shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying Engagement Ring on Ebay? HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Classic Rocker23

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much to everyone...your advise has been amazing! I showed my b/f your postings and he agrees he doesn''t want to chance a purchase this important to an online buy.

Right now we are planning to go next month to jewlers row in Philly, so if anyone knows any good people around that area let me know!

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/3/2008 6:41:24 PM
Author: Diamond*Dana
While I do think that there are good deals to be found on ebay, 2Artists saga rings too clear in my mind. Read the past posts by that PS member
8.gif

This is not meant to be a nasty comment towards ebay sellers, I do a lot of selling on ebay, but there are also some scary people on ebay
23.gif
YUP..good deals on E-bay for sure, https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-new-1-carat-bezel-3-4-eternity-band.86808/ . Can''t wait to get this ring! It''s a chance you take like every online purchase I believe. I just heard from numerous individuals who had sent their e-rings or were having e-rings made by a reputable online jweler, who suddenly without warning..went out of business. Some folks had thousands invested , or were (are) worried they will never see their diamond rings again! It depends how much you are willing to gamble. The ring above cost me around the $500 price range, and I know this particular jeweler sells quality pieces. I KNOW it will be gorgeous in person (once it arrives). If I had the chance to buy a ring from an E-bay seller I wasn''t familiar with, that was more than $3000, I would likely NOT take the chance with my money!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/3/2008 4:12:25 PM
Author: beau13

Date: 6/3/2008 1:20:31 PM
Author: vslover
Do not EVER buy anything from anyone on ebay with a low feedback score. It''s bad news and will set you up for heartbreak. Look for 100% feedback or don''t buy!
I strongly DISAGREE! I have a 95% feedback rating, becuase of ONE negative feedback from some idiot who ended my auction then decided not to pay for the item, and left me negative feedback. I think it was just someone wanting to cause trouble..and another lady who sold me some sample skincare left me a ''neutral'' feedback for whatever reason (I paid instantly, and it was a smooth transaction). So, with over 100 transactions, it''s a shame I am left with the 95%. Despite the 95% rating, I am an EXCELLENT, honest E-bayer who delivers MORE than what I describe in each auction! I have found plenty of great diamond rings on E-bay for GREAT prices, from people who don''t always have a perfect E-bay score! Mind you, the 65% score worries me a bit (from the first link you posted from E-bay)..but anything in the 90''s tells you they are likely a great seller!
Sorry Beau, not to turn this into an Ebay discussion, but I really think it depends. And you can not rely on feedback,
I recently purchased something from a 100% feedback person with a long selling record, and only because they offered 100% money back garauntee.
Well, the item was completely wrong and not what I was led to believe at all - totally fake rubbish.
Low and behold, when I go to collect my refund - She is no longer a registered user and has disappeared!
6.gif

Luckily for me, I paid with paypal - only now, weeks later have they settled my dispute and I have gotten all my money refunded through Paypal. Not one word or reply from the "respectable" seller..For me at least, I am turned off ebay alot now..

I know mine may not be the "usual" experience, but I''m sure it happens every day. And this was only a couple hundred dollars. I have no idea how distressing it would be if somebody had invested thousands, especially on an ering.

Imho, it is irresponsible for these type of risks and hassles I have described to encourage someone to buy an ering on ebay, which is why I never will.

Anywayyy...classic rocker, you have been given some great suggestions for trusted vendors from the girls - I am only one stranger, but I say please buy from someone you can speak to and meet if necessary, not a nameless faceless ebayer..
1.gif

philly317

Rough_Rock
I live in philly and just recently picked out my e-ring with my b/f a few weeks ago! i was on the hunt for a ritani so my choices were a bit limited however there are literally hundreds of stores on jewlers row so im sure you will find something perfect! i recommend starting at steven singers where you can get some free beer or wine - it helped us to relax
1.gif

LGK

Ideal_Rock
I should also add that yeah, you CAN get some deals on ebay, I've purchased two antique diamonds off eBay over the last year, and both were better than the seller had listed in the auction. Nevertheless, you always need to keep in mind that you can get screwed even if you are as smart as possible about buying.

Here are my personal rules for buying higher end stuff on eBay:

1. Ask a buttload of questions, in a friendly tone, but persist with a few of them even if you think you know the answer. If the seller is patient and very helpful, that's a VERY good indication! I'll scratch a purchase off my list if a seller is not helpful with questions because even if the item is listed properly, I just don't want to work with someone who won't answer questions in a swift and friendly fashion, and I've found a lot of dishonest sellers just come off as unhelpful or rude initially, surprisingly. Seems that real sellers who know jewelry are not adverse to giving a lot of information, or answering numerous questions, because they understand large purchases need a lot of reassurance.

2. Ask for more pictures, like rather specific (a profile view, the underside of the ring, a closeup- whatever they don't show in the listing) if you have reason to wonder if the item actually exists, and never buy from a listing with a stock picture. That will go some distance to proving they own it. If they lifted pics from someone else and it's a fake listing, then it isn't that likely they'll be able to provide a really specific view you ask for. Also, I do *not* buy a diamond that doesn't have a clear, macro picture of the real stone you're buying. A good clear closeup shot of a stone can tell you a lot about cut and clarity.

3.Established sellers are the best bet, who deal with high end jewelery specifically. (I broke this rule with the larger OEC I bought, and bought from someone with under 100 feedback, and scared the crap out of myself the whole time I waited for it!) A brick & mortar store address is nice too.

4. Make positive sure you buy from someone with a good return policy. A week is best because then you can stress less about the next tip, but if it's only a few days, that's sometimes OK.

5. Get your goodie appraised before the return period is up! And not by the jewelry store down the street. Shell out the $100 or whatever to go to a real, independant appraiser who doesn't actually sell any jewelry. Make sure, if the item you got is antique, that the appraiser has some familiarity with antique items.

6. Make *sure* your item is shipped insured properly. Things happen in the mail and you want to be positive you're covered from all angles. I always ask sellers to make sure their return addy doesn't say "Jewelry" or "Diamonds" in it too- and also ask for the largest packaging possible so it doesn't look like jewelry. (Most established jewelry sellers will know this so I usually apologize for telling them what I assume they know already.)

7. Use a credit card (not debit!) either through the seller's store terminal or via paypal to pay. That way you have another avenue to try to get your money back if things go badly. Sometimes if a a seller with a B&M store says no credit card payments on more expensive things, they will let you do it if you offer to pay the CC fee. I did that with the larger OEC I purchased.

8. Always, always be willing to walk away from a "great deal". If your gut instinct says something is wrong, it probably is. (The "too good to be true" thing often applies but I've met an exception or two over the years.)

Still, it's a gamble even if you don't talk yourself into breaking one of the above rules. It's best if you don't buy anything you can't afford to lose. Both times I've bought diamonds on eBay, I got lucky and found that the item was much better than listed.

sba771

Brilliant_Rock
Hi,

I see you are in Philly- I suggest you go see Buddy Bear- while he is not on Jewelers row but in Lower Merion, he is outstanding and honest and deals with a lot of estate pieces and I am sure he would work with you. I adore him!

IronMikey

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/3/2008 1:20:31 PM
Author: vslover
Do not EVER buy anything from anyone on ebay with a low feedback score. It''s bad news and will set you up for heartbreak. Look for 100% feedback or don''t buy!

Words to live by...

Ebay is a haven for knockoffs -- I wouldn''t buy anything that isn''t a dvd/video game on there these days.

Classic Rocker23

Rough_Rock
How was the service at steven singer? I have heard so many mixed reviews about their service and selection that I''m scared to go and have a terrible experience and just not want to check any other place out.

Also, how was the jeweler''s row experience? I really am looking for vendors that will work with me and won''t just brush me off or ignore me because i want to take my time and look around tomake sure i''m getting the best product for my cash.

NeverEndingUpgrade

Brilliant_Rock
I bought 2 semi-mounts from Oxford Diamond Co. on Ebay and they were very nice (my jeweler said so). I returned one because my stone would not fit it, and they refunded my money immediately.

BUT-- I would buy a diamond only from GoodOldGold.com (also Whiteflash and NiceIce). In fact, I am looking at diamonds at GOG and settings at Oxford because I want a nice halo RHR without spending a fortune on a designer ring.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jewelers row is tricky. You really have to know your stuff to buy wisely. Be prepared for lots of pressure to buy on the spot, kinda like car salesmen. I would direct you to www.whiteflash.com , www.goooldgold.com I have bought from both, and have nothing but great things to say about them.

On the Main Line, I love Jack Kellmer''s. They also have a store on Walnut street. I have dealt with them for 15 years or so.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results