shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying online or through a concierge service?

Sparklythingymabobs

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

I’m looking for some advice on which direction I should take.
Should I try to purchase a diamond online (with forum help)?
Or should I use the diamond concierge service, the main one I’m considering is August Vintage.

I’d like to source a 1-1.2 carat oval. My ideal is a great cut (sparkly) oval that faces up white, on the fatter side (LWR 1.3-1.4) and eye clean.

My budget is ~$3500 USD (I know my budget will probably land me in MMD land for the higher end of that carat weight) (let me know if this thread should be moved to the lab diamond area, I just didn’t think it was necessary for a general discussion on purchasing options)

I know ovals can be difficult to assess online. So guidance would be preferable. I have some idea of what to look for but I’m not entirely confident on my own. I’m also outside of the US and would really like to get the right diamond on the first try so I don’t have to figure out how to return it.

At this point, I prefer modern ovals to Elyque ovals but I haven’t see any Elyque ovals in real life to accurately make a judgement call. My main concern is how they face up smaller, and spread is important to me.

My concern is that my budget is not particularly large and I imagine there is a markup in diamonds sourced through the concierge service (entirely reasonable given there is work involved for them). I’m also not sure there is particular value in a concierge since I’m looking on the lower end of carat sizes and relatively ‘basic’ specs.

I’m not too concerned with specific stone recommendations right now but hoping for some insight on both of these options.

Thanks!

Reactions: AV_

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone,

I’m looking for some advice on which direction I should take.
Should I try to purchase a diamond online (with forum help)?
Or should I use the diamond concierge service, the main one I’m considering is August Vintage.

I’d like to source a 1-1.2 carat oval. My ideal is a great cut (sparkly) oval that faces up white, on the fatter side (LWR 1.3-1.4) and eye clean.

My budget is ~$3500 USD (I know my budget will probably land me in MMD land for the higher end of that carat weight) (let me know if this thread should be moved to the lab diamond area, I just didn’t think it was necessary for a general discussion on purchasing options)

I know ovals can be difficult to assess online. So guidance would be preferable. I have some idea of what to look for but I’m not entirely confident on my own. I’m also outside of the US and would really like to get the right diamond on the first try so I don’t have to figure out how to return it.

At this point, I prefer modern ovals to Elyque ovals but I haven’t see any Elyque ovals in real life to accurately make a judgement call. My main concern is how they face up smaller, and spread is important to me.

My concern is that my budget is not particularly large and I imagine there is a markup in diamonds sourced through the concierge service (entirely reasonable given there is work involved for them). I’m also not sure there is particular value in a concierge since I’m looking on the lower end of carat sizes and relatively ‘basic’ specs.

I’m not too concerned with specific stone recommendations right now but hoping for some insight on both of these options.

Thanks!

I think the decision to use a concierge service must be one taken by the individual (not a very helpful response, I know :D lol) - personally speaking, I think we might be able to find you some options to consider first before you take that step :)

You would have to speak to Jon to see what his prices were like for the service! I believe there are quite a lot of options out there in the size range you are looking for, unlike the larger stones, so I think we will have a better chance of finding you something that suits!

re: the AV oval options, IIRC the Elyque is a 'modern' oval cut, whereas the latest (chunky facets) version is an 'antique' style.

Then there are what I would call 'classic ovals', with the band of chunkier facets across the middle and some 'crushed ice' towards each end - these aren't AV stones but the usual sort of thing that we'd be able to search through in the wider market, if that was your preference. :)

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is the $3500 for the diamond only or the diamond and setting (total)?

How low are you willing to go in color? Is it going in a white metal setting or a yellow metal setting?

I think my attitude is to let people look for you and see what they come up with. If they dont find anything you
like or anything that fits the bill contact a diamond concierge.

Last edited:

Sparklythingymabobs

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the opinions. $3500 is for the stone only.
@OoohShiny oops I did mean a ‘classic’ oval

I’m looking to set it as an 18k Rose gold
Solitaire with platinum claws.
I saw some G and H ovals at my local jeweller and they looked very yellow/brown. But that’s probably a combination of poor cut and the fact they were sitting on a white background so it hasn’t put me off it for now. I did see a G round at a different store and it was still very white (also much brighter lighting)

There aren’t too many lower colours at the local jewellers so for now I’d like to be around a H.

My main apprehension is just buying it unseen since I feel like the return process will be a major hassle with overseas shipping and getting import duties refunded.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I saw some G and H ovals at my local jeweller and they looked very yellow/brown. But that’s probably a combination of poor cut and the fact they were sitting on a white background so it hasn’t put me off it for now. I did see a G round at a different store and it was still very white (also much brighter lighting)

What grading labs graded the diamonds you saw at each jeweler? Make sure you get that info, since whether it is a GIA G or EGL G or ungraded "G" or whatever could make a difference to what color the diamond actually is, and could explain why some looked yellower to you than others when they were purportedly the same grade.

Also when viewing in person, try to view in a variety of lighting environments - bring some white sheets of paper to set up an "indirect lighting" scenario, take the diamonds by the window or outside if they let you to see them in natural light, use your phone flashlight, etc. I know it seems like you'll be annoying the salespeople but most good jewelers don't mind (they may not let you take the diamonds outside, which is understandable - I've met only a couple who let you do that, and it may be that they have to hold them throughout all this, which is also understandable and normal) and you'll get a better idea of what color you'll see in the diamonds in different conditions.

Sparklythingymabobs

Rough_Rock
thanks for the tips @distracts ! The paper one sounds like a good tip. I’ll have to try that out next time. The jeweller called in the 3 ovals below so they don’t have them on hand anymore.

I saw a GIA G, IGI E (told it was closer to F) and IGI G (told it was closer to H)

But even the GIA G oval looked substantially darker than a mystery G round I saw for demonstration purposes, which is why I thought it might be poorly cut.

The G round was set in a ring and the ovals were loose so that could have also affecting the colour

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rounds and ovals have different faceting types so will reflect light differently. Was the darkness you saw lack of light reflection (probably appeared more gray) or body color (would probably appear more yellow, especially at the long ends)? I have a pear (more similar faceting style to an oval) and round that are similar sizes and the pear looks much, much darker than the round even though it is a couple colors higher because of the difference in type of light return. There are very, very few ovals that will face up as brightly as a well-cut round, even when they're well cut. Basically the August Vintage Elyque oval and similar that are patterned after round brilliants, and perhaps a handful of lucky antique style ovals. I don't know any regular oval cuts that will face up as brightly simply due to the faceting type - a well-cut one will be very sparkly, but not in the way a round brilliant diamond is, and ime they all look a bit darker in most lighting conditions.

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
My view on the original question:

Ultimately this is a matter of trust. I am aware of such concierge services captained by experts who legitimately put the consumer first. I am aware of others where consumers are steered in a way that puts a seller first, according to who is paying best commissions or offering volume-incentives.

So trust your instincts. Just remember that no-one is working for free. The concierge expects compensation. And be aware - in most cases - once you invoke a concierge (even talking to them in email) you’ve reduced any financial reduction a retail-jeweler could possibly have offered. Because now the concierge is taking a slice of the pie. No problem. If you trust that concierge is truly working on your behalf consider it the same as hiring a realty agent, you’re paying for their expertise.

Live long,

SouthernElle

Shiny_Rock
You’ll pretty much have to go the MMD route to get that size within your budget. AV is currently offering MMD 1 carat vintage ovals for $3500. This will face up smaller than brilliant oval cuts, just an FYI. I ended up not getting an oval because I wasn’t willing to lose significant size or blow my budget on an AV oval. I simply didn’t want it that badly. Ovals are just so tricky and numbers alone don’t mean much. I ended up with an amazing 3.18 carat for less than a 2 carat vintage oval from AV. I don’t regret that, but your wishes might be different. If you want a vintage oval cut, AV is hands down the perfect place. It just comes with a sacrifice.

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
My view on the original question:

...Just remember that no-one is working for free. The concierge expects compensation. And be aware - in most cases - once you invoke a concierge (even talking to them in email) you’ve reduced any financial reduction a retail-jeweler could possibly have offered. Because now the concierge is taking a slice of the pie. No problem. If you trust that concierge is truly working on your behalf consider it the same as hiring a realty agent, you’re paying for their expertise.

Agreed Paul. Surprisingly, many consumers do not understand this. In your experience, @Paul-Antwerp have you found that these services require a flat-fee, or an overall percentage? And how often is this disclosed up front to the shopper?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As is VERY often the case, your budget is low for those specs.
Giving any money to a go-between person is just going to result in even less diamond for your already overly-tight budget.

Let posters here on PS be your "concierge".
We work for free and get no kickbacks, and have no conflict of interest ... and some here probably have more expertise than those who get paid.

Sparklythingymabobs

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the replies everyone!
@kenny I thought that budget was reasonable for what I was looking for but I must have been mistaken. I’ll come back when I have some options for everyone’s feedback

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Agreed Paul. Surprisingly, many consumers do not understand this. In your experience, @Paul-Antwerp have you found that these services require a flat-fee, or an overall percentage? And how often is this disclosed up front to the shopper?

Hi Brian,

Sorry for the late follow-up.

I think that, like in so many occupations, there is a very broad range of very respectable outfits down to very shady. In layman's terms:

- Some concierges clearly communicate their service up-front and their charges.
- At the other side of the spectrum, there are so-called affiliate-sites, where consumers do not even know that simply using a link on these websites leaves a cookie on their computer, and the vendor paying a fee to the affiliate. In the last group of affiliates, some have valid reviews on their websites while others will have produced a website clearly favoring their personal favorite website, without any impartiality. So again, there is a broad range.

Live long,

AV_

Ideal_Rock
You might well ask Jonathan if he has a stone for you.

Spread is important, but so is brightness. Some ovals do both very well [more often, neither] & a slight trade-off for brighteness makes sense - .1 , .2 mm around 1 carat.

2c

Let me see what is out there on the lists!

AV_

Ideal_Rock
ctd.

I have looked for spread & brighteness, in any grades, less than USD 4K & more than 95 points. The database here will have more & I have not searched through it - it is simply more of a chore to look at several sellers, with pictures changing lighting & format to think through.

Digressing,

Nb. I am noticing K color listed & the colour is so exaggerated by macro photography, they look 'Fancy Light' to me - if only! All colour grades are so 'enhanced', but the Ks look downright funny to me.

2c

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi Brian,

Sorry for the late follow-up.

I think that, like in so many occupations, there is a very broad range of very respectable outfits down to very shady. In layman's terms:

- Some concierges clearly communicate their service up-front and their charges.
- At the other side of the spectrum, there are so-called affiliate-sites, where consumers do not even know that simply using a link on these websites leaves a cookie on their computer, and the vendor paying a fee to the affiliate. In the last group of affiliates, some have valid reviews on their websites while others will have produced a website clearly favoring their personal favorite website, without any impartiality. So again, there is a broad range.

Live long,

Understood, Paul. I am certain you are correct. I also feel fairly confident that the educated consumer can simply look at the various concierge sites and either find that disclosure, or not. My take-away, then, as always is that consumer knowledge is key, Being that common practice is to retain a portion of the sale price, the consumer can take the presence or absence of that disclosure into account when choosing whether or not to use that particular service. The free-market at work and all that.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results