondering in the future. WF will not send directly to the jeweler or even you. They will send it to a Fedex depot where you can pick it up (security reasons). If you want to send to the jeweler, you can't use credit card either unless you're local since they check the credit card. Therefore, you have to either 1) wire the money to WF first or 2) have it sent to your nearest Fedex depot and then from there, mail it to the jeweler.

puncho

Rough_Rock
Edit: Apparently if you wire it, then they can send it directly to the jeweler

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
puncho|1465852337|4043650 said:
Edit: Apparently if you wire it, then they can send it directly to the jeweler

Interesting. I was about to reply that they do not send stones directly to ringmakers. I wouldn't have any concerns about doing that as long as I was sure about the color and clarity, because certainly, the ACA cut is top of the line.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
WF will ship to a qualified appraiser. When done, the appraiser can ship to wherever you work out with them (on to you, on to the setter, back to WF)

Most insurance companies won't bind a policy on a loose stone and most jewelers don't take breakage liability for a stone that they didn't sell. If you're worried about insurance, talk to the setting jeweler about what is and what isn't insured.

puncho

Rough_Rock
WF will ship to anywhere if you wire the money to them.

They will ship to a fedex location if you pay by credit card and they will verify the credit card and ID when you go to the fedex location to pick it up.

Jeweler's Mutual will cover the loose stone for a bit while it's being set. They're partnered with WF.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results