shape
carat
color
clarity

Bringing in a diamond

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
So, I've chosen a diamond for viewing! I'm nervous, excited... you do all this searching, reading, I want to make sure this is the best option for me right now on all basis. Next Monday I'll see it in person, outside of the ideal scope and ASET, is there anything I should focus on? I want to be sure I don't miss anything that could make me unhappy later. :wavey:

Carat - 1.42
Measurement - 7.17-7.23 x 4.42mm
Color - J
Cut - Excellent
Clarity - SI1

Depth - 61.4
Table - 58
Crown Angle - 34
Crown Height - 14.5
Pavilion Angle - 40.8
Pavilion Depth - 43
Star Length - 50
Lower Half - 80
Girdle - med to slightly thick, faceted, 4.0
Culet - none
Fluorescence - none
Polish/Symmetry - excellent
HCA Score - 1.2

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is the grade setting inclusion that made it an SI1?

If it is 'clouds not shown' on the certificate then you will need to check for haziness. (IIRC :???: )

Don't forget to check it is eye-clean from the top and the sides - as an SI1 the inclusions may be visible from certain angles. If you can see them from the side but not the top, that may not matter if you are mounting it in a ring with closed sides or an intricate basket that shields the side from open view. (And you may not care even if you can see some from the top - it is personal choice, after all.)

It might also be worth checking it against a G/H/I/K selection, to see how you feel about the colour. Although, of course, you won't have a selection of stones on your hand when you are wearing it so, ultimately, judging it alone might be the best option.

Take some pics of it from the top / from the side / on your hand so you can look at them later without memory bias clouding your judgement.

Also make sure you view it in a range of lights - twinkly spotlights of the store, flat light from strip lights, flat light from the window, direct sunlight, dappled shade, etc. Ask them to take it outside if possible, although they might not want to.

I believe that if you hold it under the table to remove direct lighting, it will help illustrate if it is white and bright from edge to edge in dim lighting conditions.

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for your reply! There were no comments about clouding, I had seen that mentioned on some other options I was looking at on their GIA Report, but this one says, "feather, crystal, needle," and it shows where they're located. I know it doesn't say much to what I'll actually see in person of course, but a majority are on the side so I'm hoping most could be covered by a prong!

I haven't actually seen a GIA J color in person, I know I don't mind I color, so it was a bit of a risk bringing in something I haven't seen yet, but I thought it might be worth viewing. He did mention it was on the higher end of J as well, so we'll see how sensitive I am. So exciting!

I guess I just need to be honest with myself, view it the way I'd view in on my hand, I know he'll show it in all lighting or lack thereof, I just need to voice concern over what I see, and try to come up with a better option if this isn't the right one!

http://www.gia.edu/otmm_wcs_int/viewimage.jsp?IMG_TYPE=PLOTIMG&IMG_NO1=66C3693076F9D96ABDEA00E7DF338BA1&s=1466055513029

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Clarity/eye-clean: easy to tell
Light leakage/whitelight return: idealscope reveals
Contrast: idealscope reveals
Color: easy to tell

One thing that is hard to measure and verify is fire and sparkle.

My recommendation is to view some well cut diamonds at tiffany/cartier or birk and use those as reference.

For fire and sparkle, I like putting a diamond in a dark place (under a table) and use smartphone flashlight to see fire and sparkle characteristics from the pavillion main and lower girdle facets thru the table facet, and sparkle from crown facets.
Each facet (plus any virtual facet) in a well cut diamond should light up

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
Awesome, thank you! I shall do that! I actually own a Birks diamond ring too, maybe I'll bring it along.

I believe they have different light settings as they make video for people who aren't in town, but I'll definitely look at it with my phone flash light, that's a really good idea. 4 more days! :dance:

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
breanne|1466126041|4044984 said:
Awesome, thank you! I shall do that! I actually own a Birks diamond ring too, maybe I'll bring it along.

I believe they have different light settings as they make video for people who aren't in town, but I'll definitely look at it with my phone flash light, that's a really good idea. 4 more days! :dance:

That's great. If you already own a well-cut diamond and they have different light settings and with the idealscope image, it should be easy.

breanne

Brilliant_Rock
I'm hoping so, I know not to expect a D color IF stone, but I've never seen a GIA J color, I'm hoping I'm not overly sensitive to it. I love the process of looking through diamonds, so it wouldn't be the end of the world should I not like it, I don't mind I color, so I'd probably just bump up, and start the search again.

Here is the GIA report, look at the inclusions, what are your personal thoughts as to where they're located?

http://www.gia.edu/cs/Satellite?pagename=GST%2FDispatcher&childpagename=GIA%2FPage%2FReportCheck&c=Page&cid=1355954554547&reportno=1172593651

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results