shape
carat
color
clarity

Bristol Palin Interview on Fox News

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Subtitle: Sarah Palin is a creepy control freak.

Did anyone else see the interview? I actually liked Bristol, and thought that she seemed like she''s keeping it together pretty well for an unmarried 18 year old with an infant. I loved it when she said that abstinence is "unrealistic" for teenagers. I bet that she (and Levi) wish that someone had taught them about condoms or other forms of birth control. She said that she really wished that she did not get pregnant at such a toung age.

Right before Greta got her to elaborate on how stupid abstinence-only education is, Sarah Palin unexpectedly busted into the interview, which Bristol didn''t look that happy about, and totally took over. She cavme off as being really creepy and controlling. I feel bad for all of her children.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a lot of respect for Bristol. I liked how she was open and honest. She spoke from her heart. That I can respect.

Her MOM? Is her 15 minutes up yet?? I am sorry, but I just don''t care for her at all.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/18/2009 8:25:39 PM
Author:vespergirl

Did anyone else see the interview? I actually liked Bristol, and thought that she seemed like she''s keeping it together pretty well for an unmarried 18 year old with an infant. I loved it when she said that abstinence is ''unrealistic'' for teenagers. I bet that she (and Levi) wish that someone had taught them about condoms or other forms of birth control. She said that she really wished that she did not get pregnant at such a toung age.

Right before Greta got her to elaborate on how stupid abstinence-only education is, Sarah Palin unexpectedly busted into the interview, which Bristol didn''t look that happy about, and totally took over. She cavme off as being really creepy and controlling. I feel bad for all of her children.
Lord. I just watched the " bust in" on Youtube. I didn''t see the original broadcast - did the poor girl get a word in edgewise after Mom left? She sure didn''t when Mom was there.
"Oh we were just by the river, and thought I''d pop in." Yeah right...

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
I can''t find the YouTube with the "bust in". The nearly 6 minute ones that I find are edited so that big Momma Palin is not present at all. I would love a link if you have it.
36.gif

beebrisk

Brilliant_Rock

Did anyone else see the interview? I actually liked Bristol, and thought that she seemed like she''s keeping it together pretty well for an unmarried 18 year old with an infant. I loved it when she said that abstinence is ''unrealistic'' for teenagers. I bet that she (and Levi) wish that someone had taught them about condoms or other forms of birth control. She said that she really wished that she did not get pregnant at such a toung age.

Are you saying that you believe that Bristol and her boyfriend didn''t KNOW about contraception because they weren''t taught about it??

Is there a 17 year old on the planet who doesn''t know about condoms??? C''mon.

Young lust and carelessness get lots of kids in trouble, but NOT because they weren''t "taught" about birth control. And while abstinence might be "unrealistic", an abstinent teen will never find her/himself in this position.

As for SP coming off as "creepy and controlling", well, yeah, whatever. That''s the least of what she''s been called.

E B

Ideal_Rock
The first minute or so of the interview was so awkward, I had to turn it off. How much is she going to reveal about her decisions leading up to her unplanned pregnancy?

Date: 2/18/2009 9:58:41 PM
Author: beebrisk

Is there a 17 year old on the planet who doesn't know about condoms??? C'mon.

Young lust and carelessness get lots of kids in trouble, but NOT because they weren't 'taught' about birth control. And while abstinence might be 'unrealistic', an abstinent teen will never find her/himself in this position.

The point is that abstinence-only education is useless as, to use your words, young lust and carelessness get lots of kids in trouble. When you teach a child that sex before marriage is wrong (period!), if they get caught up in a 'hot and heavy' situation, they're less likely to be prepared. Simply knowing about condoms or other types of birth control obviously isn't enough.

beebrisk

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/18/2009 10:12:19 PM
Author: EBree
The first minute or so of the interview was so awkward, I had to turn it off. How much is she going to reveal about her decisions leading up to her unplanned pregnancy?

Young lust and carelessness get lots of kids in trouble, but NOT because they weren''t ''taught'' about birth control. And while abstinence might be ''unrealistic'', an abstinent teen will never find her/himself in this position.

The point is that abstinence-only education is useless as, to use your words, young lust and carelessness get lots of kids in trouble. When you teach a child that sex before marriage is wrong (period!), if they get caught up in a ''hot and heavy'' situation, they''re less likely to be prepared. Simply knowing about condoms or other types of birth control obviously isn''t enough.

My parents and grandparents grew up in an era when it was the norm to teach that sex before marriage is "wrong...period".

Needless to say, most 17 years olds didn''t get pregnant then.

What we''ve got here is a culture that feeds kids all kinds of krap and pushes sexuality on them at an age when they should be maintaining a good deal of innocence.

So now, while teaching abstinence is an uphill battle, it still is the "right" thing to teach. Teaching abstinence isn''t the "problem". The problem is the culture. It''s all backwards.

But the culture fights against everything a good parent wants for their child. In cases like this the kids and the parents both loose.

I know there will be some eye rolling here again, but it''s the liberal culture that promotes this behavior. It''s the liberal culture that has allowed the saturation of our airwaves with sexuality and really bad role models. We now celebrate and patronize what would have been unthinkably sleazy and frankly degenerate just a few decades ago. Most parents are defenseless against such a force, and kids are the unfortunate victims of this mess.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/18/2009 10:32:22 PM

Young lust and carelessness get lots of kids in trouble, but NOT because they weren''t ''taught'' about birth control. And while abstinence might be ''unrealistic'', an abstinent teen will never find her/himself in this position.

The point is that abstinence-only education is useless as, to use your words, young lust and carelessness get lots of kids in trouble. When you teach a child that sex before marriage is wrong (period!), if they get caught up in a ''hot and heavy'' situation, they''re less likely to be prepared. Simply knowing about condoms or other types of birth control obviously isn''t enough.

My parents and grandparents grew up in an era when it was the norm to teach that sex before marriage is ''wrong...period''.

What we''ve got here is a culture that feeds kids all kinds of krap and pushes sexuality on them at an age when they should be maintaining a good deal of innocence.

So now, while teaching abstinence is an uphill battle, it still is the ''right'' thing to teach. Teaching abstinence isn''t the ''problem''. The problem is the culture. It''s all backwards.

But the culture fights against everything a good parent wants for their child. In cases like this the kids and the parents both loose.

I know there will be some eye rolling here again, but it''s the liberal culture that promotes this behavior. It''s the liberal culture that has allowed the saturation of our airwaves with sexuality and really bad role models. We now celebrate and patronize what would have been unthinkably sleazy and frankly degenerate just a few decades ago. Most parents are defenseless against such a force, and kids are the unfortunate victims of this mess.

But people married and started families earlier. My Grandmother had her first child at 19 (married), and several of my great aunts got married at 16. That was pretty normal. People didn''t "wait 10 years" back than like women do now. If you marry younger, you have less years to "mess up" and get caught up in the heat of the moment (this is after-all a biological drive, yes you can control it, but it is not easy - especially in a population that has not fully developed impulse control). Keeping children ignorant of all their options is not the best thing. I think you need to give them all their options, discuss the pros and cons of each, and let them make a decision, as they have free will, and will come to their own conclusions. The least you can do is have them come to their own conclusions based on factual data. They are old enough to make mistakes that might result in the creation if another human being that is depending on them to be responsible adults. They should be given the same options adults are given.

E B

Ideal_Rock
I agree, LtlFirecracker.

My parents and grandparents grew up in an era when it was the norm to teach that sex before marriage is "wrong...period".

Needless to say, most 17 years olds didn't get pregnant then.

What we've got here is a culture that feeds kids all kinds of krap and pushes sexuality on them at an age when they should be maintaining a good deal of innocence.

Given this difference, while stressing the importance of abstinence (only!) may feel like the right thing to do, is it the smart thing to do? You can't keep your child in a bubble, and criticizing the 'liberal' media does little to prevent teen pregnancy. Parents need to be realistic.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well said EBree and ditto LtlFirecracker as well.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well now that I have a daughter of my own, I can honestly say that handcrafting chastity belts for your children is fun! Watch for me on Etsy!!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can see it now TGal: "Now on Etsy, chastity belts for children between the ages of 8 and 30! Come one, come all! (Parents, this means YOU!)"

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
If it is the liberal media that corrupts young children''s minds, then why are all the super sexed-up shows on FOX?

AllieGator

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/19/2009 6:24:57 AM
Author: swimmer
If it is the liberal media that corrupts young children''s minds, then why are all the super sexed-up shows on FOX?

Haha! This made me laugh, Swimmer...I''ve always noticed the irony that while Fox News is the conservative network that chastises the liberal media, the Fox network has some of the trashiest shows on TV.

I''m just happy Bristol didn''t marry Levi...his family doesn''t seem like the best place for her and her new son. I always felt that Sarah Palin kind of forced her into that engagement, so she would look better for the religious right.

And I''m also happy that she admits that she wish she knew more about birth control-straight from the mouths of babes, learning about birth control is a GOOD THING. Who''da thunk?

beebrisk

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/18/2009 11:53:01 PM
I agree, LtlFirecracker.

My parents and grandparents grew up in an era when it was the norm to teach that sex before marriage is ''wrong...period''.

Given this difference, while stressing the importance of abstinence (only!) may feel like the right thing to do, is it the smart thing to do? You can''t keep your child in a bubble, and criticizing the ''liberal'' media does little to prevent teen pregnancy. Parents need to be realistic.

We worry every day about the air our kids breathe and the food they eat. What about their hearts and minds????

We don''t allow cigarette commercials on TV because it promotes unhealthy and destructive behavior. But Brittney writhing with a snake? No problem! "Bitches" and "Ho''s" on our CD''s? Piffle!

If what the culture serves up to our children every day isn''t worth criticizing and protesting, then I don''t know what is.

I agree, you can''t keep your child in a bubble, but you sure can open your mouth about it.

beebrisk

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/19/2009 6:24:57 AM
Author: swimmer
If it is the liberal media that corrupts young children's minds, then why are all the super sexed-up shows on FOX?

Fox News and Fox Entertainment are separate entities.

Who said they're not to blame for this too?

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium

If they get caught up in that situation, well, they can claim heat of the moment, mistake, (maybe a doozy, but still) and yet walk away with their indoctrination (I believe sex before marriage is wrong, period!) intact. On the other hand, if they PLAN for it by having a condom handy, well, that means they thought it through and came to a different conclusion than what was told them by their parents and their religion. Oh the cognitive and self-image dissonance THAT sets up. Talk about mental rebellion. Better to just not think about it too much, yes?

I find it interesting that her need to remain in denial was probably greater than her devotion to not shaming her parents. THAT one certainly kept me out of trouble. The thought of my mother''s disappointment in me was such a huge deterrent. I just couldn''t take the risk. And ironically, my mom never browbeat me with how wrong sex was. So I didn''t think sex before marriage (as a teen) was "wrong", just dangerous for me and those I loved. I pretty much knew I was too young, and that I couldn''t burden another with the possible consequences of my choice. But I suspect that isn''t the mindset of the average teen...I think we can safely say it wasn''t going through the mind of Bristol Palin.

AllieGator

Shiny_Rock
KSinger, I love everything you say! I''m with you...I''m rather young (20), and I''ve been abstinent so far. I don''t see sex before marriage as wrong, I just think at this point the risks outweigh the benefits. My parents, however, taught me everything about condoms and other forms of birth control. My best friend, on the other hand, had a parent who said "No sex. We won''t teach you any birth control, because it is wrong", and she''s the one of us that has a 2 year old kid.

Am I conservative? Heck no! I''m one of the most liberal people in my group of friends. I''m pro-choice, pro-sex ed. All I''m trying to say is that there are still those of us out there who make the decisions based on what we believe--not what we are told by our parents. And that''s one of the reasons I believe comprehensive sex education is so important.

PS, KSinger...I just read the book you have quoted in your signature. A great read!

akmiss

Brilliant_Rock
Teenagers are going to have sex. PERIOD. Bristol Palin knew about birth control and condoms but maybe it was the Southern Comfort, Jim Beam, and lack of parental supervision that led to her pregnancy...

I must say that my parents suggested that it would be better to wait until later in life to get married and start a family. I never even considered being a young mom or a young wife. I respected my parents wishes and had a great time during my 20s :) I am sure that Bristol Palin's friends were congratualting her and squealing with delight when she told them about the baby
38.gif
These girls are rather silly and immature. Believe me, I don't know her personally but live about 30 miles away and have heard many things.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/19/2009 3:38:17 PM
Author: akmiss
Teenagers are going to have sex. PERIOD. Bristol Palin knew about birth control and condoms but maybe it was the Southern Comfort, Jim Beam, and lack of parental supervision that led to her pregnancy...

I think the alcohol thing is not a very nice thing to say.

It is a little upsetting to me.

Legally, teenagers arent' supposed to be having sex, or drinking (age of consent does vary in certain states...I think 18 for where I am.) Much less combining sex and drinking! So it seem that not only are you accusing her of being irresponsible, it seems that you are trying to say that teenagers who get pregnant are irresponsible and reckless as those who commit date rape, DUIs, or some other socially maligned crime.

But maybe I am overly sensitive, after getting pregnant at 19.

akmiss

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/19/2009 3:47:16 PM
Author: JulieN

Legally, teenagers arent' supposed to be having sex, or drinking (age of consent does vary in certain states...I think 18 for where I am.) Much less combining sex and drinking! So it seem that not only are you accusing her of being irresponsible, it seems that you are trying to say that teenagers who get pregnant are irresponsible and reckless as those who commit date rape, DUIs, or some other socially maligned crime.

No, I am not saying that teenage mothers have drinking problems but Ms. Bristol was rather known for her partying ways....

oh, the legal drinking age in Alaska is 21.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Legally, teenagers can have sex. Legalities come into play when it''s the age of the other person they are having sex with.

There is no legal age limit on doing the horizontal mambo.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Is there evidence for this? Or is this anecdotal? Because my anecdotal evidence is that my dad''s foster mother, white and from the Midwest, was conceived out of wedlock. I''m pretty sure her mother was around that age. I believe it would be more accurate to say that pregnancy out of marriage was wrong, but sex before marriage was a little bit not as wrong as you claim.

That''s just my POV.
35.gif

JSM

Brilliant_Rock

I agree... sort of. One, most 17 year olds don''t get pregnant now. Two, 17 year olds DID get pregnant back then. They were just shuttled away and hidden from the mainstream population, gave birth, gave their child up for adoption, then went back to school after "visiting an aunt." My best friend is the product of a 15 year old mother - he''s in his 30s. Teenagers having sex isn''t anything new.

I think I''m to the point where I believe it really doesn''t matter how well you teach your kids about condoms and birth control. Teenagers are going to make their own decisions, which may or may not be based on information taught at home. Information is SO readily available nowadays, if they want it, they will find it. Regardless of their upbringing, whether strict, liberal, conservative, or open, kids will do what they are going to do. Teenagers can''t make the rational decisions adults can, but they make decisions and they make them on their own, for better or for worse!

I''m happy for Bristol because she has a great family network and people to help her raise her son. But I''m also sad because she''s lost the part of her life where she was going to find HERSELF, the part of her life where she was going to grow into her own person. Like she said, she''s now living for someone else. It''s a tough pill to swallow, especially when it could have been prevented.

My kids will know about condoms. After that, whatever people want to teach their children is their business. Kids WILL find a way to learn if they want to, and ignore info if they so desire. If people want to find out about birth control and can''t get the info from their home... well, that''s what google is for.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/19/2009 3:51:26 PM
Author: FrekeChild
Legally, teenagers can have sex. Legalities come into play when it''s the age of the other person they are having sex with.

There is no legal age limit on doing the horizontal mambo.

In California, it is 18.

California Penal Code - Part 1. of crimes and punishments -

* Title 9. of crimes against the person involving sexual assault, and crimes against public decency and good morals
o Chapter 1. Rape, abduction, carnal abuse of children, and seduction. - Section 261.5.
+ (a) Unlawful sexual intercourse is an act of sexual intercourse accomplished with a person who is not the spouse of the perpetrator, if the person is a minor. For the purposes of this section, a "minor" is a person under the age of 18 years and an "adult" is a person who is at least 18 years of age and older.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/19/2009 3:50:00 PM
Date: 2/19/2009 3:47:16 PM

Author: JulieN

No, I am not saying that teenage mothers have drinking problems but Ms. Bristol was rather known for her partying ways....

oh, the legal drinking age in Alaska is 21.

Ah, ok. I didn't know she had a reputation for partying/alcohol. I see where your comment comes from, now.

akmiss

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/19/2009 3:56:59 PM
Author: jsm

I agree... sort of. One, most 17 year olds don''t get pregnant now. Two, 17 year olds DID get pregnant back then. They were just shuttled away and hidden from the mainstream population, gave birth, gave their child up for adoption, then went back to school after ''visiting an aunt.'' My best friend is the product of a 15 year old mother - he''s in his 30s. Teenagers having sex isn''t anything new.

I think I''m to the point where I believe it really doesn''t matter how well you teach your kids about condoms and birth control. Teenagers are going to make their own decisions, which may or may not be based on information taught at home. Information is SO readily available nowadays, if they want it, they will find it. Regardless of their upbringing, whether strict, liberal, conservative, or open, kids will do what they are going to do. Teenagers can''t make the rational decisions adults can, but they make decisions and they make them on their own, for better or for worse!

I''m happy for Bristol because she has a great family network and people to help her raise her son. But I''m also sad because she''s lost the part of her life where she was going to find HERSELF, the part of her life where she was going to grow into her own person. Like she said, she''s now living for someone else. It''s a tough pill to swallow, especially when it could have been prevented.

My kids will know about condoms. After that, whatever people want to teach their children is their business. Kids WILL find a way to learn if they want to, and ignore info if they so desire. If people want to find out about birth control and can''t get the info from their home... well, that''s what google is for.
This is so true. It is a tough pill to swallow! But Bristol does have the support of her family and that makes all the difference in the world. I definitely don''t think that Bristol should be applauded for the situation. There should be no stigma around baby Trigg also.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock

Are you saying that you believe that Bristol and her boyfriend didn''t KNOW about contraception because they weren''t taught about it??

As for SP coming off as ''creepy and controlling'', well, yeah, whatever. That''s the least of what she''s been called.
Well, I''m sure that they knew aboyut condoms, but I''m also sure that the abstinence-only education programs innacurately told them that condoms don''t work and BC pills cause cancer, among other misinformation. All the fuel a horny 17 year old boy needs to convince his girlfriend that they DON''T need to use condoms comes straight from the lies they receive in their abstinence-only education classes. I can just hear it now, "Come on baby, we don''t need to use a condom, in health class they said they don''t really work anyway ..."

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/19/2009 2:06:54 AM
Author: TravelingGal
Well now that I have a daughter of my own, I can honestly say that handcrafting chastity belts for your children is fun! Watch for me on Etsy!!
LOL!
emsmilep.gif

Definitely. Maybe

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/19/2009 3:56:59 PM
Author: jsm

I agree... sort of. One, most 17 year olds don''t get pregnant now. Two, 17 year olds DID get pregnant back then. They were just shuttled away and hidden from the mainstream population, gave birth, gave their child up for adoption, then went back to school after ''visiting an aunt.'' My best friend is the product of a 15 year old mother - he''s in his 30s. Teenagers having sex isn''t anything new.

I ditto almost everything you said JSM.

I don''t think it matters what you teach your child they are going to be making their own decisions. I am 22 and can look at several different people I knew growing up and what they were taught. It didn''t matter if they knew about BC, were told not to have sex, condoms you name it. It was and still is all in their decision and theirs only. I think it also comes down to each persons level of maturity. Even if told to use a method of BC and to let their parents know, how many actually do? I can name a lot of people I knew in HS who were too afraid to tell their parents they needed some form of BC.

Also, I haven''t watched or seen much of Bristols interviews, but have they even said if they used any form of BC? Just because you use it doesn''t guarantee you won''t have a child. Sure you are less likely, but it can still happen.

I love that she has such a supportive family and enviroment to be raising her baby. Sure it isn''t the most ideal situation at 17, but she will still be able to grow into herself and maybe even into a better person because of it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results