shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying Engagement Ring on Ebay? HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Classic Rocker23

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone! I''m new to the forum and this is my first time posting.
9.gif

I really could use some 3rd party advise. My bf and I have been talking about getting engaged for the longest time and this weekend we sat down and discussed what kind of ring I want and how much he currently has saved, about 3-4 thousand.

A this moment I have two choices in mind and they are both on Ebay.

I have posted to links below to both pages so you can have a look and tell me the best option.

The first is a Tiffany Legacy Style ring, but I don''t think a ring that nice looking at that price can be true. Plus, there is always the thought in the back of my head why get a Tiffany look alike when we haven''t even been to Tiffany''s to price out the real Legacy rings.

The second is a white sapphire in an antique mounting that I just adore! This is our "cheap" option because most likely we would wait and save so we could replace the sapphire with a with a really nice diamond at a later point.

Which ring is better? Are we crazy to get a ring online or is this a good option for a young couple? So confused... any insight would be great!
1.gif

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=380031179976&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=025 (Tiffany Style)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=230122426533&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=013 (Sapphire)

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/3/2008 12:44:31 PM
Author:Classic Rocker23
Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum and this is my first time posting.
9.gif

I really could use some 3rd party advise. My bf and I have been talking about getting engaged for the longest time and this weekend we sat down and discussed what kind of ring I want and how much he currently has saved, about 3-4 thousand.

A this moment I have two choices in mind and they are both on Ebay.

I have posted to links below to both pages so you can have a look and tell me the best option.

The first is a Tiffany Legacy Style ring, but I don't think a ring that nice looking at that price can be true. Plus, there is always the thought in the back of my head why get a Tiffany look alike when we haven't even been to Tiffany's to price out the real Legacy rings.

The second is a white sapphire in an antique mounting that I just adore! This is our 'cheap' option because most likely we would wait and save so we could replace the sapphire with a with a really nice diamond at a later point.

Which ring is better? Are we crazy to get a ring online or is this a good option for a young couple? So confused... any insight would be great!
1.gif

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=380031179976&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=025 (Tiffany Style)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=230122426533&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=013 (Sapphire)
Welcome!

If you do a search on Ebay you will see lots of info of experiences with them, I would strongly advise looking at some of the trusted online vendors and staying away from Ebay for making such an important purchase!

You have a nice budget, check out-

www.whiteflash.com

www.winkjones.com

www.goodoldgold.com

www.engagementringsdirect.com

www.jamesallen.com

All of these vendors have an excellent rep here, you can buy with confidence from them. What exactly are you looking for, can you give us an idea of shape, size, colour and clarity? Then we can perhaps give you some guidance on how to find your ring!

Classic Rocker23

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much for the warm welcome.

I really love the cushion and emerald cuts. I gave my b/f a heart attack when I told him I looked at the Tiffany''s, but honestly it was the first ring I ever saw that made me say "wow i want that!"

I don''t care so much about carat size. I would much rather have something that is great quality and shines. At least a J, VS1 is where I am thinking the bar is set.

vslover

Shiny_Rock
Do not EVER buy anything from anyone on ebay with a low feedback score. It''s bad news and will set you up for heartbreak. Look for 100% feedback or don''t buy!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/3/2008 1:18:17 PM
Author: Classic Rocker23
Thank you so much for the warm welcome.

I really love the cushion and emerald cuts. I gave my b/f a heart attack when I told him I looked at the Tiffany''s, but honestly it was the first ring I ever saw that made me say ''wow i want that!''

I don''t care so much about carat size. I would much rather have something that is great quality and shines. At least a J, VS1 is where I am thinking the bar is set.
I would suggest contacting these two vendors - this guy Mark at www.engagementringsdirect.com is known as the Cushion King for good reason, he has found some incredible cushions for PSers! He is also good with EC''s.

Also try www.goodoldgold.com as Jon has some lovely cushions and EC''s he has sold in the past.

Classic Rocker23

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much! I will definatly check these guys out and keep you posted on what happens.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/3/2008 1:27:47 PM
Thank you so much! I will definatly check these guys out and keep you posted on what happens.
You are very welcome! You will be in very expert and safe hands with these guys!

Cleopatra

Brilliant_Rock
The antique style ring is pretty - although is says 14K white gold - It looks very yellow to me ??? Although, it could be the computer screen
40.gif

Classic Rocker23

Rough_Rock
It might be the screen cause on mine it looks silver, plus it is a new ring made from an antique mold so I think they are trying to make it look more antique..idk.

I love this mounting. I found an antique ring for sale online that was in this exact mounting, but can not for the life of me find it again. Hence the allure of being able to buy the mounting and put the diamond of my choice in it.

2Artists

Brilliant_Rock
Well personally I got bit on the butt on ebay-but others have been more lucky. There are some wonderful honest sellers on ebay and some crooks. I wrote about what happened to me with ebay on here so if you click my username- you can see my story about what NOT to do. If you go that route be very very careful. And do check out the sellers name and rep on toolhaus (google toolhaus and ebay) to see all negative and withdrawn feedbacks that are hidden on ebay. I learned that trick to late on PS. I have seen tons of people with your budget come here and get tons of help from diamond experts and find gorgeous e-rings. People here will be your own personal diamond detectives. They are super smart about this stuff. Like crazy genius smart. And kind enough to give their time. Whether your style be modern or antique. There are also Pricescope vendors that lots of people have had great success with that are more of a sure thing too.
1.gif

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
The first link you attached freaks me out with a 66% approval rating
23.gif

I do know several posters from another jewelry related forum that have purchased settings from Bluefox with satisfaction (that''s really what you''re buying, the setting. The white sapphire is sort of a bonus).

Classic Rocker23

Rough_Rock
yea the rating really freaks me out too, especially since I am an avid ebayer and know better!

Bluefoxx''s rating is 100% which makes me think if we decide to go the upgrade route it is not a bad choice to get the white sapphire as a temp stone and have the setting I really love. My b/f on the other hand says it makes him feel like less of a man to have a temp stone..haha!

Do you know if anyone has ever had a problem with the 14k gold from them? I have heard mixed opinions on the quality of 14k.

Classic Rocker23

Rough_Rock
thanks that is what I am hoping! There is only so much you can read and just on ur own before u need an outside opinion. Plus, it is so awkward for me to think of myself going into a jewler and asking them all my crazy questions. I have read so many posts on here and everyone is so educated that I trust this site more than any other.

I have never heard of the google toolhaus..i must try it out cause i love ebay and online shopping!

2Artists

Brilliant_Rock
It''s www.toolhaus.org. Best luck I have also heard www.singlestone.com has lovely antique and antique style stuff. If that is the style you are looking for.

beau13

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/3/2008 1:20:31 PM
Author: vslover
Do not EVER buy anything from anyone on ebay with a low feedback score. It''s bad news and will set you up for heartbreak. Look for 100% feedback or don''t buy!
I strongly DISAGREE! I have a 95% feedback rating, becuase of ONE negative feedback from some idiot who ended my auction then decided not to pay for the item, and left me negative feedback. I think it was just someone wanting to cause trouble..and another lady who sold me some sample skincare left me a "neutral" feedback for whatever reason (I paid instantly, and it was a smooth transaction). So, with over 100 transactions, it''s a shame I am left with the 95%. Despite the 95% rating, I am an EXCELLENT, honest E-bayer who delivers MORE than what I describe in each auction! I have found plenty of great diamond rings on E-bay for GREAT prices, from people who don''t always have a perfect E-bay score! Mind you, the 65% score worries me a bit (from the first link you posted from E-bay)..but anything in the 90''s tells you they are likely a great seller!

KCCutie

Brilliant_Rock
Sounds like we have similar taste and a fairly similar budget. About what size stone do you think you want?

If you will be happy with around 1ct you can surely find an EC in your range and you could put it in a simple solitaire setting for now and upgrade to something more antique later. Trust me I''ve been looking at(read drooling over) EC''s for a couple months now they are out there.

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
I clicked the two links and it says that it is no longer there.
33.gif

Classic Rocker23

Rough_Rock
CT size really doesn''t matter me me. I would much rather have .5 ct of a diamond that is great quality then a huge rock with flaws. the b/f however really wants 1ct.

I know EC''s just floor me when I look at them, but I''m not sure I want to go with that route cause I always come back the the Tiffany Legacy as my dream engagement ring. I was actually reading on another thread that if it is the Legacy you want then you really can''t copy that. If I could get my b/f to go into a Tiffany''s with me and price out the ring i would! Any tips to get reluctant men to the store..lol.
3.gif

That is actually a really great idea about upgrading the setting I have never thought to do that though! Everyone has such great ideas on here.

Classic Rocker23

Rough_Rock
I just clicked them and it worked , but I will try to just post the pics later although now with everyones advise i feel like i am starting a whole new search!

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
Ok, I clicked on the links directly from your post and they worked. Before I had clicked on them through a quote of your post.

As far as the Legacy, I love it as well and had a version of it made for a round stone. I like it better than the Tiffany Legacy to be honest, although I still want the Tiffany version with a pink sapphire. As far as only being able to get it at Tiffany, that's basically because of the cut of the stone. It's a patented cut that no one can copy for a few more years (anyone remember the exact year?). You should definitely check out the vendors people linked to here. Mark from ERD also makes a really good version of the Legacy that you may like (assuming you don't want the patented cut cushion).

2Artists

Brilliant_Rock
beau13 I feel your pain-non-paying bidders-were so not fun to deal with. I will say years ago it seemed that I ran into fewer odd balls or non-paying bidders. Now I''m pretty much out of the scene unless buying something cheap and obscure and hard to find elsewhere. Classic Rocker23 if you have not done so already you can do a search here on the Tiffany Legacy. Tons of info. Also have you tried one(or something similar) on in person yet? That can help you know for sure if it is the style ring for you.
1.gif

Classic Rocker23

Rough_Rock
Yea. form what I can tell the cut of the Tiif Legacy diamond compared to others is something I think I will need to see in person to really get the effect and see if the difference is that drastic. I was actually looking on ERD and I''m stuck between the bari, the marla, and the heather.

A Pink Sapphire Legacy would be beautiful! Please let me know if you get it I must see a pic.

Classic Rocker23

Rough_Rock
No, i haven''t tried anything on yet. I really want to but the bf doesnt even want to go near a tiffanys so i can check out the real deal before scaling it back with a look-a-like. Plus he work weekends and finding time to get out has been problematic.

yea this site is great for legacy info. I have been putting in a ton of searches...it always seems to come back to that cut!

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
While I do think that there are good deals to be found on ebay, 2Artists saga rings too clear in my mind. Read the past posts by that PS member
8.gif

This is not meant to be a nasty comment towards ebay sellers, I do a lot of selling on ebay, but there are also some scary people on ebay
23.gif

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/3/2008 6:21:19 PM
Yea. form what I can tell the cut of the Tiif Legacy diamond compared to others is something I think I will need to see in person to really get the effect and see if the difference is that drastic. I was actually looking on ERD and I''m stuck between the bari, the marla, and the heather.

A Pink Sapphire Legacy would be beautiful! Please let me know if you get it I must see a pic.

It will be a few years (decades?!?) before I see a Pink Legacy, I just got my Ering lol. Incidentally, I really don''t like the patented cut of the diamond Legacy but LOVE it in the colored gems. But you may like it.

anemone

Rough_Rock
Keep in mind folks that that ebay seller in the first link has a 67% positive only for the LAST 12 months. I''d say the real pos feedback is closer to 98%.

That said, I wouldn''t buy a J color until you''ve looked at some stones in person and determined if you are a color sensitive person or not. Heck ebay wouldn''t be where I''d look either.

Your budget is plenty for a lovely ring.

There are PAGES of cushion cut stones from $3000-$4000 ranging from 0.5-1.2 carats at Engagement Rings Direct.

http://tinyurl.com/4pnyvg

Figure $500 for a white gold solitaire setting and you''re in great shape.

In this price range for a cushion you can get a 1.2 carat J color SI1 or a 0.8 carat E color VS1. Then you have symmetry and cut quality.

tc328

Rough_Rock
no way I will buy a diamond (or any item over $300) on ebay even if the buyer has 100% feedback....imo

krisvrn

Brilliant_Rock
Hello take your time in looking for a ring, personally, I don''t think Ebay is a good idea. But if you do decide on Ebay, please do your homework and research everything. I think you would get a better diamond, better deal on a PS vendor.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
I have purchased a setting for a fun ring from the second seller, bluefoxxcreations. The quality is quite low, even for the price. I actually never managed to get a stone set into my setting from them- it was too poorly made and my bench guy said one prong was nonfunctional and it would be a lot of reworking to make it hold a stone... someday I might bother after I''ve forgotten the $100 I already wasted on it. Sure, they''ve got some pretty designs, but the casts are pretty badly done, at least the one I have. Oh, and they listed the setting as working for a 6-6.5mm stone, and it was *way* too small for a 6.5mm. Even 6mm was pushing it.

Oh, and they''re settings aren''t rhodium plated, so the 14K white gold looks very yellowish.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results