shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying antique ring online - what questions should we ask?

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Re: Buying antique ring online - what questions should we as

I didn't read all the opinions but glanced at a few that differ from my own. As a frequent buyer of old stones, I really don't think the same principles for new stones apply. Old stone buyers are generally more flexible.

I use to not think much of EGL-USA based on the negative connotation around it. However, I am a converted fan of EGL-USA especially for old stones. I find the EGL-USA lab in Canada extremely consistent and rather accurate. It is absolutely not a crap shoot and pretty much on par based on clarity and one color off on color.

I would be sad to see someone pass up on a potential old cut diamond because of stringent rules shared here for newly cut diamonds.

hippi_pixi

Brilliant_Rock

Rhea to buy something over a certain limit (i believe it is $1000) and import it into australia we have to pay 10% GST and 5% customs tax. i don't have the personal experience but when i was looking at spending $30,000 on a diamond from the US i asked around and researched on pricescope and was pretty convinced that the 5% can be avoided if the seller fills out paperwork that indicates the product was wholly made within the US (eg. a ring. but not a loose stone). this is because we have a trade agreement with the US

However i believe that the 10% is unavoidable and nonrefundable if you returned the product.

I'd love to be proved wrong though!!!

shadiou

Rough_Rock

So payment has gone through and the ring is on its way to me....so I can finally reveal my choice :love:

http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.com/Jewelry/Modern-and-Estate-Pieces/170ct-Fancy-Light-Brownish/22955941_CW6T5S#!i=1863052794&k=XcmCW3T

it's gorgeous! Thank you so much to everyone who suggested JbEG to me :)

The centre diamond is a gorgeous old mine cut and comes with GIA certification, in an art deco setting! There is also an appraisal by Dave Atlas, so I feel pretty secure in it's value.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium

hippi_pixi|1371302624|3466422 said:
Rhea to buy something over a certain limit (i believe it is $1000) and import it into australia we have to pay 10% GST and 5% customs tax. i don't have the personal experience but when i was looking at spending $30,000 on a diamond from the US i asked around and researched on pricescope and was pretty convinced that the 5% can be avoided if the seller fills out paperwork that indicates the product was wholly made within the US (eg. a ring. but not a loose stone). this is because we have a trade agreement with the US

However i believe that the 10% is unavoidable and nonrefundable if you returned the product.

Ah, that's too bad! We get ours refunded if we then return the ring. Or least we used to. It makes it less chancy to import and decide you don't like it.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium

shadiou|1371733964|3469249 said:
So payment has gone through and the ring is on its way to me....so I can finally reveal my choice :love:

http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.com/Jewelry/Modern-and-Estate-Pieces/170ct-Fancy-Light-Brownish/22955941_CW6T5S#!i=1863052794&k=XcmCW3T

it's gorgeous! Thank you so much to everyone who suggested JbEG to me :)

Wow! That definitely takes up some serious finger real estate! Please show us when you get it.

shadiou

Rough_Rock

hippi_pixi|1371302624|3466422 said:

I spoke to a friend of mine who is a lawyer with Australian customs and she said the 10% may be refundable in certain circumstances, that said, even we can't figure out under WHAT exact circumstances (I'm a lawyer too). The information is just not clearly available anywhere I can find. JbEG have filled out the necessary paperwork so we won't have to pay the 5% :twirl:

SB621

Ideal_Rock

Beautiful ring! I have been eyeing that one for awhile and this will be some serious finger coverage!

Congrats!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results