shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying a Used T&CO Ring

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
My friend is thinking about buying a used T&CO engagement ring. I remember reading a lot about this but I can't find any of the threads now. In particular, can anyone locate the thread where someone bought a T&CO ring from eBay and used some certificates then T&CO replaced the setting and gave her back the original?

Anyways, if not ... can anyone help out with the following questions?
1. Can the ownership name be changed?
2. Will T&CO resize the ring if not the original owner?
3. Will they polish and "make new" the ring?
4. Can the reports / paper work be refreshed?

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
I remember that thread, that girl was crafty.
I have bought two used rings and the answer to all those questions is yes (they never even charged me) except they can not reproduce the diamond certificates.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
kelpie|1306337670|2929909 said:
I have bought two used rings and the answer to all those questions is yes (they never even charged me) except they can not reproduce the diamond certificates.

Can you pay them to re-certify the diamonds? My friend is concerned that the date is old.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
CharmyPoo|1306338068|2929912 said:
kelpie|1306337670|2929909 said:

Can you pay them to re-certify the diamonds? My friend is concerned that the date is old.

Nope. You can only get an updated appraisal.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I also think that the policies vary a little by the shop. I can recall some situations like this where people were told "no" to some of the things you would like at one store, but were told "yes" by the head office or another store.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
CharmyPoo|1306339998|2929932 said:

I recall that thread. I admit, it made my spidey senses tingle a little ;)) Sounded a little... ummm... too good to be true.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1306353753|2930105 said:
I recall that thread. I admit, it made my spidey senses tingle a little ;)) Sounded a little... ummm... too good to be true.

I thought the same but everything checked out. Her won ebay auction was up and the ring was as described ... then she also posted the setting auction and it was as described. Good for her.

Liv69

Rough_Rock
Hi there

We purchased a Tiffany and Co Novo ring last month. All is possible except for the reissue of diamond certificates. T and Co were very gracious when we went to have the ring authenticated and have resized it for me gratis.

I hope this helps!

luckyme65

Rough_Rock
I bought a Tiffany and Co. sapphire ring on ebay a few years ago, it came from a reputable seller, or so I thought. I paid about what the sapphire would be worth retail. (it was plat. with 2 trillions) When I got it, I wasn't sure about it, so I took it to Tiffany. They politely indicated they couldn't find any record of the ring. I then took it to my local jeweler and she uncovered the truth. The mounting was previously yellow gold....the sapphire was old and chipped inside of the bezel setting...someone then cut the head out of the previous setting (sapphire and trillions) and pieced it to a platinum Tiffany wedding band, so it would have the hallmark. They then rhodium plated the whole thing to make it look all equally platinum. What a joke. This took several months investigate and by the time I found out what happened it was too late to do anything.

I ended up removing the beautiful unheated sapphire, had it recut (4.4 ct to 4.2ct) and reset it into a micro pave halo, split shank. In the end, I was happy with the sapphire and will use the trillions in some other project down the road.

Since then, I have purchased other T&Co pieces....diamond eternity band, sapphire and diamond eternity band and most recently I bought the Schlumberger eternity band (currently $9700, I paid $2650 lol). I always pay less than half of retail.

I still :love: ebay!

luckky

Shiny_Rock
luckyme65|1311549887|2975983 said:
I bought a Tiffany and Co. sapphire ring on ebay a few years ago, it came from a reputable seller, or so I thought. I paid about what the sapphire would be worth retail. (it was plat. with 2 trillions) When I got it, I wasn't sure about it, so I took it to Tiffany. They politely indicated they couldn't find any record of the ring. I then took it to my local jeweler and she uncovered the truth. The mounting was previously yellow gold....the sapphire was old and chipped inside of the bezel setting...someone then cut the head out of the previous setting (sapphire and trillions) and pieced it to a platinum Tiffany wedding band, so it would have the hallmark. They then rhodium plated the whole thing to make it look all equally platinum. What a joke. This took several months investigate and by the time I found out what happened it was too late to do anything.

I ended up removing the beautiful unheated sapphire, had it recut (4.4 ct to 4.2ct) and reset it into a micro pave halo, split shank. In the end, I was happy with the sapphire and will use the trillions in some other project down the road.

Since then, I have purchased other T&Co pieces....diamond eternity band, sapphire and diamond eternity band and most recently I bought the Schlumberger eternity band (currently $9700, I paid $2650 lol). I always pay less than half of retail.

I still :love: ebay!

Show us a pictures please!!!!!! :appl: any hand shot would be great! Cheer!

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
I just read through that entire post on the ebay preloved then reset Tiffany ring... Holy S!!!!

I am ridiculously impressed by how well she made out on that ring. Amazing deal. Amazingly resourceful.

I wouldn't buy a Hyundai accent for any sum of money at all though, but I'll only reveal that cos this is a jewelry forum :) Bad car choices are not spared. :lol:

There are so many good considerations in her thread... A very logical and orderly mind. I was feeling a bit :love: for the OP's brilliance :)) but if we were dating I'd buy my own car.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
She was crafty. Charmy, I would call up your local Tiffany and ask them about their policies... I do think some stores are more permissive than others. I know here in the Bay Area one of our stores has excellent customer services and really goes the extra mile, and one of the others (we have like 5 around here) is a pain about everything.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results