shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying Moissanite from Tianyu Gems

Ra2nl

Shiny_Rock
Hi all

I'm thinking to buy a pair of moissanite earrings. Has anyone recently purchased and know the rough cost for 6.5mm size and 14k setting? Also if the vendor claims the stones are H&A - can I ask to see some photos before they ship it? Also, is Tianyu significantly better than Stargems because they seem to also cost a lot more? Thanks!

Ofcourse you can ask them for pics and videos before shipping. Maybe they can provide some pics through a H&A viewer?
I've bought from both and i think Tianyu's customer service is much better. Their CAD measurements are post polishing.
Starsgem CAD's are pre polishing so you will lose some gold weight, thickness and width after polishing. Something to keep in mind.

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all

I'm thinking to buy a pair of moissanite earrings. Has anyone recently purchased and know the rough cost for 6.5mm size and 14k setting? Also if the vendor claims the stones are H&A - can I ask to see some photos before they ship it? Also, is Tianyu significantly better than Stargems because they seem to also cost a lot more? Thanks!

Here Are a couple of CAD’s idea’s. I don’t think at this point there is much difference when it comes to a lot of the stones. They make the 1 carat ones pretty often either as 6 prong or 4. The price of gold is much higher then when I made them but I remember they were something like $280-$300 in 14K. I have some baby antique cushion’s.

87A9A4DA-AC40-4EAF-B9D3-C3268D75BB6C.jpeg 71C26C03-2A78-41F6-B6F2-5E7E555ACC3C.jpeg
0255B8FB-7922-4A47-A445-C2B7F2B0755E.jpeg

NonieMarie

Brilliant_Rock
I'm buying a loose moissanite $35 for shipping. Is that what is expected?

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
I'm buying a loose moissanite $35 for shipping. Is that what is expected?

Yes - that is 3 day Speedpak with DHL. It is very fast straight to your door. The alternative is to pay $3 for snail mail but it takes about 6-8 weeks.

You might want to wait until the live sales that SG and Tianyu are both doing. SG is this Friday/Saturday, depending on where you live and Tianyu is Saturday/Sunday. Still trying to figure out the real time because not everyone recognizes daylight savings at the same time so it gets confusing. Best to watch the countdown’s and create an Alibaba account in advance.

SG:

Tianyu:

NonieMarie

Brilliant_Rock
Yes - that is 3 day Speedpak with DHL. It is very fast straight to your door. The alternative is to pay $3 for snail mail but it takes about 6-8 weeks.

You might want to wait until the live sales that SG and Tianyu are both doing. SG is this Friday/Saturday, depending on where you live and Tianyu is Saturday/Sunday. Still trying to figure out the real time because not everyone recognizes daylight savings at the same time so it gets confusing. Best to watch the countdown’s and create an Alibaba account in advance.

SG:

Tianyu:

Thank you!

NonieMarie

Brilliant_Rock
Are these moissanites similar to AVRs? I have a couple and love them but wanted something less expensive for an extra pendant setting. I'm messaging Ella about a 1ct and with shipping it's $102.

VJ020

Rough_Rock
Thank you @swaye2010 @bludiva @Ra2nl .

I am following the reddit link closely now and it is good that Tianyu and Starsgem are both having active clients (as recent as several hours ago) with great experience. Thank you for that.

From my experience so far, their selection of MMD's seem to have slightly odd proportions (eg. PA 38+ deg or CA 37+ deg, thicker girdles, etc.) but it doesn't mean it's bad and many buyers on reddit seem to be happy, regardless of the proportions! They certainly have higher color that selections from BE and JA.

Thank you for the tip on using paypal, I think I'll try to ask them to go that route with my credit card so I can have some assurance in case things go not as planned. However, like you said, there's really no guarantee what you will find inside the box once you open it or whether they sold you the diamond that you picked.

I am currently using instagram chat - is that a good approach or is there a better method of contacting them? They seem to take a long time to get a picture/video of the diamond i selected and ideal/aset/h&a scope request is unlikely.

Please feel free to share more of your experience and tips with me! I plan to make the purchase in the next few days/week!

mcosme

Shiny_Rock
Ofcourse you can ask them for pics and videos before shipping. Maybe they can provide some pics through a H&A viewer?
I've bought from both and i think Tianyu's customer service is much better. Their CAD measurements are post polishing.
Starsgem CAD's are pre polishing so you will lose some gold weight, thickness and width after polishing. Something to keep in mind.

Here Are a couple of CAD’s idea’s. I don’t think at this point there is much difference when it comes to a lot of the stones. They make the 1 carat ones pretty often either as 6 prong or 4. The price of gold is much higher then when I made them but I remember they were something like $280-$300 in 14K. I have some baby antique cushion’s.

87A9A4DA-AC40-4EAF-B9D3-C3268D75BB6C.jpeg 71C26C03-2A78-41F6-B6F2-5E7E555ACC3C.jpeg
0255B8FB-7922-4A47-A445-C2B7F2B0755E.jpeg

Thank you so much! I just asked for a quote from a few vendors, I think they just quoted me for the standard 4 prong basket. Although I think I'm loving 6 prongs - does it generally cost more if they need to make you a CAD?

Also, I'm torn between martini and basket for earrings - any thoughts?

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you so much! I just asked for a quote from a few vendors, I think they just quoted me for the standard 4 prong basket. Although I think I'm loving 6 prongs - does it generally cost more if they need to make you a CAD?

Also, I'm torn between martini and basket for earrings - any thoughts?

I think you can do martini but once you start getting to one carat each, I find them to be a problem. Mine are not stretched out at all but if you do, they have a tendency to fall forward. If you were them too tight, then they can look too embedded in the ear hole. I like them for small ones like .25 or .30 like the ones I wear in my 2nd hole. I really like the way a regular basket setting fits for me. I haven’t tried the 6 prong tulip settings but a lot of people have started ordering them. I would find ones you look and they can do something similar for you. This is a hard question because people’s ear’s are all different but basket settings in larger sizes are ‘safe’ to me.

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you @swaye2010 @bludiva @Ra2nl .

I am following the reddit link closely now and it is good that Tianyu and Starsgem are both having active clients (as recent as several hours ago) with great experience. Thank you for that.

From my experience so far, their selection of MMD's seem to have slightly odd proportions (eg. PA 38+ deg or CA 37+ deg, thicker girdles, etc.) but it doesn't mean it's bad and many buyers on reddit seem to be happy, regardless of the proportions! They certainly have higher color that selections from BE and JA.

Thank you for the tip on using paypal, I think I'll try to ask them to go that route with my credit card so I can have some assurance in case things go not as planned. However, like you said, there's really no guarantee what you will find inside the box once you open it or whether they sold you the diamond that you picked.

I am currently using instagram chat - is that a good approach or is there a better method of contacting them? They seem to take a long time to get a picture/video of the diamond i selected and ideal/aset/h&a scope request is unlikely.

Please feel free to share more of your experience and tips with me! I plan to make the purchase in the next few days/week!

I joined their sale this morning and they sent me a spreadsheet with what they had on offer. I went back and looked at some of the other companies prices to compare and they were quite a bit more. I did find some reasonably priced Asscher’s that are being sold by Parks but it is still a custom order and probably an extra $1000 by the time I pay all the extra bits for taxes and higher price in the end. Their sale goes on for the next 18 hours or so, depending on where you live. You have to look at their Alibaba site. They will do the H&A viewer but I haven’t seen the ASET’s. I find the color and clarity to be much higher then what I could pull up on rare carat or anything from Diamond Foundry (K & J’s). I am looking at G or H with VS2 or Si if eye clean. If you have specific parameters, I am sure they can work with that for anything custom.

It is not letting me attach the excel sheet so I took some pics of it. I think most of them are gone but there were still some left this morning. The larger rounds are good deal. I really love both the long and the square emerald/Asscher‘s too. Just slightly over my budget for right now though. I would send Ella a note to price out custom. I don’t think it cost any extra - [email protected]

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
I joined their sale this morning and they sent me a spreadsheet with what they had on offer. I went back and looked at some of the other companies prices to compare and they were quite a bit more. I did find some reasonably priced Asscher’s that are being sold by Parks but it is still a custom order and probably an extra $1000 by the time I pay all the extra bits for taxes and higher price in the end. Their sale goes on for the next 18 hours or so, depending on where you live. You have to look at their Alibaba site. They will do the H&A viewer but I haven’t seen the ASET’s. I find the color and clarity to be much higher then what I could pull up on rare carat or anything from Diamond Foundry (K & J’s). I am looking at G or H with VS2 or Si if eye clean. If you have specific parameters, I am sure they can work with that for anything custom.

It is not letting me attach the excel sheet so I took some pics of it. I think most of them are gone but there were still some left this morning. The larger rounds are good deal. I really love both the long and the square emerald/Asscher‘s too. Just slightly over my budget for right now though. I would send Ella a note to price out custom. I don’t think it cost any extra - [email protected]

This is nice, thank you for this. I will need to ask if they have anything 1.25 carats and below and if the sale includes colored labs. I wasn’t too impressed with the pricing for anything in that size range (I also found pricing too similar or higher to NA companies) and their colored labs tended to be on the larger carat side.

Also I know I sound like a broken record but their moissys need to go down in pricing some more. I still need to replace the H&A stone in one of my rings. :lol-2:

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
That is a big ole ACC 3 stone. Just gorgeous! I love the baby split on the sides.

Sachsensox

Rough_Rock
That is a big ole ACC 3 stone. Just gorgeous! I love the baby split on the sides.

Thank you! They did a nice job! My mom has a Charles and colvard three stone radiant. I’m not a huge fan of their setting in general but really love the little split on hers. The lovely gals at tianyu we’re able to do it. And the claws are nice. It’s about the closest to a Leon mege I’m getting for a while!

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock
What do we think of my CAD from Tianyu?

80030EE6-EF37-4717-9E86-0B0A036F7DB7.png

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What do we think of my CAD from Tianyu?

80030EE6-EF37-4717-9E86-0B0A036F7DB7.png

I have a similar ring with a scissor cut center, I think they did a great job on mine fwiw. Are you happy w the cad?

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock
I have a similar ring with a scissor cut center, I think they did a great job on mine fwiw. Are you happy w the cad?

I think so. I’m never very good at being able to tell what it will translate to in real
life from these drawings. I did send them your ring as one of the inspirations.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think so. I’m never very good at being able to tell what it will translate to in real
life from these drawings. I did send them your ring as one of the inspirations.

the CAD is usually a bit beefier than the final product but mine came out really similar to the rendering, i was surprised at how accurate the CAD was tbh. the other rings on this thread seemed to come out pretty true to the CAD also. would just make sure you are happy with the prongs and how the main stone is set and that all the surfaces look well polished before they send it out . good luck!

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
I would have them make the thickness 1.6 mm. The rest looks fine. Tianyu doesn’t polish off quite as much as the other’s. I find when they are under 1.6 mm, they can dent or misshapen faster.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would have them make the thickness 1.6 mm. The rest looks fine. Tianyu doesn’t polish off quite as much as the other’s. I find when they are under 1.6 mm, they can dent or misshapen faster.

that's a good point. i just looked at my cad again and the thickness was 1.8mm fwiw

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock
Well this isn’t going well. They just realized they don’t have the size stones they put in my CAD so they offered me princess cuts instead which is a big nope. So they have to redo the CAD. I’ll post the new one when I get it.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well this isn’t going well. They just realized they don’t have the size stones they put in my CAD so they offered me princess cuts instead which is a big nope. So they have to redo the CAD. I’ll post the new one when I get it.

eeeek oh no! i agree princess are way different, hope they can sort it out to your satisfaction.

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Tianyu is having one of their yearly sales tomorrow if anyone wants to catch it. Here’s the info:
30A11FAC-435F-4A22-891F-C814EE2C4030.jpeg
They said if you make a post on 3 different social media accounts before the live show you can get a free gift. Take a screenshot from 3 (FB, IG, PS, Reddit, YTB) and send them to Ella at [email protected]. Pick a ring out a silver ring that is 1 carat or less and put it in your cart from this link On Aliexpress (need an account):

Here is the link for the show on Thursday:
Let them adjust the cart to 1cent and then you can check out.

They said you don’t have to buy something so everyone might as well get a free ring at least. They send if with regular China Post so it can take 4-6 weeks to arrive unless you want to pay for 3 day ship through DHL ($35)

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, I can’t believe this thread hasn’t been updated in over a year. I’ve been thinking about getting an OEC from Tianyu since MoissaniteCo and Distinctive Gem are still much more than I’d like to spend on moissy, especially now that lab diamonds are becoming more affordable these days. Does anyone still buy from Tianyu these days?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, I can’t believe this thread hasn’t been updated in over a year. I’ve been thinking about getting an OEC from Tianyu since MoissaniteCo and Distinctive Gem are still much more than I’d like to spend on moissy, especially now that lab diamonds are becoming more affordable these days. Does anyone still buy from Tianyu these days?

I’ve had two Tianyu rings but both I bought off LT so I can’t comment on buying from them directly. Actually the last one I bought I don’t even wear because I got my anniversary ring soon after, go figure.

Both stones I’ve seen from them have been gorgeous.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had a Tianyu OEC moissanite. It was very pretty. I recently sold it because it wasn’t getting much wear. I also bought a very pale blue moissanite from them in a modern brilliant cut. That was also very pretty.

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
There are Tianyu OEC photos in the Moissanite subreddit at Reddit. There is more participation and recent material in that forum than on here.
eta: People asked for OEC cut like the August Vintage. Tianyu is better than Provence for OECs. People might have also gotten OECs from "Mona" who used to work for Provence? and now has her own business. ShineyPreciousGems on Reddit is another stone cutter who can definitely cut great moissanites. Most purchasers have been happier with G/H or I/J color stones instead of D/E colorless.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results