shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying a diamond in Toronto, Canada: My experience.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

trichrome

Shiny_Rock
i have sent you by email her name and phone number

tri

blakeo

Rough_Rock
she said yes!!!

blakeo

Rough_Rock
finished product...
appl.gif

Picture 201a.jpg

blakeo

Rough_Rock
shot 2

Picture 202a.jpg

blakeo

Rough_Rock
final shot

Picture 196a.jpg

curiouscanuck

Rough_Rock
Wow!!
3.gif
It's beautiful!!
Congratulations! All the best to you!
9.gif

magna2

Shiny_Rock
Congratualtions!!! Nice to havve finally seen the finished product.

rodent.gif

iceprincess

Shiny_Rock
Blako,
Congrats to you and your sweetheart. Thanks for your post and researching. I too, love the classic Tiffany setting by Superbcert and wondered if they sold the setting without having to purchase the diamond from them. Your ring is absolutely gorgeous!
love.gif

blakeo

Rough_Rock
Hi - just following up on this old thread to give an update on a matching band and make some observations some months on.
Firstly, how pleased we both are with the e-ring from superbcert/ USACerted. I regularly see my fiancée (C) looking at it with a small smile on her face when she thinks no-one is looking.

So now as we count down to 'the big day' we've both been looking at wedding bands from different locations. As you could guess buy previous posts, my preferences lie in the 'traditional' and 'classic' corner. C made the comment that while the Tiffany setting is OK, she would like something a little bit different in the wedding band. Her preference was for matching his and hers bands with two tone metal and a strong design. Specifically (coming from Canada) she liked some rings we saw when we were visiting British Columbia that incorporated 'Haida Gwai' design elements (the raven, whale and salmon motifs of the indigenous people of the Queen Charlotte Islands).

Rightly or wrongly, I was of the opinion that while these were beautiful in their own right, the wedding band should look to match the e-ring and that what looks eclectic today may look passé' in 20 years.

While picking the e-ring was my choice (as it was a surprise), picking the actual band was something we wanted to do together. We wanted to get rings that we both had input into selecting and both wanted to wear into our old age together.

We next looked at more contemporary bands with a mixture of white and yellow gold, both on line and in stores. It's surprising how different the real thing looks on your hand as opposed to a website. My initial view in looking on line was that a lot of the designs looked like industrial machinery washers, but on her hand, they had a much warmer and nicer look to them, they glowed and actually made the polished platinum of the e-ring look a bit cold. C on the other hand moved away from this design for a related reason - she liked the look on the internet but it didn't match on her finger next to the other ring.

Next we looked at straight platinum bands, and C was surprised how nice these actually looked, setting off the solitaire. This suited me (traditional) and had an appealing look to her but what if she was just wearing the band? This isn't something I had considered at all - I had assumed that you wore the band and the e-ring together all the time, but apparently not (not while travelling/ backpacking, camping, gardening etc). On its own, the straight band looked a bit plain.

We took trips to all the local stores (Birks, European Jewellers, mauls etc) and kept coming back to one that stood out for us - platinum band with 5-7 channel set diamonds. Having had a good experience online, we looked at some of the trusted sites and liked the look of the following:

http://www.mondera.com/jewelry/product.asp?mscssid=VPMX8JLBEM3B8NW867MN8DLVEP24D4E4&partno=3001926&navbar=Wedding

http://www.bluenile.com/product_details.asp?oid=4113&catid=126&filter_id=0&nav1=band_channel.asp&page=1&col=2&row=3&pos=8&set_shape=

http://www.mondera.com/jewelry/product.asp?mscssid=VPMX8JLBEM3B8NW867MN8DLVEP24D4E4&partno=3002269&navbar=Wedding

C liked the channel setting with a smaller number of larger diamonds that left some metal on each side of the diamond showing when you put your fingers together. We decided to go and look specifically for this ring in shops, get an exact design that we loved then come back and get this on line. One of the things we quickly found was that you can look at 20 versions of essentially the same design and have a variety of positive and negative reactions.

We went back to the jewellery shop where I had the diamond set in the e-ring (see previous posts) - great selection, helpful staff - people who actually know what you're talking about when you say 950 Pt, Ruthenium alloy, AGS 000 without looking at you like you asked them for a possum on a stick.

With a large selection to choose from, we spent a lot of time pulling off the e-ring, slipping on the wedding band, putting the e-ring back on etc. The subtle variables of overall width of the band, width of the metal showing between the diamond and the edge of the band, if the band was 'square' or rounded, if the diamonds were mounted touching each other or separated by small point clasps between them, if the last diamond in the channel was wrapped by the curve of the metal or had a v-slot showing where it had been pushed into the channel all influenced whether the final 'look' was elegant or clunky. Again, it was surprising what looked good on the finger next to the e-ring as opposed to under the glass.

We discussed with the jeweller the option of him custom building a design if we could supply the picture of what we wanted. When we thought about this later, we kept coming back to the opinion that unless you could see it on your hand before you bought it, there was a reasonable chance that you may be surprised/ disappointed with the result. Problem - this also applied to designs we saw and thought we liked on line.

Acknowledging this, we decided to check out the designs from the source of many a cynical post, the Tiffany store itself. Being only a few blocks away, we had passed it many times in going to the others.

When asked, C's view has been 'overpriced, rip-off, not worth it'. One of the things she actually likes most is that she got a fantastic e-ring without paying through the nose for branding (C is definitely NOT interested in intangibles and branding). However. They do do nice work.

Now here's something nice to know - the Tiffany sales clerk's commented on how she had made an excellent choice with their e-ring
loopy.gif
- they couldn't tell the difference from their own product, nor did we inform them of their error - they offered to take it and polish it up on the spot ("we do that for all Tiffany rings"). Say what you will about the brand itself, but the quality and design of the channel set wedding bands was superb and a cut above anything else we had seen in person. The bands were thin, tightly wrapping the stones and contoured around them at each end stone. The colour of their platinum matched exactly the colour of the e-ring (many of the settings we had seen in other stores used white gold or rhodium plating and at leased appeared a little different to my eyes). There was no gapping hollow moulding on the inside of the ring - it was all polished as opposed to unfinished for most of the other rings we saw from other locations. It was solid, rather than looking a little 'hollow' (many of the other rings you could see your finger through the gaps between the diamonds in the channel).

Another thing was that many many of the stores we had gone to, including where I had got the e-ring set, commented that with such small diamonds (.3 to .4ct set over 7-11 diamonds) you can get away with much lower quality stones and hence much lower prices. Most if not all stones this size from the jewellers were "G-H and between SI and I". When pressed more specifically as to "SI1 or SI3", most didn't have a clue what I was talking about. None of them could provide any information on the quality of the cut". Having a small but dangerous amount of knowledge thanks to the GOG site, I asked for a loupe and what I saw was horrible - many looked like nothing more than cloudy bits of uncut glass. Conversely, at the Tiffany store, the ring shone with brilliance and fire. Tiffany uses nothing less than G in colour and VS2 in clarity, and all diamonds (what ever the size) are "Tiffany Cut". I think I'm more cynical than most, and I believe that I would take AGS 000 H&A any day of the week over "Tiffany Cut" but the difference between the scrap they put in the maul jewellery shops we saw VS what we saw there significantly different.

We came away talking about 3 options - plain 3mm band (classic, classy, sets off the solitaire but a bit dull on its own without the e-ring beside it), .25ct over 9 stones (elegant, sparkly, much more interesting, but looks more like glitter than actual diamonds unless you look close) and 0.33 over 9 stones (a bit more robust, you can see each stone as an individual, great colour and brilliance, looks good with or without the e-ring, but detracts a little from the e-ring solitaire - or complements it depending on your viewpoint).

OK - back to the web because the price is excessive (approx Canadian $800, $2300, $2800 respectively).

We searched around but kept getting the nagging thought that unlike the solitaire where its big enough that you can get an AGS certificate on the stones and can see the settings, with this particular design, there really are many variables to consider and you can't tell till you have it on.

We came down to the conclusion that, money aside, the two front runners were either the Tiffany .33 setting or a .4 from "The Jewellery Centre" where I got the e-Ring set.

In the mean time, C's b-day was coming around. She had commented while we were in Tiffany that while most of the stuff was gaudy, she did like a blobby silver bracelet. I got her a few things for her b-day, including utilitarian things like Teva's for our honeymoon rafting trip down the Grand Canyon, so for some thing 'girly' I got her the bracelet (actually pretty reasonably priced).

For someone who doesn't put weight in branding, she seemed very pleased with the little blue bag with the little blue box with the nice little white ribbon, the little blue felt pouch that stops it from being scratched when in her jewellery box etc. I don't think the name impressed as much as the delight of opening all that packaging.

That night, we were having a b'day dinner party at a little restaurant downtown for a bunch of friends. We got downtown early so decided to check out Tiffany's again as we were in the area.

Now b'day, the day before valentines day, twilight with twinkling stars, white snow piled up around the sidewalk, dressed up to go out - when we got there with the red granite walls, shiny lights, friendly staff and so on, it was just right. Putting aside all the research, the wedding budgeting the comparison testing statistics, there should be some romance in there somewhere. The time was right, she was surprised and delighted - we got the .33.

Pics to follow shortly.

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Great Update, Can't wait to see more pic's..!
wavey.gif

pulp_princess

Shiny_Rock
Any ideas on what your wedding ring will look like?
1.gif

blakeo

Rough_Rock
Something like the one on the right side of this picture...

diaband_channel.jpg

Patty

Ideal_Rock
That's very pretty blaeko. And it sounds like the "setting" was perfect the other night for buying it!

pulp_princess

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations on your engagement! Those are lovely rings as well. Will yours match her wedding band somehow? A plain band from Tiffany's or something with more design....?
1.gif

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the update!
1.gif
It's always nice to hear how folks are doing!!
9.gif

Enjoy your big day!!
16.gif

Bing Chow

Rough_Rock
Trichrome,

I sent you an email.

Bing

blakeo

Rough_Rock
Pulp,

Re my band, I'm pretty boring. Will probably go for a plain high polish 5-6mm Pt 950 (5% ruthenium) comfort fit. Tiffay does do these (for around $1,300) but realistically in this situation you would just be paying for the little stamp on the inside of the ring and the blue box. Tiffany rings are apparently 950 Pt with the 5% being Iridium (if I remember from the sales clerk). I can get the same indistingushable thing for US$475 from Whiteflash, US$800 from Mondera, $850 from Blue Nile.

http://www.whiteflash.com/Wedding_Bands/Platinum-Half-Round-Bands_753.htm#

http://www.mondera.com/jewelry/product.asp?mscssid=63H4TJ21M01L9M4EBT52X3CSFR03D2S5

http://www.bluenile.com/product_details.asp?oid=3194&catid=127&filter_id=0&nav1=band_channel.asp&page=1&col=3&row=1&pos=3&set_shape=

blakeo

Rough_Rock
whiteflash

whiteflash mens 6mm band.jpg

blakeo

Rough_Rock
mondera

mondera mens 6mm band.jpg

blakeo

Rough_Rock
blue nile

bluenile mens 6mm band.jpg

blakeo

Rough_Rock
Tiffany & Co

tiffany wedband.jpg

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the update! It's lovely to hear more about how people end up with their wedding sets. There is something thrilling about that blue leather bag, isn't there? It's those dainty touches that make it all seem worthwhile.

blakeo

Rough_Rock
boxes

bagfeltcardbox2.jpg

pulp_princess

Shiny_Rock
I have everything but the white envelope. What's in the white envelope?
9.gif
I was getting so curious, but then I thought, maybe those aren't even his boxes and a picture that he found. Are you teasing?
1.gif

blakeo

Rough_Rock
The receipt.

I was quite surprised that there was no certificate to go with the ring - I thought they may provide one but I guess they only provide this for larger single stones (total Ct weight 0.33 over 9 stones).

pulp_princess

Shiny_Rock
Ah. That's why I don't have one. But of course!
1.gif
If I remember correctly, they don't provide certs for their multi-stone band rings, but if it's a 0.18 ct or larger in a solitaire, they do give you a cert.

blakeo

Rough_Rock
Question:
What to people usually get engraved on rings? My fiancee suggested the idea but I don't want anything too cheesy. Could put the date in, or initials. What's the max number of letters that fit?

Also, I've had a couple of e-mails asking me who the bloke was in Toronto who set my ring. I don't actually remember his name, but he did a great job. If you go to the Eaton Centre in downtown toronto, the south east corner of Yonge and Dundas has a new public square. If you go to the south west side of the square you will be standing outside "The Diamond Centre" - essentially around 8 floors of diamond merchants (primarily chinese). On the ground floor of the building is a small showroom with a number of vendors displaying everything from rings to earrings to pendants. There is a display stand in the centre of the room that has two seperate vendors exhibiting. I spoke to the most easterly of these. Sorry, that's about as accurate as I can get.

FYI 8 months later and the ring is in perfect condition. No issues at all. Might take the ring back just prior to the wedding to give the Pt a buff and polish.

As a related question, but not 'rocky talk' - does anyone have a good wedding reception play list?

Cheers
wavey.gif

blakeo

Rough_Rock
FYI - she got me the Tiffany band so we'd match.
rodent.gif

Daniela

Brilliant_Rock
blakeo,

I just love your story about your fiance's weddding band because it's very similar to our shopping experience at Tiffany's in Toronto when we bought my etoile band. I especially like what you say about the romance and the timing just being right, because sometimes that's what it boils down to. You have to know when to crunch numbers and when to let your heart lead the way. My fiance and I did the same thing--we both got bands from Tiffany's, but they are both different. That way they do sort of match.

Regarding your engraving question--if my band had allowed for it (it's got all of these holes on the inside because of the diamonds all the way around), my fiance and I would have engraved song lyrics on our bands. One half of the lyric on his, and one half on mine. I wanted "What you feel is what your are / And what you are is beautiful" (the Goo Goo Dolls) if it would fit. Anyway, I think it's a really different and meaningful idea, so give it some thought.

Daniela

Patty

Ideal_Rock
On my wedding band it has my hubby's initials and mine....DLC to MPN and the date of our wedding.

I always liked the M*A*S*H* episode where Hotlips loses her wedding ring. The engraving said, "Over hill, over dale, our love will never fail." When Hawkeye and B.J. replace it, they leave the "n" off "never." LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results