shape
carat
color
clarity

Brownish tone negative in colorless diamonds?

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Siamese Kitty|1291170238|2783660 said:
Wow- Circe, Paul, Yssie, Andelain, Amy, Rockdiamond, Kenny, Coati-thank you all for your responses and insight!

I think this is a really interesting topic. The question of the rarity factor, or lack thereof, is a good point. I'm glad to see I'm not the only person to appreciate this hue, though. Like Yssie mentioned and based on my observations, I think a brown tint can be pleasingly deceiving in the near colorless range in terms of face-up appearance.

Hmm...could this possibly be a factor for why some people are pleased with their J's, while others aren't? Or is this reaching?

All in all, I appreciate the feedback.

Gorgeous stones, Andelain and Kenny! Kenny, your colored diamond collection is really amazing!

That is indeed 'reaching'. Most stones in the warmer colours are in the yellow hue, so this is not the explanation.

However, I have seen labs grading brownish hues lower in colour than if they had a yellowish hue. For instance, what we saw as a H with a brownish hue (HRD would grade it 'H equivalent', where the 'equivalent' indicates that the hue is brownish, and the extent of the colour is H), American labs grade it simply J without noting the brownish hue. Given the limited experience we have with brownish hue-stones, I do not dare to say that this is a rule.

Live long,

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Paul-Antwerp|1291201547|2783937 said:
Wow- Circe, Paul, Yssie, Andelain, Amy, Rockdiamond, Kenny, Coati-thank you all for your responses and insight!

I think this is a really interesting topic. The question of the rarity factor, or lack thereof, is a good point. I'm glad to see I'm not the only person to appreciate this hue, though. Like Yssie mentioned and based on my observations, I think a brown tint can be pleasingly deceiving in the near colorless range in terms of face-up appearance.

Hmm...could this possibly be a factor for why some people are pleased with their J's, while others aren't? Or is this reaching?

All in all, I appreciate the feedback.

Gorgeous stones, Andelain and Kenny! Kenny, your colored diamond collection is really amazing!

That is indeed 'reaching'. Most stones in the warmer colours are in the yellow hue, so this is not the explanation.

However, I have seen labs grading brownish hues lower in colour than if they had a yellowish hue. For instance, what we saw as a H with a brownish hue (HRD would grade it 'H equivalent', where the 'equivalent' indicates that the hue is brownish, and the extent of the colour is H), American labs grade it simply J without noting the brownish hue. Given the limited experience we have with brownish hue-stones, I do not dare to say that this is a rule.

Live long,

That is very interesting Paul! There is one PSer who has a larger J that she feels is much less tinted than other Js of the same size evaluated by GIA/AGS, I wonder if this the case for her stone - and others like it? Of course, I am speculating about a stone I have never seen :))

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1291157024|2783341 said:
I love brown diamonds and look forward to getting one in an emerald cut like this:

I think that will be a very nice addition to your collection.

Siamese Kitty

Brilliant_Rock
Paul-Antwerp|1291201547|2783937 said:
Hmm...could this possibly be a factor for why some people are pleased with their J's, while others aren't? Or is this reaching?All in all, I appreciate the feedback.

That is indeed 'reaching'. Most stones in the warmer colours are in the yellow hue, so this is not the explanation. However, I have seen labs grading brownish hues lower in colour than if they had a yellowish hue. For instance, what we saw as a H with a brownish hue (HRD would grade it 'H equivalent', where the 'equivalent' indicates that the hue is brownish, and the extent of the colour is H), American labs grade it simply J without noting the brownish hue. Given the limited experience we have with brownish hue-stones, I do not dare to say that this is a rule.

Live long,

Haha, I thought it might be, Paul. Thank you for your insight. This grading difference you mention is really interesting. Rockdiamond mentioned he saw a G with a notation about brown. In the case of this H stone, do you think GIA overlooked the brownish hue and gave it a lower grade, failing to make a notation? Or is this a case where consistency is lacking? It seems your experience would lend more support to the argument of grading of face-up color. Would you agree?

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Paul and I have had some interesting differences of experience.
I've found that the only lab that really makes a difference is GIA.
AGSL , of course, is also trustworthy, however they have such a tiny market share - so it's hard to use them in a discussion like this.
So, for me, the only "American Lab" that we can point to is GIA- and in that regard, I've already mentioned that GIA is indeed, sensitive to any brown in a diamond- and will notate it. I've seen this in a fair number of instances.

Hats off to yssie- whose knowledge is truly impressive. :appl:

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
Interesting.
Before reading this topic, I thought that my new AGS I color (GIA J color) had a mesmerizing orangey/brown hue to it.
I can't find any yellow in it.
It's currently being set so I can't post any picture.
For me, grey is the less beautiful modifying color.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Definitely interesting Stephan!

I've had tons of experience with GIA- but very little with AGSL- I'd love to find a stone with a brown hue graded by AGSL, and then send it to GIA to see what they'd say......

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results